Author Topic: Chapter 48: Discussion  (Read 33401 times)

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 48: Discussion
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2017, 02:27:21 pm »
Cool and freaky concept. I would guess that it would push people away, like it did whenever they "failed" the tests. Not sure though, since the thing is moving.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2017, 01:49:02 am »
Heh...called it...

weirdguy

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 05:06:39 pm »
Well, this is awkward.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 01:03:19 pm »
EYE Cat - {She knows too much...! Must kill blonde jester suited girl soon!}
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

weirdguy

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2017, 12:08:23 pm »
for a guy with nothing in his head, he sure has a terrible poker face

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2017, 05:00:10 pm »
for a guy with nothing in his head, he sure has a terrible poker face

[terriblepunwarning]Yeah, it's like she can see right through him.[/terriblepunwarning]

(You can start groaning now)
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 05:10:43 am »
What's a caret aker?  (Should have put this under the Mistake Thread)  ;D

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2017, 06:01:07 pm »
"You go on ahead Eye. I'll stay behind and have a little 'talk' with Miss Kitty."  ;D

I think she figured out what's up.
—Edward D. Morrison

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 04:41:38 pm »
Well this looks like a spot of trouble.

phillip1882

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 04:55:13 pm »
why are they running from her? Maytag trusted her for a while, its not clearly explained why she doesn't any more
there are two ways to be a patriot. the first is to join the military. the second is to convince the government that use of military force is unnecessary. the second is much more difficult but also more rewarding.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2017, 05:36:37 am »
why are they running from her? Maytag trusted her for a while, its not clearly explained why she doesn't any more

Yeah, I'm wondering myself... and Maytag is helping these two for what reason?  Sure I understand, helping Eye get some freedom from the 'Eyeless-Cat'... but why is she trying to avoid Lehm's folks?  She's got a large reward awaiting her... and the only one she needs worry about is "crazy eyes" girl.  Though... with Eye with her.. escape from Lehm and his folks is practically Guaranteed... but I think the Sorceress woke up and just cast a spell!
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2017, 03:32:22 am »

It's vaguely pointed out by Miss Kitty (CS3) that when she wakes up she will not be able to defend them. That is, when people are totally swallowed by despair, they have a tendency to become violent.

I think I saw a graph at one point that may have had something to do with Maslow's needs, but it talked instead about fear and despair caused if these needs are systematically stripped away. When a person hasn't love/belonging, they begin to feel distant and afraid. When they haven't safety, they start to be paranoid and become prone to pain, when even they basic physiological needs are stripped, they go into despair, and out from it they sometimes become violent.
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2017, 06:39:19 am »
Okaaay... WTF? Shades of Qtalda?  Who was that that just cast a spell reveling their presence if not identity... ok obviously a bad question we DON'T know who that was.  Who do you think that spellcaster was?  Qtalda or 'Crazy-Eyes'?  Clearly they were invisible and have been following Maytag's progress... though I'm unsure if they were just waiting outside to watch or if they actually have been following Maytag the whole time?

Or worse perhaps they were inside there with CS3 and Eye the whole time?!?

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2017, 01:31:53 pm »
Patreon news!  My first goal is gonna be to do a short adult Flipside comic at $120.  It will be available for all $3 or higher Patreons!

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=4949215

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2017, 05:39:30 am »
Okaaay... WTF? Shades of Qtalda?  Who was that that just cast a spell reveling their presence if not identity... ok obviously a bad question we DON'T know who that was.  Who do you think that spellcaster was?  Qtalda or 'Crazy-Eyes'?  Clearly they were invisible and have been following Maytag's progress... though I'm unsure if they were just waiting outside to watch or if they actually have been following Maytag the whole time?

Uhhh? We saw her use Abstraction before, just not from that angle. It's a spell that grabs things. Nothing more.

She was trying to pull them closer to her. Which could have resulted in a split. May needs to find some way of calming people down, or she won't be able to talk to Thin Man or Bern or anyone again.

I'd gladly pay $120 for something. But not $3 monthly. Recurring payments have a way of creeping up on you.
—Edward D. Morrison

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2017, 04:17:38 am »
Why do I sense a "but" from Maytag....?

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2017, 02:37:54 pm »
I am just wondering about the cat's judgement. It wouldn't be too difficult to convince a kid who's never seen the outside world that it's an evil, dangerous place, would it?
Also assuming the cat is the same as that being that appeared in phase 3, it is clear that it has an active role in keeping up the "storm". I doubt it was for its own amusement.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2017, 01:29:47 am »

Uhhh? We saw her use Abstraction before, just not from that angle. It's a spell that grabs things. Nothing more.

She was trying to pull them closer to her. Which could have resulted in a split. May needs to find some way of calming people down, or she won't be able to talk to Thin Man or Bern or anyone again.

I'd gladly pay $120 for something. But not $3 monthly. Recurring payments have a way of creeping up on you.

