Author Topic: Chapter 31: Discussion  (Read 48650 times)

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 31: Discussion
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2012, 09:53:13 am »
It makes you wonder what he did there, some kind of control device, bomb, a tracker, or a bug device to listen on their conversations?

At least we all know this won't end pretty.

And really, blushing Crest, he is a bit too girly, maybe he is the girliest character fromlast two pages, I hope he will man up a little and will stop doing that whenever May looks at him :P
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 04:07:08 pm by Kiran »

9_6

« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2012, 02:49:23 am »
I have a feeling that "supposed romance going to shit" will be a very prevalent theme very soon.
Got 3 of those now, none look all too bright.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2012, 07:38:01 am »
It makes you wonder what he did there, some kind of control device, bomb, a tracker, or a bug device to listen on their conversations?

And really, blushing Crest, he is a bit too girly, maybe he is the girliest character fromlast two pages, I hope he will man up a little and will stop doing that whenever May looks at him :P

Probably all of the above.

As for Crest, he's young, innocent, and STILL not used to pretty girls actually being nice to him.

Guy like that gets looks from someone whose name equates with "SEXY" is going to blush.

dg86

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2012, 05:05:27 pm »
Replacement Kin incoming soon?

9_6

« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2012, 10:31:51 pm »
Ah she sure would like herself a crest the way things are going. For dinner.

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2012, 07:30:17 am »

It's got to be a bit more than that, as Suspiria is lying about the scar.  Maybe Crest will get to use that Genki Dama sooner than we imagined.  Hopefully, Master White Bread has him prepared.

Lord Stone

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2012, 12:18:01 pm »
First time poster, long time reader... decided to make an account because this is really interesting and for a change I want to contemplate on the situation in the open for a bit.

It doesn't feel like Suspiria is lying about her scar at the moment... and that worries me. If her only purpose were to downplay any significance she would just be dismissive about it (it's just a scar, probably just didn't notice when I got it). The last thing she would do is pretend right in front of Crest as if she always had it while last time we saw her she told him she never had a scar.

And she doesn't want to go to the bathhouse. I don't think it is out of shyness to be honest (I think her reaction would have been different then), nor out of time constraint or anything. She says she cannot bring Crest to a bathhouse, but when Maytag calls her out on that (I'm sure he wouldn't mind) she has no counter-argument, not even a little, and dismisses the topic entirely.

I think there are more scars...

Problem I am having right now is that my two theories don't go together. If some mental effect is downplaying the importance of the scars in her mind, possibly by altering her memories, then she would have no real reason for hiding another scar from Crest. Unless there are already so many that it is somewhat of a vanity thing that is.

One thing is for sure though... while there is something to be said about not wanting to worry others, I don't think it is natural for Suspiria to downplay this strange scar this much even in front of Crest and Maytag.

9_6

« Reply #157 on: April 20, 2012, 01:00:31 am »
They're bloody mary scars.
Surely, there are also mental effects in motion =P

That or she just represses the fact she has them.

Ardanis

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2012, 11:11:37 am »
I think there are more scars...

Problem I am having right now is that my two theories don't go together. If some mental effect is downplaying the importance of the scars in her mind, possibly by altering her memories, then she would have no real reason for hiding another scar from Crest. Unless there are already so many that it is somewhat of a vanity thing that is.
She didn't seem to have any when she asked Crest to keep her company that night. It must be something else.

Yeti

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 21, 2012, 11:44:59 am »
And she doesn't want to go to the bathhouse. I don't think it is out of shyness to be honest (I think her reaction would have been different then), nor out of time constraint or anything. She says she cannot bring Crest to a bathhouse, but when Maytag calls her out on that (I'm sure he wouldn't mind) she has no counter-argument, not even a little, and dismisses the topic entirely.

I had gotten the impression her excuse there was that whilst Crest might not have any problem with the bathhouse with the three of them, she has a problem with Crest being there.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 30, 2012, 07:11:14 am »

I had gotten the impression her excuse there was that whilst Crest might not have any problem with the bathhouse with the three of them, she has a problem with Crest being there.

Well, her jealousy IS infamous. When Maytag was "modeling" for Kin, and Suspira asked about a threesome, Kin reminded her that she got so jealous that the other partner left screaming, shaved bald and magically painted blue.

It's not so much Crest being there, as Crest being present in front of other nude women that is causing Suspira problems.

