Author Topic: Chapter 51: Discussion  (Read 20316 times)

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chapter 51: Discussion
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2018, 08:22:18 pm »
Same... I'm not sure what to think... oh.. I've ALWAYS had a large spike through my brain...{shuulluulkk}... there pulled it free some things coming to me kn~ [THUD!!!~]
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2018, 03:37:09 am »
Okaaaay... this is an interesting development. I am curious how Brion is going to get his characters out of this one. Maybe some help from the outside? Maybe it has something to do with the time-loop Melter can apparently do?
But even if that isn't the case, seeing that revival is possible in this world I can't rule out that Crest is actually going to die.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2018, 11:51:21 pm »
Resurrection is out. According to what Brion told us about the process, brain injuries are no go. I have a few ideas, but we're gonna hold off with those for the time being. It's possible this is a really suck time loop that keeps repeating until Suspiria makes things right with Crest. The other option has something to do with a power that Suspiria used earlier. No hints.
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2018, 12:13:31 am »
The more I look at them, everybody's faces, including Crest's, look more surprised than horrified...which is probably good news.

Oh plus Moby said "What??" instead of "NOOOO!"  Actually, now I realize it's kind of obvious that everyone's reacting to something surprising rather than something bad.  I think I'm just pointing out the obvious.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2018, 04:27:15 pm »
I think we are about to discover a thus far hidden power of that LEGENDARY SWORD Crest is wielding.  Crest should be dead... but he has NOT released his grip on the sword..curious? :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 04:29:45 pm by sunphoenix »
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2018, 01:03:33 pm »
That's uhhh really creepy that he has a freaking hole through his head and he's like "No Worries!"
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2018, 02:34:35 pm »
WOOT!!!  Suspira loves YOU Crest!!! :-*

Daris

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2018, 02:42:10 pm »
Whooo!   Go Crest!  Break through and become a Hero!

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2018, 08:01:21 pm »
HAH! Here we go! Told you guys! 😋 Crest is my boy! (Pauses) Now, just for meanness, watch Brion throw us a curveball...  😏😆

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2018, 11:45:27 pm »
Eh, he has been alternating hope and despair on a page-by-page basis for the most part after the monster lifted the ground. :P
Right now I'm just sitting back and waiting until he's done with the curveballs.

I think on the next page the monster should stab Moby, like it stabbed Crest back then. Or maybe Regina. Yes, Crest would care about Regina more than about Moby I guess. We need more dead people.

Daris

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2018, 01:31:54 am »
I'm just glad Crest is finally acting!  He's actually growing into the potential he showed.  Sure, it cost a lot... but still!

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2018, 03:44:20 pm »
A bit disappointing result, I thought it would be a bit more serious for a bit longer, but the sword deal, is a bit too much for me...
But then Bern sword got some other power in usage, so maybe that's a given power of any magical weapon, they always have a hidden second mode which will get used and revealed in perfect moment to save their users from certain fate when needed.

I still hope to see this Crest arc to end (to finally get back to the duo of MCs I actually started and still read the comic for even if I can't see them for more than a year of real life time by now in the actual storysince I don't care at all about Crest) with something interesting cause I actually belived the characters would try to work together to get out of this mess than it being resolved just like that with magical weapon outcome.

Or we will soon learn all of them were just sleeping and everything happened in their minds :P

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2018, 04:56:05 pm »
"I think I'll call this ability "Instant Karma""

https://youtu.be/GPXkjtpGCFI?t=9s

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2018, 07:45:26 pm »
Karma attack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe2Pq3n9Euo

Kiran, I think some of your dissatisfaction about pacing is from the fact that you're confusing sword abilities for sword wielder.

In Bern's case, it wouldn't be much good except for a Split Rose wielder. In Crest's case, it took awhile for him to figure out that his sword is basically an extension of Suspi's feelings for him. When viewed this way, it's less a cheap giveaway and more something they managed by character development or skill.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:56:59 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2018, 08:30:23 pm »
And if you don't like the free Web Comic... you Don't have to read it.

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2018, 12:52:24 am »
Suspiria has been shaping the world like a god, so as a writer it must be really difficult to not make something look like a Deus Ex Machina. I mean, the characters are currently dealing with someone who has the powers to create random Deus Ex Machinas all over the place as if they were in the Matrix and they need to figure out how to deal with someone like that. I think it's legit to assume that Crest's sword received an ultimate attack because of that.

While I do prefer Maytag and Bernadette over Crest, I also do prefer Mary and Suspiria over the others, so I'm perfectly happy with this arc. :) Okay, Mopey is still alive, but you can't have everything. At least Glyph died. 8)

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2018, 04:41:13 pm »
Actually, I'm a sucker for blondes... I'd really like to see moby find real love.

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2018, 01:31:47 am »
Blonde? http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=2263  ;)

But yeah, I kinda suspected you might like Moby, because there was the occasional hint here and there. Which is why I'm wondering if you believe that she messed up the whole thing by herself or if Suspiria's powers forced her to snap despite the sphere. I made a thread about it, because there are quite a bunch of things that seemed off in her behavior, even if you include the fact that joining Phalanx makes you dumb. ::)
http://flipside.keenspot.com/forum/index.php?topic=9123.0

Daris

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2018, 12:00:39 pm »
Well, of course joining Phalanx makes you dumb, every time you join a secret organization full of elites, you become cannon fodder for the real bad guys/badasses.

