Author Topic: Chapter 51: Discussion  (Read 20315 times)

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 51: Discussion
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2018, 08:41:42 pm »
They ALL gonna need some serious therapy...if they get out of this...  I feel worse for poor Moby!

It's an actual rule of fiction. There's no therapists.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThereAreNoTherapists
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 07:33:29 am »
So this pit turned into big blender/meat processor?
Ouch.
In the end Vennice got better fate than Buzz as endings go for sides.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2018, 05:01:34 am »
It's a garbage collector sink thingy.

If I had to say, I'd say it's mostly her depression. She wants to kill herself and pretty sure her friends are untrustworthy now.

Remember, the number is 1-800-273-8255.

In term of what seem like the natural defenses of the pit, probably turning from flat ground into a pit (usually enough to make most people fall to their doom), eating artifacts, and priestmonster that keeps coming back. The whole spikes popping out of the wall, the fell of rising tide, that the guy was able to pop up from nowhere and eat the stretcher bed, the skeletons, and the blender probably not.

For one, some of these things contradict certain things. For instance, if you have a blender, you probably don't have skeletons, since the blender grinds stuff up. And it seemed like the pit was more a darkness that swallowed stuff up, not a grindinv machine. It was more about negativity and not supposed to be about punishment. And then there's the clear contradiction of the wall spike being active while the music was melting some faces. That pretty much reveals a second force immune to the music.

The question is, does Crest wanna talk to her and try to cheer her up, or is Melter wrong about it being a bad idea to put her in the pit and things will be better off without her?
—Edward D. Morrison

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2018, 08:21:28 pm »
In my opinion, this is the most graphic Flipside arc, and that's saying a lot. No offense, because the tension is obviously very high here... 😋

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2018, 10:59:07 am »
...does it make me a total perv and sicko ..that I find Moby even sexier spattered with a bit of blood? :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:29:06 pm by sunphoenix »
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2018, 12:58:54 pm »
Why it's important to pay attention to details.

May's hand that got regrown, was done by "mirroring". But what about Glyph's legs (and whatever else got gobbled by the Pit)? If he does survive, he'll be a complete wreck. I'm not sure they'll be able to regrow what he's got, so they'd have to do a Six Million Dollar Man thing on this guy just to get him to walk right. 
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2018, 11:18:45 am »
Yep, Glyph...soon to be only a head, left arm and a few right hand finger-tips.  Not much to mirror with that!

The Question is... 'Is this all a horrid Dream sequence that Only Crest is experiencing?'
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:21:48 am by sunphoenix »
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 09:40:42 pm »
And now for another graphic blood-splosion of viscera, limbs and crimson all over the mostly naked and shapely Moby... oh.. and one shredded eyepatch....

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2018, 10:57:11 pm »
AAaaannnd ~ "Chunky Salsa!"

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2018, 03:20:47 pm »
Goodbye Glyph. I hardly knew you....  :(

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2018, 03:19:44 am »
I really like this scene a lot, because it hit me so differently compared to Suspiria's outburst. You see, Moby once again couldn't control her emotions as if she didn't go through any professional Phalanx training whatsoever, and pushed Suspiria over the edge instead of realizing that our precious glass cannon needed support and comfort or else! So I felt really really bad for poor Suspiria and I'm still hoping against hope that she can somehow return.
But Moby can go to hell! And everyone else who didn't try to stop her can go with her (i.e. everyone besides Crest and Regina). Nobody had any sense of danger whatsoever even though they've been inspecting one of the most dangerous places in the world. So of course they got Worfed really hard from the beginning to the end. At least Crest realized that he was in way over his head after the sphere unworfed him from a dumb Phalanx person back to a sensible human being.

Thus I'm currently just relaxing and enjoying the show instead of being caught up in the intense drama that's happening.  ;D
Let's find out who's next to be torn to pieces!

As a side note:
Does the Phalanx not have access to Anti Magic spheres and other convenient gadgets that just might come in handy for inspecting - oh I don't know - only one of the most dangerous and highly magical places on this side of the world?
A scouting/scrying spell maybe? Or Q'Talda's clone spell? But hey, who needs to learn from another's experience on how to survive if you're an elite soldier, right? :P
Also if I were in charge of such a prison then the very bricks of all floors, walls and ceilings would be made of "Strong Anti-Magic sphere"-material. Or as much as the budget allows. Maybe find a way to suck away their energy... wait. Is that what the pit was originally for?

edit: Ok I forgot the walls are indeed heavily anti-sorcery. http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=3273
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 11:43:21 am by SirBananaPie »

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2018, 08:22:53 am »
Quote from: bulmabriefs144
The question is, does Crest wanna talk to her and try to cheer her up,
Wait, that's still an option?

