Author Topic: Chapter 47: Discussion  (Read 47604 times)

SirBananaPie

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chapter 47: Discussion
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2017, 01:07:05 am »
Read that last line. She didnt just condition, she substituted a stronger feeling. So this means if she comes again, this time with eyes, she will be able to see and still walk past, so long as whatever feeling (say love or rage or happiness) is able to completely overwhelm the despair.
Yeah, why not use happy feelings? Drugs, maybe? I mean, the world is magical enough that side-effects should be curable, since they're even able to revive people (see book 0).

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2017, 05:32:45 am »
Great stuff, Brion.

^ The answer to that I guess would be that magic doesnt work in dark cell. As you said this  society relies heavily on magic, so there was never a point to invent drugs or medicine?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 05:35:21 am by monimoni »

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2017, 07:45:18 pm »
In the world of Flipside, magic isn't real. That is, supposedly Bern's sword was supposed to be antimagic, but it instead behaves as a sort of two-way tunnel for force and energy. They have always had medicine, it's just been either biotech or nanotech, in the form of drinkable potions. The problem being that most of these potions involve indirect aid from Qualia to convert inert water into potion using ambient elements. So it would turn back. But I'm pretty sure they have some stuff people know about here, maybe some mushrooms or something.

Update: It sounds like Little Miss WhatsHerFace is about to try to kill May. "Looks like I may have to go through with it."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:02:54 am by bulmabriefs144 »
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2017, 04:02:08 pm »
I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SECRET!!!

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2017, 11:18:08 am »
I don't think VortexHead and WhatsHerFace are the same people. Looks like May is waking up, so to speak. Doesn't really look like she's choking.
What if... the whole dark cell thing is set up to select people with specific characteristics (to do what May just did takes some good amount and specific type of crazy) for some obscure purpose :o? I mean, if dark cell didn't want people in there, it would just directly kill everybody entering, right, why bother with all the phases?

Also, could somebody remind me how they found out about dark cell in the first place? I know about Lehm's "painting" ability, but I mean, it's like asking, "where do i find the answer to who made the qualia?" and then the painting points to some door in your house that you never noticed? Or was it that they built the place around dark cell?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 02:09:22 pm by monimoni »

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2017, 02:30:51 pm »
Now, open your eyes, Maytag....  :-\

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2017, 02:59:47 pm »
I think I see the Dark Cell as a sort of treasure keep or storehouse. Where rather than a testing place, the ordeal is apparently set up as impossible for anyone but the Master.

Whatever treasure is inside, the Master has access due to a keycard or somesuch. The rest of the poor yokels are typically forced off the property with a patented reverse vaccuum (Phase 1). If they don't scram from that, there comes the illusory razor wire (Phase 2). If they make it past that, the last test is impossible, basically a brick wall preventing passage (Phase 3). Beyond Phase 3, isn't a real phase, because you aren't actually supposed to pass here. Looked in this way, yes, it would definitely make sense to try to kill someone who actually made it somewhere they shouldn't, but before that, it would be overkill to kill people who discovered it by accident, and if was pretty much impossible to get in, no other security would normally be needed. Anyway, that's my take on this. We will have to see.

—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2017, 01:36:16 am »
"I have such wonderful WONDERFUL things to show you... but where we're going.. we don't need any Eyes!"

{Shudder!}

...now Maytag... pull out your healing potions from your sexy jester's outfit to heal those eyes... your really gonna need them.. and PLEASE don't GO MAD!!!!
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Trennicus

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2017, 01:40:11 pm »
I bet Marzia has made it to the end of the Dark Cell.

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2017, 03:32:51 pm »
I bet Marzia has made it to the end of the Dark Cell.
WHAT A TWEEST

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2017, 05:17:06 pm »
What? All this to meet 'The Child--Like Empress'? Maytag... though a adult young woman... is on the petite size... so that reaching hand is certainly smaller... 'child-like'...?
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2017, 10:55:23 pm »
Women as a whole tend to have slim arms. And there are other explanations, such as malnourishment. Remember, she hasn't had anything to eat in like... ever.
—Edward D. Morrison

Andrea

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2017, 11:16:29 pm »
It's been a long time since my last post.

I have to say this dark cell thing is very exciting! Can't wait to read the following pages.

Let's hope Brion doesn't leave us with this cliffhanger to follow some other character's story.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2017, 06:13:10 am »
Women as a whole tend to have slim arms. And there are other explanations, such as malnourishment. Remember, she hasn't had anything to eat in like... ever.

Scratch that. I looked again. The arm size is not much smaller than May, but the hand is that of a little kid.

We might get a backstory chapter, Andrea. If not, next one is probably Crest, since both May and Bern have done some sort of ordeal, and Crest hasn't really done much aside from determine some information that can't even be proven.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 06:17:27 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2017, 10:10:17 am »
D'aww, how nice of her. I had a feeling this would happen.

