Author Topic: Art help  (Read 5089 times)

Lozkas

• Tender Young Virgin
  • My personal opinion is what matters to ME!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Art help
« on: July 14, 2011, 03:12:48 am »
I can't draw people. How the hell do you do it? I hateany one who can do it better true me!Helphelpkelp
You better drop me something good, 'cause I'm gonna beat you like a pinata!

Japaka

• Erotic
  • Beard, Blood, Booze and Thunder!
    • View Profile
Re: Art help
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 09:02:16 am »
What exactly do you mean? The face, the body, the proportions?

Basically, good drawings only come from practice, and each person has his/her own style, so maybe you think your drawings are bad, but it's actually different, not bad. I thought my drawings suck, but then compared to other people, and talked about it, and in the end i accepted my drawings as "my style". It's rough, looks little blocky, but hey, you can tell if that's a person or a tree. I still don't like them, but what am i gonna do? Practice and more practice.

If you want you can get some guides, like the face division, that let's you put the eyes/mouth/nose proportionally correct, by spliting the face in 3 horizontal parts, and 1 time vertically. Other things like body proportion, like the face/palm (no pun intended) proportion. Then the easiest way to do bodies is looking at yourself in a mirror, what better example than yourself to see proportions? Like: arms go pass the hips, legs and arms are almost the same lenght, i think the torso is 2 heads, etc.

Drawing body parts as "bubbles", to make a puppet-looking person first, and then drawing on top and erasing the "puppet", is a very good way of drawing different poses and articulations.

But, even with all that, and more, it's just plain practice. Want to draw people better? Just draw people, again and again. Try making them different, changing faces, positions, height, weight, etc.

Practice makes perfect!  ;D
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice. Then sit back and let the world wonder how the f**k you did it.

Jety Lefr

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Close the world, Open the next. -Lain
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:11:02 am »
practice VERY important, but you also need to be able to find and develop your own artistic style.
Style is made form hand shape, finger length, visual preference, and a lot of other things. Left handed-right handed. Simply drawing and practicing will; help you find out what it is you can do, and knowing what it is you can do vs what you want to do, will help you develop faster as an artist.
practicing is important, but also study.
find an artist you like, and examine their work, or better yet, watch them draw.

the amazing thing is how a slight difference in line position, angle, or curvature makes a style very different. rather than copying an artist you like, use them as a reference to see HOW to find what you can do. copying someone is very difficult to do, so it's easier, and more preferable to make your own style.
"Strive to be better than you've ever been before. Only you can know how much you have, and only you can give yourself more."

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 02:39:55 pm »
Try getting gesture down first.  Everything will look unnatural until you do that.  Try finding the books "Drawn to Life"  Volumes 1 and 2 by Walt Stanchfield. 

He's one of the guys who taught Disney animators how to BE Disney animators.   And all of the concepts he teaches in those books are applicable to other aspects of art.  Don't expect a lot of pictures.  He shows a few good sketches, and then explains what MAKES them good. 

Get the concept down, and then you can spend a lot of time after adding details.

Lozkas

• Tender Young Virgin
  • My personal opinion is what matters to ME!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 03:29:50 pm »
It's drawing someone sitting hunched over resting their arms on their legs, and having the image of them angled from the top-front-left, or at least of some angle that gives a sense of her in thought. Also keeping faces consistent between characters. The female figure is also proving more difficult to draw if I want to make them distinguished from a male.
You better drop me something good, 'cause I'm gonna beat you like a pinata!

Jety Lefr

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Close the world, Open the next. -Lain
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:20:46 am »
have you attempted contour drawing techniques?
it's when you don't look at your drawing and allow for your hand eye coordination to draw fro you. You should look to find when the pencil/pen/whatever is often, but you'd be amazed at how accurate hand eye coordination is!
It doesn't take long to learn how to do it either. I'd never done it before, but in two weeks I was the best in my class.
"Strive to be better than you've ever been before. Only you can know how much you have, and only you can give yourself more."