Lord Stone

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2012, 03:18:35 am »
She didn't seem to have any when she asked Crest to keep her company that night. It must be something else.
She didn't have the scar on her forehead before either though, despite the fact that she insists otherwise now. We do not know when the scar actually appeared, but I am guessing it is rather recent and not an actual direct result of whatever was done with her. Keep in mind that overnight she also went from saying she never had a scar there to saying it has always been there.

Well, her jealousy IS infamous. When Maytag was "modeling" for Kin, and Suspira asked about a threesome, Kin reminded her that she got so jealous that the other partner left screaming, shaved bald and magically painted blue.

It's not so much Crest being there, as Crest being present in front of other nude women that is causing Suspira problems.
While there is something to be said for her jealousy, there is also something to be said for her rashness. Keep in mind that she did come with the idea for the threesome herself and probably would have gone through with it if not for Maytag's rejection and/or Kin's intervention. She also didn't mind Kin drawing Maytag nude, this too was her own idea. Her jealousy seems not to be a thing that inhibits her outgoingness... rather it tends to lead to disastrous conflicts afterwards.

Though she has been undergoing some big changes lately. She has been rather timid after Kin's death, compared to her outgoing personality when we first met her. This is of course understandable.

Yet I have a feeling her rejection to go to the bathhouse is not unrelated to her condition.

For now though we're following Bern. Less mystery in this part of the story, but I wonder what this conversation will bring. It seems her father is not quite the lowlife he seemed to be at first now that he is sober. Maybe he made some bad judgements in the past. He could have returned to the knights with the news about the swords being reproducible and the associated cost. He may not have had the swords, but at least it's a result. And the knights would probably have been able to find investors or even invest in it themselves. But pride is a tricky vice and I do have to agree that it is not very hard to grow bitter with the knights...

parameciumkid

• Kinky
  • http://helia.heliohost.org
    • AOL Instant Messenger - parameciumkid
    • View Profile
    • Helia - The Girl in the Yellow Dress
« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2012, 09:21:40 am »
BRION Y U NO POST COMIC :'(
Hi.
I've been out for two years, so warn me if I act like I missed something obvious. ^^;

...oh, and to anyone who missed me, I'm open to hugs, kisses, and intense tearful cuddles.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: May 02, 2012, 12:42:00 pm »
Sorry, things were really busy after Anime Central.  I'll post a make-up page tommorow, which will not count as the extra page.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 04, 2012, 04:19:54 am »
Looking at previous pages, just poor Bern...

Her philosophy, fighting style, idealistic father figure got literally destroyed completely in this chapter, plus now also the father looks to be dead sick...

And she needs to find that sword too and try to learn an adult fighting style.

She never gets a brake :P

I like the father backstory, not full jerk figure as he looked at start but rather just a broken realistic pessimist who just tried to deal with his current life in a way he can cope.

Lord Stone

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2012, 04:59:20 am »
I kinda felt this response coming from the moment Bern mentioned the Split Rose. Of course, this was hinted at earlier by another character, but that was not within earshot of Bern.

It makes one wonder though... if the style is so ineffective, then how was Bern able to dominate several rather powerful fighters with it? From what we have seen so far, the Split Rose is a very effective fighting style, so what her father is saying right now contradicts our story so far in a way.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2012, 07:06:36 am »
Maybe it happened like that cause everyone is using "adult" more agessive style of fightning totally forgetting about defensive basics which Bern simply mastered as Split Rose into her own style?

I kinda would want to see Bern fightining her father with her current style to see the result.

It's still a bit silly that Bern style is considered childish while all other knights couldn't deal with that guy in beginning chapters where Bern defeated him in instant.

Bern at most is using her opponents attacks in her own favour which is all what self-defense is about, her strenght is to provoke enemies into attacking her(like she did with Mary), while her style vs opponents who don't attack her in blind rage is much less effective where she has to impovise outside of her comfort zone.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:08:28 am by Kiran »

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2012, 05:47:11 am »
I kinda felt this response coming from the moment Bern mentioned the Split Rose. Of course, this was hinted at earlier by another character, but that was not within earshot of Bern.

It makes one wonder though... if the style is so ineffective, then how was Bern able to dominate several rather powerful fighters with it? From what we have seen so far, the Split Rose is a very effective fighting style, so what her father is saying right now contradicts our story so far in a way.

