Author Topic: Detailed map of Flipside  (Read 5527 times)

ipatrol

• Tender Young Virgin
  • Head of the People's Revolutionary Police
    • View Profile
Detailed map of Flipside
« on: July 29, 2011, 08:04:00 am »
I am using AutoREALM to create a map of the island that Flipside is on. I used your own maps seen in intermissions as a tracing template and added some cities. Placing the cities and locations was difficult because I had to base most of it off of stated distances (i.e. two weeks of walking ~ 2000km). It's not quite finished yet, and if you can give me some directions to add to those distances and refine the ones already used, I will freely give a copy to you. Also, this island looks like the remains of a volcanic island, like the Hawaiian island chain. Is this the only landmass on the Flipside world, or might it simply be the case that none of its residents have ever looked past their own shores?

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Detailed map of Flipside
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 06:36:53 am »
(i.e. two weeks of walking ~ 2000km).
What do you base that on? That would mean you walk ~140 km every day. Ever tried to do that? for several days in a row?
The sources I have all talk from about ~30 km per day. Independent if you walk or travel by ox cart, camel caravan or similar means. That would be 420 km on a 14 day travel.

Normal walking speed is about 5 to 7 km/h. That has to be a long day for 140 km.

gunsandrockets

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 02:17:49 pm »
I look forward to the maps completion. :)

But I must agree with the criticism that 2,000 km is too far for two weeks of walking.  Roman legions seemed to walk 10-15 miles per day, which would equal 340 km over two weeks, and that assumes ideal conditions such as roman road movement.  (here is fun link about the logistics/timing of the movement of a Roman legion http://www.garyb.0catch.com/march7_days/march_days.html)

ipatrol

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 02:18:33 pm »
Well, that includes stops, 140 km would be akin to the Bataan death march (24/7, no rest). Honestly I don't know what formula AutoRealm uses. I think that is besides the point though. I'm combing over some map fragments from book 0 to fill in some regions with more detail. Also, putting places on the settlement hierarchy is difficult without both the total population of Flipside as well as the populations of each settlement. I mean, I don't even have a proper geoid to work with!

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:39:19 pm »
How did I miss this thread?

There's another page which might help you with Flipside Map creation:

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic/book0/fs23pg12.html

Brion also created a rudimentary map, showing the locations of the main cities that have featured in the comic, in one of the books (Book 3 I think).  Nothing else I can think of that might help sorry.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

ipatrol

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 03:16:19 am »
Yes, I am using that map fragment to fill in the area around Solstice. I am hoping that Brion will notice this and tell me the locations of the cities relative to Eschelon (the one point shown on the large-scale intermission map).

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 10:17:36 am »
This sounds cool, but what do you need from me again?

ipatrol

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 11:32:53 am »
Yay! I need to know the distances and directions between all the locations mentioned in the comic relative to Eschelon (since it was pointed out on a map). I traced the coastline and utilized that map fragment showing the area around Solstice from book 0. Also, I would like to know which places are cities, towns, or villiages. You could just give me the populations of these settlements instead along with the total population to use as a comparitive metric. Feel free to take as long as you want, and you could use any distance unit you want (mi, km, days on foot, etc.). I think I have distances down, but I still need directions. I thank you profusely in advance.

ipatrol

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 05:51:38 pm »
Did I ask for too much? If you could just place dots on an outline of Flipside, that would
tell me all I need to know. Also, does Flipside have the same notion of time as us (sec, min, hr, day, wk, month, yr, etc)?

pervataru

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 02:35:55 am »
I love the idea of this map and hope to see it when you are done