Author Topic: Chapter 43: Discussion  (Read 82811 times)

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 43: Discussion
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2015, 04:39:20 am »
Oh I've one thing to add. I was watching Berserk, and was struck by the (seemingly unrealistic) pain tolerance. So I looked up about the berserk culture, and found an interesting video on the wiki (tvtropes of course). It was called the myth of on hit kills.

Basically, the body is a funny thing.  Some people can die from minor bullets. Some people can have freaking sword wounds from shoulder to heart and keep going until they win the fight, okay now I can die.  This is basically the effects of adrenaline. My point?

Well two things, she may not have killed them, so they could live on for awhile. Hopefully not coming back to bully her (hey it'd be great if she earned their respect and later they could stand up for her, but I'm not holding my breath), but that means that she wouldn't have the guilt to live with. This was a deathmatch so unless she was handicapped I think they wouldn't penalize her.
The second thing is, in battle you have to keep your guard up.  Big guy could try something cheap at the last second, either to hurt her, or disqualify her.
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

9_6

« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2015, 05:09:58 am »
Big guy also didn't show what the thing that made her instinctively avoid getting close was.
So this probably isn't over, brion didn't establish that for nothing. Or maybe he did and is just toying with us.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2015, 09:16:43 pm »
Oh gods... please Bern... you've won.. don't kill him!  Don't become ..'like them'.  Just bat him aside... its all you need to do... be gentle.

You'd think he'd realize that all the force that has been applied against her sword.. get turned back on those directing it at her... does he REALLY want to crush his fingers into paste?
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Enkida

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
    • Baldur's Gate Portraits
« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2015, 05:35:22 am »
Why did Beambro stand back up to punch her sword?  Literally, grab and pummel *her sword.*.  Is he related to this guy?

or maybe this cat?

or maybe just a cousin of Keanu...

Go on, bro, beat that sword down! Show it who's boss!

2 kids = no more comics, but you can still find me doing BG portraits now and then

greenglowinggoo

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2015, 05:49:39 am »
Oh gods... please Bern... you've won.. don't kill him!  Don't become ..'like them'.  Just bat him aside... its all you need to do... be gentle.

You'd think he'd realize that all the force that has been applied against her sword.. get turned back on those directing it at her... does he REALLY want to crush his fingers into paste?
I don't think it's a simple force reversal, I bet depending on how the swords are used, they either act as a conduit for, or negate enchantment.  If the swords are hit by the same weapon together, they negate it, hit separately the magic passes from one sword to the other and out again.   When the two people attacked her at once, the attacks went through one sword and out the other.  The fireball went at the slashy man, and the slashes went at the woman who sent the fireball.

When the guy hit her with the the giant bar sword thingie, her swords were together.  Most likely the giant bar sword thingie had an enchantment for magical heavyness and density so when it was negated, it was flimsy and weak and shattered.  His gloves probably have an enchantment for super strength to let him wield the bar thing.  So now he tried to punch the swords (implying super strength was intended to break them), and then tried to rip the gloves out of her hands with super strength and it's negating the strength.

There may also be a difference of how the swords react to enchantment on an item and projectile magic.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:51:44 am by greenglowinggoo »

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 23, 2015, 06:36:21 am »
Oy. Mr. I-Beam. Give. It. A. Rest. You are grabbing a sword bare-handed. Do you WANT to die?

9_6

« Reply #156 on: April 23, 2015, 01:05:04 pm »
Grabbing a sword isn't as dumb as you'd think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwuQPfvSSlo

Enkida

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
    • Baldur's Gate Portraits
« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2015, 02:26:47 pm »
You know, I think I read the action wrong, I guess Beambro was trying to punch Bern at first and she blocked with the sword.

Background: hubby used to train with a European swordfighting reenactment group.  I kind of suspect my moment of "Beambro can't possibly be that stupid" is coming unintentionally from the way the scene is drawn, as in angles the swords are held at / length of the swords / positions of bodies.  Which is all right, drawing fight scenes is damn hard, I just want to point it out.  And, "magic" can explain everything of course, deus ex machina.

Going off of reality, the first huh moment is that it looks like Bern is using European style bastard swords, one in each hand.  Hubs, who is 6'2", can actually wield one ~2kg sword in one hand, but would not personally try to wield two at the same time, or in his words, "not if I want to live.". So either the swords are drawn too long, or they must be enchanted to weigh a lot less.  And before we start on Bernadette's strength, if she's granted magic strength from the swords, see below.  If she's not, her arms are drawn too skinny, flat chested or not.

