Author Topic: Star Wars  (Read 13770 times)

Admiral Apocalypto

Star Wars
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:16:33 pm »
Which is your favorite?  Least favorite?

In last place, by far: Star Wars - Episode II: Attack of the Clones - This is just awful.  Aside from a few cool scenes (anything involving Jango, including his death), and it really didn't seem to want to rise above its role of connecting tPM to RotS.  4/10

Fifth place: Star Wars - Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - I know.  It's placing at fifth is going to be unpopular, but don't get me wrong, I still loved it.  But some recent information made me despise George Lucas even more.  The battle with Ewoks fighting off the elite stormtroopers?  That was originally supposed to be a Wookie battalion fighting them off.  That would've been so much more awesome, and would've made sense.  Either way, though, great ending with Vader.  7.5/10

Fourth place: Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace - Far too much hate to this movie.  There's no possible way the minor annoyance of Jar-Jar can take away the awesome that is Darth Maul, or the other awesome that is Liam Neeson as Qui-Gonn.  In fact, I'd be annoyed that they killed Darth Maul off in the first movie if it didn't serve to show how badass Obi-Wan was.  8.5/10

Third place: Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - The movie shows Anakin's transformation into Darth Vader, and Palpatine finally shows his importance.  While everyone knew since episode I that Palpatine was Sidious and the future emperor, just seeing everything being set in motion, whether it's Anakin becoming Darth Vader, and then nearly dying.  And what was easily the best part of the movie: Mace Windu going to arrest Palpatine, and the scene that followed.  Easily the best of the prequels, and the second best one that Lucas directed himself.

Second place: Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope - Simply released as Star Wars, it's what started it all.  It introduced us to all the characters, and it's what got me into science fiction.  I don't think any more needs to be said.  10/10

First place: Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - George Lucas, the best movie in your series is one of the two you didn't direct yourself.  This movie is perfect, down to its constantly misquoted reveal.  The only thing I'll say about this movie is this:

Vader: Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke: He told me enough!  He told me you killed him!
Vader: No.  I am your father.

So, anyone agree?  Or better yet, disagree?

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 12:26:13 pm »
Wow Sieck, you and I think quite a bit alike, at least in regards to fiction.  Not identical, but quite similar.  This is one of my favorite topics, and without going into the details too much, from worst to first:

BTW I fecking HATED Revenge of the Sith.  More than my own life.

III
VI - though I Really liked this as a kid, it doesn't do anything for me anymore.  I hate George Lucas.
II - I like this movie a lot visually and also the sound effects, and visually is one of my main ways of enjoying a movie.  The romance was ridiculous though, totally fake and unbelievable.  I also hated Yoda's lightsaber battle.
I - fun!
IV
V!!!  yeeeah!  by far my favorite.  a delicious movie.

edit: episode VI was essential and a good ending to the original trilogy though, which is really still what Star Wars represents in my mind, so in that regard it probably deserves more credit, but it's position is still accurate in terms of how much I would enjoy sitting down and watching it right now/how much I enjoyed it the last time I saw it.

but to be fair, it was the stupid "Special Edition" the last time i saw it.  I feel like they completely ruined the Jabba's palace scene with the stupid blues-singing furry guy.  Completely destroyed the illusion for me.  And/or I just got too old for Ewoks.  Didn't know about the Wookie thing though, that would have been cool.  Anyway maybe I'm being unfair to the original version, which I remember as being just Amazing when I saw it in the theater (as a kid).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:36:36 pm by UmberIsSexy »

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:40:04 pm »
I fairly comfortable having my least to most favorites being in ascending order, I to VI.

Admiral Apocalypto

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:42:14 pm »
Damn.  I was hoping for explanations and ratings for each movie, like I did, but at least there's some response.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 12:50:47 pm »
I will write them least to greatest in my oppinion, and explain why I feel this way.

