Author Topic: Chapter 43: Discussion  (Read 82770 times)

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chapter 43: Discussion
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2015, 07:42:26 am »
Bit high on the speedlines there but I can see weight in that attack. Nice improvement.
Nothing else much to say about this page.

No.. I don't think so.  I'm a 'amateur' swordsman and when someone keeps making the same series of swings against your clearly superior defenses and makes no attempt to change their approach of attack... I've been taught you let them do it and set up to do a lethal series of return counterstrikes.  WHICH is exactly what Bern is about to do or IS doing on today's page!

Split Rose is supposed to be a VERY good style for that type of... 'bait foe to attack and when they do... gut them!'

"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

9_6

« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2015, 08:45:46 am »
No.. I don't think so.  I'm a 'amateur' swordsman and when someone keeps making the same series of swings against your clearly superior defenses and makes no attempt to change their approach of attack... I've been taught you let them do it and set up to do a lethal series of return counterstrikes.  WHICH is exactly what Bern is about to do or IS doing on today's page!

Split Rose is supposed to be a VERY good style for that type of... 'bait foe to attack and when they do... gut them!'

Yeah, well, that's kinda hard to read out of the comic. There's not that much nuance illustrated in terms of actual, realistic fighting techniques.
You practice swordfighting, you also know that large, easy to read swings you keep seeing in movies and games are a no-go and that includes 2 handed swords.
You want to be hard to read, present very little vulnerable surface which unfortunately also looks a lot less spectacular.

I guess it's fair to just assume that beambro is a seasoned veteran and wouldn't do such a rookie mistake just like we just accept that the "split rose" is the "ultimate defense technique" even though it probably doesn't make much sense in a real fight in which lots of sword "clang clang" never really happens.
This is viewed through the lense of someone lacking actual swordfighting experience after all and fighting isn't the focus of flipside anyway (although that doesn't mean an improvement illustrating it isn't welcome).
Let's not forget that.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:58:13 am by 9_6 »

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2015, 12:54:11 pm »
Well... there IS a role for telegraphed, clearly readable moves... if one is cunning and skillful enough with swordfighting.

Case in point.. My teacher and I got toa point we could spar full contact full speed with our practice bokkens.  The one time.. the ONLY time I ever bested him was when I intentionally did what I-Beam boy did here.. I telegraphed an exaggerated high over-hand swing.. easily blocked... but that was my plan.  Sure enough my teacher gave me a slight quizical look that turned to stunned surprise as he blocked high, too high.. which then I drew my bokken down his 'blade' and poked him in the ribbs under his defenses cause his 'blade' was too high to stop my thrust from the baiting attack that was actually a feinted thrust.

:)  That was NOT a move or technique he had taught me.  And with a smile he told me I had mastered all he could teach me and that anything new I would learn.. would be my own style and techniques.

So yes.. there is a place for telegraphed moves in swordfighting.. but on the whole you are correct.. you do not want your opponent being able to anticipate your moves.. or you will be set up for a counterstrike.. your not ready to parry.

I haven't of late taken time to 'talk' with my sword in practice.. but I remember my teacher's lessons well.

:( My teacher does not practice the art of the blade anymore.. on account he .. in self-defense killed an mugger years ago when he was working a courier job in down town Indianapolis.  He.. did not mean to kill the young man.. but he was not alone.. also 'strangely' enough there were two other attackers with him.  They were armed with knife, baseball bat and one of them wore cleets.  My teacher fought them off breaking the knife wielder's tibbia in his arm ... but the one he killed wielding a baseball bat he parried twice ...set him up for a return counterstrike with a reverse high block.. then struck him twice once on each side of his head.. one broke his jaw.. the other rendered him unconscious.  Three days latter we learned he died due to complications from the concussion.

My teacher had a real sword.. sharpened sword in the window of his truck and a 'baby' Eagle 9mm Automatic in his fanny pack... but his practice bokken was in the seat.. he grabbed that instead.

