Author Topic: Chapter 45: discussion  (Read 52359 times)

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 45: discussion
« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2016, 02:49:12 am »
Something about this dude irritates the hell out of me.

Maybe it's the whole brain fog thing where everyone he talks to seems to get dumber by comparison.

Look "I've known her for years" or "they are public figures" is not really a suitable explanation. By known for years, do you mean regularly attend the shop where she was, without really meeting Suspiria until she was three or five? Did you see her being born?

Suppose this scenario. You see them in town at this restaurant first about 14 years. But Suspiria is 17! Just knowing them that time still leaves a gap. Or maybe they are around town for longer than Suspiria but she introduces the child in the restaurant at a young age after having raised her for a few years in private. Or even simply introducing her as an infant without having seen her born.

Suspiria could easily have been kidnapped and adopted at a young age, and you would have no way of knowing! But Suspiria might if she had childhood memories of trauma. Known her parents for years is not enough. How long have you known her? And how can we be certain we can trust you? You don't need to act like an impostor to be an adopted mother and father. You just omit the fact that a child isn't yours and everything else is real. Lots of families play off the fact that one of the kids isn't theirs. Watch Switched At Birth. It's only really the child in some cases that figures this out and the parents needn't be "impostors".
For that matter because of childhood amnesia you aren't sure of any of the details of your life, including your birthday.

Perhaps this is why he annoys me so much, his arguments are so specious but he acts like they are the  truth that everyone needs to believe. They aren't. And people don't.

But no, nobody else can possibly be right once you employ Occam's Razor. Yes it is more reasonable to assume horses than zebras. But not if you live neara zebra farm.

Uhhhh what?!? Why would this scenario need to play anything more than this: A powerful wizard family won't let her join as a wizard, so she kills the parents like a day after giving birth to her, and asks a sterile couple to pad her stomach for about nine months in exchange for a child. She is nine months older than she should be in and with a simple ruse (possibly augmented by a spell keeping her from growing by putting her in suspended animation) most of the town is fooled. No conspiracy involved, just Qtalda bribing a couple. That's hardly dumb either, and qtalda is that evil.

http://m.wikihow.com/Fake-Pregnancy

Just so you know.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:10:05 am by bulmabriefs144 »
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2016, 06:05:40 am »
I'm right with you there Bulma...

Cause his entire specious argument ASSUMES.. he's not working for Qtalda and gonna say whatever to back her story!

And as for the entire Council not being in her pocket.. uhm.. excuse me ..THEY WERE! The Only person who was surprised at Qtalda's admission was their leader... NOBODY else stepped forward to side with him in condemning Qtalda's actions for the crime they were!
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2016, 08:05:28 am »
As much as it pains me to say this. Unfortunately, the burden of proof is on Suspira at the moment.

First, prior to the confrontation with The Conclave, Suspira did attack those three students. Granted, the students were up to no good, and did, quite publicly, attack her first, but her actions were legally considered assault.

Second, the fact that Suspira's "parents" came forward, puts doubt on Qtalda's "confession," and the events leading up to it.

Third. It is readily apparent that the Thin Man, through Melter did something to her, and she hid it, until it was too late to do anything about it. People who are "clients" of The Thin Man are, without exception, mentally unstable once they are returned to the outside world. We are yet to be shown if this is by design, or merely an unintended side-effect of his experiments.

Fourth, Crest has no way of knowing which is true. Suspira's parents alive or dead?

Crest's only hope is to try and find some independently verifiable evidence.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 19, 2016, 03:11:22 pm »
I'm not sure that's so.

I also post on a Religion & Spirituality forum at City-Data. One of the things they do talk about is burden of proof.

• If theism attempts to convert atheism, the burden of proof is on them (they have made a claim that there is a God)
  • If atheism attempts to deconvert theism, the burden of proof is on them (they have made a claim that there is no God)

Bottom line, burden of proof is always on the one that makes a claim or accusation. In law courts, this is the same way.

It seems like that guy (forgot his name) keeps spouting nonsense. But he has very little to back it up.

We have someone who literally saw her admit to that, saw her attack in self-defense, etc. Versus the words of someone who seems like they could be a liar, and another who wasn't there.

We have the words of someone who also could be a liar saying they have known these parents for years.

