Author Topic: Chapter 48: Discussion  (Read 33399 times)

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chapter 48: Discussion
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2017, 10:28:55 pm »
I wonder what Eye's effect looks like from the outside.. a roaming black cloud of utter terror or a perfect black sphere of will annihilation?
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2017, 09:33:45 am »
http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=3179

It looks like this.

Also, the next page is awesome.

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=3181

You know that talk with Lehm? The ENTIRE TIME, Marce is sitting in this zone. ;D COuldn't happen to a nicer person.
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2017, 02:35:43 am »
Well, DOY, Maytag! Did you really have to ask that?

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2017, 05:39:49 pm »

Maytag never asks something without a reason. She must be offering to inherit it instead. Although I don't see how this will help, Eye knows literally nothing about how to deal with normal people.
—Edward D. Morrison

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2017, 08:27:13 pm »

Maytag never asks something without a reason. She must be offering to inherit it instead. Although I don't see how this will help, Eye knows literally nothing about how to deal with normal people.
Inherit the curse? Now that is interesting! Of course this would complicate things with Bern, but hey, Maytag cut her own eyes out, so anything is possible....

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2017, 06:24:08 am »
Not necessarily so.  Maytag may not be offering to inherit the curse.. but what she IS doing is giving voice to questions about Eye's future that Eye.. up an until now has never thought of or questioned.  Maytag is not asking the questions for herself.. but to get Eye to ponder them!
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2017, 06:45:27 pm »
Not necessarily so.  Maytag may not be offering to inherit the curse.. but what she IS doing is giving voice to questions about Eye's future that Eye.. up an until now has never thought of or questioned.  Maytag is not asking the questions for herself.. but to get Eye to ponder them!

Again, May never does things without a reason. We shall see what she intends to do with the curse, if she does plan to inherit it. Which begs the other question, why can't Miss Kitty take the curse herself? She can obviously provide for herself, and doesn't seem to care about being alone, given that she has probably watched after a few of these. Or just pass it on to the first unfortunate soul? What is so precious about it that an innocent child has to be tortured by loneliness all her life?
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2017, 09:55:54 pm »
Yeah, excuse the hell out of me.... Maytag continues to shock and amaze me EVERY TIME... what a remarkable woman!

So yeah, very intriguing questions but you missed one... how did young eye gain the 'gift/curse' in the first place? Who passed on to her and why HER specifically?  Also why must Anyone bear it at all?

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2017, 03:18:43 am »
Yeah, excuse the hell out of me.... Maytag continues to shock and amaze me EVERY TIME... what a remarkable woman!

So yeah, very intriguing questions but you missed one... how did young eye gain the 'gift/curse' in the first place? Who passed on to her and why HER specifically?  Also why must Anyone bear it at all?

Ohhhhh. "A person like You?" Uh oh.

Something tells me that this isn't really a curse. I won't give away my thoughts, except to hint.

It's an anchor. And Eye's perky personality is a large portion of why she was chosen. May isn't ideal because of her past.
—Edward D. Morrison

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2017, 04:07:13 pm »
Seeing Eye's look makes me think having Maytag around is the best thing ever^^

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2017, 05:36:12 am »
Indeed Maytag's approach may be indeed directed to make Eye ponder things she has not ever pondered and putting thoughts of how SHE wants to direct her life rather than be told what to do by the cat all the time. With out EVER mentioning open rebellion against the cat.. Maytag is skillfully planting the seeds of such thoughts just with her presence and indirect conversation with the cat!

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2017, 01:10:28 am »
Why do I get the feeling that this is a trap?

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2017, 05:11:45 am »
It might be an ambush, but in terms of them getting to where they're going, we actually know this place.

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1599

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1601

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1603

Definitely part of the path to where they need to get.
—Edward D. Morrison

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2017, 08:22:31 pm »
It might be an ambush, but in terms of them getting to where they're going, we actually know this place.

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1599

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1601

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1603

Definitely part of the path to where they need to get.
Oh, okay. That's right. You have a very good memory. I think I'll just leave all the speculation to you from now on...  :)

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2017, 07:57:34 pm »
Well, not all of it.

My memory is actually very poor, it just works in a weird way.

You know how some people like Moss have weird abilities? Well, I kinda have one too. :o

Essentially, my visual memory is fairly good (I actually memorized the table for an economics page and reproduced it perfectly, along with a map of the regions of China for another test). Things that I see, I can usually recall, and I have the ability to connect things in strange ways forming visual symbolic patterns. My memory of other information types however is terrible, such that despite practicing for days, I cannot recite lines for drama.
 And I have memory of dreams that appear kinda to happen in the future, then I forget them, and then a week before it happens, I get a sense of deja vu. I can sorta compare to such dreams to be like "this is/this is not how it happened before" based on my personal actions and their effect on upcoming events. My long term memory however as a result is bad, very bad, because I have no real grasp of whether anything in my life has happened before. I also cannot remember most of my childhood before age ten. Kinda like my brain somehow got front-loaded, so I have memory that most people shouldn't have, and as a result it ate another part of my brain.  :P 

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:03:14 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2017, 05:53:26 am »
Well, not all of it.

