Author Topic: Brion's DND Livestream  (Read 15958 times)

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
Brion's DND Livestream
« on: March 07, 2010, 08:41:49 pm »
So, we've posted a couple of livestreams of our DND games now.  Some people were interested in some of the details of our game, so I thought I would go ahead and post about it for those who are curious.  For those who are not curious, please don't check it out... you'll be bored.

Here's a rundown of the players and the character classes they are playing:

Jennifer: "Shard."  Mentalist.
Heather: "Featherae."  Alchemist. 
Tetsuya: "Azma."  Rune Soldier. 
Phil: "Phil."  Necromancer.
Christie: "Varushka."  Street Fighter.

I pretty much wanted all custom classes in our game because I find normal DND classes too old-fashioned.  Also, only humans allowed in our campaign, no other races exist.  As for what system we are using, we started out using a modified version of 3.5.  Although we are basically using those core rules, I simplified some things, like we got rid of grapples and attacks of opportunity.  All of the classes were made up by me with input from the players; I made up all there abilities and spells and whatnot.  I don't use any monsters from the manual... in fact, I rarely touched the manual and at this point in the game I have changed so many of the rules that the manual is now collecting dust.

Here's a quick summary of the storyline for the game.  It starts out in a typical DND fantasy world, which just happens to have a huge tower at it's center.  The players start out hunting a thief, but when they find him in a cave he shows them his true form which happens to be a demon.  The players barely manage to kill him, but not before his demonic powers send them 10 years into the future, although they find that out gradually.  When they emerge from the cave they find that the world has totally changed, human civilization seems to be crumbling and the world is overrun by demons.  Eventually the discover that by killing demons and drinking their blood, the players can acquire demonic powers and grow much stronger than ordinary humans.

Currently, the party is in a city called Alexandretta and they are participating in a demon tournament to win a princess, whom they travelled with before and is special for some reason.  So far they have won the first 3 rounds and are in the semi-finals.  There is one match per day, and at night they are exploring a nearby hospital which is connected to the town by a bridge suspended over an abyss.  The hospital is a hospital from our world, and they are finding lots of strange devices like broken cell phones and radios which a certain shadowy figure named Jacob buys from them for a lot of money.  But they can only explore the hospital for so long per day before the phantoms come out, whom they have figured out that they don't want to mess with.

So that's it in a nutshell for anyone who's interested.  If anyone has any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them.  If you are reading this and thinking that you don't care about our stupid DND game, you are certainly in the majority.  Feel free to make fun of us at your leisure.

http://www.livestream.com/brionsdndgame/
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 08:43:20 pm by Brion Foulke »

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brion's DND Livestream
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:10:50 am »
You might want to look into Pathfinder. It's what I play now, a continuation / revision of 3.5 rules that uses more understandable and rules for things like grappling and attacks of opportunity. It's pretty cool.  :D
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:54:35 am »
Well, from what I've seen Pathfinder is still a lot like DND 3.5, which means I wouldn't really want to use it since I don't like 3.5 anymore.  If I'm gonna use a system, it would probably be the 4th edition of DND which is supposed to be simpler... but even then I don't think it's simple enough.  So I'd rather just stick to using my own system. 

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:15:53 pm »
okay. I think 4th ed is terrible. but it's popular so I must be the one who's wrong.
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:48:27 pm »
Don't get me wrong.  It's not that I like 4th edition... on the contrary, I have very little interest in playing it.  But that's just because I hate Tolkien style fantasy settings and typical DND swords & sorcery.  So I don't really like any edition.  But if I were to play one of them, it'd probably be 4th just because it is the simplest and I would rather play a simpler system.  I do think it's a big improvement over 3.5, which is a big mess of rules.  Simpler and streamlined is better, in my book.

The system we play now, although it started out sort of being based on 3.5, has morphed to the point where there's practically nothing in common with 3.5.  The only real things in common are some of the basic mechanisms, like attribute scores, saving rolls, attack rolls, AC, feats and skills.  We use most of the same skills as 3.5.  We started out using most of the same feats, but at this point I've pretty much thrown them all away in exchange for totally new feats.  Other than that, none of the spells or equipment or monsters or places are from any of the books.  So I probably shouldn't even call it 3.5, that's kind of misleading.  At this point it's more of the "Brion system," which draws a lot of influence from Megaten.  I don't really want things like grappling / attacks of opportunity because I'm trying to keep the fights simple and turn based and have as little movement as possible.  Like they can move from the backrow up to melee range, that's about it.  And grappling they can do if they have a specific ability for it, otherwise they just can't do it.

