Author Topic: Tainted Lucre (Sci Fi RPT)  (Read 20431 times)

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tainted Lucre (Sci Fi RPT)
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 06:29:08 pm »
Stephen listened as the captain described the meeting. Everyone was getting back to their jobs, loading was not yet done, but many were taking the rest of the day off to do personal stuff.

"Well Captain. I think we should file a flight path to some inhabited world, spend about a week with the Linear Drive on then turn to this system. There's an Earthforce ship and it'll take note if we go off in a strange direction.
"The manuver will cost us a lot in fuel and about two or three weeks to the trip but it should keep us off some lists as suspected pirates. This system is about at the point where that is the big worry. Good news is that we are traveling light. We can pull 42 hours per light year unless we take on anything bigger than scheduled. Redlining the drive would be a bad idea right now, we're kind of far from anyplace that can repair a Linear Drive." Stephen then changed the subject. "Speaking of drive issues, Engineering has finally found the issue with booster one. He figures he and Mari can fix it if we pull in some temps from the station."
R.E.C.R.: There is no way you can defeat the superior power of my massive 56 kilobyte processor!

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 12:48:15 am »
"Well, if they can fix it, go ahead. The local currency is going down the drain anyhow so we might as well get some good use of it."

Dentsul looked over on the monitor. The loading was going fairly fast considering the gravity. The fuel levels were good and more than enough to do some traveling.

"As for the fuel. Don't worry. We have that covered, and if the stars align we will get more than enough money to compensate for it. Do you think we have all the kit we need to go exploring that thing?"

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 01:12:57 am »
"Mari has been fixing up some of the old repair drones so we have spares to send over to act as scouts, mules or to cut up stuff and haul it back. Normal EVA work suits should do fine against the radiation if that thing is hot.
"The Ark probably can't be flown back but we should conference this call with Gant and see what he thinks. Worst case, we fly a whole crew back from here to cut away the engineering section as well as a few of the Ark's linear drives to fly back. Best case is that the Ark is pregnant. Those things regularly built full sized copies of themselves. If there's an almost complete copy in the engineering bay we can fly that back under it's own power after finishing up any essentials."
R.E.C.R.: There is no way you can defeat the superior power of my massive 56 kilobyte processor!

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 01:28:12 am »
"If the EVAs work properly, then we should use those. Get Gant to confirm that though. He is the one who have used them the most lately. I agree about the drones. There is bound to be areas where we would rather send them in or even do a flyby of the ark. Lots of information we could gather from the outside. We should check on what she needs to get those tincans working. I didn't know the generators were broken? Haven't used them in a while though, so I can imagine they are a bit rusty. We should get a few replacements in case we need to do some welding.

And aren't there explosives designed to cut things? I guess we could give Smith some of that to work with. Would be safer to give him a load of that instead of just C4 and equivilant. At any rate, we will probably need to blow a few hatches so we should get some of that."

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 02:32:01 am »
"I'll head back downside, see what I can be gettin'." Raize said, "Any news on when this engineer of the governer's going t'be puttin' in an appearence?

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 03:33:58 am »
As the party left the conference room, Torgal noticed his collar had slipped down a bit, slightly showing his rank and unit insignia. Covering them up again he recalled the youngster recoiling at the door and tapped the captain on the shoulder.
"Sir, I think I saw a young marine in the doorway, something about his reaction and presence here tells me he's deserted, and if that's true... You ok with me trying to get him to come with us? It could be his only chance to live another year."

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 04:58:54 am »
Frazer quickly got his wits back, turned round and ran as fast as he could for the main door and out into the street.   He tried to look for some where to hole up and hide, from the quick look he had of the Marines sitting in that room he knew that they would not give up looking for him unlike the MPs' that where in his Battalion.  
   Eventually he found a deserted office block littered with papers, smashed glass on the floors and equipment knocked over.  Carefully Frazer walked through the lower floor and got to the lifts and pressed the up button, nothing worked the power must of been knocked out for this section all ready so he made his way towards the stair well and started to climb.  After trying various doors Frazer found the door for the 26th floor open and went through it.  Finding the floor manager's office open Frazer took off his Bergen and sat down wearily onto the torn leather chair dumping the heavy rucksack beside him.  After sleeping for thirty minutes Frazer woke up and felt hungry, opening his Bergen Frazer took out a dehydrated food pack and a water bottle and mixed a little water into the food pack. And then the thought of those Marines finding him made him shiver, for the first time he looked around and saw he was exposed if they ever did manage to track him.

