Author Topic: Chapter 43: Discussion  (Read 82810 times)

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
Chapter 43: Discussion
« on: March 01, 2015, 12:47:56 pm »
This is the thread for discussing chapter 43: The Indomitable Blades Part 2.  Because everyone voted on it!

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chapter 43: Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 04:36:37 am »
OH YEah!!!!  SEXY REDHEAD'S GONNA KICK SOME ASS! :)
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 09:01:40 pm »
WTF?  He swung a I-Beam at her?!?!  lol!  That's not a weapon... it a piece of Real Estate!!!
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Pinkk

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 10:46:13 pm »
First thought: That's no sword.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 05:04:48 am »
WTF?  He swung a I-Beam at her?!?!  lol!  That's not a weapon... it a piece of Real Estate!!!

QFT! When they said he was holding back, they weren't kidding. He's swinging that I-beam like a baseball bat! Bernadette's dodging isn't bad either. She's so fast, she's leaving after-images!

Knite0

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 07:07:54 am »
For some reason I keep thinking that  to motivate her Polly's gonna threaten to kill herself if Bern dies.  Not sure why.

a_sticky_situation

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 08:37:10 am »
For some reason I keep thinking that  to motivate her Polly's gonna threaten to kill herself if Bern dies.  Not sure why.
That is horribly depressing, holy Christ.
This comic is sad enough already.

9_6

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 02:25:11 pm »
You need to draw more action scenes so you get better at drawing action scenes.
Flipside has an explosion-shaped hole to fill.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 04:27:13 am »
Okay, Brion, you're really building up the pessimistic tension here, and have gotten our attention.  ;D What are you aiming to do...?  ???

mittfh

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 05:35:55 am »
Given there are two other opponents in the arena, Bern's best bet would probably be to somehow goad them into attacking each other, so whoever's left after the infighting would be severely weakened both physically and mentally, thus evening out the odds somewhat.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 05:55:50 am »
Bern, this is a really good time to use another fighting style. Too bad you don't have one.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 08:00:31 am »
Actually the way I see it... the problem with 'reach' weapons is.. well their reach!  What Bern needs to do is not stay out of reach... but get VERY close under his reach.  His grip is like 4 feet long ...step in get him to commit with a swing, feint and move up into his face!  Her swords may still block... but it like a lever.. a fulcrum.  The mass of that huge club its all the way out on the other end!  Up close where he is pivoting the weapon to swing it.. the mass is a lot less and as such not all that weight is falling upon her blades should she need to parry.  I say parry not block as she needs only to deflect his blows not really stop them.  A miss, is a miss!

The nasty thing is being that close.. he would have to decide... either move back to swing with some force or try to strike her with the haft of the weapon.. which works in her favor cause all the mass of his huge weapon~ I don't care how fast he moves; is on the other end of the fulcrum!  Bern is not going to have to block THAT mass and it will work against him!  Up that close.. sword-draw cuts can be particularly gruesome and damaging.

Of course this will mean Bern will have to slightly, 'step' out, of Split-Rose~ sort of, to be more aggressive...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:02:32 am by sunphoenix »

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 09:06:51 pm »
She needs to do a Kenshin Himura and jump atop the blade.  ;D

Sunphoenix is right, also, the problem with a heavy weapon like that is that every swing fully commits you to following through so if he swings right, it moves all the way right. Bern doesn't really need to commit, she can bob and weave, feeling him out until she has a good sense of him.

Just hope he doesn't drive her into a corner.

She doesn't necessarily have to be aggressive, so much as face him in a way that isn't head on. Sidestep, and strike so force doesn't matter.

(From Chapter 42)

Going back to my point: How this will be achieved? What must Bern do to reach your point without the martial prowess? These people want blood. They're animals, basically, though the warden is at the least giving Bern a tiny chance. Bern has to win, or at least fight like mad to gain their so-called "respect"...

(Backtracking a bit from the fight proper, but as there's only so much you can say about a giant beam of metal) While we're talking about proving herself... why does she need to prove anything to these jerks? She doesn't know them, she doesn't identify with them (dyed-in-the-wool pacifist, and the "fans" are all bloodcrazed), and couldn't care less if they are impressed with her, she just wants to get out of here alive.

She went out with the intention of saving a loved one. Got no help (on the contrary everywhere she went, people demanded money and resources she didn't have) until finally frustrated she's like "look, do it or else", so she got jailed.