My memory is actually very poor, it just works in a weird way.

You know how some people like Moss have weird abilities? Well, I kinda have one too. :o

Essentially, my visual memory is fairly good (I actually memorized the table for an economics page and reproduced it perfectly, along with a map of the regions of China for another test). Things that I see, I can usually recall, and I have the ability to connect things in strange ways forming visual symbolic patterns. My memory of other information types however is terrible, such that despite practicing for days, I cannot recite lines for drama.
 And I have memory of dreams that appear kinda to happen in the future, then I forget them, and then a week before it happens, I get a sense of deja vu. I can sorta compare to such dreams to be like "this is/this is not how it happened before" based on my personal actions and their effect on upcoming events. My long term memory however as a result is bad, very bad, because I have no real grasp of whether anything in my life has happened before. I also cannot remember most of my childhood before age ten. Kinda like my brain somehow got front-loaded, so I have memory that most people shouldn't have, and as a result it ate another part of my brain.  :P

Oh my! That is a wonderfully unique gift! :)  I only have a decent singing voice... people complement me on it all the time, wanna swap? :)

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2017, 05:35:38 pm »
I dunno about that. Alot of people have oddities to them. Supposedly, Buddhist monks can dry clothing through body heat. This world is a weirder place than most of us think.

Anyway, why do I think Eye and Miss Kitty are likely to get categorized as "magic" and stopped at the gate?
—Edward D. Morrison

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2017, 06:13:55 pm »
I dunno about that. Alot of people have oddities to them. Supposedly, Buddhist monks can dry clothing through body heat. This world is a weirder place than most of us think.

Anyway, why do I think Eye and Miss Kitty are likely to get categorized as "magic" and stopped at the gate?
Or...if Eye's Dark Storm is considered "magic," maybe there's a loophole to remove it? Having a hunch here.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2017, 01:30:19 am »
Let me guess about your hunch: This "wall" could somehow "filter out" Eye's power once she passes through it to the other side?

Ardanis

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2017, 09:47:41 pm »
Cyber cat said the wall prevents magic(al)? transfers, not transfers of magic.

Puyon

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2017, 11:28:59 am »
Not to be that guy, but we've seen CS3 be referred to as she, he, and it, and I guess I shouldn't be nitpicky about the gender of a faceless cat but I'm just confused for how I should refer to it. I guess it doesn't matter??

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2017, 05:05:52 am »
By the characters or by us?

Technically I think in one comic, it mentioned it was female. But people keep forgetting. Including Eye, who calls the cat him. And when first introduced on page 56 she. May asks if the cat is a girl cat, and CS3 says "It's not important."
—Edward D. Morrison

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2017, 04:38:19 pm »
I hope that Eye manages to have fun in Iscariot, and not run into any trouble.  She's lead a very sheltered life so far, and it would be crushing for her to have a taste of freedom only to immediately suffer misfortune  :( .

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2017, 11:07:36 am »
By the characters or by us?

Technically I think in one comic, it mentioned it was female. But people keep forgetting. Including Eye, who calls the cat him. And when first introduced on page 56 she. May asks if the cat is a girl cat, and CS3 says "It's not important."

Damn, that might be me that forgot, and not Eye.  I should probably go back and fix that!

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2017, 04:39:26 am »
Honestly, if CS3 says it's not important, it's not important. I'm genderfluid and although I prefer female pronouns, biologically I'm male. Legally, my license says female, and someone here calls me Miss Briefs.

Without looking under the cat, we won't know, and it is hard to tell from the voice. If Eye called the cat him and her interchangeably, that would be okay with me. It adds to his/her weirdness. I'm not sure the cat should be an it, though (as Maytag said). Plus there are two panels addressing the cat's femaleness, and two panels (May and Eye in the recent comic) where the cat is called he. Either way it takes a chunk out of the story to typecast a cat that doesn't need a box.

Also, way to pull at our heartstrings Brion! We kinda know the answer, unless either Eye wanders forever on the outskirts, or lives in an a house nearby the town, or just says fuck it and goes into the town to terrorize oit.
—Edward D. Morrison

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2017, 03:23:37 pm »
Honestly I doubt that cat should have a gender at all, like a sort of guardian spirit-type thing or even a sort of machine/robot created just for this purpose (even his/her name gives a slight hint). Really looking forward to finding out what Lehm means with "setting the truth free".

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2017, 05:26:53 am »
Honestly I doubt that cat should have a gender at all, like a sort of guardian spirit-type thing or even a sort of machine/robot created just for this purpose (even his/her name gives a slight hint). Really looking forward to finding out what Lehm means with "setting the truth free".

Robots are the only things with an it gender (it is an object), fairies or spirits tend to be his/her interchangeable gender, some people in the LGBT have adopted the they singular gender label but in a story this would work best for a character like Yugi Moto of Yu-gi-oh or Sora from KH where multiple souls are in the same body (and those cases usually they just call that person him or her based on physical gender).

Seems like the truth is scared to be set loose right now.
—Edward D. Morrison