Author Topic: Tainted Lucre (Sci Fi RPT)  (Read 20383 times)

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
Re: Tainted Lucre (Sci Fi RPT)
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2011, 05:04:14 am »
"Ok in that case see if the Harland and Wolfe dock is still going on Norsca.  An old ship mate of mine called Rosyth should still be there and owes me a few favours.  He was the dockside foreman last I heard so could be dock manager by now. If he gives you any static just say Amethyst Merchant  he know's what it means and don't try to find out either you won't find it on any shipping list."
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2011, 06:51:05 am »
3 Days Later

The ship was ready to depart, only one more item was waiting to be loaded. The governor's technical consultant called that he was coming aboard, a day after his gear had already been stowed appropriately on board.

The man was bulky, looking more like a weightlifter than an engineer. "I am Armond Gantz, please direct me to the forward central engineering bay." He announced. Attached to his wrists and hands were two large and seemingly heavy briefcases. Under gravity they seemed to have their own powered wheels. Moving about in null G was not an easy task for him.
R.E.C.R.: There is no way you can defeat the superior power of my massive 56 kilobyte processor!

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2011, 08:46:13 am »
Aleov had been guarding the entrance to the ship. When he saw the monster of a man clumsily navigate his way forward he could not help but laugh. After the man had introduced himself he slung his sub-machine gun and pulled the sling tight.

"Smith." he said, holding out a hand. "You would like to talk to Gant and Mari. They are the nutheads here." He grabbed a pipe next to the door and swung around, punching in the code to unlock it. "Right this way." He turned his head and smiled when he saw what looked like a mule had suddenly been dropped out of a plane. The mans arms were flailing trying to control the baggage and propelling himself in the right direction. "You know, I could fix up some thrusters for ya there. No guarantees on them not exploding though. I think I have some old AT rockets around." He laughed at his own joke and shook his head. Gant would love this guy!

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2011, 10:21:21 am »
Ahzek had first made sure all the medical supplies and tools were sorted, stored and secured the way HE wanted it, and he had come to wonder exactly how the captain had obtained and apparently got rid of his predecessor, the latter something he held to the captain's positive credits.
Once that was done, only hours remained until launch and he decided to take a look at the newly aqquired cargo pods for conversion into passenger compartments would need to be converted from a medical viewpoint and made his way towards the long access tube anchoring the cargo pods and leading to the engines and reactor.

Torgal had spent quite some time thinking about what to make of what had happened down below. He was concerned for Mari, Raize seemed to mean well but obviously had an upbringing among mentors way too brutal and thoughtless to do even a decent job. He would have to talk to him one on one as soon as opportunity arose. He didn't want to do it in front of Mari though, that would be counter-productive, maybe even dangerous, no, if he were to get his meaning accross to Raize, he had to treat the man with respect and that meant not risking his face by giving unbidden advice in public on matters concerning his authority over his proteg?, sister or girlfriend or otherwise. After all, he wasn't sure exactly what kind of relationship there was between the two, only that Raize was overly protective to the point of abusive, an that Mari was too scared out of her wits to draw the right conclusions from what Raize tried to convey.
Then there was the kid, he knew he called himself Frazer, but to Torgal, he would always be 'the Kid'. He saw some of his own youth in that kid, only he had been caught and stopped by his team mates before he made himself miserable. Back in that day, the penalty for desertion was usually a severe lashing in the regimental courtyard or on the training decks and then a few weeks in the lockup unless the brass had wanted to make an example. Either way, a deserter never lived long if caught, his mates wouldn't trust him anymore and he'd always be put up for the most dangerous tasks, usually, that would snuff one out within a year. If not from enemy fire or accidents, the shere lonelyness would be breaking you to the point where you ate your own gun.
He had seen that happen more than once aswell.
Torgal had made up his mind, he would definitely see this kid through. The best way to start, he reckoned, would be to teach the kid all the dirty tricks that weren't in the book, and due to the nature of their mission, he would start with zero-g combat and boarding a potentially hostile vessel.
Thinking about boarding actions, he got a notion, and floated off to the nearest terminal with planetside internet access. Time to look up what really happened that day he was written off as KIA.