In an actual court, I believe this evidence would be hearsay, and all you would get (since Thin Man's experiments, as far as the public knows are taken without consent; even though he says they are voluntary and with a reward, he still routinely mind-wipes people) is actually just the charge of assault. Which as far as we can tell, was wholly deserved.
—Edward D. Morrison

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2016, 07:30:33 am »
Wow, so Crest agrees that Suspira's parents are "genuine" but still doesn't buy the "Suspira was controlling everyone" bit, and he's got good arguments to back him up. Crest may be no sorceror, but he's a damn smart cookie.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 22, 2016, 05:04:21 pm »
Brion, who are the rest of the Conclave? I only know Lord Halcyon and Qtalda.

The next scene probably won't work if we don't know who the rest of these guys are.

Okay, relooking, we have Qtalda the mummy man, Bell the receptionist, Lord Halcyon the leader, and these guys.

Since most of them get offed (eliminating them as suspects), and this includes Lord Halcyon (who also was duped), we have just two candidates.

Qtalda (notice when she said that she must be erased, they all decided this was reasonable) and Bell. It's always the secretary!  ;D

Oh my. Look at this scene. There is someone standing behind Crest!

So yes, Crest is right, there was someone else.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:19:10 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2016, 04:59:00 am »
That looks like Crest hiding behind a tree looking at Q'talda. Still.. Do you suppose Halcyon was using a body double too?

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2016, 08:48:56 am »
You know going to the next page... after that scene with the hiding figure... who I thought was Moby.. when I saw it the first time... Qtalda has Suspiria in her cube of force trap.. and Qtalda's words...

Quote: "Humph. Considering your about to die, I suppose you deserve to know the TRUTH..."

THIS is all bullshit.. I'm NOT Buying any stupid what if's about mind control.. Qtalda thought she could get away with it as she would be killing or altering the memories of everyone present so she... like some evil mastermind villain got caught in monologue.. and she SERIOUSLY underestimated Suspiria!

CAUSE on the same page Qtalda admits that...

Quote: "I guess whatever the thin man did to you brought back the memories I erased..."

She reveals she can alter memories.. so this dude.. her puppet mouth-piece .. MAY be as much a victim as Suspiria real parents.. or the imposters who may very well believe Erroneously that Suspiria is their daughter!

Qtalda is a dangerous Bitch.. and needs to be given a permanent Dirt Nap real quick like!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:55:19 am by sunphoenix »
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 25, 2016, 04:37:48 am »
You know going to the next page... after that scene with the hiding figure... who I thought was Moby.. when I saw it the first time... Qtalda has Suspiria in her cube of force trap.. and Qtalda's words...

Quote: "Humph. Considering your about to die, I suppose you deserve to know the TRUTH..."

THIS is all bullshit.. I'm NOT Buying any stupid what if's about mind control.. Qtalda thought she could get away with it as she would be killing or altering the memories of everyone present so she... like some evil mastermind villain got caught in monologue.. and she SERIOUSLY underestimated Suspiria!

CAUSE on the same page Qtalda admits that...

Quote: "I guess whatever the thin man did to you brought back the memories I erased..."

She reveals she can alter memories.. so this dude.. her puppet mouth-piece .. MAY be as much a victim as Suspiria real parents.. or the imposters who may very well believe Erroneously that Suspiria is their daughter!

Qtalda is a dangerous Bitch.. and needs to be given a permanent Dirt Nap real quick like!

This reminds me. I think there was a quote attributed to a mystery detective:  "Remove the impossible, and whatever remains, no matter how unlikely, must be the truth." Or as Detective Conan says "One Truth Prevails!"

Let's suppose that he is right, it is impossible to control the entire conclave. What does that leave?

An illusion, or the situation as it happened. Illusions work on of two ways, either by altering the minds of those subjects around them or by creating a large scale simulation VR. In the former idea, we have the same exact problem as the control theory, plus we are assuming that Crest is well hidden (oops, this theory just doesn't work). The wide scale VR sim seems likevit would be cost prohibitive in terms of magic, given the wide range and the fact that also shows to to those looking in. Plus it would not be able to manipulate all those people, as that would involve showing them tailor made images to get them to act, and even then? Qtalda still admitted to something.

