Author Topic: Chapter 47: Discussion  (Read 47594 times)

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 47: Discussion
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2017, 06:46:40 pm »
I'm not sure if this is some kinda final trick. But I guess, let's trust this for now.

"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

Seikojin

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2017, 08:31:10 pm »
you don't think shes matag's inner child, do you?

Ya know, that is a good idea.  I don't think it may be a real duplicate of her though.  From what I an remember, she looked a bit different as a kid.

I love the left hook direction this is all going.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2017, 04:12:21 am »
She was all blond as a child and had May's cold eyes.

In some sense, Yin Yang Goth Girl (I enjoy naming ppl) does represent a mirror of May's past. But typically this sort of highly individualized character represents either the author (the non-lobster aspect of this kinda rules it out) or the audience. Given that I personally own a cat, and do identify with light/dark color scheme, I'm gonna go with the idea that she is supposed to represent a generalized picture of the viewer. Ideally, she would look different for all readers, but I'm not sure than is possible short of W level art.

I kind of suspect this is supposed to represent another dimension. No discernible qualia, different rules and stuff.

And this is how you do introductions. Give an assumed name for yourself "and this is my friend" with no explanation of who or what your friend is.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:51:48 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2017, 04:50:08 am »
Creepy. I also have the feeling that the "cat" is the same as the person/thing we saw earlier in dark cell. What if she's like a prisoner of the cat thing, like she is what is being guarded, in a 5th element sort of way?

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2017, 05:04:52 am »
From this conversation we have established (1) they don't appear to have names, (2) they haven't actually told much useful, and (3) so far they aren't very trustworthy.

It's not clear whether this is still part of the Dark Cell, but she can probably treat it like it is.  Since there is nowhere to go from here, either she has to set about proving this part is false to get to the real end of Dark Cell, or if this is real we are to assume that May has to assume whether its a good idea to try to bring them back.

It's entirely possible that this "introduction" is some kind of riddle. Like, she introduced herself as Eye because May can see thanks to her.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:54:38 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2017, 04:49:06 am »
Why am I fearing someone in this scene will eventually spontaneously sprout tentacles?

"dOn't fEaR uS..mAYtaG! wE sEeK PeaCefuL cOoeXiSTaNCEsSss!!!"
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2017, 08:02:30 am »

W̪͉̳̠̳͙̗ͯ̇ͦͬe̗̪͔͎̳̱̯̠ͥ̊̊ͅ'͎̯̥͚̟̤̺͈͇̈́̓ͯ̇͑̐̾̉̽̐r̙̣̳̫̜̮͙͕͕̳̤̺̬͕̟̳͇̒̈́͛͛ͭͮ̂͂̎ͮͪ̉͗̅ͤͫ̌̓̾e̬̰̜͕̺͕͎̥̻̗̳̪͓̠̯͖͈͆̑̾̇̉ͅ ̘̮̻̤͕̯̺͎̰ͫ̏͗͐ͮ͑ͩͨ͌̈́ͨͫ̾ͤ̓̌̌ͪ̈f̭͖̝̙̥̞̱͇̱͉͖͖͍̖͇͂ͮ̀̒́ͪ̃̽ͯ͑̚r̬̝̺͇̗͔̬͕̲̠̯͍ͫ̎̂̓̃i̤͙͖̰̜ͭ̈́̈̃͑͒ͥ̂ͣͅḛ̯̳͍͈ͤ̏̓ͩ̑́̐ͦ̈ͩ̀ͪ͆n̮̝̗̱̼͉̪̱̠͉͙̠ͬ̐̊̉͑ͭͧ̎ͧ̔̋ͯd̠͍̳̱̻̯͍̻̫͎̯̻̲ͫ̊́̓́ͪ̈́ͮͦ̅͑ͯ̽̋̑̚l̹̳̠̣͓͉̫͖̲͙̦̗̍̑̄̈͋̒ͫ̽͛̎͒̽̏̆͊̍y̘̝̘͎̣̱̩̖̎̉̿̅̋ͫ̈́͊̅̊ͭ́ͦ̐͗!̥͓͓̱̬̰̻̤̭̗̼͙̞͓̱̙͓͚̟͂ͬͥ̍͛ͧ̅̾ͩ ̠̜̗̟̺̭̥̹̰̙̭̺͉̹̣̦͍͓͖̐͐̊̚H͈̣̱̰̖͖̘̪̲̓̉ͭ̃̑̐̒ö̫̠̮͓̘̼͖̮̯̺̞̠͎͖́ͤͦ̋̉̚̚ne̦̯͇̘͇̺͍̠̖̥͖̩̪̫̼̭ͩͦ̇ͤ̿ͨ̐̄͑̈̋ͨ̄̊s͇̭̠̠̝̱̯̔͊̆̌ͣͦ̒̋̇̾̊ͬ̀̈͒ͅt͙̲͎̗̞͎͈̯͎̖̦̜̳̟̯̣̠̲ͧͮ̋́ͯ̏͋̈͂̏͐̈́ͣ̿̌̃ͫ̾̚ͅ!̙̣̹̰͚͚̟̦̩̜̦̻̭̹̙̘̑ͯ͊̓̅̂̓̅ͅ

