Author Topic: Chapter 31: Discussion  (Read 48645 times)

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 31: Discussion
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2012, 11:06:36 am »
Oh god, this so fits the chapter name...

So Bern father became a dirty drinking hobo?

Totally anticlimax.

No.  Bern's father is the KING of dirty drinking hobos.  It's Frank Zappa!

Flipthecannon

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2012, 01:20:06 pm »
I'll admit I didn't see this coming.

Abstract Vagabond

« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2012, 12:48:00 am »
Oh god, this so fits the chapter name...

So Bern father became a dirty drinking hobo?

Totally anticlimax.

No.  Bern's father is the KING of dirty drinking hobos.  It's Frank Zappa!

I went a step further and thought of him as Frank Zappa in The Beatles' Yellow Submarine cartoon.

Flipthecannon

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2012, 01:12:10 pm »
  I would have to think Bern's look is pretty recognizable with a bunch of red hair and as Blackbird would say a "Snow patch" but it almost looks like her father has her mistaken with someone else.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2012, 11:59:05 pm »
Seems so, or he is so drunk he doesn't know what is he saying anymore...

Saying to your own daughter "Make yourself at home, babe" is rather insulting, and if I knew no better maybe he thinks Bern is a prostitute he ordered...

If she looks like her mother, and maybe the guy has some drink trauma about her and is ordering girls looking like her to use from time to time would explaing quite a bit.

Bern should be rather glad she didn't get May to see this, I got the feeling that Polly will be the one this time who will comfort Bern after this first encounter with the father.

parameciumkid

• Kinky
  • http://helia.heliohost.org
    • AOL Instant Messenger - parameciumkid
    • View Profile
    • Helia - The Girl in the Yellow Dress
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2012, 08:31:46 am »
Bern: You... You know who I am?
Dad: Wut? No, I just think you're hot. Wanna get wasted and do it on the floor?
^ What I was thinking happens next :P
Hi.
I've been out for two years, so warn me if I act like I missed something obvious. ^^;

...oh, and to anyone who missed me, I'm open to hugs, kisses, and intense tearful cuddles.

dg86

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2012, 08:16:15 pm »
Poor Bern never ever seems to catch a break in this comic, does she?  Basically anytime something bad happens, she's not far away from it.

Sheesh.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2012, 11:41:36 pm »
So my assumption that he would think Bern is some prostitute is true?

Hearing all that from her own father, who even doesn't recognise you in his kinda drunken state, damn, indeed, Bern happiness in the comic is a lacking thing.

parameciumkid

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2012, 06:03:51 am »
AWWW, he actually does think she's a prostitute! :sadface:
P.S. He can't be a hobo because he owns a house. Only homeless people can be hobos. ;P
Hi.
I've been out for two years, so warn me if I act like I missed something obvious. ^^;

...oh, and to anyone who missed me, I'm open to hugs, kisses, and intense tearful cuddles.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2012, 09:09:17 am »
AWWW, he actually does think she's a prostitute! :sadface:
P.S. He can't be a hobo because he owns a house. Only homeless people can be hobos. ;P

Unless that's not really "his" house and he's just squatting there. Hobos squat.

Oh man, this is probably going to get real messy, real quick.

Yeah, May can't see it, but she can sure hear it, and she does not like what she hears.

Flipthecannon

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2012, 11:53:22 am »
It's probably that he thinks she's a prostitute but what are the chances that Alver is actually his landlord or something and he thinks he sent her to collect rent?  It's unlikely but if he caught a glimpse of her having a sword or something he may have thought that...the hitting on her could be a drunken ploy to get her to forget about collecting on the rent which he probably doesn't have in this scenario.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2012, 06:58:38 am »
Nope, just a guy disillusioned with life losing himself in the bottle and the whore of the day.

Flipthecannon

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2012, 01:25:53 pm »
Memory wiped?  Or something else?

ducky_worshiper

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2012, 03:24:43 pm »
Memory wiped?  Or something else?

Well, to be totally fair, we can't 100% guarantee that this guy is Grant Lashoar.  We also don't know for sure that Grant is Bernadette's father.  All she's going on is the statement of a guy who claims he used to know Grant.  It's also totally possible that her father got her mother pregnant and the mother didn't tell him.  He might know who Bernadette is but not realize he's her father.

dg86

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2012, 07:51:02 pm »
Wasn't Bernadette raised in a brothel?  Could it be that she was simply the result of a one-night stand, and her mother remembered that certain client, but not vice versa?

