Author Topic: Chapter 51: Discussion  (Read 20309 times)

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
Chapter 51: Discussion
« on: July 02, 2018, 03:08:31 pm »
So, the Thin Man has a major role here? Should be interesting....
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 03:12:50 pm by SAGG »

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 51: Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 04:59:59 am »
I'm more sad that this is another Crest group chapter, 3rd in a row...
For some reason it got boring for me, seeing Vennice killed off for drama sake didn't help either.

Maybe Brion got bored with May and Bern and Crest became the MC for real?
:P
It's really strange that last time we saw May it was around 1 year of our real life time ago (august 2017), and Bern almost around 2 years ago (september 2016). And this chapter content means that next half year of Flipside updates will be again all about Crest storyline.
Where's the variety of the 3 people stories being separated as it was at the beginning to change perspective?

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 08:50:59 pm »
The devil--? Did someone just pass gas?! 😆

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:10:09 pm »
For some reason it got boring for me, seeing Vennice killed off for drama sake didn't help either.

Maybe Brion got bored with May and Bern and Crest became the MC for real?
:P
It's really strange that last time we saw May it was around 1 year of our real life time ago (august 2017), and Bern almost around 2 years ago (september 2016). And this chapter content means that next half year of Flipside updates will be again all about Crest storyline.
Where's the variety of the 3 people stories being separated as it was at the beginning to change perspective?

They're doing it by character development. Bern we had her get through the whole Arena deal, May had to get out of the Dark Cell, Crest has to face the Pit.

All said, I love this page. It kinda reminds me of one of the pages of Elfquest, and there is a very poster-quality feel to the last panel.
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 12:14:10 am »

I understand.  But I kinda had no choice but to do it that way.  We're pushing through the separate storylines and we're almost at the end of them... from then on, it's going to be one storyline with all the characters united.  So, please bear with it a little bit longer!

All said, I love this page. It kinda reminds me of one of the pages of Elfquest, and there is a very poster-quality feel to the last panel.

That's cool you think so... Elfquest was actually the very first comic to really get my interest, back when I was a kid!  And was a big part of what drew me towards manga.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:17:39 am by Brion Foulke »

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 08:17:05 am »
Oh YEAH!  I'm with Ms bulmabriefs on this.. love the story progression.. have not been bored with with Crest is doing to the least!  Like how his character has developed.. though I wish he'd been more decisive in his feelings about Suspiria... perhaps he will get a chance to redress that soon.

And ... oh Crap.. they are all in the crapper now..WTF?  What IS the pit... is it sentient or does a malevolent intelligence reside within or control it?  Whatever it is some form of reality manipulation or perception modification is clearly within its power.  If the whole keep/castle is under its control like this.. this could really be bad for everyone...not just those currently threatened by its rapaciousness.

And YES, ElfQuest is my most favorite storylines.. and recently the Final Quest ended and I'm saddened by not just the end of the story... but how it ended.  I will Howl for the lost all the rest of my days as well...
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 04:12:09 am »
I actually have The Complete ElfQuest Volume 1. I was going to get volume two, etc. But then I realized that it was a self-contained story (the story to find a new Holt, and the realization that their clan, not a location, was the Holt; the story of life, death, and a sort of extended life with those ancient elves; but more importantly, the story of characters, of Skywise, (the human shaman), Cutter, Leetah, and even Rayek, Bearclaw and Treestump, and the depraved Winnowill and Door) plus I was poor.

I like the whole grand story, heavy with metaphor. I think I know what the Pit is, but I'll let Brion tell you (hint: it has something to do with depression). But I also think it might be a subjective metaphor (represents different stuff to different ppl).

If theyare supposed to get together, the anti-magic crystal being gone kinda puts a damper on getting past Eye's aura.
—Edward D. Morrison

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 09:08:45 am »
And YES, ElfQuest is my most favorite storylines.. and recently the Final Quest ended and I'm saddened by not just the end of the story... but how it ended.  I will Howl for the lost all the rest of my days as well...

Didn't know about the "Final Quest."  I only read up to and including Kings of the Broken Wheel.  The original 20 issue comic (first 4 volumes of the graphic novels) are still my favorite.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 07:51:21 pm »
Didn't know about the "Final Quest."  I only read up to and including Kings of the Broken Wheel.  The original 20 issue comic (first 4 volumes of the graphic novels) are still my favorite.

OH MY Dear Brion.. there is Soooo much more to the story than just that... and it ALL Good.. look further... there are many more quests after that MANY MORE!
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 07:21:02 am »
This pit and that guy are very scary.  I'm nervous for everyone.

What did Mary puke up?

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 10:35:17 am »
This WRONG on oh sooo many levels!

Melter is being heroic... Mary is defending and protecting people!... Crest has the opportunity to truly be heroic.. and he goes catatonic..

Thing in the pit.. Ewwww.. 'runaway, Runaway, RUNAWAY!!!'

Caffinator

• Tender Young Virgin
  • It's just one of those days
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 11:15:25 am »
If they are supposed to get together, the anti-magic crystal being gone kinda puts a damper on getting past Eye's aura.

I believe it wouldn't have made a difference. I'd be willing to bet that Thin Man has had access to such devices and tried them on Dark Cell before. Eye's curse is probably one of the strongest magical forces any of these characters has encountered. Speaking of which, if Suspira's magic level is currently "off the charts", I wonder if she has enough power to at least suppress Eye's curse if not dispel it entirely. Certainly food for thought!