Gant heard the Com Box buzz but left it for a few minutes since he was pressurizing a hydraulic line and it was not a good idea to leave the job half done.  When he got to the Com Box he listened to the discussion,

"Let me think about this Captain, it's been some years since I served aboard an Ark and some modification could of been done to this one over the years. The drones should be able to give us some information if we could get some more sensors hooked up to their internal power packs but we should have some spare external hard point power packs around here some where. Depending on how long the Ark has been derelict for we should be able to get the propulsion units up and running again."
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:39:21 am by Oddball »
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 05:21:03 am »
"Gant, this is Raize, skip the technical crap for a moment, the girl and I are goin' shoppin' t'get gear fer this little jaunt I reckon there's a good three hours 'fore this shithole closes down fer the night. Give me a shoppin' list in the next two hours and I'll make sure it gets t'ya before we're leavin' an' tell that Martian son of a bitch that there'll be an extra shuttle or two on it's way back, I'll fill him in when I know what we can git around here."

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 05:49:17 am »
"Raize, Colblatt here. Be sure to check the station too for what we are going to need. Barely any interplanetary traffic so it might be cheaper to buy and rip apart a local ship than buy several parts piecemeal. Engines, powerplants, might even get a fuel scoop so we won't have to coast the shuttle when we arrive if we have to make a million trips to the derelict."

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 05:50:46 am »
?Ok off the top of my head get at least three flash lights, head mounted if you can, with power cells, some Thermite charges since we might have to blow some hatches on the Ark.  And for our repairs just now two B rated Mechs if not get 4 A ratters and  three ceramic concentric compressor fans but ideally a complete stage one compressor. Also get me some food had my fill of dehy food packs lately Gant out.?

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 10:47:51 am »
"Captain, this is Torgal, I've tracked that kid back to this abandoned office building, I'll meet up with Raize and Marie at the bar in one hour, with or without the kid. Over and Out."

Carefully looking for booby traps, Torgal slowly made his way through the detritus on the bottom floor towards the elevators and staircase, his pistol drawn just in case. The litter making it impossible to move completely silently, he tried the elevator button but all he got was silence, he tried a light switch and could confirm there was no power. The stairs was dimly lit anyhow, probably from a skylight or crystal light conduit somewhere high above.
Turning on the amplifier in his artificial vocalizer, he shouted well louder than anyone unmodified could.

"You up there kid?!"
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:54:54 am by Emp_Dragon »

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 04:40:36 pm »
Hearing the voice Naylor quickly grabbed his weapon and hid behind the large metal desk and made sure he had a full clip loaded, took the safety off and charged the breach.  Naylor picked up the courage to shout back as loud as he could,

?You ain?t taking me back! No friggin? way will I go back to the Battalion I don?t belong there! Besides if you are who I think you are you are meant to be DEAD!  We heard all about you and the boarding of that Craft, it was used as a training aid of how NOT to do it.  But if you come up here and try to take me back to the conscripts I kill you!?

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 08:48:37 pm »
"Captain, forwarding you the proposed bill for the major equipment purchases. I found a pair of sturdy atmosphere capable cargo pods on the market at just above scrap value. It wouldn't take much modifying to make them into portable temporary living areas with airlocks. I'll need a yea or nay on the purchase before I shoot their specs to Gant for an estimate on the conversion. It's another thing we can get done on route, looks like this may be a no sleep trip with the building and training." Stephen was surfing the worlds internet. Raize's personal search would get many of the items needed but some things just had to be ordered online since it would take too long to visit the sellers personally.

Then he emailed Raize's phone with an updated shopping list and links to several items on Raize' list to compare with what he could find or compare prices with.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 09:29:18 pm »
"Almost bought it then, yeah, and if it hadn't been for the trader outfit you saw in that meeting room I would have been a real ugly space mummy!
As far as the govt. knows I'm KIA and I want it to stay that way. You know what they do to deserters! If you stay, you won't survive another year, if you come with us I bet the captain can give you a new identity and a clean slate! Either way I'll be leaving now, you'll catch up with me if you accept. Ship leaves in one and a half local hour, but you'll have to loose the uniform ASAP!"
Having finished his 'lecture' Torgal holstered his sidearm and walking set course for the bar where to meet up with Raize.

