Author Topic: Chapter 43: Discussion  (Read 82832 times)

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 43: Discussion
« Reply #240 on: May 22, 2015, 04:20:32 pm »
Each to his own Miss Briefs... but I personally like seeing Bernedette on the offensive for once! :)

Guess he underestimated her will to not be underated.  If that blow was fatal.. he possibly still could be saved with magic... {shrug}...

I don't think the big guy was a bully.. he never gloated over any hit he made on her .. he saw her as a true challenge for his skill and power someone who had finally pushed him to his limits... and beyond.  If he survives... there is no reason they might not be friends.

That looks like not a heart wound but a blow to the stomach. If he calls it quits here, he can probably get healing in time. If not, depending on whether it hit major organs, could be fatal.

There are different types of bullies, actually. A bully is a person who does one of two things, usually.
  • They abuse others in some way.
  • They force others to do something they don't want to do.

Yes, he does see her as a worthy opponent. However, did he force her to do something? Yes. By keeping going for his stupid pride, he effectively is forcing her to consider lethal action, something that is disgusting to her. Now let's talk about the other category.

http://www.projectpave.org/6-types-abuse

There are 6 major types of abuse, aside from self-inflicted like drug abuse:

• Physical
  • Economic
  • Verbal
  • Emotional
  • Mental
  • Sexual

Pushing you into a corner, and making you feel like you're betraying yourself, is likely mental or emotional abuse. I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm feeling a little better about this comic, I was having a really crappy day (a friend that I work together with basically told me I'm worthless or something, and it was tied to work so I was left in the lurch. I couldn't really enjoy this comic until late in the afternoon).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:23:36 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

Pinkk

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 22, 2015, 09:14:37 pm »
While I haven't hated it or had any problem with the story, the reason you may not be liking it, is because it's a fight scene that you end up having to wait for.  It's one thing when it's not much of a fight scene and more story, but this is about the fight, so you tend to want it to go faster.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: May 23, 2015, 01:22:22 pm »
Anyway, I'm feeling a little better about this comic, I was having a really crappy day (a friend that I work together with basically told me I'm worthless or something, and it was tied to work so I was left in the lurch. I couldn't really enjoy this comic until late in the afternoon).

I know this may not be my place to say... and I know I really don't know you, Miss Briefs; but the few posts you have written even your disagreement with the 'unnamed' poster I have always found your posts insightful, well thought out, and very sane and worthy of all consideration.  You seem to be a passionate, Very intelligent, and insightful woman. 

If your...'colleague' at work cannot see your deep and valuable qualities... then his opinion is, in my humble opinion, not of the worth that you should place much weight in it or allow his shortsightedness to make you question your qualities or contributions... in ANY venue!

I did not say this before for fear of being too forward... but I'm very glad you abandoned the path of a entertainment sex worker.  No person should have to sell themselves for the entertainment of another just to make a living.  I'm certain there are far more upbuilding and lucrative career choices a woman of your clear intelligence and education can pursue and still maintain your own self-respect and dignity.  I'm glad you found another way to make your living.  And not being judgmental or condemning any who have had to make a different choice.. but I'm glad a woman of your clear qualities & intelligence found another option... and I'm sure the world is better for it.
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 23, 2015, 04:54:31 pm »
(I'm a transwoman, early transition, but thank you. I think I relate to Bern alot because she's sorta a "gruff" quiet woman)

Her. It smacked of abuse but it happening at the same day this came out completely soured my view of the comic. It felt like Bern won against me. It took much of the day to realize that I was looking at this wrong, and while I am certainly flawed, she didn't know me past a few weeks. After taking a better look at myself, I was able to "counter" my initial assessment.

Urgh, I do not want to talk about that. The degrading part isn't even the worst part, it was like zero privacy, so I'd get phone calls in the middle of the night, or while I was with my parents. Most of them would only agree if I gave them my address (refused), so 2/3 of it was time wasters, and most of the rest either were trying to scam/lowball or such freaks I didn't want to do anything with them.