Panel 3, the angle of her block, if it's a block (and why I thought initially Beambro went straight for her sword with his punch) -  angle & length of sword + angle & length of her arm + we can even see her back = she is not in a planned block, because of the way her wrist has to be bent to hold the sword like that (even though we can't see it).  At that position it absolutely has to be that the sword magically absorbs the force of the impact completely.  If the swords were granting her strength to block in that position, and they're that long, physics says they would bend even slightly under the impact, even if she had the strength to stop it.

Plus, the portrayal of time flow.  If the punch was instantaneously blocked by the sword, then he quickly grabbed said sword to try a second punch, I think panel 2 should have his fist already retreating when the other hand grabs.  Otherwise, it looks like literally, he was aiming to punch the sword while Bernadette, standing passively behind those swords, looks on wonderingly.  "What on earth does this guy think he's doing, doesn't he know we're in the middle of a fight?  I'm right here you know..." ;)

And then the grabbing thing.  European swords were, by the time of the evolution of armour, not made to cut so they weren't all *that* sharp.  But unless Bernadette was really standing passively, they could still damage the fingers without proper protection, which involves the use of metal (chain) gloves.  Deus ex machina magic cloth gloves could explain this part though.

Just on the whole, when the initial shove aside move didn't work, for Beambro to then plant his feet, grab the sword with both hands, squeeze his eyes shut and grunt and shake while trying to make it budge, while Bern just stands limply and eyes him, makes me think he really is a glorified gorilla anyway.  Here is where I yell at *Bern* to remember that she's still in a fight, for Maytag's sake, move yer ass and kick some already.
2 kids = no more comics, but you can still find me doing BG portraits now and then

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2015, 04:08:42 pm »
Here is where I yell at *Bern* to remember that she's still in a fight, for Maytag's sake, move yer ass and kick some already.

That's debatable. He's still standing but as far as the crowd is concerned , they're beaten. He's just embarrassing himself against someone who doesn't want to hurt him, and probably could just ball-kick him. I think Bern would prefer it if he conceded, and they both moved on. 

And yes, it looks like it transfers energy into the other sword. When the two swords are crossed, it creates a feedback loop that cancels energy. Given how powerful that sword is, I don't think attacking him directly would be good if she wants to do a no kill principle. It would probably knock him across the room at the very minimum of pressure.

Update since new comic: Yeah... these guys are punks. Bern would prefer them all knocked out and challenging other people, they're stubborn, and won't give up until they hurt her or she seriously hurts them. He managed to bloody her face and that should leave a scab for awhile. She needs like shield effect, that can knock them away without having their blood on her hands. But this might end badly. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:58:49 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2015, 05:33:59 am »
Oh for pete's sake. What have these guys got to gain from this? If Bern hits them any harder, they're likely to die. Still, they're grabbing her legs, trying to yank the swords out of her hands, and just plain fighting dirty.

What's worse is that while the "death penalty" seems to be lifted for them, there is no guarantee that the same rules apply to Bern. So if she kills them, even accidentally, she will get penalized despite the fact that they just keep overexerting themselves.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2015, 06:10:50 am »
Whoa, Bern got bloodied. And it looks like Gigantor's going to try a haymaker on Bern! Block with the sword, Bern, block!  :o

mittfh

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2015, 03:41:39 pm »
That first punch arrived while she was still processing having her ankle held. She needs to regain focus asap before the second punch has a chance to hit and move out of the way. Sure, she can't move her one ankle, but the rest of her body isn't restrained. Ideally, she'd set him up so he fell on top of ankle-holder, causing him to lose his grip and her to regain the advantage.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2015, 07:28:19 pm »
Oh for pete's sake. What have these guys got to gain from this? If Bern hits them any harder, they're likely to die. Still, they're grabbing her legs, trying to yank the swords out of her hands, and just plain fighting dirty.

What's worse is that while the "death penalty" seems to be lifted for them, there is no guarantee that the same rules apply to Bern. So if she kills them, even accidentally, she will get penalized despite the fact that they just keep overexerting themselves.

They are probably promised freedom. But seriously, what freedom is worth another person's life? Seriously.

The thing is, he could not possibly disarm her. Why? Because of the nature of the swords.