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 12:17:12 am »
TIME: 19:26 EUTC

The bar was full but despite this Raize had managed to "claim" one of the table arranged in small booths around the walls of the bar. The tables previous occupants were still in the bar but it hadn't taken much convincing for them to decide to give the table up to Raize and Mari.

A single bench ran around the table, against the walls of the booth and Mari was curled up in one of courners, Raize however sat on one edge, his spike-gun propped up against the bench beside him in easy reach and his eyes scanned the crowed as he drunk. Two half-litre mugs of the local beer sat on the table in front of them, Raizes nearly empty and Mari's barely touched. She disliked the beer and grimiced every time she took a sip, but Raize had bought it for her and he would be angry if she did not drink it.

Raize didnt think much of the local brew either, but beer was beer and in the long run that was all that counted. The shopping trip hadn't gone bad and he'd got most things on the list, including a derilict that could be salvaged for some of the needed equipment. He'd also managed to get a hold of a number of decomisioned ROVs that Mari felt she could get operational again to use as scouts once the Arcs gravity was re-established.

Seeing Torgal walk into the bar Raize stood up and retrieved his spike-gun. Mari started to uncurl ready to follow him but Raize stopped her, "Stay there girl, finish that beer and don't you even think about talkin' t'anyone until I get back, ya understand?"

Mari nodded and curled up again reaching for the beer. Satisfied Raize crossed the bar to Torgal.

"Torg, over here." Raize called out as he got close pushing his way through the bars patrons to some cursing, "Glad yer made it, I'm buyin', what you having? The local beer tastes like they brewed it from that swamp outside the hotel where we met our new patron, but it's got a nice kick to it. You find that kid yer were huntin'?"

When he reached Torgal he steered him towards the bar to get more drink.

((OOC: I'll relocate the last few paragraphs to a later post if you want some action before getting to the bar Emp/Odd - But leave Mari alone at the table for the next post please...))

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2011, 12:31:57 am »
Stephen was video conferencing with Gant, reviewing the footage of the Ark taken by the other ship.

"200 million tons, minimum I would guess. The lack of detail gives a really hard time to estimate. Overall it isn't one of the bigger Ark ships. Okay Gant, rewind back to that blast hole you spotted."

The footage went backwards and froze. "I can't really tell a damned thing, I'll take your word that the blast was from the inside though. Guess that's why the damn thing is wobbling. It still doesn't make sense though, the blast affected maybe 20% of the structure. Where did the inhabitants go?"

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2011, 12:35:10 am »
The captain had just entered the ship when he got the message from Stephen. He hurried himself, gliding through the corridors and into his office. As he entered the room, lights flickered and monitors powered up. He swung around the desk and attached himself to the chair. On the screen, an email showed with the proposed bill. Not too bad that. And as it was all local currency, not big of an issue to spend it all.

"The shopping list looks good. Just go ahead on that one." he said into the intercom. "The cargo pods could be useful. We should definitively get those. There aren't enough open spaces to work with in this ship. Could be nice to have some areas to use. Go ahead and get those and talk to Gant about the conversion. I will begin talking to traffic control about our departure."

He turned back to the console and opened the interface for the traffic control. Entering the route, destination and time of departure. The station had "towboats" available, but the Lucre was more than capable of finer navigation out of the docking area. He declined. Leaning back in his chair he felt the satisfaction of not having more administrative work to do. He unfastened himself from the chair and began moving towards the bridge.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2011, 12:36:40 am »
"I guess swamp piss tastes the same all over the galaxy, I'll have what you're havin. I found the kid alright and told him to catch up with us if he wanted a chance at life once he get rid of the uniform"
Torgal followed Raize to the bar, got his brew and then on towards the table through the crowd.

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2011, 12:58:59 am »
Raize had only disappeared into the crowd for a few seconds when a stranger sat down at the table holding two glasses of drink, one containing a clear liquid of some sort he placed in front of Mari with a cheery smile. Mari's eyes went from the man to the drink to the crowd and back to the man again and she shrank into the courner even more.

"Hello," he said, "I bought you a drink, I hope you dont mind but it's very rare that a beautiful young lady such as yourself comes to this bar. I haven't seen you around here before and I felt it rude not to come and introduce myself. I'm Paurl and you are?"

Mari glanced at the crowd again, seeking Raize but he was no where to be seen.

"Mari," she finally said in a quiet voice.

