Author Topic: Flipside Live Action Series  (Read 3233 times)

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
Flipside Live Action Series
« on: July 30, 2018, 08:29:35 am »
Hey I have a question for you guys.  Hypothetically, suppose there were going to be a Flipside live action series.  Just wondering, how would you feel about that?

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Re: Flipside Live Action Series
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 06:47:58 am »
Up to you. Personally, I think fantasy series are logistically hard to do (the special effects deal) while those same actors can do an animated show (already proven you can draw). There's also the time expense, but if you can manage to keep up with the comic, and do other projects, then yeah go for it. I think I'd prefer animated to live action, because I'm anime fan.

However I just did a quick search. Animated shows are usually done in batches, so it takes the same amount of time to do one episode as 12 or 24. This is with a team and it's hard to wrap my head around. Generally speaking, you set aside about a year for a season because it's a labor-intensive process. Live action with all of the stop frame stuff of special effects, has to look real (different from cartoon drawing), so while you could just get actors, and it would take less time than say animating, it might still be labor intensive.

I'd say do research into both, see which best suits your needs.
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 09:32:57 am »
I think Mrs Briefs has the right of it.. animation that YOU would approve of would take YOUR direct hand and would be VERY time consuming... a live action would be less time consuming from you.. but then you have to deal with getting actors that can satisfactorily portray the image you have only clearly in YOUR mind as to the personalities and mannerisms of the characters you have designed.  In truth your the only EXPERT in the world on how say... Maytag would deliver a particular line... something you would have way more control over in an animated flick than in a live action.

But the advice is sound.. look into both and see what level of commitment to the project YOU are willing to invest!

I'm a fan so.. I'd be tickled pink to see Flipside in Either format!
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 11:57:05 pm »
If possible, you might look into some sor of free digital editor (like GIMP) and make a sort of premade sprites (similar to what I do in rpgs). Each character would take dozens of poses but when it's time to anime, all you do is add that to a layer by importing to the thing. This would take a lot of time at the start, but once you had poses from each character, as many as needed, an average thing would take alot less time. For instance, if Maytag has a distinctive run, the only time you'd draw different is for a sprint, so animated would make sense if you finished prebuilt characters.

I'd say try Book 0, and see what works. Also if you need voice actors, one of the big advantages of animation is they don't need to be on set. When I was making Oracle of Tao, I hired (well they were volunteers) voice actors from UK and Scotl using something called StarNow.com

Basically whatever you do, figure out how to do it time and money saving, so you cab keep doing it.
—Edward D. Morrison

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:51:32 am »
How about you start small? Pick out some scenes you'd love to see in live action and see if it works out. For starters you can aim for a scene that takes 10 to 30 seconds. Then you can see if it works for you and for the community. It also doubles as a nice advertisement for the comic if the result is decent.

What is it you would like to see come to life? Is it
a) action-related? Seeing Bernadette's Split Rose in action would be fascinating, though very challenging to pull off convincingly. I recently watched the very first Highlander movie and was like "Oh my god is THAT supposed to be swordplay on a professional acting level?" Or try watching the old Star Wars movies again. Good swordplay seems to be insanely difficult to pull off.
b) design-related? I.e. inviting some cosplayers to do some dialog, comedy, drama, mystery revelation or otherwise? That would certainly sound doable.
c) fanservice-related? Sex is one of the dominant topics in this comic, but if that's the first thing you do with live action it might lead to negative feedback.
d) special effects-related? Starting from something seemingly simple like the flying sphere Bernadette's friend has to Bloody Mary vomitting a fear-inducing... thing, to blasts of magic and explosions in general, to Q'Talda's barrier + her death spell that eats the enemy. That sounds super difficult as well.

Depending on what you want to do, it varies from being doable task to being an insanely huge task. I think it'd be quite a bit less insanely huge with animation (especially money-wise), but still tons of work.

So, what is it you're contemplating?

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 01:07:38 pm »
Might wanna try starting small. Do a Book 0 and try the main only once you're further along with the series so as not to go into sidetrack hell.

Depending on whether you decide on live action of anime style, the aesthetic is a big thing. Honestly, the latter, I can see more of a 80s/90s vibe while the live action is more like Game of Thrones (but I imagine your budget isn't enough to do convincing scenery and effects for live action). I remember some of your settings being over-the-top especially some of your cities.
—Edward D. Morrison

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 01:35:21 am »
So, Brion, are you still reading this?

As for book 0: If you choose this chapter, then maybe redo that one scene where May didn't seem to care about getting raped. Just let the thugs say they're going to torture her instead.

But generally speaking I believe your story-telling kept improving over time, so I'd prefer something from a later chapter. May's insane laughter came across a lot more convincingly when Mary ate her arm or when she was in Dark Cell Phase 2. When facing thugs in later chapters May instead switched to her cold poker face and used words for manipulation. I preferred that.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 08:13:33 am »
Still working on this?

If you want good fighting special effects, I recommend watching some Wuxia genre shows or films.  Get ahold of a movie called A Man Called Hero, or a show called Condor Hero.  These sorts of things have good ideas for fight scenes, especially with how fast Bern is in battle.

I'd also say use some of these special effects could be covered cheaply mixing drawn animation with live action.
—Edward D. Morrison