When the swords hit the fist, the other sword glowed. In other words, the sword transfers the energy of the attack through the other sword. As in, a fireball shifts to the other sword. If he tries to disarm her, it's his strength being used. She's not lightening it, he's using his own strength against himself.

She needs to knock these two away, and then put a quick nonlethal end to the battle.
—Edward D. Morrison

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2015, 08:07:18 am »

They are probably promised freedom. But seriously, what freedom is worth another person's life? Seriously.

The thing is, he could not possibly disarm her. Why? Because of the nature of the swords.

When the swords hit the fist, the other sword glowed. In other words, the sword transfers the energy of the attack through the other sword. As in, a fireball shifts to the other sword. If he tries to disarm her, it's his strength being used. She's not lightening it, he's using his own strength against himself.

She needs to knock these two away, and then put a quick nonlethal end to the battle.

Some folks would argue that freedom was worth about 1.1 million lives or so.

Silverdrake

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2015, 10:39:18 am »
Aaand again, as always, Bernadette is rescued by another person.

She does not grow.
She does not adapt.
She does not face reality.

Someone else is again getting the coals from the fire for her (in the latest round it's first Warden who offers the "chance" without Bernadette doing anything to get (not even speaking of "earn" it), then it's Polly who pledges to pay the price for the "chance", now this time her father who shows up with the Deus-Ex-Machina-Sword).

I'm very interested in where this plot arc is going, so far I have no clue. The message so far merely is "Bernadette is carried through everything by other people".
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 10:40:59 am by Silverdrake »

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2015, 12:38:31 pm »

She does not grow.
She does not adapt.

Someone else is again getting the coals from the fire for her (in the latest round it's first Warden who offers the "chance" without Bernadette doing anything to get (not even speaking of "earn" it), then it's Polly who pledges to pay the price for the "chance", now this time her father who shows up with the Deus-Ex-Machina-Sword).

I'm very interested in where this plot arc is going, so far I have no clue. The message so far merely is "Bernadette is carried through everything by other people".

...from a certain point of view...

I see it as Bern merely getting a chance to more firmly hold to her convictions.  Its not like the others did not have magic to throw at her either?  Now she has a weapon that allows her to stand for her beliefs. 

You say her swords are a Deus-Ex-Machina... there are several modes of attack that her attackers could have used if they were not just trying to all out kill her!

I-Beam Boy could have struck the ground under her feet or used his great strength to bust up a dust cloud to confuse and throw her off balance.. or even just batted things at her like pieces of the arena and/or ground.

Sandman could likely have made a cloud of sand thick enough to choke the air from her lungs.. parry THAT!  Would have rendered her unconscious but not dead.

Chain and Ball of Flame girl could have used her weapon to entangle Berns feet yes she could have tried to parry that or evade but is the fireball is melting the sand and fusing it to glass at the same time?

But no.. they all went for the obvious hit it harder technique cause they were there to kill her...
I would have gotten the Damn clue when she blocked I-Beam without breaking a sweat that Force was not the answer or way to win!

They ALL had power.. but they had 'jack' for perception!  Power without perception is spiritually useless.. if you don't use it properly all the power in the world just makes you dangerous~ to Yourself!  They just finally met someone who brute force would not work so easily on.  Arrogance and hubris that they could kill this gentle kind-hearted woman who dedicated her life to only fighting when necessary or for the sake of the innocent.

And I'm really not understanding why lots of you are blaming Bern for Polly's actions!  Bern didn't TELL Polly to do ANYTHING.. BERN never even asked Polly for help!  Polly is a grown woman she CHOOSE to be here.. she Chose to keep out-bidding Bern for the 'privilege' of accepting suffering on Bern's behalf.  Bern NEVER asked nor complained nor demanded anything from her.. Polly did all of what she has done on her own.

And for the record.. 'adapting' does not mean compromising your morals... that's called 'selling out'!  A person not willing to stand by their most firmly held beliefs when it really matters... should reconsider.. how 'firmly held' those professed beliefs really are?  What are you willing to die for.. and WAAAAAY more importantly.. What are you will to LIVE for and BY?!?  It's Easy to die for "professed strongly-held beliefs".. you don't have to face the consequences of what happens after.. but LIVING for a belief... NOW THAT takes Devotion and a firm faith in what you stand for!

Don't get me wrong.. I commend Polly on her devotion ... I wish everyone had friends who would go to the wall for them like that!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:42:09 pm by sunphoenix »
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2015, 05:26:54 pm »

She does not grow.
She does not adapt.