The headline of the archived news bulletin made him realize just how lucky he and Ahzek had been. The ship they had boarded was similiar in layout to the Lucre, but about six times the size, according to the shipping manifest transmitted to them, the ship should have been carrying grain from the sol system to boost one of it's not yet failing outlying colonies. However, according to the article, military intelligence had revealed that somewhere along the way, the ship had deviated from it's planned route, and apparently, the cargo had been changed. When the Glorious Terra had flagged it down for a routine check and her boarding parties had started to get too close to the truth, the captain of the bulk hauler had detonated his new cargo, twenty million tons of ammonium nitrate explosives, crippling the immense warship at anchor only fifty kilometers away and hurling the aft section where Ahzek and Torgal had been standing in a perpendicular direction away from the blast, a few empty cargo pods in front of them absorbing the lethal blast and directing it to a ring around the 'waist' of the bulk carrier.  The latter info had to be gleaned between the lines from the fact that he was sitting here reading about his own supposed demise.

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2011, 01:51:32 pm »
When Armond arrived at the engineering bay he went to an unused section of it near a main power line and set his cases to what was the floor when the ship was under acceleration. A loud screeching was heard as the cases drilled into the floor and anchored themselves into place. Mr Gantz then spoke a random 15 word code phrase before the cases unlocked from his hands. He then turned to his audience.

"One of these devices is a five megaton nuclear warhead designed to detonate if any of the following conditions are met. First if anyone attempts to tamper with the device itself OR to cut away the structure it is attached to. Second if a code is not activated within every twenty days. During the trip I will be kept asleep for a period of fifteen days. When I am awoken I will put the next code in to prevent detonation. At one code per fifteen days I have enough codes to prevent detonation for two years.
"Now, please show me to my room."
R.E.C.R.: There is no way you can defeat the superior power of my massive 56 kilobyte processor!

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2011, 05:03:06 pm »
Frazer had found a unused bunk in the For'ard section and got his gear stowed away as best as he could. Due to his indoctrination in the 4th Conscript Battalion he took out his gun oil, rag and pull through chord and started to field strip his rifle to clean it.  It had a strange calming effect on him and it helped him to think.  Frazer thought back on the past few days since joining this crew, he had got slightly better treatment than in the Battalion meaning he had been fed decent grub, got a bunk to sleep on and got some acknowledgement that he existed instead of being treated like Cannon Fodder.  So for he had been mainly left alone and slept. Most of the crew looked like they too busy getting ready to move out rather than speak to him, so Frazer had stayed put curled up on the bunk alone with his thoughts until some one came from him and he had a feeling it would be that Sergeant.   

Gant on one of his rare outings from behind the rear bulkhead door leading to the Propulsion Room glowered at Armond,

"And what Mech Rating would you hold Mr Gantz or are you another stuck up Sparky? So you've told us you are carrying a 5 megaton bomb in one of your cases and what's in the other? Your dirty laundry? Sorry to tell you but the on board Chinese Laundry is out of order."

(OCC: Gant has a real problem about other engineers being near "his" machinery but has accepted Mari)

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2011, 05:20:51 pm »
"The only rating you need to concern yourself with is my security rating in this system's government. To put your mind at ease about my other qualifications though I am extensively trained in large scale zero gravity engineering, structural. If there is a failure in the laundromat or the plumbing that is strictly your concern to remedy."

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2011, 05:42:45 pm »
Looking at Stephen who was standing beside him , Gant said,

"Thought so, He's a Sparky. They have the part of the brain that controls your sense of humour taken out on the first day of tuition. Plus all they are concerned about is their black boxes."

The last part said while staring at the two cases that now cluttered up part of Gants engineering space,

"If you would so kindly stay there Mr Gantz I'll get you a scoop and brush to clean up the mess your cases made we have to cut down on F.O.D around here. I like to keep my areas clean even the unused ones."

(OCC: this is a challenge to see if Gantz knows what F.O.D means. it stands for Foreign Object Damage)

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2011, 05:47:05 pm »
"Attempting to remove the cases will cause the bomb to detonate. I recommend that you do not, they are placed in a position where they will not interfere with your work unduly."

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2011, 05:55:08 pm »
"Aye make sure that they don't! if there is nothing else Captain may I be dismissed? I need Mari's help to run more diagnostics on those fan blades we've installed and would like to get it done before we have to leave this dock."
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 04:54:41 am by Oddball »

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2011, 10:27:22 pm »
His mind made up, Torgal first called up the captain on the intercom.
"Skipper, can I have use of one of the cargo pods under conversion to train the away crew in zero-g c.q. combat and boarding a potentially hostile vessel? Blanks and blunts only of course."

