Author Topic: Chapter 46: Discussion  (Read 49361 times)

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 46: Discussion
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2016, 03:06:22 am »
I dont know, I thought they did that when the crowd didn't like somebody. Would be a bit weird considering they're the most popular fighters. We don't know what the dart does yet.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2016, 06:33:48 pm »
Probably a paralysis dart. I have a feeling Polly won't be able to help with this battle, Bern's gonna have to finish herself. Hopefully it's not a poison dart. I don't want to see her doing this without her.
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2016, 09:06:09 am »
I dont know, I thought they did that when the crowd didn't like somebody. Would be a bit weird considering they're the most popular fighters. We don't know what the dart does yet.

Whatever it is, it can't be something good, and no, Polly is not alright.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2016, 09:14:56 am »
You can do an S-Rank-up match. Or you can do A-Rank battle royal style, as an S-rank-up challenge. You choice.

;D

Why do I have this feeling the MC and their sponsors, after hearing Bern and Polly refusing to do an A-Rank jump, conspire to get these two losers to do just this (to get set free early in exchange) and force Bern and Polly to do the jump, or for Bern to watch Polly die? Yeah, I can see this. The only thing I wonder about is did the dude consider a PO'd Polly to kill him? Somehow, I doubt it.

I look for Bern to do the jump to A-Rank for both of them to keep Polly from dying...

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2016, 09:18:10 am »
Probably a paralysis dart. I have a feeling Polly won't be able to help with this battle, Bern's gonna have to finish herself. Hopefully it's not a poison dart. I don't want to see her doing this without her.

See my post above. I think it's a slow-poison dart designed to force Bern (and Polly) to move up to A-Rank....

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2016, 02:45:22 pm »
S-Rank.

They are on A-Rank already.

Also, this seems alot more like breaking someone's kneecaps to prevent them from skating than a thing planned by the sponsors. Which poison would pretty much have to be. That might not stop them from denying treatment for what is still like a shard straight through her... brachial artery (looked it up). It's a pretty big artery, and I don't think having a hole in it normally makes one all that healthy even if poison isn't involved.
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2016, 09:09:47 pm »
So... now~ saying 'fuck it' and busting out of here is starting to sound much more reasonable. Cause I'm not actually buying that the 'Sponsors' had nothing to do with this.. to much coincidence means there is no such thing! 

Its clear to me .. the 'sponsors' are going to do WHATEVER they have to do to Keep Bernadette and or Polly in their Arena perpetually. 

This was never really about Justice anyways.  A law system that underhands its own laws by rigging the system to serve their greed is not a law system that needs to be obeyed or respected in the least! 

Bust out.. kill every son of a bitch that tries to stop you.  Cause in the end.. that's what it looks like this is going to come down to anyways.
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2016, 06:38:11 am »
Yeah, it's a rigged game. It seems like they are in reach of their goal, but the house always wants to win, upping the stakes until they can't manage. No matter what dirty tricks they have to pull.

Merely escaping won't do, though, they'll catch her and add marks.

This is a choice between doing things the right way (becoming so OP that the sponsors have to resort to trying to bringing their best people until finally they're like "fuck it, this is no contest, we can't make any more money from you" and let them go), and doing things the easy way (simply becoming fed up and leaving, which might land them right back in the slammer).  It's stacked against her, but unfortunately for their sponsors, they have the teamwork and they have the tools.

Right now, though, Polly is top priority. And Bern doesn't really know how to help her short of playing along.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:41:39 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2016, 08:18:12 am »
AW SHIT MAN THINGS ARE GOING DOWNHILL!!!

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2016, 04:45:44 am »
Are we approaching the end of this chapter? Anyways Bernadette especially really needs to reconsider her strategy. She cares too much about the well-being of others; always planning her moves as to not cause much harm to her enemies. She also assumes her enemies have some sort of dignity. Well, that makes her especially predictable and vulnerable..in a place with no morals or rules.. This is where Warden had a point, imo. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 04:52:09 am by monimoni »

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2016, 05:31:00 am »
I don't think you get it.

Bern isn't being "soft" she has seen the sort of people this place churns out. She sees the only way to keep her sanity as to be better than this place. And she's right. Those like Big I-Rod (this now his canon name) way back a few chapters ago let themselves get manipulated by the warden by hearing a promise of an easy victory against weak opponents. These people end up as sacrifices to this sick system. Bern, on the other hand, tries not to underestimate anyone, that everyone is potentially of worth and not up for slaughter. Her style is defensive and cautious. It was this that gave her a few seconds heads up to notice the guy throwing the weapon.