You seem to have a very narrow idea of what reality is, then.  It is not simply your dog eat dog programming, it's all of this. And people can make whatever choices in life they wish.

As for the latter. All of us owes our lives to other people. Bern is honest about it. I mean, did you get that job without the teachers who taught you? You can work as hard as you with, but unless you have people to buy food and clothes from, the only way to not be naked is to sew your own. We can talk about "strength" and "independence" but it's crap. We owe our lives to our parents, we owe our happiness to our friends who support our dreams, we owe our jobs to our employers or clients. If you think you're perfect by yourself, you are kidding yourself.

Bern doesn't need to grow according to your standards. She is growing according to hers.

She doesn't need to adapt according to this place. It's a hellhole, if you get used to it, you're doing it wrong.

And yes, The Person Above Me. It is good to have friends. They make even a crappy place livable. Friends are people you can count on when you're in need, and you know they'll take your call.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 05:32:04 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2015, 11:50:47 pm »
then it's Polly who pledges to pay the price for the "chance", now this time her father who shows up with the Deus-Ex-Machina-Sword).

Sorry, I don't mean to pick on you.  But don't you think this is kind of a silly comment?  How are the swords a "Dues-Ex-Machina" when they've been in the comic since Book 3, and it's been stated all along that they have some sort of power?  Sure, they are powerful, perhaps overpowered (although I don't think so, "overpowered" is relative to the strength of her foes.)  But really, it's not like they just appeared out of thin air in this chapter.  Jeez.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2015, 01:42:53 am »
Bern doesn't want to be like them! Does that mean she'll try to escape with Polly? Because if she stays, she WILL become like them!

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2015, 04:34:20 am »
Or she's gonna get out by asking the warden if now that she's A Rank to transfer the rest of her marks to prison. Being fugitive means she'd be chased and such. That said she could probably ask the warden to challenge her fpr the rest of her marks, and given both her new popularity and her power he might be pressured to accept. If some of the strongest got beaten like chumps, it may be better for him in the long run. After a few rounds or her doing mostly guarding, he'd probably transfer her anyway if only to not have severed limbs all over the place.

The sword is not a deus ex machina. It isn't invincible and didn't come out of nowhere.  There are clearly defined traits of the sword, making it likely only as strong as her enemies attacks. If she just swings first, it's a normal sword, as we saw in the fight versus the staff guy. And its of no use if people outflank her and she can't block.

Magical items have traits that doesn't mean they are invincible. I have magical stones in a D&D campaign. They are overpowered, but by no means invincible. They give sorta pack tactics and creation once a day. I set them up in the story as shards of a larger stone which controlled reality. It has drawbacks, like  not being able to work if the party member is hit by a psychic attack (this turn) or while the target is affected by rage, insanity, or fear. It also only activates if the party takes advantage of it, because I seldom remember to apply it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 05:04:18 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 28, 2015, 06:19:59 am »
Bern, this would be a good time to say "STAY DOWN! Keep going the way you are and you WILL DIE as a direct result of your actions. Give up now, and you will get a fight another day. Nothing the Arena has promised you is worth you throwing your lives away."

mittfh

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 28, 2015, 01:45:10 pm »
The way I see it, once this fight is over, it will (a) earn her 'A' rank status, (b) pay a few marks off her sentence, and perhaps crucially (c) enable Warden to put her into battles against the Colesseum's equivalent of Boring Invincible Heroes - after all, they're about 90% offensive measures, while Bern's about 90% defensive measures. It's possible Warden will notice that such a scenario could keep both happy - Bern will be playing by the rules and actively engaged in battles, but she'll still be sticking to her principles and not actively beating them up - rather letting her blades cause their attacks to rebound.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 28, 2015, 08:27:20 pm »
Escape. With Polly. Everyone too scared and stunned to stop the suddenly strong "weakling"... ;D

IronSoul

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2015, 11:41:56 pm »
Escape. With Polly. Everyone too scared and stunned to stop the suddenly strong "weakling"... ;D

No.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2015, 12:33:28 am »

No.
Yes. She stays, she'll end up like them, no matter how much she says she doesn't--or, she'll have to adapt. And I'll modify my stance: why shouldn't  Bern bide her time, THEN escape with Polly? Do you  think she'll be able to keep her integrity? Do any of you? Look at her fallen foes. Look at the carnage. The temptation would be beyond belief for her to be like THEM.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2015, 03:57:34 am »
Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is, not only is she probably playing into their hands (firm resolve is probably where most of these thugs started) but there is nowhere she can go. What, you think leaving the scene will get them to leave her alone? No, they'd send enforcers after her to get her back. And if raw force failed, they might use trickery. Make her think she's safe but they bring the colosseum to her.