Someone criticized her for letting Polly take 10x. Ummm, yea, not much she could do to stop her. She was emotionally pushed into a wall. She had three or four monstrous choices, and by the time she got around to choosing, her friend takes that away from her. And if she tried to take responsibility, her friend basically told her "nuh huh, whatever you do, I'll outbid you, so you're just hurting me." So yea, she's in a situation, where she can't seem to push out, and now she's in a battle where she doesn't see an opening.  That she's even in this battle and doesn't say "forget it, keep me in here forever, I'm not fighting" takes some nerve. But unless she can find some gap in her enemies or in this situation, she's pretty screwed. It was good that she managed to get those swords, even if it wasn't her doing.

Basically, she needs breathing room what she can just look at the issue of how to counter this fighter, and bounce back from all of this.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:43:20 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

Silverdrake

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 10:37:29 pm »
Ok, this is going in a direction I feared.

Polly took away all options Bernadette had to get a grimmer look on fate, one she needs in really close, serious situations. Something that makes Bernadette notice she cannot fix eveything with being nice, something that makes her see that as a fighter, the world can be really brutal. Something that hurts her, but does not maims and kills her. Polly took that away. This was discussed.

Right now there is only one thing left Polly can do so Bernadette learns what the Warden offered her. She can die.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 05:59:04 am »
And the warden has (perhaps wisely) chained up Polly so she doesn't interfere.

So it looks like Bern doesn't even get to have these guys trip each other up as she's forced to fight them one at a time.

Oh boy, she's in serious trouble. This is even worse than her fight in the castle, because her opponent's advantage there was a magic stick. This guy is that strong, if not stronger, and there's no magic for her to break.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 06:36:55 am »
LOLS! You think he is solely swinging that I-Beam Without magic? :)

Silverdrake

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 11:30:24 am »
Warden is going to kick Polly in at the right moment.

Warden knows Bernadette is very srong but thinks she can get out without taking risks - in body as well as in morals. This is what this is about: Bernadette has to learn she will not make it out whole, body as well as her conscience are going to be tarnished, a warrior cannot be "nice". Polly took away that lesson from Bernadette and now her death (clubbed to death) will need to teach Bernadette the lesson she needs to survive this.

Go forward. Risk. Risk your body. Riks your conscience. You will not make it intact. If you want to fight - you will get your hands and soul bloody. You cannot stand there, be nice, be passive, pretend you are better. Maybe you are better - but this is not a normal job. This job costs at the high end. So far Bernadette did not face this, her whole fighting style reflects this lack of facting the nasty truth that the life of a fighter is not one of happiniess and innocence.

Chnmmr

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 03:11:12 pm »
You might have something there, maybe the Warden has an inkling as to what the swords can do and wants to force Bern into a position where she -must- block or Polly gets squished?  Would also be a situation where Bern could discover what the swords do together as a pair.

mittfh

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 04:17:12 pm »
Just thought: getting up close and personal to him not only would render him unable to use his huge swords but severely limit the ability of her to use her swords, thus reducing them to fisticuffs - where he'd probably have an advantage. However, if she kept her swords and angled down, if she got close enough she could potentially give him an orchidectomy and/or a penectomy...

...that is, assuming him holding his weapon above his head isn't a trigger for some other type of attack...

Silverdrake

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 12:56:24 am »
You might have something there, maybe the Warden has an inkling as to what the swords can do and wants to force Bern into a position where she -must- block or Polly gets squished?  Would also be a situation where Bern could discover what the swords do together as a pair.

My theory is that the Warden recognised Bernadettes ability, but also her weakness: Innocence.

Bernadette lives the live of a fighter, but has found a way to maintain her innocence in it. She has a code that goes way beyond a usual Knight's Code of Honor, she is basically a pacifist with swords.
Her entire fighting technique reflects that. Be passive. Be evasive. Do not risk. Do not become guilty.

But if you are against a foe you cannot win othervise, you must risk. You must seize a moment. In the right moment, in that split second, you do not need to be innocent, passive, concerned, you must act, dash forward, take the price. Shut out the thoughts and the concerns, shut out passivity. It is impossible for Bernadette to do that, she rests in herself - this is good, but not for a fighter.