I think if we were to play another campaign we'll probably just drop the whole "fantasy" facade, what I'd like to do would be a role playing game in a modern day setting with lots of demons running a-muck.  I would love to design a pen and paper Persona RPG, that would be sweet.  But I think my group is resistant to that idea...

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 11:18:40 pm »
You should get the books for True20 rpg.  The whole thing is just a framework which is designed to only have portions of it's self used and to be manipulated in all sorts of ways but still remain "balanced".  Basically you use it to make a system rather than use it as a system and you can make it as complex or as simple as you want it.  It's been used to design systems from the modern super-hero setting "Mutants and Masterminds" to various supernatural, horror, crime, mystery and classic medieval fantasy games.

Now that I'm aware of some of the way's you've constructed your custom D&D game, it gives me a good idea on how I should probably be trying to construct the Flipside RPG I'm working on.  Not so much in believing that the Flipside universe is anything like Megaten, but rather forgeting things like classes and allowing a more open market for players to develop characters how they like.  I was previously working on several, fairly narrow classes (but each with several sub-classes).

P.S. Isn't Persona just the game console version of Megaten anyway?
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 11:56:40 am »
Persona is a spin-off series of Megaten, they are both console games.

That sounds cool, although I feel at this time I don't really need to be buying any books, I've got a better grasp on how to design a game.  For our game, I talked with each of the players about what kind of class they wanted to use, trying to steer away from traditional DND classes.  Then I just made up all of their spells / abilities.  But if you were gonna design a whole new system, I would say that just eliminating the class system is the way to go... it's kind of old fashioned and restrictive.  Instead just have a ton of abilities and let people customize what they want their character to do.

I don't have much advice for ya on making a Flipside RPG, seems like a tough task to me.  Good luck on that!

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 04:16:18 pm »
*meh* I'm making it for the fun but I'm going all out.  Its a FULL core rulebook I'm designing here, throwing in images from flipside that I've collected over time, including the vote incentive sketches (the old ones of them dressed as knights and all sorts of other character types will be very useful).

I might throw some classes in for use as templates or guides if people wish to follow them or GM/DMs who want some quick and easy guide to use for creating NPCs.

Well, I better stop flooding this thread on your RPG with the info on the flipside one.  Looking forward to your next RPG game and that evil voice again. MWAHAHAHAHAAAA

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 10:55:21 pm »
Awesome, I'm lookin forward to see what you come up with!

Next time I might try out a new voice, I'm tryin to sound more dungeon master-y without being too corny.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 04:52:52 pm »
Awesome, I'm lookin forward to see what you come up with!

Next time I might try out a new voice, I'm tryin to sound more dungeon master-y without being too corny.

I might have to check it out just for the Dungeon Master voice.

Don't disappoint!

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 05:04:57 pm »
We're gonna be livestreaming the game again on March 27th, Saturday, 6 pm central time.  This time we'll get to see how the new battle system works out.

http://www.livestream.com/brionsdndgame/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:07:16 pm by Brion Foulke »

Niricko

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 06:56:20 pm »
Jen should totally make Microwave brownies for another game... They take like 15 mins and 5 mins to cool down... and delicious xD

Microwave Chocolate Brownies

2 Squares of unsweetened baking chocolate (or 1/3 cup chocolate chips)
1/2 cup margarine (room temperature)
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon flour
pinch o salt
Optional: 3 tablespoon of chopped walnuts

- Place the chocolate and margarine in a large microwaveable bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 to 1/2 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Mix.
- Add in the eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Mix until blended. Add the flour and salt (preferably 1/4 cup at a time). (if you wanted the walnuts, add them now)
- Grease a microwaveable cake pan (i use a glass casserole dish =D ) Pour in the batter. Microwave foe about 6 to 8 minutes, or until the top of the brownies look dry.
-DO NOT EAT IMMEDIATELY! They taste better after you let them cool for a few minutes.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 05:51:06 am »
I'd suggest she make some damper... But the only cooking instructions I know require the coals of a camp fire  :'(

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 06:44:03 am »
and a fresh roadkill or bushmeat eh?

Niricko

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 07:32:51 am »
Campfire in a house.... -ponders- I don't think thats a good idea...

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 01:15:13 pm »
Thanks for the recipe.  Hope you enjoyed the stream... sorry it was cut off a bit early, there was some trouble with our internet connection.

Niricko

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 07:53:50 am »
Your welcome

And that's alright. Livestream seemed to have trouble the next day as well. So don't be too convinced that it was your internet and not their server!

Zearth

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 09:49:03 pm »
i played pathfinder with some friends over my winter break after not playing since the very beginning of 3.0. i liked it, but i didnt like 4.0 at all... i played druid and couldnt stand that you became "wild shape" instead of "shape shift- animal" so i made myself into a dire badger and just ran around badgering it up