I'm not advocating she suck it up and put up with this. I'm saying she request to be taken off fighting duty. It may take a few more of these, but  ironically prison might be her way out. She is a hard worker, and would rather have done that, except Polly thought this was an easy fix. I don't blame Polly though.

The sad truth is that while she probably has leverage and warden could be challenged the same isn't true of Polly. Hell, Bern could probably even challenge the Warden for her freedom (the warden seems smarter than those chumps and might put up a fight). Actually this is what she should do, forgo prison and simply wager her freedom with the warden to get out of here fast. This would not be escaping but winning fair and square.

Unfortunately, Polly has a number of men and women to satisfy, plus more fighting. She'll have to leave Polly behind, at least temporarily in order to see Maytag.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 04:08:22 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2015, 05:28:01 am »
Missing an arm is not enough for Mr. I-beam. He's still going. He must want to die.

Note: Escape is not an option. If Bern escapes, with Polly or without, and the enforcers DON'T, or can't get her, the Phalanx will. She will forever be known as a dangerous, and violent criminal with a propensity for escaping duly authorized punishment.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2015, 05:46:53 am »
Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is, not only is she probably playing into their hands (firm resolve is probably where most of these thugs started) but there is nowhere she can go. What, you think leaving the scene will get them to leave her alone? No, they'd send enforcers after her to get her back. And if raw force failed, they might use trickery. Make her think she's safe but they bring the colosseum to her.

I'm not advocating she suck it up and put up with this. I'm saying she request to be taken off fighting duty. It may take a few more of these, but  ironically prison might be her way out. She is a hard worker, and would rather have done that, except Polly thought this was an easy fix. I don't blame Polly though.

The sad truth is that while she probably has leverage and warden could be challenged the same isn't true of Polly. Hell, Bern could probably even challenge the Warden for her freedom (the warden seems smarter than those chumps and might put up a fight). Actually this is what she should do, forgo prison and simply wager her freedom with the warden to get out of here fast. This would not be escaping but winning fair and square.

Unfortunately, Polly has a number of men and women to satisfy, plus more fighting. She'll have to leave Polly behind, at least temporarily in order to see Maytag.

Nah.  I Believe in Bernadette.. I believe she can make a stand for her beliefs and hold true to them!  She has not killed ANYONE yet... those injured 'can' have those injuries healed with magic.

Yes, this will be a hard road to go.. walking through all the carnage and not being part of it.. there is no doubt it will change Bernadette.. but not the way I think you see it.  I believe it will make her stronger... Even MORE dedicated to her firm beliefs.

... to all you folks complaining about no growth in her character.. well here it is!

Silverdrake

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 30, 2015, 07:16:19 am »

She does not grow.
She does not adapt.

You seem to have a very narrow idea of what reality is, then.

This is where I abandoned the idea I might want to reply to your post.

Life is about change and adaption. The question is according to what values do you do that and this is where it gets really tricky. The problem is that Bernadette refuses to acknowledge that life is about adaption, not according to the values the arena wants or to Pollys or to Warden's or whatever, she refused to acknowledge that at all.

And her strategy is not successful, life destroys Bernadette due to this. Or, it does not destroy it because there are always external sources that pay the prices for her stance. In this way and very meanly formulated: Bernadette is a leech, she is a vampire that lives of the sacrifice of others.

No one demands she debases herself but she maintains her values at the cost of others covering her ass. Over and over again. She's like a child who thinks her way of living is working and ok but neglects that is only because her parents are constantly cleaning up behind her.

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 30, 2015, 12:37:13 pm »
Wow I don't see it like that at all. Let's back up a bit. Bernadette was going to take either option A and B, mutilating herself or whoring herself instead of picking the "easy" option C - only not to torture and kill somebody else. It was Polly who got in the way, nobody asked her to do that - and she made it so that it was impossible for Bernadette to outbid her.

Now about her father... Bernadette is in this crap in the first place because she sacrificed her own freedom to save her father's life. She went to this place for the sword in the first place. I think it is more than perfectly square that her father showed up with the swords.
I really don't see how Bernadette is being a leech...