But as I said it goes beyond this: with her style Bernadette also does not risk to become "guilty" in any way. She does not risk having to kill a feo. She fights, but the killing? That do others, people who fight with her and are more rash. She does not risk doing something morally questionable, does the other person deserve death, no matter this fight? Maybe, maybe not. Bernadette has no problem, she stays back.
To use something visual: In her profession she might get literally her hands bloody but her whole fighting style is there to minimise the chance to metaphorically get her hands bloody (funny inversion of how it usually goes).

If Bernadette wants to unlock her maximum potential - and thus her ability to survive as much as she can; something she needs here in this arena - she somehow has to lose a part of that innocence. She has to understand she won't make it with her full conscience intact, that while she is a good person, she has to do bad things if her profession is a fighter and if she wants to survive.

Warden offers her that before she puts her in a fight where she a) needs to use it for b) the price to have a perspective to get out of the arena.
Polly takes away all offers from Warden. The offers all have one thing in common (as was pointed out already): they make Bernadette suffer through unfair hardship without killing her. In short: They take a part of innocence and leave a black mark where it was, so Bernadette must come to peace with that black mark. This can then fuel the power she needs for her chosen profession.
Polly gets Bernadette into the arena without all that.

What is left here where Bernadette can "suffer, but not death. Lose something that leaves a black mark on her soul". There is only one thing left. Polly.

I think this is at least what Warden thinks and I find it possible that when Warden starts talking next she will make Polly understand, which leads to Polly "doing all she has to do protect Bernadette". She'll dash in a sacrifice herself. Being killed in those cirumstances? Yes, totally is on par with the options that were offered to Bernadette.

9_6

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 03:29:44 am »
Did we establish that bern "can't be beat" in a duel outside of book 0 where she was kind of a mary sue?
All I remember is her constantly getting her teeth kicked in by slashy mc crazypants, bloody mary, pokey stick man and the warden.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 03:38:41 am by 9_6 »

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 05:09:31 am »

My theory is that the Warden recognised Bernadettes ability, but also her weakness: Innocence.

Bernadette lives the live of a fighter, but has found a way to maintain her innocence in it. She has a code that goes way beyond a usual Knight's Code of Honor, she is basically a pacifist with swords.
Her entire fighting technique reflects that. Be passive. Be evasive. Do not risk. Do not become guilty.

But if you are against a foe you cannot win othervise, you must risk. You must seize a moment. In the right moment, in that split second, you do not need to be innocent, passive, concerned, you must act, dash forward, take the price. Shut out the thoughts and the concerns, shut out passivity. It is impossible for Bernadette to do that, she rests in herself - this is good, but not for a fighter.

But as I said it goes beyond this: with her style Bernadette also does not risk to become "guilty" in any way. She does not risk having to kill a feo. She fights, but the killing? That do others, people who fight with her and are more rash. She does not risk doing something morally questionable, does the other person deserve death, no matter this fight? Maybe, maybe not. Bernadette has no problem, she stays back.
To use something visual: In her profession she might get literally her hands bloody but her whole fighting style is there to minimise the chance to metaphorically get her hands bloody (funny inversion of how it usually goes).

If Bernadette wants to unlock her maximum potential - and thus her ability to survive as much as she can; something she needs here in this arena - she somehow has to lose a part of that innocence. She has to understand she won't make it with her full conscience intact, that while she is a good person, she has to do bad things if her profession is a fighter and if she wants to survive.

Warden offers her that before she puts her in a fight where she a) needs to use it for b) the price to have a perspective to get out of the arena.
Polly takes away all offers from Warden. The offers all have one thing in common (as was pointed out already): they make Bernadette suffer through unfair hardship without killing her. In short: They take a part of innocence and leave a black mark where it was, so Bernadette must come to peace with that black mark. This can then fuel the power she needs for her chosen profession.

What is left here where Bernadette can "suffer, but not death. Lose something that leaves a black mark on her soul". There is only one thing left. Polly.

I think this is at least what Warden thinks and I find it possible that when Warden starts talking next she will make Polly understand, which leads to Polly "doing all she has to do protect Bernadette". She'll dash in a sacrifice herself. Being killed in those cirumstances? Yes, totally is on par with the options that were offered to Bernadette.

I can't read all of this because I'm on a touchphone and the superbig keyboard and supersmall lettering is eating the page.

You guys all agree that innocence is a weakness. Okay, story time.