After he learned of the young man's death.. he sold his swords and his guns and never touched them again.  I can't say I .. disagree or totally approve with his choice.. but I respect it. 

Though I do miss terribly our sparring sessions sometimes, I have NEVER forgotten that what I know about wielding a sword.. can and is meant for killing~ my teacher always stressed I respect the art!  It is not a game or a toy to play with.  I fortunately have never had to wield my skills to protect my life or the lives of others.. but I'm confident.. I could do so.

I have taught the daughter of a Very close friend of mine the techniques I was taught.  She is very smart and VERY mature.. and .. before the death.. my teacher had asked if I find someone who is mature enough and respects the art.. that I should pass on what I know.

I'm glad I got the chance to do so.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:15:38 pm by sunphoenix »
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2015, 07:43:28 am »
I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that Bern appears to have to go through basically no character growth so far. She just sort of gets handed magic weapons that will let her win the fight.

I'm reserving total judgement until I see how this plays out, but I think this particular arc has left a lot to be desired so far.

I remember in college, a guy from my drama class was convinced that if a character wasn't completely different, the writer hadn't done their job. I wasn't sure I agreed. Now I know I don't.

A character can be made one-dimensional (that character is "evil/good", that character is their job title like a guard or smith, that character is pretty/ugly, basically they can be summed up in a single word) or flat, two-dimensional or have personality (basically you choose a list of traits, and the character is basically the sum of their traits), or three-dimensional (they act like a real person you would meet on the street rather than a persona, they have flaws, they have pain, they may have addictions or moments of darkness) and "well-rounded". Now, being one-dimensional isn't always a bad thing provided the character is minor, likewise, a story is said to be really good if minor characters are at least two dimensional. Likewise, unless you are doing a melodrama, the hero of the story should not come across as one-dimensional, as people will accuse you of bad writing.

Among fully fleshed out characters, there are two distinct and equally valuable character types. The static character and the dynamic character.

The static character, despite their name, actually can undergo character development along the course of the series, but they tend not to. That is, a static character has character development as an optional feature. Bern is a static character. A good example of this tye would be Naruto, he spends over half the show talking about how he won't take back his words, that is his ninja way. Character development on his part is extremely subtle, and he simply adds character rather than changing any of his current ways (he still won't do this or that because of his ninja way, but gradually learns to trust his comrades and not try to do everything himself).

The dynamic character, undergoes character development frequently, changing gradually from one person to another. They are not afraid to let go things that aren't working for them, and massively revamp their personality. Maytag is a good example as she started out deadpan, and then became the mask, and is expected to change even more. A good anime example of this  is Luke from Tales of the Abyss, starting out as a nice jerk, becoming just a jerk, realizing the error of his ways, then he finds out he's a clone, then gradually becomes a proper hero.

I guess it's fair to just assume that beambro is a seasoned veteran and wouldn't do such a rookie mistake just like we just accept that the "split rose" is the "ultimate defense technique" even though it probably doesn't make much sense in a real fight in which lots of sword "clang clang" never really happens.

Do we in fact know this? Maybe he's a person who has gotten by on a heavy weapon and using gravity-self magic. Sort of like if you have wolverine-style healing, and something hits you that can't be healed, you wouldn't normally be good at dodging, because you would be expecting to shrug it off (wolverine, oddly enough being an exception, because despite being night-immortal is also a seasoned fighter). Bern on the other hand, has had plenty of experience in all types of combat, and knows when to get out of the way and when to try to block. She uses a style that requires studying the enemy rather than just slashing people down. It seems to me, that she is the seasoned warrior, he's just a big thug with a big sword. Especially given that his attacks leave openings all over the place, and after being blocked, his first instinct is to just do a big overwhelming downswing. Oh yea, the other stuff worked so well, let's try the same tactic. If he was a seasoned warrior, he would try to disrupt her balance by attacking the ground or something (we know the sword can disrupt direct attacks, but maybe not shock waves or indirect stuff).