These last few panels really portray to the reader a feeling of chaos and confusion that matches how everyone but Melter appears to be reacting. And doing so without resorting to a bunch of indistinguishable motion-blur mess is probably the most impressive aspect. Really enjoying the story Brion!

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 11:46:01 am »
Her power isn't off the charts. It's just out of control. Melter implied there were even dissolving tests for such power, meaning there are in fact "charts" for it.

I honestly think there is alot of stuff that is different from what we've been told previously. Like for one, demons do exist (and this creep here is one of them), and two, probably curses aren't actually curses at all but some sort of human mutation to demonic energy.  Eye might in fact be able to control her power. There was another thing I thought about in regards to this. What happens when her powers meet Bern's swords? Do they suck it up? Or does it overcome her?
—Edward D. Morrison

Deuce

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 10:56:12 am »
That is some Junji Ito shit right there, holy hell.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 12:31:38 pm »
Get lost, jerk. You're just like all the others.

Don't forget the guy who wrote Berserk (Kentaro Miura). Some of that stuff, especially the Apostles kinda this much.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:35:41 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 02:25:32 am »
AWE HELLL NOOO!!!  :)

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 09:50:12 am »
"I just wanna have some fun"

Nope nope nope nope hurry up Melter that's enough fuck for the day

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 10:08:56 pm »
"Yeah, uh, sure we'll join you. Just let me get refreshed first..." (runs off) 😆

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 04:41:55 pm »
Hey Brion, we should do a vote.

Like, how many people want this chapter to go totally Grimdark, with everyone dying?

Not that I do, but I think it would get ppl involved and stuff. Too many people expecting Crest to survive cuz he's hero, we need some added tension, right?  :o
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 10:11:32 am »
I just don't want moby hurt, indecisive crest has earned a few lumps in my opinion.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2018, 04:44:54 pm »
OH MY Dear Brion.. there is Soooo much more to the story than just that... and it ALL Good.. look further... there are many more quests after that MANY MORE!

Yeah, I figured.  I should probably try to get back into it one of these days!

These last few panels really portray to the reader a feeling of chaos and confusion that matches how everyone but Melter appears to be reacting. And doing so without resorting to a bunch of indistinguishable motion-blur mess is probably the most impressive aspect. Really enjoying the story Brion!

Thanks!

Hey Brion, we should do a vote.  Like, how many people want this chapter to go totally Grimdark, with everyone dying?

Haha, yes you can all feel free to vote your opinions!  That said, the chapter might go grimdark whether you want it or not!  Or maybe it won't, who knows!

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 07:31:35 pm »
Elfquest.com has free scans, all except Final Quest. They're tiny though!

http://elfquest.com/read/digitalEQ.html

I'm liking that whole whistle scene, reminds me of the Abhorsen series. The whole bells thing.

Uh oh, don't give the author ideas, I guess!  :o

Update:

Looks like the only way anyone can survive is if Crest uses his sword. I wonder...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4utCMzu3hCg
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 05:54:21 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 07:37:22 am »
OoooooOOO!  Crest gonna do a Kin here?

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 07:58:33 am »
YES! Crest is going to engage ~ finally... let's hope he chooses wisely..

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 10:43:44 pm »
Probably not.  ;D

I'm not convinced there is a "right choice." Everyone is in danger from this guy. He needs to save the musician, the other jester Regina, Moby, Glyph, his gf, and himself. And honestly , the only way everyone can get out is if they set aside their jealousy (I know they're all jeally for Crest) and whatever else is up, even if they don't get along, and work together against the common problem. The Pit. Either that, or everyone fails.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:14:42 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 09:56:55 pm »
I'm wondering about the interaction between Suspiria and the pit...whether that is in play here at all.  I mean, we don't really know at all what the pit is right?

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 09:05:54 pm »
If bards in D&D had those kinds of anti-evil songs, everyone would take the class.

Yay, for morale boost! Also, don't die...

Ummm, remember how he's been using Bloody Mary clones?

He seems able to bounce back from injury like crazy and likes to munch on people. Also has sharp claws. This sounds familiar...

The pit itself seems to shatter at least lesser magical items, and add powers (Mega-manning) to Mister Creepy Priest.

They need to save everyone at all costs because anti-bards really suck. But especially save Suspiria because reality warping powers would be a bad thing. Which reminds me...
http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=3281
 http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=3295
http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=3517

From what we know, Bloody Mary has died numerous times to the pit, and it's safe to say Suspiria has died at least once.

Getting a Bravely Default vibe here.

But don't get depressed or anything. This is super-happy time cuz good morale.

—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 01:09:44 am »
I'm not thinking any anti-bard is in Buzz's future... sponge and squeegee... maybe...  He just got the equivalent of the magical buzzsaw-woodchipper!  They're gonna need a doggy-bag for what's left of him if the pit leaves even that much behind.  Not sure if the pit possess.. or just devours and spits out only facsimiles of those it consumes?  Perhaps {likely} it feed on his innate magical power and in doing so exsanguinated his magic form every cell of his body.  But if what we know is true about magic.. does that mean the pit consumes the Qualia nanites?

What really IS the 'Pit'...where does it go?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 01:16:21 am by sunphoenix »

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2018, 06:02:57 am »
Oh no, I meant all power goes to the creepy priest dude. Like he gets to demoralize them or something.

Aside from that, two things really worry me, that the pit might be rising, or that what sprayed on them... isn't blood. 
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 12:15:36 pm »
They ALL gonna need some serious therapy...if they get out of this...  I feel worse for poor Moby!