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2018, 01:31:12 pm »
If they even make it that far at all. Most of the conclave died because Suspiria has difficult emotions.

Daris

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2018, 03:00:00 pm »
IE became canon fodder for emotions.  It reminds me of the law of conservation of ninjutsu

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2018, 10:21:31 pm »
Suspiria has been shaping the world like a god, so as a writer it must be really difficult to not make something look like a Deus Ex Machina. I mean, the characters are currently dealing with someone who has the powers to create random Deus Ex Machinas all over the place as if they were in the Matrix and they need to figure out how to deal with someone like that. I think it's legit to assume that Crest's sword received an ultimate attack because of that.

While I do prefer Maytag and Bernadette over Crest, I also do prefer Mary and Suspiria over the others, so I'm perfectly happy with this arc. :) Okay, Mopey is still alive, but you can't have everything. At least Glyph died. 8)

As someone who is also writing a story about someone very OP (the story is called Oracle of Tao, and there's a video game of it, and I'm trying to make a novel), there are certain tricks to it.
1. Extremely slow caster (Grune from Tales of Legendia, most summoners, Ambrosia in my game, etc).
2. Make them turn out to be a villain (Sephiroth, also Grune sorta, alot of characters actually)
3. Make them turn out to be a deity (also Grune, also Ambrosia)

And of course there's kill them off, make them the Ace (what TvTropes calls a heroic background character), or introduce Kryptonite into the setting.

But this isn't an accurate  list because there are two others: make their powers have some sort of drawback or make them so strong that they have to hold back or blow everything up.

Ambrosia starts out with a sort of slow-cast tai chi power powered by tattoos, in the end of the first part she learns she is a deity but mainly what changes is that  her power is now kinda normal speed and stronger, she can't use her  deity powers (doing some means she takes up her power's responsibility and is hamstringed by its restrictions), and she get The Ace treatment until the ending where her daughter mostly takes the limelight.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:31:48 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2018, 08:01:07 am »
Blonde? http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=2263  ;)

But yeah, I kinda suspected you might like Moby, because there was the occasional hint here and there. Which is why I'm wondering if you believe that she messed up the whole thing by herself or if Suspiria's powers forced her to snap despite the sphere. I made a thread about it, because there are quite a bunch of things that seemed off in her behavior, even if you include the fact that joining Phalanx makes you dumb. ::)
http://flipside.keenspot.com/forum/index.php?topic=9123.0

Hey answered your Thread on Moby... sorry I missed it!

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2018, 11:28:10 pm »
Thanks! And very elaborate, too. :) I'll need some time to read all of it.

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2018, 12:11:42 am »
That's the problem with having too many eyes!!  Sure, they're scary, but if you get blown up they fly everywhere and everyone laughs.

"Instant Karma" I love it.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2018, 04:49:53 am »
heh.  Now THATS some superhero shit!  Way to go Crest!

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2018, 10:11:18 am »
Lame attack is the key word to use here :P
Maybe I'm indeed too old to read this comic anymore which turned more into teenage boy wet dream seeing today's page over the year of Crest chapter than what it was before a comic told mostly from it's female characters perspective which intrigued me more.
I suppose I read this comic for different things than the few readers above me and Crest is rather a big minus here seeing how his plot got resolved by instant "cheating" sword which saved the situation completely.
Let's say some readers want a bit different things than male MC being your standard teenage boy hero of the story like in millions of other works with this theme.
Now the real question remains if the people who died actually died, or will be now restored to life by the evil monster defeated or not.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2018, 10:01:53 am »
Oh well, every story arc can't please everyone!  I think Crest deserved his time to shine, though!

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2018, 08:42:21 pm »
I agree wholehearted... this Web comic has not solely been about just Maytag... or Bernadette... but all three of the main characters, May, Bern, AND Crest! It has consistantly and in my opinion given equal screen time to all three of the main characters. Bern got her power up so has Crest... I'm kinda waiting for Maytag to get hers but she has proven time and again... that she is a remarkable woman of substance who takes on ALL challenges head on and her cunning and insightfulness ARE her greatest power...and as yet have proven Matchless!  I cannot wait to see Maytag, Bernadette, Polly, Crest and Suspira all together again fighting against the threats of the world!!!

So you have my vote of confidence, Brion...keep up the great writing!!

Edit 1# GRRR.. I HATE the uber-aggressive auto-complete on my phone... this post was made from my phone and the grammatical and spelling errors are Damned annoying when I wanted a completely different word!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:59:08 pm by sunphoenix »

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2018, 06:00:35 am »
@Kiran: Stories with characters like Suspiria in them are difficult to tell without giving a Deus Ex Machina impression. I've stated it above:

@bulma:
Regarding OP characters, I am currently watching The Disastrous Life of Saiki K on Netflix. That guy is more OP than One Punch Man, but the series is hilarious. They deal with it mostly by giving him weaknesses and silly characters to interact with.