Her style didn't work very well when she was assaulted in that bar by the misogynistic knight.

It ALSO doesn't work very well when she's attacked by someone who isn't charging at her like a drunken rhino, overconfident to the extreme, or against someone who uses magic.

When going against a sorcerer, you need to take the initiative, or have your will up to date.

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2012, 02:39:10 pm »
Yay Captain Beefheart, I mean Beefsides!   :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :

We the fans demand more of Captain Beefsides, including drawings of Captain Beefsides standing astride piles of corpses with a nude and supple Maytag clutching his manly manly leg!

kahoshi

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2012, 03:15:57 pm »
Apparently no one in this world has developed an equivalent of Akido.

The aggressor does not, in fact, always have the advantage.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2012, 11:32:54 pm »
Aikido is a martial art, though.  That's a little different.

Jongarakun

• Collared Pet
  • Woah, momma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2012, 03:59:08 pm »
It's kinda depressing that Bern's dad has the same sort of outlook on life that I do. u__u

As a side note, I love their conversation about the Split Rose so far. Bern's reactions are making it, haha.

Also... I know he's a parody character, but...

Beefitz Dezorga is hot. I want a comic about him.

*huff huff*

kahoshi

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2012, 10:08:04 pm »
Split Rose is a martial art as well. Martial means military, any type of military technique quantified into a form (such as a sword technique) is by definition a martial art. Unarmed and armed are different in execution and in terms of reach and what kind of damage can be done. The underlying principles of combat do not change.

Flipthecannon

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2012, 10:31:54 am »
Sir drunk knight: Hold on let me just get all your hopes and dreams.  Ah there we go *tramples them*  Hmmm let's see *pours gasoline and burns whatever's left*

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2012, 12:34:39 pm »
I wonder how much Bern's father's behavior is due to the alcohol, and how much is due to true disillusionment.  I'm looking forward to learn more of his backstory now, and am bummed that Bern has to see her father like this after being away from him so long.  I'm also looking forward to finally knowing what's going on with Suspiria, since she's still acting strange (especially about the scar on her forehead).  Overall, the story has been excellent recently.  Great job, Brion!

Flipthecannon

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2012, 10:40:05 pm »
Depending on how long he was out. He could just be hungover...really badly hung over...which wouldn't really help his attitude anyways...if anything it makes him crankier while the headache keeps him from thinking clearly.

ErickB

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 31: Discussion - Sword fighting
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2012, 06:51:05 pm »
I have to agree with kahoshi.  Martial arts is martial arts, whether it is hand to hand or with a weapon.  I know you are basing part of this arc around Bernadette's fighting style, but her father's words in the first panel of chapter 30, page 30 are just wrong.  Several prominent fighting styles have developed with a primary defensive stance(not footwork stance but mindset).  Also, in sword combat often the attacker is placing themselves in a vulnerable position to make an attack and the defender can have a distinct advantage on the counter-attack. 

Regardless of all that.  I have been reading the comic for several years now and actually have a couple of the books in print.  So please keep up the good work and I'll be waiting to see where this arc leads.

ps. the above is not opinion but fact based on years of martial arts and historic sword work

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2012, 10:30:48 pm »
Well, there's also the possibility that Grant was just wrong.  Afterall he's just stating his opinion.

kahoshi

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2012, 12:01:31 am »
Well, there's also the possibility that Grant was just wrong.  Afterall he's just stating his opinion.

I never said there wasn't  ;)

In fact that's more what I assumed, and fully expected Bern to prove him wrong by kicking ass. I miss her handing out good ass kickings.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2012, 04:59:01 am »
I think the greater significance of Grant's statement is that Bern thought he was seriously teaching/training her and has built much of her life, views and dreams around Grant's lessons.  But Grant has just informed her that it was only a game as far as he was concerned and he did not intend for her to take the lessons seriously into adult-hood.  Quite possibly, he even held the same views against female knights at the time but Bern believed he seriously gave her the hope and goal to overcome that and one-day join the knights.

I always thought that Grant was supposed to have the same streak of white hair which is why Orransong spoke of the resemblance between the two here: http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=394

AHHH! Now I recall, it was a response from Brion to a question I made about it.  guess he's changed his mind since *shrug*.  There still seems to be a certain level of resemblance in build and hair structure.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!