"That's a lovely name, nice to meet you Mari. You're from that ship aren't you, the one currently parked in orbit?"

Mari nodded nervously.

"I'd love to see the stars you know... from up there, it must be beautiful," the man slid towards Mari and put a hand on her knee, "would you show me som..."

He cut off as he felt the cold pressure of Raizes sidearm on the back of his neck.

"Take yer hands off the girl an' git up." Raize said harshly, anger in his eyes.

Mari shrank back even futher.

"Whoa, whoa," the man said, "I meant no harm." He glanced at Mari, "this your boyfriend is it? I'm sorry I didn't realise.."

"Let me make this perfectly clear," Raize said, cocking his gun, "the girl belongs to me, yet got any business with her you take it up with me. Now, lets you and I take a little stroll outside."

The man swallowed nervously as Raize began to direct him towards the door.

"Keep an eye on the girl for me Torg," Raize said, "whilst this gentleman and I have a little chat,"

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2011, 01:09:32 am »
A little confused, Torgal sat down opposite Mari and tasted the watery but strong brew.
"So I'm supposed to keep an eye on you? Heard you were good with machines. But I guess it'd be best if we wait for Raize before talking any more. I'm Torgal by the way."
Putting his pistol on the table he leaned back with his beer and kept an eye open for 'the kid' or Raize.

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2011, 02:11:00 am »
Mari nodded, "Mari." She said quietly, "Machines like me, I make them better that's why... why they kept me." She shuddered and lapsed back into silence again.

Raize pushed the man through the now quieter bar, people moved out of thier way quickly whilst trying to pretend they hadn't noticed anything. Finally they emerged into a small ally way.

"Wait!" the man said sounding terrified, "I swear I didn't know the girl was yours, honest, I'd never have gone near her if I'd known. Please, you have to believe me. I only want to get off this planet, I have money, lots of it. Give me a place on your ship and you can have it all please...."

"Let me make one thing perfectly clear," Raize said in a hard tone, "the Lucre aint takin' on passengers, not fer any money."

And with that he struck the man hard across the back of the neck with the butt of his sidearm. Leaving the man sprawlled in the allyway he made his way back to the table in the bar.

Mari looked up apprehensively as Raize approached. He reached over and grabbed her by her upper arm and dragged her out from behind the table, "I told yer no talking to anyone girl," giving her a hard smack to the back of the head with his free hand he continued, "Places like this are full of the scum of the earth, aint nice people to be gitting to know either, 'specially fer a timid young thing like yerself. So next time yer listen to me and yer do as yer told.. understand."

Mari nodded, "I'm sorry." she said, fighting back tears, "I didnt talk to him, but he wouldnt go away."

Raize gave a sign, "Damn it girl." He thrust one his sidearms into her hands. "Next time yer talk with this. Now sit down and finish yer drink."

He turned to Torgal. "Sorry about that, but one days she's gonna come to harm if she don't learn. I hope your kid turns up afore my friend out back wakes up."

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2011, 02:22:18 am »
"I told him the ship leaves in one and a half hour local time, it's one hour left and if he can't even figure out where to go if short on time he'll be of little use on the ship anyway. So there is no need to hang around near mr. sleepy"

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2011, 02:48:06 am »
Naylor sat behind the desk for a few minutes, hugging his rifle, trying to hear for footsteps coming up the stairs but non came.  He wasn't sure if the "dead" Sergeant  was serious about getting him out of here, He was right about one thing though the punishment for desertion was still firing squad but with explosive reactive rounds, all that was left was blood splatter against the wall they had chained you to and some unidentifiable body parts.  With out another thought Naylor got his gear together and tried to follow the Sergeant to this bar he had mentioned, what had he said? get rid of the uniform? ok so the first thing would be find some clothes some how but he had to be quick about it.
            Once he had got back down to the ground floor and outside Naylor looked around but could not see anything suitable, everything had all ready been looted around here.  But managed to find a hardware store two blocks over and found a pair of surplus unmarked dark green Earth Force airborne overalls with built in knee and elbow pads and a brown peaked cap. Quickly striping off and stuffing his old uniform deep into his Bergen Naylor put on the overalls and put his boots back on and carried on to find this Sergeant.  
  It took a while to find the bar but he did it with less than 30 minutes to spare. Before entering he made sure his rifle was on safe and the round was taken out of the chamber and put it in one of his webbing pouches, and slung it on his shoulder.  Naylor walked into the bar and found all sorts of people inside but there was no sign of the sergeant.  Eventually he found him sitting with a girl in a booth, and stood slightly to attention, so not to attract too much notice from the others, to his left side,

" 604492 Private Frazer Naylor reporting as ordered Senior Sergeant".