—Edward D. Morrison

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2017, 09:46:25 am »
Why am I fearing someone in this scene will eventually spontaneously sprout tentacles?

Wonder if she's into tentacle sex...knowing how kinky she is XD

weirdguy

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2017, 01:26:18 pm »
I mean, this looks like a cozy room, and they're adorable, so I don't think anything is wrong with this situation at all nope nosirree

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2017, 12:53:11 am »

Wonder if she's into tentacle sex...knowing how kinky she is XD

Hmmmm... honestly?  I think I'd rather see Maytag... naked and sweaty in an intimate embrace with either Crest or an equally sweaty and naked Bern and Polly~ hehe! Neo-pollyberntag or maybe RBY {snicker}?  Maytag IS blonde.. so RBY {Red-Bern}, {Black-Polly}, {Yellow-Maytag}...?

Sometimes Maytag is so 'wide-eyed' cute.. one longs to just hold her down and ravish her thoroughly until she squeals joyfully! {snicker}! :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:25:19 am by sunphoenix »
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2017, 07:47:32 pm »
But but, it's their home! Think about the sentimental value. And stuff.
—Edward D. Morrison

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2017, 01:39:47 am »
I don't like the sound of this. I wonder if the cat will try to switch the girl and Maytag's places?

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2017, 03:33:20 pm »
Oookay this is unexpected...

mnmrn

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2017, 06:01:36 pm »
I look forward to Flipside updates more than any other.  I wish I could read the next 50 pages of their conversation immediately!

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2017, 08:23:02 pm »
I don't like the sound of this. I wonder if the cat will try to switch the girl and Maytag's places?

Still may, this reads too weird to be taken seriously.

On the other hand, these two may actually be that weird.
—Edward D. Morrison

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 02, 2017, 09:50:37 am »
Looks like she is a prisoner basically. Wonder what it is about her that requires such protection. She certainly doesn't seem like an ordinary kid.
However, has it ever been mentioned how Lehm actually found out about dark cell and how exactly it is linked to the qualia and such? Did the paintings point it out to him?
I think the dark cell/thin man story line is my favorite so far.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 02, 2017, 04:12:44 pm »
monimoni, she's probably a witch. As in, in this universe where the magic is fake, she's probably one of the few ppl (aside from CS3) who can use real magic.

It sounds like there is a back entrance.

Quote from: Oracle of Tao
Nevras: The back entrance...

Sorry, inside joke. ;D
—Edward D. Morrison

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2017, 06:34:59 pm »
WHY DIDN'T YOU WALK OUT EARLIER?!

UGH QUESTION AFTER QUESTION ON EACH PAGE XD

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2017, 11:59:29 am »
 :o So she's basically a creepy perky child?

To answer your question Marona, there was probably a barrier around the exit. Not the path itself. Meaning, remember how May had to build her physical strength? The fear thing was Eye's doing, as was the pain, and the despair. But the unseen barrier that May had to scoot past in Phase 1? This was probably kitty.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:09:48 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2017, 01:46:58 pm »
:o So she's basically a creepy perky child?