—Edward D. Morrison

Smiles

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Easter is gonna be great!Heard he will Rise Again!
    • View Profile
    • AnimeCentral
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: May 23, 2015, 06:11:15 pm »
So missed seeing you at Acen this year Brion. :/ but loving the new pages as usual. ^_^ Go Bern! I bet even she didn't expect that. lolz.

hey ever thought about going to cons in Florida? I happen to know a small little con you could pick up a new gen fanbase ^_^
Just loving it! :-*
let's sit and chat a while and see if I don't make you smile .;)

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 25, 2015, 04:52:53 am »
Aw. Should've cut off his other hand..

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 25, 2015, 05:40:15 am »
Look, Bern will NOT die, right? My guess is that this guy will die before Bern can. The only way he could get within reach of Bern's neck is to move towards Bern--and he did NOT try to get off of her sword. Hence, that sword went DEEPER into him, and HAD to have hit something vital, it just had to. Prediction: Just before he can deliver the Death Squeeze, he'll croak.

And Bern did NOT kill this guy, Polly. His Warrior's Pride did. Chill...

P.S.: I'm adding that the sword will somehow prevent him from killing her, since she's still holding them. I wouldn't be surprised if it forces him to let her go...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:42:20 am by SAGG »

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 25, 2015, 06:19:13 am »
Good lord.  :o Stop it man, enough is enough.

Or pass out. He has a bound up left hand, chest shrapnel (or whatever that was), and a gut wound.

Currently at this range, she has about four moves.
  • Stomach launch, basically putting one or both legs at his stomach to push him back.
  • Scissors his arm. He'll never fight again without serious improvising or prosthesis.
  • Scissors his head. Unless she's deciding now is a good time to cross that line
  • Groin kick. I think I saw him wearing a rather large codpiece though, so maybe that's out. It would be "super effective" though.

This reminds me of an episode of Beet the Vandel Buster, a lesser known anime in some circles.

They fight Grunide, this monster who spent his life containing his rage and his power. Anyway, he goes berserk, and they can't beat him (because he's using his actual rage to regenerate) until they do a completely crazy teamwork attack that cuts his horn. This is supposed to stop him as the horn is the source of power for the Vandels. But he sorta final attacks after the final strike and they're caught off guard. All it takes is a last push, of Beet using his magic to touch him with his hand on fire, and he falls back (of course, after that he explodes and they have to run for the hills).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQPnbUgmFOw&spfreload=10
—Edward D. Morrison

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 25, 2015, 10:31:29 am »
Well, that's the other arm.

Dhaxis

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 26, 2015, 09:10:43 am »
    What bother's me about this situation is if she could read his quick strikes with the pole arm weapon remains how did she not read he was dropping his weapon and going for a grab? Even in this position she has multiple escape options, or at least given how badly injured the man is.

I saw earlier a mention of a push off from his chest motion she could do, which seems likely, but really all she has to to do is stab him with the swords repeatedly... he only has one arm after all.

Being choked certainly isn't the end of a fight, and a stab wound of that caliber (he had at least 6+ inches of steel in his gut, it is bound to have hit something vital). Granted in a world of magic I suppose "being realistic" is up to interpretation. Even simply hitting his arm with her swords, to inflict cuts along it or perhaps even severing it, isn't farfetched considering she already cut his arm off with just one of the swords.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:10:41 am by Dhaxis »

mittfh

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 26, 2015, 12:44:32 pm »
If only she'd aimed her thrusting sword a little lower - he might have been in rather more pain if she'd prevented his ability to reproduce...

Still, Bern's currently being strangled while he's got a sword piercing his guts. If Bern has enough strength left to withdraw that sword, it's likely he'll start losing blood significantly quicker, at which point he'll have other things to think about. If she can hit him with her other sword (not necessarily thrust through him, but enough to cause another injury) it's possible he'd lose blood (and therefore grip strength) even quicker...

