Comics Discussion > Flipside Discussion

Did the anti magic sphere fail to completely counter Suspiria?

(1/2) > >>

SirBananaPie:
I've been thinking for a while about the scene where Moby snapped at Suspiria and Crest and pushed them both over the edge, and the more I think about it, the less sense it makes. She sounds out of character, like a bitchy teenager, probably just like how Suspiria remembered her from school. She could of course theoretically still be that way, but there are a bunch of reasons why this isn't normal for her under the circumstances:

1. Isn't she a Phalanx soldier? Don't these people have professional emotional training to deal with difficult situations, e.g. staying focused in the face of death, but also staying forcused during a mission, if not all the time?
2. They knew that they were powerless against Suspiria. But they went on this all but hopeless mission anyway, with one goal: Support Crest to give him an opportunity to talk to Suspiria and maaaaaybe she won't kill everyone. So, what are you not supposed to do? Yell at Suspiria. And what else are you not supposed to do? Yell at Crest. And what else are you not supposed to do? Lose your shit while being inside a dangerous room that nobody was supposed to enter, ever, while also being in the presence of Melter and Bloody Mary. Did Moby realize any of that? Nope.
3. Why did nobody stop her and make her regain focus until shy Regina dared to speak up? Regina's not Phalanx, right? I don't thinkg that Phalanx training makes you stupid. I prefer to think Suspiria bent reality so much that nobody was able to stop her in time?

Thus I can only conclude that the anti magic sphere didn't cancel out all of Suspiria's influence. Maybe for Crest, because he was holding the thing, and maybe for Regina, because she held it right before (so the reality-bending had to start over for her), and Melter held it the day before (and possibly Mary, too) but not for anyone else.

I know I keep making fun of the Phalanx and the Conclave for looking like incompetent buffoons almost all the time (except for Qtalda), but Moby outclassed everything I've read so far by a rather large margin and nobody had the sense to intervene. That can't be right. I mean, until now the stupidest thing I've read a Phalanx do so far was Glyph eating the poisoned sandwich before he made out with Bernadette in the pool. I believe that an elite soldier should've been taught about poisons and how to analyze food, but that was merely a rather large mistake that can happen if the guy prefers to analyze women over analyzing anything else. I guess he was also caught off-guard by the fact that the hotel seemed like a nice and safe place. A stupid and big mistake, but nowhere near the mistake of losing focus in the worst danger zone they've ever been in.

So, what does everyone else think? Was Moby herself or not? The sphere likely comes from that continent where level 6 sorcerers are relatively common and the thin man should be rich enough to afford something of adequate power. Did Melter analyze Suspiria's power by himself or did the thin man paint the answer and Suspiria has gone beyond level 7 by now?

SirBananaPie:
Nobody? Not even Moby-fan sunphoenix? This is the thread where I contemplate that it might not have been her fault that she screwed up the mission in the worst and stupidest way possible.

bulmabriefs144:
It's just easier to call her a *****. I tried to explain things, but mostly everyone froze cuz she went way off the rails.Everything that happened is a result of her screwing up with handling Suspiria.

UmberIsSexy:
Well she was reacting to someone's death, which she blamed on Suspiria, so it's understandable that she got emotional.  However, I agree with everything you said about the Phalanx members.  They're more like teen titans go than a well-trained magical swat team.  Kin did also seem pretty disciplined I suppose, in addition to Qtalda.

SirBananaPie:
@bulma:
Okay, that is an easier explanation indeed, but I am willing to give her the benefit of a doubt, because if you turn out to be right, then all the things I listed above make her and the others look SO bad. Until now I enjoyed saying that the Phalanx is just there to get worfed, but this screw-up would go above and beyond anything I dared to expect them to fail at.

@Umber:
Hahaha, I love the Teen Titans Go comparison. That seems to be all the Phalanx have left without the Conclave and without Kin (except for Qtalda of course).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version