AAaaannnd ~ "Chunky Salsa!"
Dude, your posts are hilarious! ;D
I admit that there is a sexiness to bloody Moby. That's all she seems to be good for.  ::) Though personally I find Bloody Mary and Suspiria way hotter, because they're super strong but their personalities are so adorable. Moby's polar opposite, basically.  8)

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2018, 11:37:11 am »
Oooooh, page 33 just went up! ^^
Yes yes oh god yes kill her kill her!!! ;D ;D ;D

I don't understand why Melter is just floating there, letting Shade holding him despite her losing strength. Can't they just fly up and out? If so, then he has some serious balls for staying in there anyway. And why doesn't he cling to a wall to reduce the burden on Shade? Such a weird guy.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2018, 12:58:37 pm »
Quote from: bulmabriefs144
The question is, does Crest wanna talk to her and try to cheer her up,
Wait, that's still an option?

I know she went all "stony faced", but there's a good chance she can still see and hear. The sword itself may also have an impact. We do see Crest reaching for it a few scenes earlier. The tone of this is sorta like 3rd phase of Dark Cell but for us and for most of a chapter though. Here's hope someone does something.
—Edward D. Morrison

Daikun

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2018, 03:11:17 am »
Is there a way we can get these two latest pages (32-33) as one? It really has that double-page spread feel.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:10:43 pm by Daikun »

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2018, 09:51:28 am »
Crest! About time!

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2018, 01:24:41 pm »
YEAH CREST!!! I've Been routing for you the whole time!  Show that hero stuff.. I KNOW your made of!!! :)

~ This made my day! Thx Brion!!!  :-*

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2018, 01:28:01 am »
That sad-faced skeleton is so hilarious! ;D

@Bulma:
Oh right the healing sword. If it can counter Death&Decay, a stoner surely is no problem.
Interesting that the skeleton doesn't get healed by it. Now to find out if he's going to heal Moby with it. Hopefully he stabs her in the eye just for the lulz.

I don't understand the tone thing. You mean as in inevitable peril? Because for me the tone in phase 3 had a cold finality to it, while the current scene is full of hot action. Also gore.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2018, 02:30:02 pm »
That sad-faced skeleton is so hilarious! ;D

@Bulma:
Oh right the healing sword. If it can counter Death&Decay, a stoner surely is no problem.
Interesting that the skeleton doesn't get healed by it. Now to find out if he's going to heal Moby with it. Hopefully he stabs her in the eye just for the lulz.

I don't understand the tone thing. You mean as in inevitable peril? Because for me the tone in phase 3 had a cold finality to it, while the current scene is full of hot action. Also gore.

I actually totally called it. It seemed like that sword is like Sesshomaru's Tenseiga. Heal the living, hurt the undead/demons.

The pervasive despair, I mean. The feeling that we, the viewers are watching something hopeless. Of course, if Phase 3 is any guide, not really the case.

The action is more active, yeah, but the whole deal where super-cool stuff happens, but nope, fails. Buzz and Glyph being all heroic are two good examples. Then it was Melter actually losing grip. Crest is the first guy so far that succeeded in doing something awesome with nothing poking out and impaling him... (here's hoping that thought isn't interrupted)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:34:01 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2018, 09:53:28 pm »
I know its a drama thing but I'd really dislike it if Crest's first forey as a hero he gets 'Worfed'... as a storyteller having a main character tell a terrified supporting character "Its alright, everythings gong to be ok"...just so you can kill her violently and in the next scene to subvert our expectations is such a LAME and really annoying FAR TOO overused writing trope. 

In fact the whole idea of subverting the expectations of the readers...or in the case of viewers of BADLY WRITTEN STAR WARS Movies ~ is so over used it just pisses the audience the hell off!  Especially, when it undermines character development or sensible story... if all you wanted to do was kill off the female supporting cast character ~ THEN JUST FUCKING DO IT...don't make it the fault of a main character or use it as a tool to slap said main character in the face...especially when said main character has not done anything particularly foolish or unwise when trying to be proactive and heroic... it cheapens the character, unless that is your objective from the get go.  Don't screw with your audience!

Poor Asuka Langley, in the Neon Genesis Evangellion Anime' Series gets this treatment all the time... she is presented as a daring gungho capable fighter...able to handily kick Shinji's butt in anything physical outside her Eva...but the moment she is put into battle and seems to know how to use her Eva and wants to do so.. she gets constantly 'Worffed' and beat the hell up only for Shinji who does not want to be in the Eva and does not know what he's doing to save the day.  Its frustrating not only to the character Asuka... but doubly so to the audience who is being told one thing and shown another.  In the case of NGE there is a story plot to this... but it is often used too damned much on the audience.