So which is more possible, a wide scale illusion (the only way this would even work is if the people weren't really there besides Suspiria, and this is sharply contradicted by the use of death spells, one of which is causing her and crest to decay), a wide scale mind control? No, these are impossible given the circumstances. Short of the person behind crest setting it up just for him but this still leaves someone whose power dwarfs suspiria pulling strings. And there is nothing to suggest this isn't qtalda. So why was this necessary?

Remove the impossible, what do we have? The scene Crest saw. Two hired actresses, a very suspicious little girl, who is gaslighted, the Conclave in on it. All of these, so far require no magic, just convincing actors and gullible people. Then we have one scene where moby, regina, crest, and what's his name are shown the parents. At some point, a suggestion spell could have been silent cast. Suggestion is not difficult, compared with mind control, just say something and the words are convincing. This is plausible. The ither thing, is there is a strong suspicion that this guy is also a mole for Qtalda, since he has done little to show otherwise. This even requires one less person to suggest. So we have three stupid kids, that get fed "look here these two random people are the parents." We can narrow the spell effect down to just Crest and Regina if we accept that moby and the other guy are also stooges. Or dupes.  Let's call Moby and. Glasses guy dupes, and this guy a stooge. Qtalda has to resort to very little to fool everyone in that room. That's very possible.

Suspiria never even seemed to be casting a control spell, and would need to disperse it in a radius. Not happening. On the other hand, Qtalda and four others attacking with maybe some sugggestion (but they looked bloodthirsty anyway)? Yeah this is doable.They ask her and suddenly there is a switch from wanting her alive to "let's kill her". Wait, but look over this scene again. It feels odd. She assaulted her schoolmates. This deserves maybe a stern talking to. But there is a logical leap from that to execution, that just isn't there.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:41:21 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 25, 2016, 09:44:38 am »
Or.. worse yet. Q'talda, who may or may not have been the extra "invisible" person there may have set all this up to off Halcyon and take over. After all, she's the only one who knows how to prepare  the special "anti murder microbe" resin to protect herself.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #190 on: April 25, 2016, 12:17:08 pm »
Yeah, its clear to me she was LYING about not having her body there to explain why she survived.. all bullshit as well.. I'm pretty sure the invisible foot-prints we saw walking away were her/it.

Which brings up the question.. what the hell is she?  clearly her body is not composed of flesh as we know it... so.. what's HER story?!?

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 25, 2016, 02:05:40 pm »
Yeah, its clear to me she was LYING about not having her body there to explain why she survived.. all bullshit as well.. I'm pretty sure the invisible foot-prints we saw walking away were her/it.

Which brings up the question.. what the hell is she?  clearly her body is not composed of flesh as we know it... so.. what's HER story?!?

She spent years developing a flesh eating creature spell.

Spent years developing.

It's entirely possible that some of those years were spent either transforming her body into a largely intangible one, or learning how to make a solid astral projection that returns to her real body when damaged. After all, if she lost control of the critters, it's pretty much instant gameover for her, so it makes sense if her body is now not flesh-based.

—Edward D. Morrison

Darque

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: April 25, 2016, 03:23:51 pm »
I love how the rest of the cast is hanging on to Crest's every word here, when any sane individual would have said 'Is there a coherent point to this rambling, and if so can you please get to it' by now.

The early bird is flying solo and will probably be killed by the earlier cat.

Confidence is that warm, fuzzy feeling you get before you comprehend the situation.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2016, 05:10:02 am »
I love how the rest of the cast is hanging on to Crest's every word here, when any sane individual would have said 'Is there a coherent point to this rambling, and if so can you please get to it' by now.

He's already shown there's more than one coherent point to his "rambling" and what he's saying has to be taken step by step or it's not going to make sense.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2016, 03:59:15 pm »
I wonder what he means. Let's examine that scene around Halcyon and see if we can make sense of it.

Rereading that scene, I saw something completely different.

Halcyon isn't present while Qtalda burns someone to the ground with decay magic

Halcyon asks what should be done. They all seem to be in agreement already, aside from him.