After getting approval, Torgal called up the other members of the away team, asking them to meet him in the mess hall three hours later.
With that done, he made his way to the kid's cabin.
Knocking on the door,
"You there kid? Time to get to know the ropes around here"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 12:48:39 pm by Emp_Dragon »

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2011, 05:00:18 pm »
Frazer heard the banging and a muffled voice at the door but all he did was curl up in a ball with his back to the door, pull the hood of his old uniform smock over his head and hoped that who ever it was at the door would go away, but Frazer knew it was the "Sarge".  Frazer wanted to go but he also just wanted to stay where he was for the time being.  His time with the Conscript Battalion had been hard, both mentally and physically, so all he did was just lay there ignoring the sounds coming from the other side of the door.   

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2011, 10:50:35 pm »
"Frazer, if you don't feel up to it now, it's ok, there are no ranks here, and I won't make you do anything, but you can't stay in there forever, and you have to show some use or the captain will throw you off the ship at the next dock"

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2011, 04:49:18 am »
Frazer sighed,

"Can you give me a few minutes? Just tell me where to find you and I'll be there."

Gant was lost in thought instead of going back to the troublesome booster he went over to his work bench. Took out a scrap of paper, a stub of graphite and did a rough sketch of what he had seen.  Looked at it for a few minutes and added what systems was above and below. In one case was a five Megaton bomb and well placed since it could take out the entire ship this was marked with an X the other with a question mark. His knowledge of explosives was weak, maybe ask Torgal for his thoughts on the blast radius.  But what was in the other case? Was it possible to have a look inside both cases and attempt to disarm the device?  Even though Gant was not trained in Explosive Ordnance Disposal he did not like having his area invaded like this.  Both cases must have dampers  to prevent them being triggered by vibrations and also be rigged with a motion sensor for he all ready knew that it was installed with a voice recognition switch when "Sparky", as now called Gantz, spoke to it.  Reaching under for a opened bottle of Whisky Gant knew this would take awhile to think this through and it would depend on getting the Captain's permission to make an attempt since it would endanger the ship and all those on board.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:29:36 am by Oddball »

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2011, 11:39:36 am »
"Sure, in three hours, I've called a meeting with everyone in the away team in the mess hall, but if you don't mind I thought I could show you a few things I learned the hard way first. Anyway, until the meeting I'll be in the right hand cargo pod marked for conversion. If you do come, bring your gun, your blade, your wits and your battle kit."

Seeing that the most of the conversion work needed consisted of installing a climate controlled insulated inner compartment divided in smaller compartments depending on what kind of passenger accomodation the captain intended.
For high comfort wake passengers, each pod could be divided in up to eight cabins for one to two passengers each. For comatose passengers fed via liquid nutrient drip however, the temperature in the compartments could be significantly lower, and each pod could be converted to hold up to a hundred passengers in stacked individual horizontal pods. Each with it's own connection to a computer controlled monitoring terminal also controlling the distribution of nutrients and sedatives.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2011, 10:37:37 am »
Frazer threw off his smock, rolled over ,put on his boots and slowly stood up.  Walking over to his Bergen he unclipped his helmet from the side straps, slung on his assault vest, grabbed his rifle made sure it was unloaded and headed out the door.  Frazer found Torgal in the cargo pod, and rather sheepishly said,

"This is all I got issued with never got a combat knife."

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2011, 11:17:53 am »
"We are clear to undock captain." Stephen called across the bridge. With a tiny puff of gas from the maneuvering thrusters the Lucre pulled away from the station. Half an hour away the ship was far enough from the station that the main engines could be turned on. The giant radiators unfolded and began to glow as the fusion plant went from idle to powered.

"Stand by for gravity!" The captain announced over the intercom. Five minutes later the ship began to roll to produce the normal 5 ms^s, about half a standard gravity which was enough to operate normally without causing any sort of motion sickness a faster rotation would create.

It was an hour later that everything was aligned and the ship was at it's proper point in orbit. The main engines fired up. It would be five days until the ship built up enough speed to activate linear drive and in that time it might be vulnerable to attack so all scanners were constantly watched and the ship's weapons were readied.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2011, 12:26:19 pm »
"Ok, we'll remedy that when opportunity comes, why don't we start with you showing what you already know so I can see what to build on and what has to change for you to work as an individual rather than a cog among others."

(ooc: I don't think posting more of their first session is nessessary, do you, Odd?)

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2011, 01:32:53 pm »
(OCC: Nope so in that case:)

"We are clear to undock captain." Stephen called across the bridge. With a tiny puff of gas from the maneuvering thrusters the Lucre pulled away from the station. Half an hour away the ship was far enough from the station that the main engines could be turned on. The giant radiators unfolded and began to glow as the fusion plant went from idle to powered.

"Stand by for gravity!" The captain announced over the intercom. Five minutes later the ship began to roll to produce the normal 5 ms^s, about half a standard gravity which was enough to operate normally without causing any sort of motion sickness a faster rotation would create.