Oh... ok.. I understand now! Thanks... had me confused.

As for Patreon... I'm already donating $4/month...

$2 to https://www.patreon.com/AriochIV/posts [ Outsider ] ... love this comic.. just wish Arioch would be a bit more regular in his comic pages... but I've been a fan for literally decades so I'm committed.  But since its per page, I'm not spending much.

$1 to https://www.patreon.com/starpower/posts [ Star Power ] ...cause all the "mainstream" superhero comics SUCK ~ Both Marvel and DC... movies are now far better, and Star Power 'feels' like the golden age of marvel with Chris Clermont at the helm.. a Very nice Silver Age feel to a futuristic heroine!  Absolutely love it!  $1 a month is not so bad and Michael Terracciano and Garth Graham are fairly regular in new pages! Awesome read!

$1 to https://www.patreon.com/LeeandLie/posts [ Amalee of Leeandlie ] ... I just LOVE this young woman's voice and her english translations of some of my favorite anime' songs!  I can now sing a long with the Anime' series theme song s I love!  I do indeed cherish the gift of song this young lady had granted me with her efforts... well worth $1/song!

...so I'm AM seriously considering becoming a patron of Flipside.. I've been here for years too.. so why not? I'm obviously not going to suddenly loose interest! :)

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2017, 01:45:47 pm »
Wow. Hurricane Eye's really moving, now. I wonder how the Thin Man will respond when it comes his way...?  ???

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2017, 09:23:33 pm »
I have a theory. I do not believe that the Storm makes people violent. Just potentially violent.

It's like this. Remember the fight or flight instinct? It takes over when one is under absolute stress (research has shown there is actually a third instinct, to do nothing, to freeze or go into shock). In other words, the person basically becomes who they are when their public persona is under strain, when they are pushed to the limit, and their true personality shows through.

A person who is likely to run during extreme stress will run. Someone who is likely to turn violent under stress will also do so. So we would get to see the real Lehm, and have psycho maid flip out.
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2017, 06:36:21 am »
"...ulp, got dark?"

"Eh...yeah... gotta go!"

As a young boy, I was terrified of the dark... almost to paralysis... but I got through it by putting on a brave face for my little sister who was worse!

But I was STILL Scared.. I was a really smart kid and intellectually I knew there was nothing int he darkness that could harm me.. but I was still afraid.  Some nights in my bunch bed I'd wake int he dark and not beable to get back to sleep for over an hour or more just paralyzed with fear... it was irrational, but it was how I felt.  Perhaps too many sci-fi movies with scary monsters.  I remember one in particular from Space 1999 that particularly HORRIFIED me!

Anyway one night I woke and again I was too terrified to go back to sleep... and I got mad.  I was sleepy wanted to sleep, couldn't sleep and my mind told me I was being stupid ~ There was NOTHING in the dark... but I was still scared.  So, I did something about it... I got out of bed careful not to wake my little sister {we're two years apart in age} sleeping on the bottom bunk {she hated the heights of the top bunk}.. I did not turn on the lights.. but felt my way along the walls in pitched darkness and found my way to the living room... and the large mostly open floor in the center and I sat down and said, "I refuse to be scared ANYMORE..so if there IS anything in the dark come and get me or go away!"

... I sat there for almost an hour.  Of course nothing happened... but I was ready to fight tooth and nail if something did {silly child bravery}, even though I intellectually knew there was nothing going to actually happen.  But it worked, after that I was never paralyzed with fear of the dark.  I must have been maybe age 8 or so.

Even now as an adult of Age 46 I sometimes feel the tug of trepidation staring into the darkness.. but I brush it asside as a silly memory of child fears.

So.. was this a Fight or Flight reaction? 

I did not turn violent... though I do consider myself a fighter in my adult life, and I'm always ready with wooden Boken in my car back seat or pocket knife on my key chain to be prepared for any situation needing tools or martial skill to resolve.  Never been arrested for ANYTHING, only initiated two fights in my youth, and None in my Adult life.

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2017, 12:28:37 pm »
Cute story. I too was terrified of darkness as a kid, and it still makes me very uncomfortable. I read somewhere that the fear of darkness is something instinctual, innate, that was passed on from our ancestors. Once upon a time there really were things out there in the dark that could kill you. Something epigenetics, which is quite fascinating.

Relating to the current page, hahahahah
He's like "Nope, F. this!"
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 12:30:31 pm by monimoni »

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2017, 07:06:48 pm »
Maytag's answer to everything when she has no answer:

Tie everyone up. Have sex with them.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2017, 08:20:25 pm »
I guess this answers my question about the Thin Man. It appears that Maytag never completely trusted him, and is using Eye to Clean House. My next guess is that the Thin Man knows more about Eye than Maytag suspects, and she's going to get some answers...