Pinkk

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 26, 2015, 09:42:36 pm »
If only she'd aimed her thrusting sword a little lower - he might have been in rather more pain if she'd prevented his ability to reproduce...

Still, Bern's currently being strangled while he's got a sword piercing his guts. If Bern has enough strength left to withdraw that sword, it's likely he'll start losing blood significantly quicker, at which point he'll have other things to think about. If she can hit him with her other sword (not necessarily thrust through him, but enough to cause another injury) it's possible he'd lose blood (and therefore grip strength) even quicker...

Just needs to stab him in the throat.

Silverdrake

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 27, 2015, 07:16:11 am »
He is defenseless now. He grabs with his left arm and is static due to holding her, Bernadette has her right arm free, she can also move her sword sticking in his stomach up, down, slice away.

Unless he crushes her throat right away (he should given his strength) Bernadette can now decide his fate: Chop off the arm, stab him wherever she wants to. This is a very bad situation he has moved himself into. He probably can use his right to smash in Bernadette's face or something, if he is fast enough.

This is a situation where we probably see Bernadette's slit-second-gut reaction (what a lame pun...gut reaction...) how she treats him now. One way or the other the fight is going to end.

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 27, 2015, 09:36:24 am »
Umm his right? It was cut off a while ago.
Now if Bern dies, I don't know if I can continue following this comic. Just sayin.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 27, 2015, 12:12:55 pm »
    What bother me about this situation is if she could read his quick strikes with the pole arm weapon remains how did she not read he was dropping his weapon and going for a grab? Even in this position she has multiple escape options, or at least given how badly injured the man is.

I saw earlier a mention of a push off from his chest motion she could do, which seems likely, but really all she has to to do is stab him with the swords repeatedly... he only has one arm after all.

Being choked certainly isn't the end of a fight, and a stab wound of that caliber (he had at least 6+ inches of steel in his gut, it is bound to have hit something vital). Granted in a world of magic I suppose "being realistic" is up to interpretation. Even simply hitting his arm with her swords, to inflict cuts along it or perhaps even severing it, isn't farfetched considering she already cut his arm off with just one of the swords.

Reading attacks is not the same as being ready for all counters. Also, you've obviously not been trained in any martial arts.

Sword 1 outside-blocks the club or whatever, sword 2 stabs. The thing about an outside block is that the arm is --> while he simply dropped the weapon and moved out of position to do a grab. This means for her right hand to attack, she has to sweep across her body from low-mid outside to high center, while having little breathing space in her lungs to work with. The other arm has just been out of his chest, and in a weird position to block.  The most effective thing she could do is aim sword 2 slightly upward for a light stab, and kick with both feet. This would instantly break his hold, and knock him over. Or an inside block with the hand that just struck him to knock his hand away.

If she dies, I think alot of us would give up on this story. Not to mention, since she's May's love interest, it would kinda mess up the entire plot.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:24:01 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

Pinkk

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 27, 2015, 04:03:57 pm »
I don't know.  May seems like the type who can easily move on.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 27, 2015, 04:59:42 pm »
I dunno that seems weird. Why talk about someone for 43 chapters and just throw them away? That makes no sense.

Polly is the sorta character the lot of us could say that about, since she's gotten maybe 5 chapters of development, but Bern is kinda like Beckett in Castle. The story makes little sense if she's gone, except as a revenge tale. In fact, I think at one point, the author labels it as a story of two women.

I find it sorta funny that the comic is delayed until tomorrow. Normally when you choke someone, it's extended for a period of time until either the hold is broken or the person passes out. So it's sorta like deciding what to do about the neck, and we're waiting for the author to stop choking her.