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2017, 10:25:09 am »
HER EYES

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2017, 01:26:22 pm »
There ya go! Called it!  :P Maytag pulled it off!

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2017, 03:59:11 am »
May didn't do that. This little girl did with her whack to the head. No eyes->blind eyes->working eyes.

Anyone wanna lay odds on what she looks like? My theory? Magic isn't real, but that idea of demons that we heard about from Bloody Mary is actually true. There are other beings with tech and powers other than humans. The powers arent really magic so much as a sort of touch applied effect system (when she bopped her on the head, she rewired her brain to start cellular regeneration). This is why Marzia looks so creepy, shes one of the Moon Children (to reference Majora's Mask). So my theory is that she looks like Marzia's younger sister.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:19:15 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2017, 03:15:45 pm »
May didn't do that. This little girl did with her whack to the head. No eyes->blind eyes->working eyes.

Anyone wanna lay odds on what she looks like? My theory? Magic isn't real, but that idea of demons that we heard about from Bloody Mary is actually true. There are other beings with tech and powers other than humans. The powers arent really magic so much as a sort of touch applied effect system (when she bopped her on the head, she rewired her brain to start cellular regeneration). This is why Marzia looks so creepy, shes one of the Moon Children (to reference Majora's Mask). So my theory is that she looks like Marzia's younger sister.

Waitasec. You're thinking Maytag was REALLY blind?! That doesn't make any sense! She'd cut her eyes out just to see what the final barrier was for the Dark Cell? I find that hard to believe, since for all she'd know it was nothing but a lark, and she cut her eyes out for nothing....

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2017, 05:15:03 pm »
http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=3101

I thought so too, but then I read this one.

"I won't get my sight back from this, but it should dull the pain."

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=3107

First four panels have her with no eyes or blank eyes (what you would get if you had eyes but were blind). It isn't clear from the black and white, but it is clear that she is blind.

Her sight was legitimately restored.

I thought it was mind over matter, but when she didn't restore herself afterwards, and used a potion, I was like "nah..."

Turns out she doesnt look like much. I wonder if this is because she has no set physical form, or just that maytag's eyes aren't up to seeing someone like her. Looks like a girl with a hat and a cat.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 03:03:49 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2017, 05:07:05 am »
Hm. Then Maytag's a bigger fool than I thought, taking a chance like that.....  :o :'(

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2017, 04:32:49 pm »
It was a calculated risk. If she failed, what money she has now would grow her new eyes if Thin Man wouldn't himself. And there's always the possibility Little Miss Psycho Maid might decide to give her "special" eyes. Heat vision!  ;D

Maytag is a bit crazy, remember? This was a girl who was willing to cut off her own fingers to rescue Bern.
—Edward D. Morrison

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2017, 08:15:33 pm »
Hm. Then Maytag's a bigger fool than I thought, taking a chance like that.....  :o :'(

Well thats apropos considering she's a jester!  But seriously, yeah its a bit crazy, but also they live in a world where basically any injury can be healed, so I think its not quite as crazy as it might seem for us.

weirdguy

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2017, 10:51:26 pm »
[ten more pages of stalling]

i think the situation where she submitted her arm as a snack was probably worse than the fingers thing

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2017, 03:24:42 am »
Uh, okay. I like her cat.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2017, 04:08:24 am »
I think May and Bern could pass her off as a kid. What with May's jester motif just "she dyed her hair that way."

She definitely could stand to get out of this place. Just one issue though. The Dark Cell, is obviously a cell. The fact that is holding her, means she probably can't get out on her own. How does may take another person back? The first two phases were no sweat but the third she cut her eyes out last time. And that wasn't involving another person and a cat. It might also be a sort of fox, chicken, and seed deal when she has to go back and forth but certain combinations don't work well.

Also, can other people see her? She looked blurry at first.

Also, this video is somehow fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XX1ZvT8aHg

Void Kitten sucks you in when you rub its whiskers.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:18:29 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2017, 04:36:57 am »
*looks at girl* ....*runs away* I ALWAYS HAVE BAD LUCK WITH CREEPY KIDS

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2017, 06:30:27 am »
"Ummm.. there's a hole in that pussy..."

Sorry... I'm a bad Bad BAD boy.. had to say it. :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:36:31 am by sunphoenix »

phillip1882

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2017, 12:44:25 pm »
you don't think shes matag's inner child, do you?
there are two ways to be a patriot. the first is to join the military. the second is to convince the government that use of military force is unnecessary. the second is much more difficult but also more rewarding.

badmunky64

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2017, 02:17:36 pm »
Good to finally be in the forums.

I'm not 100% that she's trapped in the dark cell as that's just what the Thin Man called it.  He has no idea that a "person" was in there.

Soooo the cat has a hole for a face.  It must be whatever the sentient creature in phase 3 is since it had a hole for a face after Maytag passed it.

One question that has been on my mind since we were shown the Dark Cell is how does the Thin Man know the answer to his questions relating to the Qualia are inside the Dark Cell?  How did he even find it?