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2017, 11:44:28 pm »
Maytag's answer to everything when she has no answer:

Tie everyone up. Have sex with them.

..yes please!  I have no issues with this strategy! :)

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2017, 01:20:42 am »
I'm liking the first four panels. It's like "not so tough now, huh?"  ;D

I suspect as much too. Also, if she realizes she CAN trust them, she'll probably try to acclimate (some of) them to the Storm.

I'm gonna read that story sunphoenix.

Third reaction, to do nothing. Of course, to do nothing is never truly to do nothing, there is a yin-yang seesaw of fear and fight. To nothing, plus fear is to be in shock. To do nothing plus fight is to face one's fear. And dead center, is to analyze one's fear. To still be afraid, and yet want to see beyond the storm.

I think the first part of the story is more impressive than the latter. It sounds like if you were in third phase, your best instinct to get you through intact would be concern for your sister.

As for me, I am very studious, but in terms of what everyone else seems to know, it always seems they have the important stuff figured out. Of course, sometimes they were wrong, becomoing ambitious about things that don't matter, but even the higher levrel lessons, when I became spiritual, I noticed most of the other people got it alot more.

There was a similar point of adjustment to physical darkness. But I took another approach. I at one point believed in elementalism (still do, but there's more important things out there). That things like Earth and Fire, had a sort of presence in the world and in our bodies. And stuff. Each of these had a sort of breathing style and a tai chi like kata, but anyway the point is... one night I decided to study Darkness. My fear of the dark never truly went away but I basically was at a hotel on vacation, and I decided to allow myself to become completely afraid of the dark, and then just study what I felt. Ummm, it was interesting, but didn't really change too much.

What did was one day I was on a trip, and I got some of hymn stuck in my head. "In him there is no darkness at all, the night and the day are both alike..." It would appear that light and dark are opposites, but this isn't really what either Taoism or Christianity implies. Rather than light and dark being two extremes (fundies see it this way, nobody else does), Light is the unity of everything (all colors put together, all concepts put together even apparently opposite concepts), while Darkness, of the kind that includes pain and the despair of loved ones dying, is separation (again, you find this in the color wheel). That the reason we fear death is that there is a sense of never being able to see them again (Christianity teaches this as an illusion, while Taoism teaches reality itself is an illusion). The point that I glean from this, is that as I later discovered, Taoism had a number of states of existence (interestingly, Buddhism beat out Taoism for popularity, because they said basically nothing about an afterlife, but it is more personally interesting). Basically, thye have The Void
 (Wu-chi), then separation into opposites, and the Tao is everything INCLUDING separation, in cycles. Or as Sora claims "Kingdom Hearts is Light!" before closing the gate to keep out both the heartless and King Mickey. ...What? I'm a geek.

Also, hum the Smurfs song while reading panels one  through two then at three through five gradually switch to bass keys and whole notes. It cracked me up.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 02:42:33 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2017, 04:53:29 am »
Hmmm.. interesting perspective Mrs. Briefs... I think I'll try that ...when I'm alone in the dark next time.. to allow my fear to come to the fore and analyze it. 

Honestly, when I "look" at my phantom fears in the dark the mental image is of the most Horrid things I can imagine.  H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulian mythos is the second, but those images are so out there ~ my rational mind can much more easily fight them off... but the primary imagery my fears take are of H.R. Geigers Aliens and facehuggers, those spark a almost primal Horror dread, and terror-filled panic.  I think this is so because I have seen such images in movies in motion in action so lifelike that they have a more 'solid' representation in my mind.  But again.. my mind understands such things ARE Not real and dreading them is irrational!

There is a small second part to the story, I didn't think it important to include based upon my point ...

A few days later when it was time to go to bed... usually my sister Samantha waited for me to go into the back of the house to turn on the lights so she would not have to enter the darkness herself.  This time I took her hand and told her to come with me.  She was clearly scard but I told her nothing will happen and she followed me trembling.. in our room in the pitch black {we had these really this dark green window shade that let No light in ~ funny the thing you remember from youth}.  She wanted to leave or turn on the lights immediately, but I pulled her close and hugged her.  Told her there was nothing int he dark that would hurt her... and I would ALWAYS be her protector.

Me and my sister are very close, always have been, something my father stressed was that I always protect my sister .. and I took that very seriously as a child ... and still as an adult. 

Anyways .. she was still afraid of the dark but I noticed slowly less and less as the years went by... I'd like to think I helped. She's all grown up and Very Independent now, but a month or so ago she told me I was always her Prince Protector as a child.. and she still considers me so.. kinda made my day.  :-*

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2017, 04:33:00 pm »
huh...was gonna say "the nerve of her taking the gold and running off"..then again..."the nerve of lehm bringing her here in the first place."

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2017, 11:25:18 am »

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2017, 05:08:04 am »
Fifty Million Gold Darker (or is it Freed?  ;D )
—Edward D. Morrison