This reminds me of something my dad told me about his father in law. Much like the song Rude, he wanted the daddy's blessings. Her dad however dismissed him as someone who was a "dreamer" who didn't know about how life could be cruel (my mom basically worked herself through college, probably because he was a jerk and wouldn't pay). Trust me, he knew, he even told me as much.  I know. All of us know. But... unlike this (ahem, a-hole) he seemed to know that life could be better. He wanted to be a priest because he wanted to work for a better world. A world where people Didn't Have to bloody their hands on a regular basis.

Bern didn't just choose  this path because it was easy. In fact, she was willing to break even her vow of fidelity (yes, reread the comic, bern and may swore they wouldn't cheat on each other, meaning the one option that she could pick was B, not A). She willingly gave up her dream as a knight btw, so the whole safety and innocence bit is not really valid (I dunno if you mentioned safety, but you seem to be under the impression that her life until now has been soft choices). Bern would want a world where Polly doesn't have to go through what she's about to. But she does. The one thing she can do for Polly is keep her request to not sink to the level of these people. She doesn't need a lesson in brutality, in fact she'd rather die a hundred times over than become the sort of crazed person the crowd and her target seems to be. If you think she's weak for that, well... can't say much to you.

Bern has not given up, she is still fighting, as a knight, not a common fighter. She's studying her opponents, and if she can win, she will. That said, this big overhead swing looks a bit ominous.
—Edward D. Morrison

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 05:21:44 am »
And the narration confirms it. Going in during an opening NORMALLY is the right course of action, but this lug was luring Bern into close combat. Hanging back and waiting for him to get tired swinging that I-beam would be ideal, however....

HE'S GOING TO THROW THAT THING!

Or worse, he calls in his two buddies, and they don't give Bern room to maneuver.

Silverdrake

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 02:55:35 pm »

I can't read all of this because I'm on a touchphone and the superbig keyboard and supersmall lettering is eating the page.

You guys all agree that innocence is a weakness. Okay, story time.

This reminds me of something my dad told me about his father in law. Much like the song Rude, he wanted the daddy's blessings. Her dad however dismissed him as someone who was a "dreamer" who didn't know about how life could be cruel (my mom basically worked herself through college, probably because he was a jerk and wouldn't pay). Trust me, he knew, he even told me as much.  I know. All of us know. But... unlike this (ahem, a-hole) he seemed to know that life could be better. He wanted to be a priest because he wanted to work for a better world. A world where people Didn't Have to bloody their hands on a regular basis.

Bern didn't just choose  this path because it was easy. In fact, she was willing to break even her vow of fidelity (yes, reread the comic, bern and may swore they wouldn't cheat on each other, meaning the one option that she could pick was B, not A). She willingly gave up her dream as a knight btw, so the whole safety and innocence bit is not really valid (I dunno if you mentioned safety, but you seem to be under the impression that her life until now has been soft choices). Bern would want a world where Polly doesn't have to go through what she's about to. But she does. The one thing she can do for Polly is keep her request to not sink to the level of these people. She doesn't need a lesson in brutality, in fact she'd rather die a hundred times over than become the sort of crazed person the crowd and her target seems to be. If you think she's weak for that, well... can't say much to you.

Bern has not given up, she is still fighting, as a knight, not a common fighter. She's studying her opponents, and if she can win, she will. That said, this big overhead swing looks a bit ominous.

You are wrong if you think that we consider "innocence" to be a "weakness". You are dead wrong. It is not.

But if you want to be a warrior - it is. To pick up your example: Bernadette did not become a priest. She become a warrior. She did not become a farmer, living a normal life. She became a warrior.

She chose a bloody profession but is not able to admit that. It is not about innocence in general, it is about her not getting what life she chose and what that might take from her. She beliefs she can "get through" and she is right - unless she ends up in a really, really bad situation. An exceptional one with no way out but to fight with her whole being, at all costs. Such a situation is just where she ended up and she better starts to realise that that if she wanted to maintain her innocence and not be forced to do "bad things" she has picked the wrong life.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:57:46 pm by Silverdrake »

9_6

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 10:41:24 pm »
On another note, what on earth does, say, a baker get for minor transgressions?
Cause if you can't fight, there only seems to be death by torture for which the bar is set as low as threatening someone.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:43:30 pm by 9_6 »

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 09:12:00 pm »
Oh my.  :o Thanks for pointing that out (well, there's also imprisonment).
And remember, Polly decided that only violent insane people would choose torture.

She's not a warrior though. She's a would-be knight.

