Author Topic: Japan Break  (Read 2787 times)

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
Japan Break
« on: October 21, 2018, 01:56:22 pm »
Hey everyone, I have some news.  Over the next week, I will be travelling back to Japan!  It'll be my first time back there in 5 years.  I am really looking forward to it, it's going to be the first vacation I've taken in awhile.<BR><BR>

That's the good part... the bad part is that since we moved, things have been very busy and I dont have any buffer pages ready, so I'm gonna need to take a week off from Flipside.  Sorry about that (especially as in the middle of this arc, every page is a cliffhanger.)  Hope you understand!

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Re: Japan Break
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 03:34:21 am »
We understand. But yeah, the suspense is killer (you just ended with Crest asking the right question, where none of us have any idea what this means). I think Gunnerkrigg Court is also on break. As are my parents  for the next week.

Sorry, didn't mean to do the Jewish Mother guilt trip thing. (Rants about how they'd like to see grandchildren)
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 04:49:55 am »
Japan is a beautiful country! I've been there once, too. Enjoy yourselves and don't worry about us. I am currently reading about two dozen web comics and I have a bunch of other hobbies as well.

If Gunnerkrigg is that good then I might as well read that one to pass the time.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 07:43:53 am »
It's that good. It's on par with Flipside, although between the two, Gunnerkrigg is far more goofy and funny. The art shifts a lot, just a heads up.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/index.php?p=1064
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=42
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=701
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1319 (btw, two pages later they show how other characters see this scene)

A sample of the comic.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:46:04 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 01:10:57 pm »
Thanks for the links, but I think I shall prefer to read it from the beginning.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 01:14:56 pm »
It's intended to be read from the beginning.

The links were to provide a cross-section so that you got a sense what the series is like.

Like, whenever I go to a new series, I have to adjust to the new one or I get a sort of "culture shock" since it's different from what I'm used to.
—Edward D. Morrison

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 01:05:29 am »
Are you gonna stock up on Manga?

On second thought, in Japan, I guess it's all in Japanese...

Such a great country to visit in my limited experience.  I don't know where you're going exactly, but Halloween is sure to be fun (and sexy as hell...)  Last year I went to Universal Studios in Osaka and they had zombies storm the whole park after dark, with swat teams battling them and everything...plus around half the park customers were in costume.  Never seen so many sexy-looking moms.  But just the subway alone was full of young girls in super skimpy but also stylish costumes.  :-* :-* :-* (Well, the guys also had great costumes too!!!)

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 01:25:47 am »
I'm back from Japan now!  If you're curious to see pictures of my trip, I've been posting them on my personal and Flipside Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

As you can see, what with Youmacon this weekend, I'm just posting comics about my Japan trip for the rest of this week.  But the normal comic will resume next week.  It was tough with the Japan trip and a convention back to back.

And to answer your question, no I didn't get on any manga.  Though maybe I should have, would have been good practice for reading Japanese.  Shibuya I heard had a crazy Halloween celebration but unfortunately I missed it!  Oh well, still saw lots of cool stuff!

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 05:14:05 am »
We went to the UK, and it was awesome. Now it's kinda not. "Multiculturalism."

I guess my point being, it's like we visited a canal in China after college and they had this seaside art, like a mosaic fish. And townsppl be damned they were gonna build a new irrigation system cuz PROGRESS and that area was gonna rise to the point where the sculpture could no longer be seen.

You never know how someone's gona ruin the experience. When you said "hope we get to see it again" I just thought of how some countries I visited, I don't wanna go back cuz big government has tried making stuff homogenized, so there's nothing to see anymore.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 05:20:16 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 02:46:21 pm »
Life IS change... not always for the better.. but it is inevitable.
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 08:13:27 pm »
So true, I was sort of talking about that with a friend last night, although it was about technology.  He seemed to think we should all band together and protest the development of technology, as if it could be stopped.  He referred to the movie "Wall-E" as an example of the imminent doom of humanity.

Brion, welcome back from vacation, sounds like you had a good time.  Thanks for the Japan Trip comics!!  Stay away from ferrets and ferret cafes!  Stay primarily in Cosplay cafes.