To answer your question Marona, there was probably a barrier around the exit. Not the path itself. Meaning, remember how May had to build her physical strength? The fear thing was Eye's doing, as was the pain, and the despair. But the unseen barrier that May had to scoot past in Phase 1? This was probably kitty.

Unseen barrier? I thought she had to build strength because being under intense fear for a period of time is physically exhausting. That is because dark cell forces you to feel. So, it somewhat makes sense that the more physicallly fit you are, the farther you can go. Im not really sure if this has to do with strength though, but more like stamina.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:52:22 pm by monimoni »

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2017, 04:48:50 pm »
Read that passage again. The intense fear was a distraction. While you do need determination to get past the fear, the actual issue is a sort of palpable strain on the body. She got through by building physical strength through walking around.

I find it interesting that Thin Man's qualia theory appears to be a dead end.
—Edward D. Morrison

Caffinator

• Tender Young Virgin
  • It's just one of those days
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2017, 10:46:10 am »

I wondered the same thing and it way that the cat-thing said "current carrier" leads me to believe that Eye will be able to leave because she's no longer the "current carrier". I'm sure you can follow where that line of thinking leads...
That will certainly make things difficult for May to report back to Thin Man not to mention ever see Bern again. I'm really eager now to see how she gets out of this situation. Perhaps when Eye leaves, Thin Man will be able to ask her the right questions to figure out how to get May back out again. Maybe the other girl (I forget the name) will follow May's lead (now that there is a working method to penetrate Dark Cell) and take her place as the permanent carrier of the storm.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2017, 11:57:20 am »
Good point. Of course, May being May, will probably refuse and just leave, walking back through the Storm anyway.
—Edward D. Morrison

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2017, 12:15:37 pm »
Read that passage again. The intense fear was a distraction. While you do need determination to get past the fear, the actual issue is a sort of palpable strain on the body. She got through by building physical strength through walking around.

I found the page in question: http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=2647 "the stress is what makes it so difficult to move in dark cell".
Maybe I missed the part where they mentioned a physical barrier. I guess that the kind of fear in phase 1 is something of the extreme, even impossible to imagine. It should probably have more to do with general fitness and heart condition than body type. Anyways, I don't think it's that.

Indeed, or maybe May hasn't asked the right questions yet. It's all too freaky still.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2017, 02:46:08 pm »

I found the page in question: http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=2647 "the stress is what makes it so difficult to move in dark cell".
Maybe I missed the part where they mentioned a physical barrier. I guess that the kind of fear in phase 1 is something of the extreme, even impossible to imagine. It should probably have more to do with general fitness and heart condition than body type. Anyways, I don't think it's that.

Indeed, or maybe May hasn't asked the right questions yet. It's all too freaky still.

A few things.

Basically, I think I would put it like this. It's basically like agoraphobia. When you go outside with such a condition after being a shut-in for months/years, the stress creates a physical sensation (high blood pressure, actual muscle strain, etc). But now that I see the other comments, I have a different theory about everything.

The qualia aren't something known to the two inside. This tells me Eye, at least, is innocent. And possibly that that term was something coined by Lehm and not their proper name. If she showed the painting CS3, she would like be like "Oh yeah, that's a..."

Back to the barrier. I suspect that not everyone enters the Dark Cell the same way. As in, probably when the original carrier dies, the Dark Cell opens up somewhere and random people enter, only to become the new host. The space closes around them, giving them despair, which they can't overcome, and they are trapped inside the cell with CS3. They can't of course leave unless someone switches off with them.

Which brings us to our side note. Cybele Surrogate Three. I suspect, surrogate as in, a replacement for the original Cybele. If I had to guess, I would say that Cybele (whatever her full name is) is likely the creator of the qualia, and there are three (at least) synthetic lifeforms made as substitutes (surrogates) to house her knowledge set and act as company for the one trapped in the Dark Cell. The interesting part is, CS3 is probably also jailer. She gave her back her eyes, hoping that it will trap her. So yeah, more likely Phase 3.

So basically, it isn't so much that she is trapped so much as the black aura surrounding her makes it unthinkable for her to leave (she'd be taking a huge zone of negativity with her. Usually, that makes it a "stay until you die, or find someone worthy to replace you" issue. However, all of this changes if May is able to somehow suppress or subdue the negative energy.   
—Edward D. Morrison