Author Topic: Chag4 reads...  (Read 8143 times)

Chag4

• Kinky
  • PM of awkwardness
    • View Profile
Chag4 reads...
« on: July 25, 2011, 04:57:05 pm »
I'm obsessed with books!
I literaly didn't know what was more important in my life when I thought it over; reading or my boyfriend (who is now my ex boyfriend, so maybe one day I'll find someone worth more than reading to me).

Anyways, I thought since its the most important thing in my life I have to have some useful or interresting knowlege of it, so heck, why shouldn't I share!

But first, are people even interrested in hearing about what I read and what I think about it?

I would also love reading suggestions in this thread. But know that I am kinda picky, and I usually only read fantasy because whatever else I touch feels like eating dirt in comparison, even sci fi, which is wierd since its so closely related.

Anyways, would you care for my ramblings?
Just plodding along.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
Re: Chag4 reads...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:11:27 pm »
Yeah I'll have a read  ::) :P

I'd recommend Raymond E. Feist.  He's down to the last two books in his entire series so by the time you catch up, you'll probably be able to finish the lot.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:42:45 pm »
If you want some good Fantasy, Try the Prince of Nothing series by R Scott Bakker. The books should be called "The darkness that comes before", "The Warrior Prophet", and "The Thousandfold thought."

It's excellent, and part of what's facinating about them is that one of the main characters has amazing powers or prediction and persuasion, which appear to be magic, but in reality are just a skill with Rationality, cognitive bias and causality.

If you like those, there is also a follow up series, called the Aspect Emperor Trillogy, which already contains "The Judging Eye" and "The White-Luck Warrior", with the next book, "The unholy consult" coming out next year.

I'll put some more thought down and explore my collection, and get back to you with more.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 05:57:05 pm »
I'll look into it... As soon as I'm done with Katherine Kerr's last book in the initial devvery series that I've been taking forever to get through for some reason.

Raymond E. Feist writes the Tolkien style fantasy story.  Your basic magic, dwarves, elves, gods, medieval influence, etc.  Its based roughly off an RPG game that he and a heap of friends developed back in the 70's/80's.  So its not the generic Dragon Lance world or anything, but another, very detailed one with its own detailed magic system.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Chag4

• Kinky
  • PM of awkwardness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 06:12:38 pm »
Okay...

Books I'll buy

Karen Miller ? The Innocent Mage and The Awakened Mage
Elizabeth Moon ? The Deed of Paksenarrion (omnibus)
Elizabeth Moon ? A Legacy of Honour (omnibus)
Brandon Sanderson ? Mistborn Trilogy
Maria V. Snyder ? Spy Glass, Sea Glass, Storm Glass

New authors I want to check out

Kate Elliott
N. K. Jemisin

Old authors I need to check back in on

Trudi Canavan
Maria V. Snyder
Pamela Freeman
Jeniffer Fallon
Brent Weeks
David Farland
Russell Kirkpatrick
Jo Graham
Celia Rees
Robert V. S. Redick
Patrick Rothfuss

Series I've started reading and that I shouldn't forget about

Demonata
Septimus Heap
The Kingkiller Chronicle
The Chathrand Voyage
The Traitor Spy Trilogy

So this is my booklist. I also have two trilogies sitting in my bookshelf of "to read" books, and two longer series, and a few odds and ends that I squeeze in whenever I feel like it.
Just plodding along.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 09:36:11 pm »
If you haven't tried him yet, I suggest Tad Williams as an author to read, he has written both pure fantasy and some fantasy/real world crossovers. Also, a british author A. J. Dalton, and his flesh and bone trilogy. He's not internationally published yet, I and my fiance met him at a waterstones book store in nottingham:)

Chag4

• Kinky
  • PM of awkwardness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 03:09:48 pm »
The Broken Man Trilogy
How to kill an immortal?

So I'm currently on book two, Dark Heart.
What is special about this book is that it has three different stories/perspectives slowly merging into one. It swiches between the different stories which is a great way of always being exciting.
If one story is a bit slow at a time it soon swiches to another which might be more entertaining.
It helps you get through the slower parts more easily.

The series is technically about Husk, a near death sorcerer trying to get revenge on the man who crushed him, the Undying Man, an immortal.
He only appears directly in a few interludes in every book, but also follows one of the supporting characters of each of the three stories.