I don't believe he has the strength left to crush her throat. But she could easily wake up the victor, instead of finishing stuff.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:44:44 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

9_6

« Reply #257 on: May 28, 2015, 11:58:19 am »
So if that arm didn't come off right away and mr universe is permitted to hold onto the neck long enough for warden to finish her inner monologuing and if he wants to kill her, how is that neck not snapped in half already?
The man casually wields a planet for a weapon. He would go toe to toe unarmed with someone wielding weapons, punches swords and is all out of fucks to give.
He can do that. You pretty much established it beyond question that he can and would do that.
I mean just look at how his gigantic hand fully wraps around berns stick-like neck.

We are shown 3 panels of neck holding so I can only interpret that as time passing.
Maybe one larger panel of "woah he grabbed her by the neck" and her not yet struggling but instead being surprised, then cutting to black and having warden monologue with no on-camera neck holdings since she thinks about the colosseum and has her eyes closed anyway would have been more appropriate if wardens train of thought wasn't meant to move time along.

Next page she can open her eyes in widened surprise when bern cuts the arm off or does whatever to get out of this (if she does), that would have flowed more naturally since it happens instantaneously. As it should!!
You don't screw around with the neck, you're kinda vulnerable there.
Someone grabs you there, you don't wait, you react and being neck grabbed won't instantly disable your arms anyway.

So berns pained expression panel makes no sense since it implies she just lets the choking happen long enough for her to experience pain which in itself makes no sense since her neck should realistically just be broken like a twig in an instant to prevent her from the reaction that will come next page.
It's pretty much the only safe option muscleman has, really.

Being stabbed and crippled, breaking her neck in response should even let him get away with killing in the colosseum outside of a deathmatch since this turned into an obvious life-death struggle the moment bern impaled him.
Limbs can easily be stapled back on, as established with may, but I haven't seen the dead brought back to life in flipside yet.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:31:21 pm by 9_6 »

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 28, 2015, 02:39:21 pm »
Pffft, Mr Universe. You have noticed that her right hand sword is now nearly to the arm.

Dresden Files had a long speech about exactly this topic.  Yea, found it.

Quote from: TurnCoat
Here's something a lot of people don't know: being choked unconscious hurts.
There's this horrible, crushing pain on your neck, followed by an almost instant surge of terrible pressure that feels like it's going to blow your head to tiny pieces from the inside. That's the blood that's being trapped in your brain. The pain surges and ebbs in time with your heartbeat, which is probably racing.
It doesn't matter if you're a waifish supermodel or a steroid-popping professional wrestler, because it isn't an issue of strength or willpower?it's simple physiology. If you're human and you need to breathe, you're going down. A properly applied choke will take you from feisty to unconscious in four or five seconds.
Of course, if the choker wants to make the victim hurt more, they can be sloppy about the choke, make it take longer.
I'll let you guess which the skinwalker preferred.

Basically, even if you're super strong, squeezing a neck isn't the easiest thing to do.

I think this warden is one of these people with a pet theory. The thing is, social Darwinism is a load of crap. At this point, she's just making a load of rationalizations.
Supposedly, Bern was only strong if she had "moral adaptability" and was "willing to get her hands dirty." Next supposedly, Polly made a bad choice by making her sacrifice for her, and she had no chance of winning. Okay, so what about that theory, hmmmm?

In this last chapter, while keeping her principles, she's managed to defeat two people just by blocking. She's screwed up his sword when supposedly it was "over" for her. And she cut his arm off like nothing.  Warden, meanwhile, has been consistently wrong so far but still manages to spew out cynical garbage, and act like it's the truth.

There will always be people who feel its their duty to "educate" the "dreamers" of the world about "reality." (In fact, this was the whole plot of Tomorrowland) Maybe you don't know reality as well as you think you do?

Maybe "that's the way things are" or maybe things are that way because people don't work together to fix things. Maybe because people don't do anything to help people who are struggling that we all have to struggle and fight and compete with other in this world? Warden is okay (helped her with the swords and getting into the match), but if she dropped this nonsense, she could be part of the solution as to making this place decent. People pay their dues, are willing to entertain, the audience gets their entertainment, but this place doesn't need to be the hellhole that it is.