Gant looked at the video of the Ark, from what he had seen it looked like it was still in good condition some slight external damage but that was to be expected.  But that hole in it's side was a different matter.

"See how the hull plates are bent outwards? must of been some force to cause that since those plates are thick, can't tell the dimensions from the poor feed and I'm having trouble finding blueprints in my library.  The one thing I can tell you is that is not a critical section, there should be a filtered water tank used for ration supply and to trim the Craft surrounding it.  The cross feed valve must of been shut off with some water left in the tanks on the opposite side and its still sloshing around that's why it's listing like that.  Rest of the Craft looks all right and if the emergency bulk heads worked it should still be air tight with some really stale O2 in the sections so enviro suits are recommended until we can get some power back. For those aboard I can't say I'm a Mech not a ships' medic get our saw bones onto it he could tell you more.  And for the shopping list those pods should be all right I can easily attach them with some of my infamous cable ties and speed tape.  Before I forget if you can get hold of either Mari or Raize ask them to get me some Whiskey the proper stuff this time not the fake stuff. The last lot gave me gut rot for a month! Mari knows my brand. If that's all my propulsion units need a little bit of TLC until those temps get here."

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2011, 03:11:42 am »
Stephen chuckled. "They enacted prohibition after five straight crop failures, with a famine that bad I'm not surprised we couldn't get any of the real stuff there. They were about to make drinking a capital offense and by now if things haven't gotten better they are probably going Soylent Green." He turned off his monitor but kept the voice feed open. "I'll pass the message. As an aside question, how's the kid doing? Three trips with us and she still jumps whenever someone says something. I found her in the rabbit den one day and she acted like I was gonna rip her head off for being there."

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2011, 03:14:46 am »
"Sheesh! trooper, try draw more attention will ya... Tell you what, from now on, you are an anybody, just like me. No ranks, no salutes, no standing to attention, not even discretly.
This guy here is Raize, and the girl's called Mari, but don't get smart with her or Raize here will send you on a space walk without the suit. Anyway, time to move, any questions have to wait until the shuttle."

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2011, 03:40:37 am »
Raize looked this Private Frazer Naylor up and down before standing amd retreaving his spikegun. Mari uncurled from the courner, clutching the pistol Raize had given her to her chest. With a sigh Raize grabbed the gun and shoved it roughtly into the belt of Mari's trousers.

"At least try'n look like yer've held one before girl." he told her as they headed out the bar.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2011, 03:41:29 am »
Gant shouted back:

"YOU'RE FRIGGING KIDDING ME!! How should I know these things nursing these old ladies back here for you head sheds? I'm down to my last crate of two hundred bottles, suppose that means I'll have to cut back even further.  You mean Mari? she's doing fine would not get into the old Omnishia as a Mech, too introvert, but would make a good B Grade Fairy........sorry meant electronics specialist, but she has some skills on her that can be added onto. Where did she learn them? never got round to finding out."

Slightly relaxing Frazer looked at the other two and nervously nodded to them as they where introduced.   Hanging his head low All Frazer could say in reply was:

"Sorry Sarge I'll do as you say."

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2011, 04:03:29 am »
"Nah, that was the last world. This one should be slightly better off. We really need to go coreward sometime soon though because I for one am getting damned depressed out on the rim." Stephen continued. "And I know you are tired of patch jobs with substandard parts, we could all use a break and the ship can use time in a proper yard getting tuned back to perfect trim."

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2011, 04:28:53 am »
Gant:

"See what happens when you treat me like one of those mushrooms? Besides the window cleaner has not done his rounds yet so I cant see where we are. The further out we go it will only get worse. And the only decent yards are all on the Company's or Earth Force books so I'm sure the Captain would want to avoid them. Might be a few independent ones still out there, check your charts Stephen if I remember right there could be one in sector 247.89 run by a bloke called Anders."

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2011, 04:35:43 am »
"Not one of those second rate colonial shipyards, I'm talking about going to Norsca or even Sol and having a full upgrade and refit. Pull pretty much everything, it's been 50 years since the ship had a total overhaul."