1. The Phantom Menace. This movie sucks. The pod race/droid battle the the lightsaber dual was not worth my ten bucks or the hour I had to wait for it. Pretty much everything involving reall people talking sucked bantha ass. I liked the fish. Not even Liam Neeson vs Darth Maul cancles Jar Jar.    
2. Attack of the Clones.
A mediocre film with some cute "Palapatine talks directly to the camra" moments. As allways, Sam Jackson is a bad motherfucker and so is Yoda. Unfortunently, this is the film that destroys Darth Vader's street cred and makes him act like a pussy.  
3. Return of the Sith.
Yay the bad guys win! Finally the Anakin character does anthing romotely cool or intresting.  
4. Return of the Jedi. The Emperor is so vile he's lovable. And (duh  ::)) Leia as a slave girl.  :-[.
5. Star Wars. So much good dialouge. So many great moments.
6. The Empire Strikes Back. This ending is how things really are. In retrospect I would have been fine with just this one and IV. And it has the very best line in any of the flims. "Apology accepted, Captain Needa..."  
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Admiral Apocalypto

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 12:51:56 pm »
Ah, forgot to note on there, Episode III is 9/10.

kenny_b_kool

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 03:37:46 pm »
In my humble opinion, I believe that the original trilogy was the best, there should be no denying that. However how those three are placed at the top, well that is up to personal opinion. However the prequels, especially episodes 1 and 2, could've been cut down to two fights, Darth Maul, Qui-gon jinn and Obi-wan, and Yoda and Count Dooku.

The rest of the stories in those episodes, although somewhat important, were underdeveloped and frankly not made well at all.

Episode three however had made up for it, by being very well made, and freakin awesome, except an emofied hayden christianson, which would have to happen, because how the hell was he going to become Darth Vader. during revenge i was wishing that he wouldn't go down the dark path, and that was what made it for me, a movie, although i knew what was going to happen, that made me wish it wasn't going to. But still when he does turn, and the lava and the burning, makes me, and the saga complete.

btw i thank george,  because that was 95% of what i guessed Vader to be burnt like (I thought he actually fell into a volcano, but the whole volcano planet made it better)

Anyways... your opinion?

Admiral Apocalypto

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 03:49:39 pm »
Yeah, I didn't expect anyone to agree that not all three originals are better than all three prequels.

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 06:55:02 am »
If I get a bit of free time I'm going to go off on episode III.  To me, that was the one where Lucas finally gave us the big reveal.  The reveal of exactly how much of a bloated idiot he is.  It's kind of like he mooned us or teabagged us with his sweaty balls and then was like "fuck you, I'm out!" with a double flip-off.

Sorry, my coffee is a bit strong this morning. :)

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 04:12:16 pm »
Well here's my rant about Episode III - it's quite long, sorry.

1) I found the whole Anakin transformation to be unbelievable, and I credit that to bad writing.  ie, he always wanted to only do good-I don't see how that translates into slaughtering children and force-choking the love of your life, not to mention being willing to kill your master in cold blood.  This could have been done well, but all we got was alternating scenes of him acting quite normal and then acting like the evillest dude around.  There was no slow and private emergence of insanity, no subtle clues that his impatience with his station in life was giving birth to thoughts of conquest.  I mean, it was supposed to be there, but it was so completely fake and devoid of feeling, and mostly done in a hit-you-over-the-head way.  I just don't buy that guy becoming the Darth Vader of the old movies in the least bit.

2) The jedi council.  A) in their presumed wisdom (and Yoda is on the council! The Yoda I thought knew stuff about stuff!), they do everything they can to keep padawan that they know is the Chosen One, and is demonstrably the most powerful Jedi to ever have lived, at least in potential, from having any responsibility whatsoever, even though he's done years of missions as an apprentice.  They wouldn't even make him a Jedi Knight if I'm correct.  Presumably they thought that he couldn't handle his power and was a bit of a loose cannon.  HOWEVER, they thought it was fine to give him the assignment of keeping an eye on the dude they thought might be a Sith Lord.