Then they all confer to Qtalda

He already seems blindsided, just from her response. She goes on to explain a lame excuse about how "difficult" this is, how she knew her like a sister or something. It smells like a lie, and it smells like manipulation. But distinctly not like Halcyon was the one pulling the strings. More like, there was some reason Halcyon remained a figurehead, that it was more convincing to have someone with conventional leadership in charge vs someone who had to exert magic to control people. As such, he is very much out of the loop.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:09:56 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2016, 05:51:08 am »
Ok. THIS. This I pointed out at the time of the event. Either Halcyon was "in on it," deliberately "turned a blind eye" to the Conclave's actions, or was a complete idiot who was only useful as a figurehead despite his insanely high magical power.

I'm glad to see Crest picked up on it. So that explains why Crest has come to the conclusion that someone mind-controlled the Conclave and Suspira. Very interesting.

IronSoul

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2016, 08:37:30 pm »
I agree that Crest has a point about Halcyon's behavior being a little fishy. That's fine, but, correct me if I'm wrong, but does any of this really suggest or prove that Suspria could be innocent, either?

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 29, 2016, 04:35:50 am »
Maybe he was muddled.

Think of mind control as snatching water from a river, and holding it in a jar. You own the water completely, and can pour it wherever you want, even places far away where it would not normally go.

Suggestion is like cupping water in your hands. The water is free to go where it wishes, but you also hold it. It takes less effort to do this, and the subject retains their personality (as in, they are not acting out stuff you want, they are them, but they are more inclined to agree with you). But for someone like Halcyon, you would be aware of the magic cast here, because his perception of magic is like a beacon of sunlight.

What else can you do with a river of water? Kick dirt up until it becomes cloudy. I would be very surprised if during this event, Halcyon could have cast anything more powerful than a cantrip. His mind was clouded to the point of a doddering old man. And yes, he did seem to be out of the loop.

But Crest isn't done talking, so let's see how this plays out.
—Edward D. Morrison

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 29, 2016, 12:11:45 pm »
This chapter has Phoenix Wright written all over it...XD

I'm even listening to this song while reading it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3R8tkvlAlk

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 29, 2016, 05:48:16 pm »
Let's see if I can make sense of this (Crest and I have different logic, so it's hard):
  • If Suspiria wanted to frame the Conclave, her parents wouldn't still be alive
  • Suspiria wouldn't frame herself, she would have to be (more) insane for that
  • Assuming these are her real parents (which is not a given) this basically casts more doubt on her than the Conclave
  • However, she could not simply mind-control them and back this situation rule in her favor. In a court of law, they would not even be "not guilty" (not having done the crime, a judge would find them "innocent" (that is, no crime happened)
  • Suspiria would know this, which is she asks Crest to trust her. This is evidence that something weird is going on. This clears Suspiria by simple virtue that such an accusation is so worthlesss, she would never try this. That said, Crest will go who knows where with this argument.
  • Halcyon could be behind this illusion. However, given that he is a leader of a large group, it makes little sense to murder everyone there, just to fake his own death. He's basically giving up power and fame and leadership for... what exactly? This makes sense only to someone who is insane, or who has no desire to be in the public eye. We don't really get the "quiet farmer" vibe from him, and there are easier ways, like just handing over power to Qtalda. The only other option is that he knew they were corrupt, and planned this to be rid of the lot of them
  • Conclusion 1: Qtalda would only tell Halcyon a truth like this if she felt she had nothing to lose (because she had been, as Crest says, keeping him in the dark). Given this, it is a clear-cut mutiny, and easy to justify motive. The reason then, not to control Suspiria, was that she knew, she would do something like this. She was probably hoping to take out Suspiria as well, and now that she saw Crest helping out, she is trying to manipulate him too.
  • Conclusion 2: A third party planned this to remove powerful opposition. This was designed for Crest's benefit, and he has no idea what really happened. It's possible then Qtalda was right, having seen the event, because the killer didn't realize her body was abnormal and couldn't be destroyed.

Pretty sure this rules out both Halcyon and Suspiria, as they would not act against their own self-interest just to deceive Crest, which in the former case, they didn't know was there and in the second, was willingly putting themselves in harms way to make a baseless accusation.
—Edward D. Morrison

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2016, 04:32:15 am »
Glyph. You're suggesting that Suspira is stronger than Halcyon.  This has yet to be proven. Further, even if Suspira is stronger than Halcyon was, she's far less experienced, and her mentality wasn't exactly stable, considering the sudden, and traumatic, changes she recently went through at the time. Being able to "control" Suspira while failing to be able to control Halcyon is far less of a contradiction than one might think.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 02, 2016, 04:09:50 am »
We don't actually have any proof that she's that much stronger, period.