Also, the author apparently doesn't understand medicine. Heart wounds are not automatically fatal.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19698_7-deadly-things-you-wont-believe-most-people-survive.html

You Have a 1 in 3 Chance of Surviving Getting Stabbed in the Heart

33% survival rate is good odds.

Compare that to gut wounds.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=650313

Kidney wounds can cause rather quick unconsciousness (in a few seconds, and death within the minute), because they mess with blood pressure and cause anaphylactic shock, and that's just one organ there. To say nothing of blood loss.

Thrashing around, as she's likely to do while choking, she'd probably hit his arm by accident (the other sword is already touching him). I have no idea how she figures things are already over. There's still life in her and all she has to do is whack his arm, while her opponent is bleeding to death.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:22:21 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: May 29, 2015, 10:36:36 am »
Limbs can easily be stapled back on, as established with may, but I haven't seen the dead brought back to life in flipside yet.

I guess you forgot that part.

Also, the author apparently doesn't understand medicine. Heart wounds are not automatically fatal.

Hey, Warden is the one who said it, not me!  Perhaps SHE is the one who doesn't understand medicine.

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 29, 2015, 08:37:09 pm »
Not all stabbings are equal, except in generalizations that look at stabbings in general (and few stabbings in general would be with swords). If Bern is proficient at heart stabbing and used a sword to wreck his heart, basically into two or more pieces, it wouldn't function all that well, especially if the sword was left in there, and I doubt his odds of survival would be one in three whether or not he received modern medical care (maybe magic would be adequate, but then the warden would probably be expecting this, and she doesn't seem to be). As far as continuing to fight after that, probably not for long, anyway. As for his speed and efficacy at neck-squeezing, as well as his lead in terms of time on Bern, I wouldn't know.

Pinkk

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2015, 09:41:22 pm »
I'd say the Warden's problem is her own mentality.  Maybe she's just been a warden to long or just her town as it's very much a terrible city.  She truly believes one can only be a warrior or a victim and if you lose, you're a victim.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 30, 2015, 04:22:59 pm »

I guess you forgot that part.

Hey, Warden is the one who said it, not me!  Perhaps SHE is the one who doesn't understand medicine.

Not dying immediately, so... Also, there's the whole concept of bleeding out.

But nice save.  ;D

It sorta begs the question with the warden though. Supposedly, when one pays off the debt, they're free to go. But I have a feeling (based on what's happening with these three) that this is a pretty rigged game. So I wonder if the reason Warden's so downer is that she's stuck here. That she was prisoner, but ummm circumstances happened, and she wound up staying. It almost seems like the reason she gave those swords is that she wants Bern to prove her wrong.
—Edward D. Morrison

Caffinator

• Tender Young Virgin
  • It's just one of those days
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2015, 09:04:56 am »
Disarmed jokes? Anyone?

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 01, 2015, 01:20:09 am »
More like Black Knight jokes. Seriously, did Brion stay up watching Monty Python? I imagine him biting her next.
—Edward D. Morrison

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 01, 2015, 06:43:13 am »
More like Black Knight jokes. Seriously, did Brion stay up watching Monty Python? I imagine him biting her next.

Hey, knock it off. You're being an ass.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 01, 2015, 09:00:51 am »
Fair enough.  :-X

More seriously, hopefully this will end soon, and Bern will move on. Battle is too long.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:12:15 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #267 on: June 01, 2015, 03:26:49 pm »
There... that's the look that I have been waiting to see ever since the Warden was introduced... "utter shock"!
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 01, 2015, 06:32:54 pm »
Welp, everyone called it wrong, no dismemberment (not sure if that refers to hands, or organs).

But she did get to kick him away.

And blow the Warden's mind.
—Edward D. Morrison

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 02, 2015, 12:16:55 am »
Called it... ;D