It was an hour later that everything was aligned and the ship was at it's proper point in orbit. The main engines fired up. It would be five days until the ship built up enough speed to activate linear drive and in that time it might be vulnerable to attack so all scanners were constantly watched and the ship's weapons were readied.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2011, 10:36:30 pm »
On their way forward to the mess, Torgal and the Kid caught up with Raize.
"Raize, I'd like to speak to you one man to another. Kid, you go ahead, we'll be there shortly."

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2011, 01:17:15 am »
Even with having to change direction mid-course the Lucre made good time. The time was productive as well. It was decided that two teams would be made, Captain Veriss chose Gant, Naylor and Torgal to be the first team which would examine the main engineering bay. The second team was to be Lairde, Raize, Tanrak and Gantz. Their job was to examine the inhabited sections of the ship and discover what happened to the stricken vessel.
Everybody drilled hard for both zero and unstable gravity in the lightly armored hardsuits and the pods were modified to be temporary housing.

The computer dropped them within the outer reaches of the system, at the north polar area so the ship could see everything from above and not have to fly the long way past the star if their target was on the other side.

Several hours of patient scanning was rewarded, the Ark craft was easy enough to find. Armond, on the bridge at the time looked at the location with some concern. "It wasn't that far in towards the star last time and it's orbit had been somewhat stable. Once we get closer we should be able to tell whether it was moved or is moving on its own by whether or not the ship has deployed solar panels for energy."

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2011, 01:34:14 am »
Raize nodded and pushed open a hatch leading through into one of the Lucre's storage areas. Stepping through he took a seat on one of the crates near the entrance.

"What's on yer mind Torg?"

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2011, 02:13:37 am »
"Back at the bar  at Haverly's, You said you had trouble getting Mari to understand what you tried to teach her and I think I could provide some advice on how to fix that. After all, I've trained marines for most of my life."

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2011, 02:20:30 am »
"I'm listnin'" Raize said warily,

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2011, 03:24:47 am »
"First thing,when instilling a measure of respect, it's important to not overdo it, because a scared recruit will be too nervous to learn anything. And to me, Mari looks scared like a dog whipped too much.
Other than that, I'm curious to why you treat her like a thing instead of another human being?"

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2011, 03:58:04 am »
"Girl's a Dreg, only way they learn is with t'back of yer hand. 'Sides, bin scared keeps her head down and outta trouble. I didn't go t'all that effort to get her off the Nova an' away from men who'd do 'er harm just so she can fall int' the clutches of another. Best for 'er, best fer both of us she keeps that head of hers hidden.

Now, yer give me yer advice on how to train her t'keep outta trouble, or we're done with this conversation. I like yer Torg, but how I treat the girls my business so keep yer nose out or it might get broke."

((OOC: Dreg would be slang for forced labourers))

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2011, 04:24:49 am »
"Just saying what you said, you aren't on the nova anymore, just like I'm not on the glorious. If you try to take her view, what makes the way you treat her different from how the other pirates treated her?
Just saying that a scared recruit would always do even more stupid things than a purely dumb one.
Basically, if you treated Mari a bit less roughly she'll probably start remembering how to do right by you.
Anyway, what you chose to do with what I've said is up to you. I won't bring it up again and I did it in private because it's nobody else's buisness."

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2011, 04:58:27 am »
"Damn right it's nobody else's business." Raize said standing up and leaving the room.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2011, 06:03:42 am »
Torgal left the room shortly after, a bit disappointed it hadn't turned out better, but on the other hand, he had at least done something, and hoped at least something got through. And as long as Raize kept from outright beating the girl to hurt her he would act as if the conversation never happened.

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2011, 09:03:35 am »
Mari let out a sad whine as the Arc began to loom large on the bridges primary monitor, she was sat on the floor, curled up as usual and half-hidden under one of the consoles. Raize, who was stood right next to her, glanced down.

"What is it girl?"

"So sad," she said quietly, "it's dieing."

Giving her one last puzzled look, Raize turned his attention back to the others on the bridge.

"Well," he said to Armond, "She..."

"He.." Mari muttered from below.

"...He got power? Can we set down in the transport bay or we gonna need t'use the drones t'get in?"

During the flight to the Arc Mari had managed to get four of the ships ERD's up and running, although only three of them had fully functional automation systems, the fourth would have to be controlled manually. All of the tracked ROV's Raize had aquired down on Haverly were also operational.

((OOC: I'm assuming they have a Star Trek style view screen on the bridge - A window would just make people naucious during flight what with the spinning and all))