I was thinking this as well, but the problem is, that sword isn't a tiny bokken, so any feint would require teamwork with the others.
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2015, 01:22:14 am »
The only reason Bern's not moving is that she's being held in place by Mr. "Sand Magic." Otherwise, your analysis is quite accurate. Bern needs to do something though if she doesn't want to be tied up by Ms "Combat Yoyo" like a thanksgiving turkey full of stuffing.

9_6

« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2015, 09:12:14 am »

Do we in fact know this? Maybe he's a person who has gotten by on a heavy weapon and using gravity-self magic. Sort of like if you have wolverine-style healing, and something hits you that can't be healed, you wouldn't normally be good at dodging, because you would be expecting to shrug it off (wolverine, oddly enough being an exception, because despite being night-immortal is also a seasoned fighter).

You think that's all it takes to be way too badass for A-rank? A big stick?
If so, mostly everyone in S-rank is fucked sideways when facing berns no-nonsense swords.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2015, 01:41:32 am »
YES!! Bern obliterates the Big Guy's weapon! Wonder what everybody's thinking now? The warden will probably cock a cool eyebrow while Polly flips out with joy. And please take note that Bern's ankle is now free. I guess even the old dude that held her got the message, too... ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:44:43 am by SAGG »

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2015, 05:48:27 am »

Do we in fact know this? Maybe he's a person who has gotten by on a heavy weapon and using gravity-self magic. Sort of like if you have wolverine-style healing, and something hits you that can't be healed, you wouldn't normally be good at dodging, because you would be expecting to shrug it off (wolverine, oddly enough being an exception, because despite being night-immortal is also a seasoned fighter).

You think that's all it takes to be way too badass for A-rank? A big stick?
If so, mostly everyone in S-rank is fucked sideways when facing berns no-nonsense swords.

He's A rank because he doesn't have enough control or finesse. He has enough strength and brute force for S-rank, but if he actually wields it, he would kill his opponent.... except now that Bern has the swords of Split Rose.

Oh, yeah, way to completely smash that I-beam Bern, and yes, it's an I-beam. It has an "I" cross section but a piece of metal welded over the end to make it look like a club. Everyone must be going WTF!

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2015, 05:59:20 am »
HA! SPECTACULAR!  Wish it was in color... 'Bernadette~ Indomitable!'

"We can't afford to be innocent."
"Stand up and face it~ Its the enemy!"

"Its a do or die situation!"
"We Will BE INVINCIBLE!"

"And with the Power of Conviction,
"There is no sacrifice!"

"Its a do or die situation!"
"WE WILL BE INVINCIBLE!"

:)

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2015, 06:08:13 am »
Linked so I don't have to go back and forth.

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=2515

Why is the sword splitting like it's made of stone? It sorta reminds me of working backstage in theatre where something is painted to look like wood but is actually foam. (Hint: stone smashes into blocks when cut by something sharp, metal and glass tend to form jagged edges)

He's A rank because he doesn't have enough control or finesse. He has enough strength and brute force for S-rank, but if he actually wields it, he would kill his opponent.... except now that Bern has the swords of Split Rose.

I suspect he's also A/S rank because he's a brute without a weapon. In all likelihood, holding back means he normally fights sans I-beam. He can probably do the same thing with his bare fists to lesser extent, make a heavy/light punch.  That said, he'd probably have a better chance trying to punch her as himself instead of relying on magic to boost him. But he strikes me as an idiot so I suspect this won't dawn on him.

I suspect at least a panel next comic of complete and utter shock.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:14:24 am by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

9_6

« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2015, 06:11:27 am »
Oh, you did an anticipation thing and it worked.
Good job. Nice flow.
Where did old mans grabby hand go and what did yoyo girl do meanwhile though?
Looks like "sit around and wait patiently" is their jam after all so far.