In any case, it seems misery enjoys company.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2012, 05:44:29 am »
Well, his surprise certainly sounds genuine.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2012, 02:27:06 am »
I hope the guy won't say something in style "I like them young! And I wanted to do you in time so I visited" or something like that :o

But really the guy seems to be surprised too, so maybe Bern's mother didn't tell him, and she told to Bern she had a great knight father while in reality he was just a failure who knocked a girl up by accident...
Would strip some delusions, not Grant the Geat Knight, but Grant the Nobody.

But then again that old knight seemed to know him, and his fighting style to suggest Bern to go after him for second sword...
A farce for Bern to learn the truth?
We see in cover that the guy uses one sword, not two.

parameciumkid

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2012, 08:33:56 am »
Well obviously he's using the other sword, since Bern has one of the two in the set.
Hi.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2012, 05:49:22 am »
But the cover looks for me like flashback of this guy's younger days, not current time, so he should be using two.

Edit:
Seeing the update, well the simpliest explenations seems to work the best than trying to find some crazy theories 8)
So the guy thought that in fire the mother and also little Bern lost their lives, so no wonder he gone from there, and become a drunk...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:36:20 pm by Kiran »

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2012, 12:35:16 pm »
Dawwwww, this is such a touching moment...maybe...  ???

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2012, 06:24:53 am »
Wow. Just. Wow. This explains so much.

dg86

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2012, 03:17:27 pm »
So, which kind of knight is our Frank Zappa doppelganger?  Failure knight, or knight in sour armor?  Maybe he quit because he didn't approve of how the knights did things by being so uptight?  But it seems things went downhill with him from then on...some sort of disenchantment with...everything?

If that's the case, his backstory seems somewhat similar to Sol Badguy's from Guilty Gear.  Unfortunately, he's nowhere near as badass.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2012, 05:34:11 am »
Can't really blame his assessment. Every knight we've met has been seriously lacking in one respect or another while flaunting his self-proclaimed superiority over everyone.

The rest of the story should be good. Can Melter track portals? Because if not, he/she is going to be waiting a long time at the mage city.

ducky_worshiper

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2012, 12:03:43 pm »
Can Melter track portals? Because if not, he/she is going to be waiting a long time at the mage city.

I thought it was only an hour?

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2012, 01:56:42 am »
So will Bern now change her class from 'knight' into something else?
So we will get flashbacks of this guy's past as a knight?

I hope that May will meet Polly too in this chapter.

Flipthecannon

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2012, 09:24:42 pm »
But the cover looks for me like flashback of this guy's younger days, not current time, so he should be using two.

Edit:
Seeing the update, well the simpliest explenations seems to work the best than trying to find some crazy theories 8)
So the guy thought that in fire the mother and also little Bern lost their lives, so no wonder he gone from there, and become a drunk...

Well he taught Bern a style that requires two swords so it's safe to assume that he himself is at least familiar with fighting with two swords.

Cricket

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2012, 08:01:49 am »
The transition from page 7 to page 8 seems very abrupt! One moment she's hugging her father teary-eyed, the next a portal has suddenly opened and Bernadette is all the way across the room, helping Maytag through it. Did I miss something? We don't even see her dad reacting to the confirmation that he's her father. I mean, not that every single moment needs to be shown, but it really seems like an entire page is missing. Did this confuse anyone else?

parameciumkid

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2012, 07:58:19 pm »
GRAMMATICAL ERROR! Bernadette mentions that she has one of the two swords and Orransong told her her dad would have "it's counterpart" when it should be spelled "its counterpart".
Hi.

Flipthecannon

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2012, 05:13:16 am »
  Wouldn't surprise me if he really did lose it but it would surprise me less if he had at some point thrown the sword in a ravine with disgust...or if he has it and just doesn't want Bern to follow in his bad footsteps.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2012, 11:42:13 am »
I rather think he simply sold it to some pawnbroker for cash for booze and the girls and maybe he seems to be a bit ashamed about it :D
Maybe Polly will help Ben here since she knows this land much better in current times than them.