DON'T build up our hopes for Crest, the Courageous, Compassionate and Honest to become a great contemporary of the Powerful but Gentle Burnadette, and the Wise, Cunning and Selfless Maytag only to continually slap him down... its annoying!~  DON'T WORF CREST!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 09:55:36 pm by sunphoenix »

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2018, 07:54:17 am »
@Bulma:
I've never seen Inuyasha, so I had to look this one up real quick, but yeah, I guess it's basically like that one.

I kinda wish we could've seen Buzz and Glyph do more. Up until this point I only remember that Glyph was able to see women naked and that he helped outsmarting that lightning rod fighter by using that Anti magic glove he didn't own. This goes for Buzz even more so, who pretty much became Kin's replacement in that regard, i.e. died on his first on-screen mission. ;-)

Btw, I just had a thought: If they're dead now, what happens to Maytag when she starts her own sound show? I totally call that a LOT of people will give her crap for seemingly just waltzing in after the others died.

As for Crest: If the pit is Suspiria's doing (and Melter assumed it's about halfway the case) then replacement-Kin is going to save the day.

@sunphoenix:
Weeeeell, Brion is preparing for a double-page, so we just might see Moby dying a horrible death. But I'll stick to my call that she gets to live a traumatized life.

So far I've seen Crest as someone who mostly shines with his smarts. He started out as an average guy who made the bad decision to cheat at poker to heal his blind mom and he keeps encountering people who are so much stronger than him, so instead of running away he asks Bernadette for training sessions and Suspiria offers to pay for some additional training while Bern is off visiting her father. And he keeps asking himself why he joined this Phalanx mission at all. It's only because they told him "talk to Suspiria, you're the only one she might listen to". He has been in way over his head most of the time, but was still brave enough to move forward. I think that's splendid character development, even if it's still unclear how much was Suspiria's influence.

But I think you're misusing the term "worfed" in case of Crest. Characters get worfed when the viewers are merely told about how awesome they are, but all they ever do is get beaten up by other people in order to establish how bad-ass those people are. You can't establish anyone as a bad-ass villain by having them beat up Crest. Crest has worfed a couple of standard thugs himself by putting his healing/paralyzing blade to practice a bunch of chapters back and that established him as a decent fighter, but nothing too special yet. If he fails here, then that's not worfing him for the sake of the pit, because we already know how powerful the pit is just because Melter admitted to it.
The worfed ones I keep complaining about is the Phalanx and even the Conclave (save Qtalda), because they rarely ever do anything besides getting killed.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2018, 08:14:45 pm »
Page 36: 😳

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2018, 11:50:26 pm »
That's gonna leave a mark.

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2018, 12:36:27 pm »
Crest: Everything is gonna be okay!
Dark Pit: nope.avi

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2018, 12:24:45 pm »
Page 38 is up! He fell and then the fall lines kinda look like they changed. Flattened out.

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=3709

Hmmm, it's possible the Dark Pit made an "unauthorized move" so to speak.  It looks like Suspiria may actually care for Crest for reals, at least enough to want him around. Thanks, Suspiria!  :-*

Of course, Moby and the others may still be ummm "voted off the island" so to speak. But it looks like Crest's not dead just yet.

—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2018, 08:12:44 pm »
AH LOVE! Yes, I do believe Suspiria has decided... "NOT THIS ONE... HE'S MINE!:-*

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2018, 06:49:17 pm »
Ah, it turned out to be Regina. She should have retaken the test.
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2018, 07:50:29 pm »
Or not bothered to come along at all in the first place!  I mean seriously...what was she going to contribute to stopping power level 7 Suspira?!?!?!?

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2018, 09:14:49 pm »
The Pit is actively trying to kill people. Suspiria is making it worse. But notice there's no meat-grinder here. And I'm not convinced she is actively doing this either. Kinda more like when you have a bad mood about getting hired to a company, and sure enough, you wind up doing something to jinx it. Now imagine someone whose negativity causes huge ripples in events.

http://faculty.virginia.edu/perlab/pdf/ZadraCloreEmotPercept.pdf
—Edward D. Morrison

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2018, 12:26:28 am »
Moby, why do you say you're no good at flying magic? You have a flying carpet and you did carry yourself AND Crest in search for Suspiria.
Also: Why didn't you bring it with you? Eh, nevermind, the Phalanx in general didn't seem to think about bringing all kinds of magical gadgets with them.