Why is the sword splitting like it's made of stone?
Maybe an extremely hard and therefore brittle metal alloy with low bendiness.
Or it may just be stone after all. It being metal is just our assumption and not stated anywhere in the comic or is it?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:19:02 am by 9_6 »

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2015, 06:19:21 am »
I also think about now (after he gets up from getting thrown across the room when she pushed forward and sliced his sword), they'll probably switch to a gang-up approach. Him trying to brawl punch her, the others lobbing various types of magic. I assume with her name being Blue Fire she has something more in her bag of tricks than just the rope stuff.
—Edward D. Morrison

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2015, 09:45:22 am »
Pg 18..HOLY SCREAMING HORESHIT! :o

Enkida

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
    • Baldur's Gate Portraits
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2015, 10:40:06 am »
Being the intellectually deep and thoughtful poster that I am, I just want to say of page 18: that flat chested long haired supermodel in a gladiatorial bikini is my favourite type of eye candy.  I didn't actually notice Beambro being neutered until I read this thread.  Too busy looking at Bern's runway body there, oops.

*coughs and waves all the debaters back in*

ps. also
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:43:42 am by Enkida »
2 kids = no more comics, but you can still find me doing BG portraits now and then

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2015, 11:43:49 am »
LOL! Milla Jovovich for a live action Bernadette! HA! :)

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2015, 07:23:42 pm »
Oh, yeah, way to completely smash that I-beam Bern, and yes, it's an I-beam. It has an "I" cross section but a piece of metal welded over the end to make it look like a club.
Surely thou jest. In reality it was nearly square (rounded corners) but for having four slight indentations, one along each side. It was also consistently this way, and not merely modified on the end. There's no reason he'd have started with an I-beam (which is only symmetrical in two rotations, 0 and 180 degrees, rather than the four, 0/90/180/270 degrees, of this ex-weapon), nor really any reason that I-beams would be much of a thing in Flipside's world, for all we know.

Smiles

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Easter is gonna be great!Heard he will Rise Again!
    • View Profile
    • AnimeCentral
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2015, 12:18:44 am »
Huzzah! now its a matter of who will attack next.... or maybe all at the same time. :D
Just loving it! :-*
let's sit and chat a while and see if I don't make you smile .;)

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2015, 05:11:59 am »
Oh, yeah, way to completely smash that I-beam Bern, and yes, it's an I-beam. It has an "I" cross section but a piece of metal welded over the end to make it look like a club.
Surely thou jest. In reality it was nearly square (rounded corners) but for having four slight indentations, one along each side. It was also consistently this way, and not merely modified on the end. There's no reason he'd have started with an I-beam (which is only symmetrical in two rotations, 0 and 180 degrees, rather than the four, 0/90/180/270 degrees, of this ex-weapon), nor really any reason that I-beams would be much of a thing in Flipside's world, for all we know.

If you look more closely at the debris of that weapon, you will see various pieces all wearing the iconic "I" cross section.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2015, 06:25:12 am »
Wait, isn't an I-beam this?

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=2481

That is pretty clearly not an I-beam.
—Edward D. Morrison

9_6

« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2015, 07:24:46 am »
Maybe if it is an apple product...

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2015, 05:36:21 pm »

If you look more closely at the debris of that weapon, you will see various pieces all wearing the iconic "I" cross section.
I suggest that you quickly go through the chapter and make note of the symmetric four-sided nature of the weapon. Also, when it was turned into chunks the depth of the indentations doesn't resemble bulmabriefs144's picture of an I-beam well at all, so there's no page I'm aware of that supports your conclusion very well.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2015, 07:40:34 pm »

I suggest that you quickly go through the chapter and make note of the symmetric four-sided nature of the weapon. Also, when it was turned into chunks the depth of the indentations doesn't resemble bulmabriefs144's picture of an I-beam well at all, so there's no page I'm aware of that supports your conclusion very well.

FOR THE RECORD... I'm the one who called his weapon an "I-Beam"... it was not meant to be descriptive.. merely pejorative in a 'tongue-in-cheek' fashion.  So ....Please stop arguing about it!  I meant it in jest. :)

Keneto

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2015, 07:50:31 am »
I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that Bern appears to have to go through basically no character growth so far. She just sort of gets handed magic weapons that will let her win the fight.