This doesn't make her infallible, she has flaws like everyone. But there's another thing. Her swords. Her swords are like a giant judo weapon. If she changed her style, openings would begin to form in her defense. She would become like these other chumps, all attack and no skill. Polly does what works for her, Bern is who she is supposed to be. This however, is not their best day. But a dirty attack doesn't "prove" that your approach is wrong. It proves that you need to be aware that occasionally people may try to trick you.

This was something brought up in the Kung Fu show. They were raised in a Buddhist Shaolin or whatever setting. The master raised these kids, and one day they got robbed. The master asked them "what have you learned?" One of the kids said "not to trust anymore." Hero said "expect the unexpected", but the master was like "You can GO now" to the other one, and proceeded to tell them about how when the nail fails, you don't blame ALL nails and stop building. Sometimes you just hit it wrong or had a bad nail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzKXNqBxPrc

Bern needs to improve, yes, but she needs to set an example to this place. Why? Because either she can be better than it, or it can be better than her.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 05:49:48 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2016, 10:52:48 am »
Cool video
This however, is not their best day. But a dirty attack doesn't "prove" that your approach is wrong. It proves that you need to be aware that occasionally people may try to trick you.
Don't underestimate your enemy, is all I'm saying. Once the opponent is down, she should not give them the chance to fight back. Should've learned this from the fight with big I-rod guy. People will do about anything here and dirty moves are not sanctioned. Plus she had plenty free time while Polly was beating the fat guy..
Also the MC mentions "her favorite move" as going for the legs. Talk about being predictable..

In any case that was extremely dirty. Also interesting how it was aimed at Bern.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:00:34 am by monimoni »

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2016, 05:13:50 am »
Wow.  Polly is Soooo lovely... who can blame Bern for not falling head over heels for her?
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

TheCollector

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2016, 02:06:06 pm »
WOW. Okay Polly better damn well get better, cause if that guy says she's going to die or some shit then I'm just done with this comic.

Any other death whatever, but this would basically be the same lesbian takes a bullet for the one they love bullshit every tv show in the world seems to pull, and it would seriously disappoint me if Flipside did the same.

Wulf

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2016, 08:03:13 pm »
I am confident the arena might just happens to have the right extremely rare antidote in stock, available for the tiny price of going to S-Rank and perhaps an extra thousand marks or five.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2016, 10:30:21 am »
WOW. Okay Polly better damn well get better, cause if that guy says she's going to die or some shit then I'm just done with this comic.

Any other death whatever, but this would basically be the same lesbian takes a bullet for the one they love bullshit every tv show in the world seems to pull, and it would seriously disappoint me if Flipside did the same.
Looks like Brion is a fan of "The 100" and also "Once Upon a Time" resolution for lesbian characters this year ;)

Shame to see the best character in the comic so far which really grow on me much more than May or, blasphemy even Bern at some point, ended her life with such fate.

You would think that arena masters would not finish their profitable warriors in such way, but it really looks that there are no second chances for them after the prisoners refuse their promotion.

And we should remember that the poison was aimed at Bern not Polly, but from the guy's thoughts it looked he just got orders to poison one of them to break up the duo and make other suffer.
Kinda shitty deal for Polly, reunite with your life's love, then sacrifice your freedom for her, finally sell your body for her sake and now give up the life like previous deeds weren't enough...
Granted she heard that Bern loved her, she even got sex with her, but still the outcome is bad cause she never had a chance with May since May is the MC.

I still have some hope that this will turn into some poison which just slows down the heart rate and later could be reverted, but the chances are slim.
And if this is truly the end for Polly then at least I hope this will change Bern moralityand give her enough hardened resolve to kill all the arena masters and Warden in cold blood for what they did to her, semi-Gladiator movie style.

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2016, 11:13:55 am »
Come onnnnnnnnn

Sh** just got real for Bern.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:30:02 pm by monimoni »

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2016, 11:23:29 am »
Noooo!!!!

So... shit.. I feel awful.. but does that mean Bern gets to keep Polly's Ball... and WREAK THE HELL out of EVERYBODY!?!

