Author Topic: Intermission 36: Discussion  (Read 1648 times)

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
Intermission 36: Discussion
« on: October 15, 2019, 10:17:26 am »
This is the thread for discussing intermission 36, Polly's horror reviews!

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Re: Intermission 36: Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 06:53:52 am »
Ooh do Sleepaway Camp.
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 03:23:48 pm »
Sure!

Any other requests?

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 03:38:20 pm »
Errr why is there a page reposted?

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 05:37:04 pm »
I accidentally posted a different page at first.  Try refreshing.

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 11:06:24 am »
Now I'm interested in Dawn of the Dead.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 01:33:23 pm »
Now I'm interested in Dawn of the Dead.

I guess my little comic has done some good in the world!

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 04:37:54 am »
Yeah it was kinda a less scary film, and more a psychological film about the kids themselves (which I suspect was the point, having also watched Sleepaway Camp 2 and 3 (and I think there was a fourth one where Angela was in disguise for 9/10 of the movie)).  However, less in terms of Of visceral blood and guts and undeath stuff, and nore in terms of creative deaths, this one gets an extra point for me (the chili murder, especially).

There were five actually, the fifth is called Sleepaway Camp IV. I saw Return to Sleepaway Camp (which I guess is so called because it's kinda after Angela ostensibly stops killing and they focus, mostly, on another kid).

I do agree with the assessment that this is more a movie to watch with friends.  I happen to know the Happy Camper song, cuz it sticks in your head.

"Ohhhhhh~ I'm a Happy Camper, I love the summer sun, I love the trees of forests, I'm always having fun, oh I'm a Happy Camper, I love the clear blue skies, and with the grace of God I'll camp until I die."

Well sorta. I had to verify some of the lyrics.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 04:46:26 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 11:26:32 am »
I coulda said this in the review, but I think it almost comes across as an unintentional parody of Friday the 13th.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 10:44:53 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's intentional, honestly.  The writers are brilliant. They managed to parody both Jason and Freddy (in one of them, two kids actually dressed up as them only to be killed off by better versions of their weapons, Freddy had a machete while Angela had a chainsaw, and she had some real claws as opposed to fake for the other kid) as well as keep coming up with clever way (often poetic justice) to kill off most of them. And the fifth movie, Sleepaway Camp IV, from what I saw was just poorly pieced together footage from the first three films to kinda tie together a plot in flashbacks, making a sort of bad indie vibe.

Blair Witch, on the other hand, I fully agree with that one rating. Pseudo-amateur photography does not a good film make.

I saw two horror genre films that were pretty good.  One was called Frozen (not to be confused with the Disney musical, this had three ski buddies try to game the system, and wound up stuck on a slope when it turned out the place closed for a full week, it had alot of creepy slow dread that not many horrors have and alot of character development) and the other Feng Shui (2004, it was a a Filipino made one, but the ending twist was great; it basically involved a woman buying a cursed Ba Gua mirror that brought good and bad fortune in huge amounts).  The second may be hard to find, though I think Netflix had it.  Nvm, Prime Video you can rent for like $3.

Oh yeah, and ZomBeavers (surprisingly scary, since they pop out of nowhere and they didn't find ANY way to kill them, but it also had a silly premise that those bitten slowly turn into beavers) and Konchu Daisenso (aka Genocide, aka War of the Insects 1968, gets points both for being a disturbing movie about bugs and for the fact that it involves a nuke blowing everyone up; it seems hard to find though, I only saw it on TCM).

(To parody the Dos Equis guy)
I rarely watch horror movies, but when I do, I like them interesting.

But yeah, I do not like over-the-top violence and gore, I like the sort of hopeless dread that you get from Lovecraft films, where the real monster is something really beyond the killer/monster (what was so interesting about the Sleepaway Camp series, the pervasive sense of something seriously wrong with the campers far more than Angela). I also like the idea of building this sense of complete terror slowly over the entire movie until at last you are completely shaken.  The sense I like to get is when you play Final Fantasy and turn critters into stone for hours straight only to have a vivid nightmare of your family getting petrified watching television (actually had one of those).  The slow creeping intense horror is far more terrifying that a monster or evil man.  Needless to say, I was far more affected by the Dark Cell than by Bloody Mary.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 10:54:35 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 10:55:33 am »
I actually like Blair Witch, so this is an example where Polly's opinion differs from my own!

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 09:17:28 pm »
Ah I see, so the characters don't always follow their creator's interests.
—Edward D. Morrison

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 01:06:09 pm »
She's got a mind of her own, that Polly!

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 03:30:54 am »
Believe it or not, my introduction into the horror genre  began as a church-based sleepover with a bunch of kids, watching Stephen King films. Specifically,  we watched Children of the Corn and the entirety of It in one sitting.

I also saw my first adult (i.e. non-cartoon) movie walking in midway in like a prison movie. I probably blocked some details.

And reportedly, I used to be in a "Fun Factory" sort of preschool thing where the woman there told all the boys that they were scum because feminism. I am somehow not more traumatized. My dad figured this out and pulled me from it.

Oh wait, that's because  at about 6 and about 9, on two separate occasions, my bro thinks it would be fun (or something) to dress me up as a girl. I have a theory about why mant people are trans (myself included) and I'm pretty firm in the camp that no it's not something genetic. Alot of stuff was done to me as a child, and most of it I came to terms with. I'm okay with being kinda genderfuild. Not as much with having issues relating to people, and feeling isolated by stuff. 

And the anime Monster really disurbs me because it has a group of children given a bunch of creepy books (The Monster With No Name) and movies to perform psych experiments on them. Along with the whole deal wirh Johan and stuff. I'm not sure how much anime you watch though.

Anyway, the It miniseries was good. I had no desire to see a CGI remake though.

----------------------------------------------

Update: from Terror Vision, it looks kinda like the Pit monster (creepy clawed thingy), a Maytag template, and the teenager looks kinda like Moby. Medusa is kinda like Suspiria. And the boyfriend looks kinda like Kindred.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 05:23:28 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 06:59:47 am »
Any chance Polly will be doing "Room 1408" ? With both endings of course. I find it is one of the best.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2019, 11:40:05 am »
Nope, sorry.  I just finished the rest of them, and didn't include that one.  But I do remember liking that movie!

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2019, 03:12:46 pm »
Now I wanna watch Phenomena too XD

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 06:30:15 pm »
Good!  You should!

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 03:43:23 pm »
Tonight we will be doing a special Halloween stream: special guest Jennifer will be playing horror games! It's the "Let's Scare Jennifer To Death" stream special!

https://www.twitch.tv/flipsider99