I'm reserving total judgement until I see how this plays out, but I think this particular arc has left a lot to be desired so far.

Yes. Deus ex machina to the rescue here. Bern, through no striving/skill/ability of her own, escapes a dire situation. It's David and Goliath except no one warned Goliath that David is carrying a machine gun.

Hopefully Bern gets rid of this guy quickly so we can get back to Maytag (who is using her own abilities, by the way)

Chnmmr

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2015, 10:24:17 am »
And BOOM that's what we were waiting for.  As for Bern getting no character development, she has had tons.  She's being forced to go against her very nature as a pacifist and kill/maim to save not only herself but her friend.  She's also having to accept magic as a source of her current strength.  This is the perfect kind of development for Bern's character.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2015, 11:58:55 am »
And BOOM that's what we were waiting for.  As for Bern getting no character development, she has had tons.  She's being forced to go against her very nature as a pacifist and kill/maim to save not only herself but her friend.  She's also having to accept magic as a source of her current strength.  This is the perfect kind of development for Bern's character.

I agree for this reason and several others that have been hit upon.  I do, however, NOT think this match with the other two is  'won' already.  Brute force may not work on Bern's invincible blades.. but there are MANY ways around the 'blade'.. the other two should be interesting fights.. as they will also have to 'dig-deep' to fight in new and unorthodox ways.

ducky_worshiper

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2015, 02:07:08 pm »
To be entirely fair, she's neither killed nor maimed anyone. She also accepted using the magic blades a long time ago when she originally began searching for its partner.

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2015, 06:22:57 pm »

I agree for this reason and several others that have been hit upon.  I do, however, NOT think this match with the other two is  'won' already.  Brute force may not work on Bern's invincible blades.. but there are MANY ways around the 'blade'.. the other two should be interesting fights.. as they will also have to 'dig-deep' to fight in new and unorthodox ways.

Classically, the way to counter antimagic is to alter the environment around them. A direct attack can be negated, but heating up the air, or removing the land via earthquake means things get uncomfy for the person, and they might be defeated anyway from stuff just being generally unpleasant.

She just sliced chunks of flesh though.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:26:14 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
—Edward D. Morrison

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2015, 12:23:14 am »
ALRIGHT,  BERN!!  ;D

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2015, 05:08:39 am »

Classically, the way to counter antimagic is to alter the environment around them. A direct attack can be negated, but heating up the air, or removing the land via earthquake means things get uncomfy for the person, and they might be defeated anyway from stuff just being generally unpleasant.

Actually, it looks like his injuries are the result of his own weapon's shrapnel when Bern blew it up. (Look at all those strange cross sections.)

We've already seen that attacks which don't connect with the blades themselves are still effective. Mr. "Sandman" could, and did grab her leg and push her down. If Ms. Magic Yoyo were to tie Bern up, Bern could be disarmed and rendered helpless very quickly. Unfortunately for them, it seems their strategy was "keep her busy until Mr. I-Beam crushes her into paste." With him out of the picture, they'd better start thinking, and fast because now that Bern knows she CAN win, she's getting angry, very angry.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2015, 03:10:13 pm »

Actually, it looks like his injuries are the result of his own weapon's shrapnel when Bern blew it up. (Look at all those strange cross sections.)

We've already seen that attacks which don't connect with the blades themselves are still effective. Mr. "Sandman" could, and did grab her leg and push her down. If Ms. Magic Yoyo were to tie Bern up, Bern could be disarmed and rendered helpless very quickly. Unfortunately for them, it seems their strategy was "keep her busy until Mr. I-Beam crushes her into paste." With him out of the picture, they'd better start thinking, and fast because now that Bern knows she CAN win, she's getting angry, very angry.

That about sums it up. It looks like now they're beginning to panic because Bern's blocking their beams off. Just thought about something else: If Bern's successful beating the other two, would she then take on the warden? Would the warden fight her, seeing how powerful those swords are? Perhaps the warden might use Polly as a bargaining chip to force Bern to surrender?  ???