The D&D equivalent of what this group is, would be closer in terms of code of conduct to paladins (you saw how her superiors basically flipped out about her being lesbian). Rigorous moral standard, and so on, and so on. Let's say she did get it together, and plowed through doing whatever would let her win at all costs. What would someone with her temperament do? Commit suicide. Immediately. Forget being a lesbian, doing something that would disgrace who she was, yeah pretty much be unable to handle the day to day if she did keep alive. You think she's bad right now? Let's say she ummm went crazy berserk and tore them apart? Would she trust herself to get near another soul again? Nah, more likely she'd just stick herself in a corner and talk to herself or something, being frightened literally of her shadow.

(This movie preview from about 1:10 onward)

At the end of the day, Bern needs to be able to live with herself.

She needs to fight, yes. But she needs to fight cleaner and better than her opponents, to fight as she is. Basically, make them look like complete chumps without killing them. Which, as hard as this situation is, is even harder. That doesn't mean she can't do some "disarming" though.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:39:18 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 06:11:29 am »
Cause if you can't fight, there only seems to be death by torture for which the bar is set as low as threatening someone.

There are, in fact, three options for your penance.

1.) Gladiatorial combat, as seen here. IDEALLY, it's the quickest way to pay off big "marks." Although there are hidden rules that may make it longer, and more dangerous than the others.

2.) Flogging. One mark removed per mark of the lash. Normally reserved for those who are both exceptionally stupid and exceptionally violent to remove them from the gene pool, and eliminate their menace to society.

3.) Dungeon. You get thrown into a cell and get one mark removed per week's stay. Usually the best option for non-combatants, or those with low marks. You'd think this would be the longest, and most dreadful, but if you're in Bern's situation, where you've not only got a high number of marks, but have pissed off the entire arena, audience, gladiators, warden, and manager, have a low rank, and have gotten to the point that even penalties assigned to prevent you from being killed are removed, the dungeon starts looking pretty good. Especially if you're denied fights which is what allows you to remove marks in the gladiatorial combat option.

Edit for new update: Holy crap, as if swinging an I-beam around like a swashbuckler wasn't enough, it's an ENCHANTED I-beam too?! Sheesh! There's overbearing, and then there's freaking ridiculous. This is entering Freaking Ridiculous territory, and even if Bern somehow beats this guy, she's STILL got to face two others that are likely just as hard if not worse, AND in completely different ways.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:22:15 am by Azure Priest »

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 06:15:38 pm »
Did somewhere it get mentioned that Bern's swords together are anti-magical?

If so.. what do you think will happen to his arms if she we to parry  'not block' on of those swings in mid-swing to suddenly make his I-Beam.. non-magical?  The weapon is still the mass it is.. and when it suddenly an effectively inertialess weapon... has its full inertia restored in an instant...

Normally big-guy does not have the strength...hell no mortal has the strength to swing the I-Beam that fast; but picture pushing a car into a person with your own strength... cars are heavy so it only likely going to bump them.. because you can't get the mass of it moving or swinging in the 'big-guys' case so fast with your own muscles.  But what if you could get it moving say 60mph on your own cause its inertia was negated.. yeah it would hit with devastating impact!

My point is what would happen to your arms if suddenly You swinging a 5 ton vehicle at 60 mph ... an impossible feat of strength as the vehicle's mass is weightless for you..but suddenly that was negated in mid-push/swing?  All that inertia would Energy = Mass x C{Squared}... on your arms...

You arms would either be pulverized to a thin paste or ripped from your body by the inertia of the swing/push.  Like grabbing a firm grip on a car traveling 60mph with your hands while you yourself are stationary.. ouch.. lost fingers at the very minimum!

It will be interesting to see if the anti-magical bane weapons what effects they will have on all these uber-enchanted warriors?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:17:24 pm by sunphoenix »

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 08:46:53 pm »

Keep in mind that Marvallo only has one law: no force.  This usually translates to no violence.  For minor transgressions, like say getting into a bar fight or something, you might get a small amount of marks.

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 09:42:02 pm »
You arms would either be pulverized to a thin paste or ripped from your body by the inertia of the swing/push.  Like grabbing a firm grip on a car traveling 60mph with your hands while you yourself are stationary.. ouch.. lost fingers at the very minimum!

Yeah it seems like you found the way to beat him! but I think if it suddenly became weightless it would just fly out of his hands, ie. his grip would give way before his flesh tore or anything...unless it's strapped to him somehow.