Author Topic: Chapter 51: Discussion  (Read 20317 times)

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 51: Discussion
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2018, 12:33:41 pm »
Moby, why do you say you're no good at flying magic? You have a flying carpet and you did carry yourself AND Crest in search for Suspiria.
Also: Why didn't you bring it with you? Eh, nevermind, the Phalanx in general didn't seem to think about bringing all kinds of magical gadgets with them.

She's a seamstress. She moves the thread, she doesn't levitate anything. Also, her carpet kinda got eaten.

Welp, that's it. Crest got 51 chapters, but Brion must be doing a Kill Em' All Tomino thing. Maybe.
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2018, 10:44:28 am »
So Ladies and Gentlemen, Crest was saved by literal ASSPULL  :o
 :P

So now I wonder if every other one will get similiar treatment or stay dead, but as I understand the setting and how magic fueled by some nanomachines in reality works, you can't revive a person whose brain died for too long or was minced, so that should be rather impossible.
But then we have Bloody Mary so who knows...

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2018, 11:38:37 pm »
Alright, things are really starting to look up now.
Next page: Regina or Moby gets stabbed and Melter's friend has to start all over again.

@Bulma: Oh, I didn't know magic was that specific, but I guess it makes enough sense. Was her carpet eaten in this chapter? Because if not then I'd wonder why she didn't have a bunch in reserve.

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2018, 12:29:27 am »
Okay, now that we know there's no way out the situation looks positively dire. Soooooo... another space-time-rewind, Melter? How about taking Suspiria with you through space-time and letting the "Phalanx" do another "investigation" that'll let them return empty-handed?

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2018, 07:01:03 am »

That sounds gross!

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2018, 05:46:13 am »

That sounds gross!

I don't know... I'm sure Moby would let Crest 'pull her ass' into just the right position... and enjoy every moment of it!  :-*
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2018, 04:44:24 am »
Looks like that thing is enjoying itself seeing its food struggle. I don't have any other explanation as to why there aren't any more spikes coming out of the walls or skeletons coming from the pit. There should even be two new ones available by now. 8)

Also if the sword's healing power doesn't work, then maaaaybe paralysis will do something? I mean, if the whole pit is powered by that thing, maybe the rotating blades will stop and everyone can drop down safely and explore it?

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2018, 05:39:17 am »
I could be mistaken, but I don't think I've ever seen Crest looking so determined!  He looks like an honest-to-goodness badass!

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2018, 09:23:01 am »
Yep, ever since that sphere broke and that dude played the song he reverted back to being confident. But I'm still not sure if he reverts to becoming Kin again, because he looks more emotional than in the previous chapters.

Btw: I just remembered that resurrection is a thing in this world (from the prison arc where Bern's not-girlfriend got fatally poisoned), so if the crew goes to the bottom of the pit, maybe they can take home the remains they may or may not find. But meh, they're just Phalanx, so who actually cares? ::)

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2018, 01:34:58 pm »
I think that thing is bluffing. I think it knows it can be hurt, and is trying to scare Crest into not even trying to fight back....  ;D

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2018, 08:10:01 am »
If that thing were scared it would've killed Crest as quickly as it did away with Buzz when he dared to play that song that made all the skeletons disappear.

Oh well, I guess we'll soon find out how immortal that thing really is. Let's see if that sword can do this to him: http://www.sandraandwoo.com/2016/08/01/0808-the-divine-comedy-page-6/

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2018, 12:38:44 pm »
If that thing were scared it would've killed Crest as quickly as it did away with Buzz when he dared to play that song that made all the skeletons disappear.
Or, maybe you should add, just attack immediately without saying a word? Nah, the thing knows that the sword can hurt him, possibly if Crest can strike him in a certain place. He's just hoping Crest won't realize it, or do so accidently....

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2018, 03:45:28 am »
Do I need to add that? I thought I covered that with my quoted statement. Unless you wanted me to write "killed Crest as quickly or faster than it did away with Buzz".

Whether or not that thing knows, I guess we'll find out. Either way it's not scared of the sword. But if immobility is really going to happen to it, then I don't believe it knows about that ability, because otherwise it would be stupid to let Crest get so close.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2018, 05:27:53 am »
You guys are missing something key here. Brion's work seems big on symbolic imagery. It's not really religious (I think Brion was on record once saying he doesn't believe in gods, meaning anything from a Buddhist or Taoist mindset, to nontraditional belief, to agnostic, to atheist) so much as a sort of powerful imagery.

There are things in our lives that are immortal. What is the first thing coming to mind? Depression. No matter how many times, it always comes back. People with other difficult to solve disorders like mania or hallucinations probably feel the same. 

This is not to say that Crest can solve their problems by therapy. It's saying the same approach works. How do you deal with something immortal? Well for the long term you figure out its source of power. Only something that truly is a deity is self-powered, everything else that is immortal has some Achilles Heel (like they have to feed regularly, or they need people there to remember them, or they're allergic to milk (who knows what movie I'm talking about)). Maybe a final boss type deal, getting rid of the evil thing in our life that won't go away. But for the short term, the solution to such a creature is one of three things: get past it, trap it (sealing is a big option in games like Final Fantasy V), and strip it of its power (the last of these sometimes overlaps with a permanent solution, unless it is able to regain power).

Update: Everyone watch the anime Lost Song. It gives very good insight on what it's like to be immortal.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:55:51 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2018, 04:35:13 am »
Hmmm... what you Might Seem to suggest Bulma, is that the pit is something like a metaphorical nightmare made reality... an immortal fear?