3) The attempted capture of Palpatine.  That was so silly.  (His overacting is my favorite part of the movie though by far.)  But seriously, when he's all like "Aaargh!" and quite slowly and deliberately attacks the three Jedi that have come to take him and just basically runs the two Red shirts through without any trouble at all...and then Mace Windu falling for him when he plays possum...edit: sorry yeah Windu doesn't fall for anything, I misremembered.. the whole scene just seems like it's not even trying.  (except Palpatine with his absolutely awesome acting that is.  But it seems like he knows the movie sucks, and he's just going for a comedic performance.)

4) the dialogue.  Worst of all, as consistent throughout I-III, are the scenes where Anakin and Padme are alone.  But in this one, it was the worst.  It looks like the actors can barely get the lines out, they are so just awful and so far from what people would actually say to each other.

5) Anakin vs. Obi-Wan.  I do not buy that Obi-Wan would slice his former apprentice to bits without trying some good old-fashioned evasion and/or hindering him somehow with the force.  He also didn't even try a little bit to save little Ani when he was fucking on fire, burning slowly and painfully to death.  But most of all, you've got your two main characters of the whole prequel trilogy going at it in the final battle of the series, and it's just a kind of anticlimactic swordfight?  I would have liked to see some force stuff here that we've never seen before, or anyway some kind of epic struggle of wills.  As it was, the backgrounds were far more exciting than the actual fight.

I dunno, I just thought that this was some of Lucas' worst writing of the whole thing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:06:30 pm by UmberIsSexy »

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:03:47 pm by UmberIsSexy »

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 09:01:13 pm »
The best thing about episode three was it was all finally over!  :P
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 06:54:01 am »
watching videos on Youtube, I found that Yoda actually delivered the line "Not if anything to say about it...I have!" in episode III.

I'm sorry I'm going on about it.  I know no one really cares.  As they shouldn't.

Admiral Apocalypto

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 10:30:46 pm »

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 07:32:45 am »
yeah on second thought they are pretty good.  They're very well made, what with all the sounds and everything and the animation is good.  I don't know why I said they weren't awesome actually.  Way better than anything I could produce.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 09:33:12 am »
You know they actually told the story better than the  CGI loaded films.
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

parameciumkid

• Kinky
  • http://helia.heliohost.org
    • AOL Instant Messenger - parameciumkid
    • View Profile
    • Helia - The Girl in the Yellow Dress
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 06:43:08 pm »
Revenge of the Sith sort of deserved two ratings IMO, the first half's and the second half's.
The first scene was downright lame in terms of fail physics, fail droids, fail droid physics, and fail spaceships.
Dude, broadside cannons IN SPACE? I thought these people were supposed to be advanced, where did all the lasers and guided missiles go? This isn't Battleships Forever. Or the 17th century.
But, perhaps coincidentally, as soon as Grievous died the movie started being good. Lots of death, violence, and drama, but still relevance to the overall plot. It wasn't quite The Dark Knight or anything, but it was definitely better than the first half. Did I mention the broadside cannons in space?

P.S. I also wanted to rant about the windshield fogging... again, in space. THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN! Neither do glowing arcs in a vacuum. Or of course sound from engines, explosions, etc., but they've been doing that all along in pretty much every series except Firefly, so I can excuse that.
Hi.
I've been out for two years, so warn me if I act like I missed something obvious. ^^;

...oh, and to anyone who missed me, I'm open to hugs, kisses, and intense tearful cuddles.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 09:08:34 am »
Umm, isn't windshield fogging caused by condensed vapor on the inside of the glass/transparisteel/whatever?

Foof

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 08:22:48 am »
[rant]I found Revenge of the Sith to be an awful excuse for a Star Wars movie.  They had so much to explain, but only two hours.  They had to mash everything together and they decided to smash it instead.  I've seen the actors that were in that movie do so much better. [/rant] Then again, I grew up on the originals.  Those are the only Star Wars movies in my book.

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 10:13:56 am »
hi Foof!  Welcome!