Cause then, they can't get near her because of her swords and she can pound the most deserving FUCK out of all of them {ironically}..with Polly's Ball!

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2016, 03:22:12 am »
Oh, man! Is this really happening?! Brian's got to have something up his sleeve, he's got to....

TheCollector

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2016, 09:39:43 pm »

Looks like Brion is a fan of "The 100" and also "Once Upon a Time" resolution for lesbian characters this year ;)

Shame to see the best character in the comic so far which really grow on me much more than May or, blasphemy even Bern at some point, ended her life with such fate.

You would think that arena masters would not finish their profitable warriors in such way, but it really looks that there are no second chances for them after the prisoners refuse their promotion.

And we should remember that the poison was aimed at Bern not Polly, but from the guy's thoughts it looked he just got orders to poison one of them to break up the duo and make other suffer.
Kinda shitty deal for Polly, reunite with your life's love, then sacrifice your freedom for her, finally sell your body for her sake and now give up the life like previous deeds weren't enough...
Granted she heard that Bern loved her, she even got sex with her, but still the outcome is bad cause she never had a chance with May since May is the MC.

I still have some hope that this will turn into some poison which just slows down the heart rate and later could be reverted, but the chances are slim.
And if this is truly the end for Polly then at least I hope this will change Bern moralityand give her enough hardened resolve to kill all the arena masters and Warden in cold blood for what they did to her, semi-Gladiator movie style.
Well fuck him then, and no I'm not censoring that for once.
I mean what? Has Bury Your Gays become popular now? Is that what everyones jumping to do? See how many people they can piss off compared to others?
Since the first one in 1976, 160 lesbian and bisexual woman have been killed off on tv shows.
And believe it or now, it's even worse then it sounds, because 98 of those deaths, 98 of those characters killed. Took place in the past 5 and a half years. Yeah.
2010-2012 8 died each year, 2013-2014 16 died each year, and then in 2015 23 died.
At this point 2016 is at a whopping 19. And the years only half over.
Just saying, maybe JRoth isn't the type of writer you should model yourself after.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2016, 01:37:42 am »
I am confident the arena might just happens to have the right extremely rare antidote in stock, available for the tiny price of going to S-Rank and perhaps an extra thousand marks or five.

Yup, keep stringing her along.

Probably now they'll promise to resurrect her or something. Bern should just tell them to fuck off or she'll kill them. Polly wouldn't want them working so hard to be free only to get sucked back into slavery. Also, pretty sure May wouldn't be okay with knowing that Bern is taking deal after stupid deal when she needs to get her life better, and have a work situation that actually works for her without her worrying about her life.

Bern needs to turn the tables on this bastard and be like "no, YOU listen! You are going to revive her, or I'm not going to anymore of your stupid battles! I'm going to stay in my cell and kill any guards that try to make me do otherwise. That won't be profitable for you, would it?" 

It's pretty clear why Bern was targeted. She has the better weapon, that can turn this thing around. She is also more taciturn Polly is weaker, probably would make for better entertainment, and would not have any chance of winning this back. She is also (despite appearances) more submissive, less principled, and more likely to do whatever the situation takes. Bern is more likely to sulk and refuse to cooperate at all.

Also, geez that statistic is almost more depressing than the actual statistic of RL LGBT  deaths. Almost.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:41:37 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

Puyon

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2016, 08:10:46 am »
Bern's character is built around her integrity, though she has been shown to be willingly violent when the lives of people she cares about are endangered such as when Suspiria dropped Maytag from the sky or when she threatened the healer when Grant was dying. Good thing neither of those two died, but hoo boy, Polly is most probably dead. I don't know how I feel about Bern trying to kill everyone (or even threaten to do so), because killing people I cold blood has been against her code since uh… forever. I would like to see how Bernadette is going to uphold her mentality that she won't kill anyone if she doesn't have to. Her character is really going to be challenged here and yeah, I'm really mad if that's what Polly's death is going to be reduced to; something that forces Bern to have to change.

…also while I'm not okay with the premise of Bern murdering anyone, I am heavily in favor of Bern punching this guy in the teeth, if only to get him to shut the ever loving heck up.

Wulf

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2016, 11:26:49 am »
Hmm, well, Book Zero did show that ressurection was possible, but that it was expensive and depended on the cause of death. Since we also now know or at least assume magic is produced by tiny nanobots, I guess the big limiter is how damaged the brain is. Still, being death does damage the brain rather quickly, so the time limit has to be rather tight.