Could that be Suspiria's manifested fear?  That would suggest the best way to defeat it would be for Crest to declare his love for Suspiria and tell her she does not have to be afraid... she is not alone, and she is NOT a monster ~ Wake up!

And oh dear... I'm not sure I can watch... I HATE Slasher flicks... I really do not like to see young women savaged or hurt... let alone butchered... it REALLY Angers that 'old-fashioned' chivalrous hero complex I have inside.

Oh and yeah UmberIsSexy... I agree Crest looks total badass...{ Smile}... I definitely approve of how he's developed!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:23:46 pm by sunphoenix »
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2018, 01:54:54 pm »
See, I told you guys Crest would develop!  But has he developed ENOUGH?  Stay tuned to find out!

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2018, 04:56:36 am »
What? The main character develops? Inconceivable! :o

But I suspect that his current bravery is because of either Suspiria regaining her world-shaping influence now that the sphere is broken or that music-based spell is still in effect. Or both. Crest is probably going to take something away from this, but I don't think he is going to keep up being that smart, brave and clear-headed under pressure.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2018, 02:54:42 pm »
...Oh!  :o

It's a sword made by her will.

Also, this sword doesn't look quite the same when he first got it, and now. I'm assuming that's NOT a mistake.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:58:31 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2018, 02:14:27 am »
Yes! So what does the sword represent ...to her mind?  Protection, justice, Heroism?  She gave it to the man she was falling in love with to protect him as a sign of her affection.  Later on she tells him its enchanted to heal those pierced by its blade.  She gave Crest the option of letting her die.. instead of using it on her to save her life after the battle with Qtalda... she was afraid she was becoming a monster... Crest's action to save her gave her verification... that at least one person in the world believed IN HER.. and felt she was worth saving!

So again... what does the sword represent to her mentally?  Redemption, Hope... Love?

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2018, 04:46:09 am »
That is a fascinating reveal. I didn't question the legendariness of this sword, simply because Bernadette has two super swords as well and because it has been established that magic can be anything you like.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2018, 08:07:23 pm »
"If you believe
Within your heart you'll know
That no one can change
The path that you must go"

"Believe what you feel
And know you're right because
The time will come around
When you say it's yours!"

"Believe there's a reason to be!"
"Believe you can make time stand still!"
"You know from the moment you try!"
"If you believe, I know you will!"

"Believe that you can go home!
"Believe you can float on air!"
"Click your heels three times,
""If YOU Believe, Then you'll be there!"

"Believe in yourself right from the start
You'll have brains, you'll have a heart
You'll have courage
To last your whole life through!"

"You've got to Believe,
Believe in the Magic,
Right there in your heart
Go ahead, Believe all these things~
Not because I told you to!"

"NO.. Go ahead Believe,
Believe in Yourself!"

"If you believe in yourself!"
"If You believe in Yourself!!"
"If YOU believe in YOURSELF!!!"
"As I believe in YOU!!!"

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 08:33:21 pm by sunphoenix »

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2018, 08:32:02 pm »
As I figured. The creature was bluffing... 🤨

dekutree64

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2018, 02:37:28 am »
Let me see your war face, Crest! AHH!

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2018, 04:01:23 am »
There's a chance Crest's loud screaming will wake her up in addition to the sword working. Or instead of the sword working. I dunno.

i'm kinda reminded of something in Gunerkrigg Court. I mentioned it during the Japan Break? Well there's a scene where the talk about how a man sees a stone, and imagines a woman. Usually this would mean a sculpture, but there is girl whose body is like rock in terms of hardness.

The interesting thing is the story suggests humans imagined her into being in such a way as to predate them, ditto the stars in the sky. But that's a side idea. We do it every day, we take an ordinary girl by all accounts, and she becomes our Dearest. Or a bunch of lumber becomes our dream home.
—Edward D. Morrison

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2018, 12:12:59 pm »
Yeah, Crest, this isn't Fairy Tail. ::)

Also I shall not read the previous post, since I'm still quite far from being up-to-date with Gunnerkrig. I'm at page 448 by now.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2018, 06:02:37 pm »
If this were Fairy Tail, someone would step in front of the attack with both hands wide apart, then die. Or seemingly die, then recover later.

You're about 600 pages away from understanding the context anyway then, since the character I mean is still a background character. Why, you haven't even gotten to the cows yet!

Watching Man of La Mancha (Turner Classic Movies on DVR). Talk about a coincidence.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:58:55 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2018, 12:37:16 am »
I'm going to stop reading your posts now. ::) Until I'm up-to-date with Gunnerkrigg.
I'm allergic to spoilers, regardless of whether or not I know the context.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2018, 02:36:53 am »
"Here me now oh be-grieved and unbearable world,
Thou art base and debouched as can be!"

"Now a HOLY Endeavor is now to begin,
And VIRTUE shall triumph at last!"
{Now a Knight with his Banners, All Bravely unfurled,
Now Hurls down his Gauntlet to THEE!}

"I AM I! Don Quixote the Lord of the La Mancha,
MY Destiny Calls and I Go!"

"And the Wild Winds of Fortune,
Shall carry me Onward for whether-soever they Blow!"

"WHETHER-SOEVER They Blow!"
"ONWARD to GLORY I GO!!!"

My Favorite musical by far!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:38:24 am by sunphoenix »

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2018, 01:34:02 am »
And it hits Crest. No, not the monster. What he must do in addition... 😁

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2018, 03:10:28 pm »
 :o

I dunno what to think anymore. It's almost like someone shoved a large spike through my brain.
—Edward D. Morrison