Foof

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 07:34:50 am »
'Ello!  Thanks.  :)
Hm...I didn't really say which is my favorite.  Probably the Return of the Jedi.  And in last place...RoTS.

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 10:30:10 am »
yay!  We agree on one count which is that RoTS was bloody horrible!!

meet you at 6:00 with torches and pitchforks at George Lucas' house?

personally I hope they keep making them, but with a different writer and director.  George can even be involved if he wants, producing or whatever but give me someone or someones with some understanding of how to make plot and dialogue good.

Foof

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 12:33:30 pm »
I'll bring my light saber. ;)

More would be interesting, especially going into what happened after XI.  So much happens in the Star Wars universe after XI that people don't even know about.  I won't say, because I don't want to spoil anything.

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 01:19:34 pm »
I'll bring my light saber. ;)

More would be interesting, especially going into what happened after XI.  So much happens in the Star Wars universe after XI that people don't even know about.  I won't say, because I don't want to spoil anything.
yeah I've read some books and they were generally pretty good!

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 01:42:18 pm »
I used to be a fan of the young jedi knight series when I was younger, now I'm just curious to what the result would be of a stray star wars vessel entering 40k space or vice versa... XD

Tyris

• Slave Groupie
  • U Hrair
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tyris_stark
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 02:28:10 am »
Umm, isn't windshield fogging caused by condensed vapor on the inside of the glass/transparisteel/whatever?
Often, yes. In this case it was caused by one of the buzz droids cutting through some kind of hydraulic line (we're guessing either coolant, or the landing gear) that then sprayed all over the cockpit.

I used to be a fan of the young jedi knight series when I was younger, now I'm just curious to what the result would be of a stray star wars vessel entering 40k space or vice versa... XD
Three words: Kill the heretics!
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 09:50:17 am »
In order of least favorite to favorite:

Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Episode IV: A New Hope
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Although, I and II are pretty close for me.  Phantom featured some very good action sequences (pod racing and Darth Maul fight), but the plot was a bit too simple, and until the end of the movie, nothing much of importance happens.  It felt more like "we're here, now we go here, then there"---just actions, getting from Point A to Point B to Point C.  However, Anakin and Padme's romance in Clones was a joke, even though I liked the action sequences (again, this time the arena battle and the opening Clone War battle that followed) and Obi-Wan's solo mission involving Jango Fett.  I like Empire best for all of the reasons already mentioned, but mostly because it tells a story that matters.  Yoda and Luke's training is about growing up and learning to be an adult, Vader's story is about a father trying to reconnect with his son (in an unconventional way, but still  :)), and Han and Leia's budding romance was convincing because it happened slowly and fit the characters' personalities.  I also love the foreshadowing in New Hope, even if it was unintended (Beru:  "He has too much of his father in him", Owen:  "That's what I'm afraid of").  Plus, the character motivations were believable, and the story flowed nicely.  And while Revenge of The Sith wasn't perfect, I liked the Obi-Wan/Anakin dynamic, as well as the Palpatine/Anakin dynamic.  The contrasts between those two opposing relationships were sharp and--for me--provided a convincing enough reason for Anakin to turn to the Dark Side.  Padme should have been a much stronger character, though, and was ultimately a waste of Natalie Portman's acting talent.  But I did like her line about tyranny being greeted with applause.

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 11:24:48 am »
<a whole bunch of stuff>
I agree with a lot of what you said, and thanks so much for revitalizing this topic.  It's dear to my heart!

parameciumkid

• Kinky
  • http://helia.heliohost.org
    • AOL Instant Messenger - parameciumkid
    • View Profile
    • Helia - The Girl in the Yellow Dress
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 07:16:58 pm »
I made a Star Wars fanship - a star destroyer - using the Battleships Forever ShipMaker:

If you click the picture you can see the really amazing thing about it.
Hi.
I've been out for two years, so warn me if I act like I missed something obvious. ^^;

...oh, and to anyone who missed me, I'm open to hugs, kisses, and intense tearful cuddles.

akashayi

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 08:03:39 pm »