The other three stories follows people and objects Husk needs in order to kill the Undying man.
The story ends up being a lot more complicated than this.
The Queen Stella tries to figure out the limits and conditions of immortality, while the cosmographer Lenares tries to unravel the mysteries of the hole in the world and what the gods have to do with it all, and the fisherman Noetos just wants answers to why his daughter was tortured and why the Neherians could freely invade the Fisher Coast, burning and killing all the way.

I'm only halfway in the story, so I don't know anything yet, but I'll post back here when I do.
No spoilers of course.
Just plodding along.

Chag4

• Kinky
  • PM of awkwardness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 02:42:12 pm »
I have a dilemma of sorts.

I finished The Broken Man Trilogy, it was great. Can't really write more about it without spoiling it.
But see, I tried to read another trilogy by the same writer and of course expected it to be great and just my kind of thing because it couldn't be wildly different from his other series right? It would probably be written in a similar way. But no.
I hate it.
It is horrible. It does not speak to me like the other books do. But I can't stand the thought of giving up entirely. I have no idea how anyone here is going to be able to help me, but anything would help more than nothing...
Just plodding along.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 12:02:01 pm »
Put it on the shelf with a note where you write a date for a new attempt?

Chag4

• Kinky
  • PM of awkwardness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 02:22:25 pm »
Then I will never read it again.

If I give up now, I give up forever.
Just plodding along.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 10:51:38 am »
Well, why read a book that don't agree with you?

Chag4

• Kinky
  • PM of awkwardness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 03:04:11 pm »
Because it's like losing a fight. It sucks.
And I still have hope it might get better for me.
Just plodding along.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 12:04:27 am »
I wouldn't call it loosing a fight, more like finding better ways to spend your time :)
Your choice though, and you seem to be a stubborn little bookworm ;) I don't have the same patience, if a book I come across doesn't agree with me, I usually drop it and goes for a more interesting book. Once it has been translation issues that bugged the hell out of me, and at that I tried the original english, that worked!

Jongarakun

• Collared Pet
  • Woah, momma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 10:42:47 am »
Eh, finish it if it'll bother you, just keep it in the back of your head as reference for terrible books.

I'd like to see your rantings. Also, I suggest Too Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez if you like comedy fantasy. It has excellent interactions, even if the ending is awful.

Chag4

• Kinky
  • PM of awkwardness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 11:01:09 am »
So I've been reading The Adamantine Palace and The King of the Crags by Stephen Deas. I'm not sure how long this series will be, but there is at least one more book, The Order of the Scales.
This is an incredibly captivating series. However, Stephen Deas is completely evil.

He has loads of amazing characters, and none of them seem to be completely good. They all have a bad side to them, some worse than others. (Ok, so there are a few non-bad people, but none of them are very important.)
But even though they are all bad, you end up loving them (or at least I do) and rooting for them to do the right thing, to succeed and to be happy.
And here comes the evil: All of these characters fuck eachother over in countless horrible ways. One moment you love them and are completely on their side, the next you hate them for doing something terrible to one of the other characters, who you will probably end up hating a few pages over.
And since it's so captivating you get really emotionally involved with all of them (at least I do).

So at one point I ended up in a pool of my own tears screaming and crying while thinking "Damn that bitch for doing that to him, even though he deserves it for being a bastard and will probably benefit and maybe do things better after this incident and...! NO! Fuck NO! STOP DON'T DO IT! She doesn't deserve it! I LOVE HER! eventhoughshejustdidthatterriblehoribbleevilthing."

After a while I always start rooting for the mean, unfair and bad yet not evil dragons that just wants to kill everybody and eat them. I scream: KILL THEM! KILL THEM ALL!!!
Because I get so sick of the stupid humans being mean to eachother and ruining eachothers lives. If they aren't going to do anything good then they can just as well die! And then there will only be dragons and their food. No pain, no sorrow, just the circle of life.

Seriously, they are great books. You should read them. But if you get emotionally attached to characters like I do, I recomend you get yourself ready for the worst emotional-rollercoaster-ride you have ever got from a book.
(After one particularly bad part of the book I sat quitely in the shower for over an hour and didn't touch the book for a few days after.)

I love these books, but I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT to get DONE with them.
Just plodding along.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 12:36:54 pm »
Well, that is one emotional review XD