Author Topic: Tainted Lucre (Sci Fi RPT)  (Read 20411 times)

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
Re: Tainted Lucre (Sci Fi RPT)
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2011, 05:01:16 am »
"Hah! Toaster uprising!" Aleov grinned. "Oh, a projector. Guess that is the way these other people are shown around here. We should get rid of them. They are only distractions." Seeing as most of the robots were retrofitted utility bots they wouldn't have many weapons or even at all. Better not get too close to them though. "These things must be guided by something, right? Camera, wi-fi, lights? Find it and take it out. I can deal with these." He looked around to find anything to work with.

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2011, 05:24:22 am »

Angrily Raize grabbed Aleov by his suit and slammed him against the side of the car. "The flamin' AI controls them all yer idiot, as to how my girl coulda told ya that. Try an use yer fucking brain before yer going and shootin' of yer gun. Now you've gone and told the flamin' AI we're a damn threat. Those people may only be maintainance droids, but I'm a betting this ship has more than a few automatic security devices which are more than likely headin' our way by now.

Not to mention my girls out there somewhere, an' if this damn AI aint killed her yet you've just bloody well told it to! If I don't find her alive then your body will be joinin' the rest of the corpses on this ship. Yer read me."

With a snarl he let Aleov go and stalked away, loosing a few bolts from his spike gun at the projector and advancing robots he did so.

He glanced over at Gantz, "Mr Gantz I think we be needin' to find a place t'be pluggin' in yer AI bomb about now."

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2011, 05:36:47 am »
"Hey! Even I know the basics of computers. They can't possibly contain a full AI themselves. Just a VI. Charlie must be controlling them somehow and giving them orders. It is most likely the same way he controls the cars, doors and other equipment around here. Besides, we have both weapons and combat training. We can deal with this." Aleov looked around for something to help them spotting an aide station. He ran over and opened a panel, pulling out an oxygen cannister. He unclipped his backpack, fetched some duct tape and a block of explosives. Grabbing a detonator from his vest, he attached the explosives to the oxygen cannister and taped it securely.

"Plug your ears and look away! This is gonna make a proper bang!" Aleov threw the cannister along the floor towards a group of robots, detonating it as it landed in their midst.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:38:39 am by Brekkjern »

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2011, 05:43:11 am »
Aleov's bomb was only somewhat effective. It took a direct hit to be sure of a kill as explosive pressure and shrapnel were not as effective against even the simplest machines as they were against people not wearing armor.

Armond checked a display on the AI device. "This thing still has a good charge on it but driving along under its own power is going to drain it fairly quickly. Now is the time to do some damn fast thinking. I had assumed the command core would be in the habitation section, in some sort of bridge or command deck here towards the front of the ship. Now this hab ring is big but it's only a tenth of the ships area and so far we haven't seen anything to indicate a bridge.
"My next guess is the exact center of the ship, where it would have the most protection. If that's the case we need to get up there." He pointed to the gigantic pillar that glowed overhead. The one that ran along the inner axis of the ships roation. "Then we have to get a vehicle and towards the back of this tub."
R.E.C.R.: There is no way you can defeat the superior power of my massive 56 kilobyte processor!

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2011, 05:50:13 am »
"Damn. I was hoping it would break their sensors." Aleov looked towards the tower. "It's not all too far as long as we have some form of transport. You think a form of train would do?" he said looking at the signs pointing to the closest station.

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: September 07, 2011, 09:09:46 pm »
"That's the problem Aleov, if we get on a train and it bugs out, we are going to either be stuck in near zero gravity or we'll be heading towards a wall at a few hundred clicks. Your guy's call, I'm going to try to find one of these cars that has a charge and that I might be able to keep from going HAL on us."
R.E.C.R.: There is no way you can defeat the superior power of my massive 56 kilobyte processor!

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2011, 06:50:49 am »
Aleov, Raize and Gantz

They found a vehicle safe from Charlie's tampering fairly quickly. It was a two masted road sail car, roomy enough for everyone and the wind was turned right for even novices to be able to drive it. The vehicle quickly outdistanced the horde of zombies and they made good time to the train station.

Oddly enough the only trains running were heading to the Engineering bay, a glance at the map showed the end point was almost exactly where they wanted to be.

Mari

"You made it Julia! I knew you could do it! Now open the door the way I showed you then go inside. I can't see you in there but if you do as I showed you everyone gets their happy ending just like in your favorite stories." Charlie encouraged Mari as she went the final distance.

Gant

With ship senses fine tuned Gant could feel power growing. The main engines were coming to full power.

Guided by Charlie Gant had found an Emergency Substation with the radio in full working order and the launchers with the rescue pods were sitting on the roof ready to fire a person to nearly any part of the Engineering bay.

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2011, 09:23:43 am »
Onboard the Lucre

This whole time Stephen had been working hard but finally he was able to get full data link with Mari's drone which had been left at the hole in the Ark's side. Getting into most of the communications wasn't hard. Lucre had a full set of barely legal decryption gear which made short work of the Dream's 200 year old standards.

It wasn't until someone was activating the emergency communication system inside the ship that Stephen was able to get anything through though. After calling the captain to the bridge he commed over to the Dream. "Teams One and Two, this is Lucre. Do you read? Report current situation!"

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 27, 2011, 02:29:00 am »

Mari glared at the speaker set into the ceiling for a moment then back at the door. Pulling a couple of tools from her tool-belt she prised off the door access contol panel and after a moments fiddling shorted it out, causing the door to slide open.

"Looks like everythin' on this ship be wantin' us t'be goin' to the core. There aint nothin; active going t'other way." Raize said, "Call me suspicous if yer like, but I aint all that fond of the idea of goin' where this ship wants us to, what with it bein' crazy an' tryin' to kill us an' all. Mr. Gantz this here bomb of yours, will any network access point do?" Raize tapped on a glass window of the station indicating a shop down below that was clearly marked as having public data access terminals.

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #189 on: September 27, 2011, 09:24:44 pm »
Aleov, Raize and Gantz

"Something called the HAL principle, there is a chance no matter how well programmed a machine is that it can act in a way that wasn't intended. To prevent corruption, viruses or sabotage you can't access the main programming of any public system except when physically at certain points. On a ship like this, there could be a hundred of those points but for obvious reasons they will be well protected. Active defenses will probably be long gone but we don't have time to cut through ten cems of steel if the door was left closed and locked." Armond checked the charge left on the device. "There's another reason I think we should go this way." Armond pointed towards the main hall. The dust was thick here and clearly showing was a trail comprised of child sized footprints.

Mari
The door opened into a hallway that was obviously spiraling into a central room. Unexpectedly this door was not locked, the hinges were stiff but they moved slowly enough to let her in.
The air inside the room was stale and metallic and few of the lights still worked. The basic levels of maintenance that Charlie had been doing outside obviously hadn't included in here and the place was a mess with old emergency ration packages and water bottles everywhere. Seated in the room's only chair was a skeleton wearing rags, the damaged skull and stains on the chair and wall showed the man had put a gun to his head at some point.