We have her taking revenge on her old school bullies. Strictly speaking, she probably could have done that already with her genius level power/ability before, she was just too meek.

We have her inventing a reflect golem. That takes skill but not necessarily strength.

We have her failing miserably to break a shield barrier.

And we have the words of Qtalda, who, again has not been shown to be trustworthy telling people they have to team up because she's much stronger. And we have a freak transformation. That's it.

Plus yes, experience wins out against untrained power most days of the week.
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2016, 06:53:16 am »
I notice Crest is being very shrewd in not mentioning the fact he knows someone else was there.. the unidentified 'person' in the shadows of the trees...

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1961

It looks to me as if Crest saw them there...

AND.. I'm STILL NOT BUY No MIND-CONTROL CRAP!

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1969

...these are NOT the ponderings or actions of someone being Mind-controlled! 

'Why would she admit to murder?', Cause she's a prideful arrogant, power-hungry Bitch who controls the conclave and apparently is NOT afraid of Halcyon's 'Alleged' superior power.  Pretty simple actually.. she knows .. or at least thought she knew.. no one could stop her or bring her to justice whom she could not threaten, Eliminate or mind-alter to no longer be a 'issue'!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:11:53 am by sunphoenix »

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 02, 2016, 10:50:20 am »
You and me both. Internal dialogue generally doesn't happen in a mind-controlled  person. By definition, they are not able to think thoughts of their own. Simpler explanation is that Qtalda really IS that bad, and played you too when she came in the room. But that involves admitting that you've been mind controlled. Couldn't do THAT!

Also, the Thin Man is not interested in control. Why? Because he told us.  ;D

But no, he probably isn't. He seems like an anarchist type that likes to overthrow world powers and leave a gap behind.

—Edward D. Morrison

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 02, 2016, 01:50:33 pm »
Well, it's pretty clear that Suspira's memories were altered. First she says this http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1455 and then this http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1511. There's also the question what Suspiria's purpose is altogether. If she is being controlled by the thin man, it's interesting to me how she now wants to kill him. So, I wonder if Melter and perhaps that creepy lady are behind it. Looking back now, it didn't seem like he was "following protocol" when he went asking about Suspiria. Didn't say a word about her when he went back with news of a high-potential recruit..
Excellent stuff so far, looking forward to how this plays out.  :)

Smiles

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Easter is gonna be great!Heard he will Rise Again!
    • View Profile
    • AnimeCentral
    • Email
« Reply #205 on: May 02, 2016, 07:33:58 pm »
"the them"? Brion how late were you up making this page? lol. i like where it's going though. everything pointing to the thin man is interesting. is that like a lead back to maytag idea or are we going to see more Bern before we get back to maytag? either way i get the feeling everyone is going to end up in one place somehow.
Just loving it! :-*
let's sit and chat a while and see if I don't make you smile .;)

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2016, 07:54:27 pm »
For some reason... I get the feeling..Crest.. is being subtly deceptive about something.  Yes, its clear he wanted everyone to follow his line of logic.. but I get the feeling.. he's holding something back.. a significant something.

He's got his own schemes going on inside his head...  not in the sinister "I have you now.."... but in the shrewd gambler kinda way.  He knows or suspects something he's not telling anyone .. at least not outloud... where say a naturally invisible Qtalda sitting quietly in the room can hear...

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 05, 2016, 01:17:53 pm »
Me too. Like he's going to lead them into being all gung ho about going after Thin Man's stooge, and then be like, "Oh btw, the person I saw was Moby."
—Edward D. Morrison

Furcas

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 05, 2016, 04:44:22 pm »
Good going, Brion. Stuff like this is why I keep reading Flipside after all these years.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2016, 06:12:09 am »
Crest being the leader of the mission? That's a tall order. Crest really doesn't have much experience being in charge. He has made some good calls before true, but actually being in control and responsible for the outcome? Not so much.