Good thing the warden is there with his sincere used car salesman smile to propose the deal of the century. Stringing along? Nonsense, the management is wholly unresponsible for this fully unexpected and unfortunate turn of events. It is only in our vastly infinite generosity that we propose an equitable solution with an insignificant cost compared to the expenses deployed for it. Truly, you are in our (infinite) debt.

Also still possible, perhaps being the more affordable option, would be having the poison causing a realistic simulation of death and having the healer lying.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2016, 12:18:37 pm »
That smile...

That FUCKING SMILE...!!!

I think the arena masters have made a major mistake.  You can push people.. only so far, and true it varies with each person.  But... there comes a point .. when you have pushed a person Too Far~ and there is no going back for them... or YOU!

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2016, 03:03:44 pm »
That guy...
*grabs knife* YOU LIKE SMILING SO MUCH?! LET ME CUT A SMILE INTO YOU.

YOU WILL NEVER. STOP. SMILING. :D

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2016, 07:48:34 pm »
Yeah, okay, I get it now. My original thought is back about the sponsors wanting them to move up...

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2016, 04:32:43 am »
Bern's character is built around her integrity, though she has been shown to be willingly violent when the lives of people she cares about are endangered such as when Suspiria dropped Maytag from the sky or when she threatened the healer when Grant was dying. Good thing neither of those two died, but hoo boy, Polly is most probably dead. I don't know how I feel about Bern trying to kill everyone (or even threaten to do so), because killing people I cold blood has been against her code since uh… forever. I would like to see how Bernadette is going to uphold her mentality that she won't kill anyone if she doesn't have to. Her character is really going to be challenged here and yeah, I'm really mad if that's what Polly's death is going to be reduced to; something that forces Bern to have to change.

…also while I'm not okay with the premise of Bern murdering anyone, I am heavily in favor of Bern punching this guy in the teeth, if only to get him to shut the ever loving heck up.

Yeah it is. Funny thing about snapping and going on a rampage though. It's still you, it's just the logical extreme of who you are. That is, if Bern went on this sort of rampage...
  • She would kill the very least amount of people possible, just those who were in control, or who insisted on hunting her down.
  • She would kill those who needed it (this guy, the sponsors, the legal ppl) in the cleanest, most efficient, and least painful way. Except for whoever most deserved it (the people making money from "entertainment" and suffering of others) who she would leave a bloody mess as a cautionary tale
  • She would leave alot of guards hamstrung, disabled, or unconscious

Bern going on a rampage would be, basically, an extremely angry person with integrity, insane with grief but doing noticeably a minimal amount of harm to innocent lives. All the same, on second thought, that would be a little dark even for this comic.

Good thing the warden is there with his sincere used car salesman smile to propose the deal of the century. Stringing along? Nonsense, the management is wholly unresponsible for this fully unexpected and unfortunate turn of events. It is only in our vastly infinite generosity that we propose an equitable solution with an insignificant cost compared to the expenses deployed for it. Truly, you are in our (infinite) debt.

Also still possible, perhaps being the more affordable option, would be having the poison causing a realistic simulation of death and having the healer lying.

Until Bern realizes there was never any debt to begin with, and the entire incident was caused by a needlessly obstructive doctor who could have made an exception for someone's loved one. "First do no harm." Someone's dying, you heal them first and then prepare the IOU. Any debt she has was between her and the doctor, and could have been paid off simply by giving her name and residence. Instead, we have trumped up jail charge that is actually tenfold of what the actual debt would be (there is no way it would take her months to pay off what was a minor healing and recompense for threatening).

But, yea, you're in "our" debt now. For a low low price of 50 million marks, we can revive her. Also, you'll have to fight for S-Rank from now.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 04:50:55 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2016, 01:15:52 pm »
What is this guy implying...

mittfh

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2016, 03:16:33 pm »
What is this guy implying...

It wouldn't surprise me if he then goes onto say resurrection isn't cheap, followed by a load of bull which translates as "we want to keep you two around as long as possible, as you're very good for business."

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2016, 04:32:17 am »
Remember when this guy said something about the guy who used to run the Colosseum and how they'd be getting raped right now? They still wound up both being forced to have sex to pay off their debts.

I'm hoping when these two finally do come out on top, this smarmy guy gets his just desserts.
—Edward D. Morrison