Author Topic: Intermission 30: Special Voting Thread!  (Read 40884 times)

Kurai_X_Kitsune

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
Re: Intermission 30: Special Voting Thread!
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2015, 10:30:39 pm »
3. Crest (Suspiria Storyarc) Crest needs some love again

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2015, 10:42:58 pm »
1. Maytag (Dark Cell Storyarc)

Not only more interesting to me, but it is what Brion, in his infinite wisdom, planned to do anyway. I also don't understand what people really expect if Bern's arc continues. Unless Brion drastically (and thus unexpectedly and probably not for the best) changes the pacing it may take several chapters to really end Bern's arc, and he likely wouldn't do them all at once anyway, so it's at best moving the "problem" to me. Or maybe the masses are fight maniacs, but I haven't found fights to be the most interesting aspect of Flipside anyway... Well, if the fight is what the masses want then perhaps it's fine to get it out of the way. Maybe Brion will make it exceptional, but I expect that I will continue to enjoy other character developments more.

Ginyu

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2015, 10:43:17 pm »
2. Bernadette (Colosseum Storyarc)

starfyredragon

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2015, 10:50:52 pm »
0.75 of my vote goes to Maytag (Dark Cell Storyarc)

0.25 of my vote goes to Crest (Suspiria Storyarc)

If it's one vote "total", I would like to make the following adjustment...
Idea of watching comic go to some lame tournament-style story arch: -1,000,000. If I wanted something like that, I'd just watch DBZ or Yugioh.
Watching some super-powerful individual avoid detection by authorities while trying to root out truth... Well, Suspira is more BA than old man Batman pretends to be... net neutral.
Seeing a character who drew me to the comic with her interesting psychology, who's the main character, tackling an unknown with a serious of trials that make readers wonder about their own psychology that that reveals deeper meaning in ourselves, the characters, and in the lore of the world.... +1,000,000

In other suggestions... if we do get stuck on Bernadette's lousy story arc, she's tired and against 3 pros, one who's stronger, and the warden (who sets up these fights for a living) said she doesn't have a chance and will likely die. If she doesn't die in the first few second, I'll be fairly disappointed in the realism of the comic. And if she does die... well, Bernadette's been reliably my least favorite character. She's about as complex and deep a five year old with six duplo bricks. Sure, she's "angsty", but she's not "deep." (Boggles me how people can confuse the two things when they're so different.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:58:47 pm by starfyredragon »

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2015, 12:24:26 am »
We're in the tail of the buildup to the climax of the current arc (of which the Colosseum is but a sub-arc) and that strikes me as a very poor choice for the location of a cliffhanger.

Actually, it's a pretty good place.  A poor choice for a cliffhanger would be when a storyline has wrapped up.  Anyplace that "leaves you hanging" is by definition a good place for a cliffhanger.  Not that I mind if people would rather see Bernadette's story continue.

casianh

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2015, 01:17:43 am »
Please, please, please don't leave us hanging? I know the benefit of a cliffhanger when the story is finished, but to be honest, just these past few update have been agonizing. To think we'd get another whole chapter before finding out what happens? T_T

chiepah

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2015, 02:12:49 am »
First things first;

I'm curious about the Dark Cell, but more so about the Nanobots that make magic possible.

Next; I think this was a bad place to cast a vote, cliffhangers are good things, but people don't like them. I'd estimate that half the people that are voting Bernadette are actually interested in her as a character. The other half is looking for the payoff from her arc. Probably 2/3 of the people voting for Crest are interested in him, his arc isn't as fresh. Most of us have gotten over Maytag, the anticipation has turned sour.

Conclusion; This vote is more of a measure of how well you setup cliffhangers rather then a vote as to which character is more well liked.

wowfood

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2015, 04:50:57 am »
Not that it makes much difference at this point but

3 crest.

We left maytag in a bit of a "What will happen" situation last time, and it was cliffhangerish in a way.  We've now left bern on the precipice of something potentially awesome (I have an idea of what's going to happen, but very clicch?) We left crest about to go on a journey. 

It's like we left bern at the battle of helms deep, we've left maytag just after the mines of moria.  And crest is still at the start of an unexpected journey.  I'd at least like to see him catch up story wise a little.

9_6

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2015, 05:29:53 am »
Maytag would fit because eventually she has to wonder where the heck bern is like.
It's been how long now, a week since she was put in there?

PriorKnowledge

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2015, 06:00:12 am »

Although this story line is dragging with little action, I want to see the conclusion, which I hope is soon.

I want to tell you that the story line itself is fantastic. Putting those choices to a moral person and the warden's explanation as to why she should have been allowed to choose Option A was very clever. However, this story line required a great deal of dialog with very little action and would have been much better as a short story in a magazine rather than a comic. Of course, had you done that, I would not have seen it and my life would have been a little poorer.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 06:03:14 am by PriorKnowledge »

mittfh

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2015, 06:26:24 am »

Yes, I know we're in the middle of Bern's arc, but we've just had 60 pages worth of her in the Colosseum - besides which, taking a break from her gives Brion plenty of time to visualise the fight (where I suspect her determination coupled with the properties of both blades being weilded simultaneously won't make it the walkover almost everyone at the Colosseum's expecting).

Given the sequencing of the last five chapters: Crest (30), Bern (30), May (60), Crest (30) and Bern (60); ideally, we'd have a 30 page Maytag chapter followed by a 60 page Crest chapter then finishing round three with 30 page chapters from Bern then May to keep equal amounts of time on each arc (120 pages each, with each cycle having a 60 page chapter and two 30 page chapters).

raec

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2015, 06:30:40 am »

There maybe a lot of votes for the Bern arc right now but there is something to be said about taking everything in good time. My vote is for you to continue on the story and pacing you have in your head, the readers may want everything to end before starting on another but there might be some sort of interaction you are building towards.

CapnBlaze

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2015, 06:46:41 am »

I would like to finish one arc before going to another. Not a big fan of overlong cliff hangers.

archiesholland

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2015, 06:48:53 am »
2. Bernadette
2. Bernadette
2. Bernadette

Batteri

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2015, 08:15:17 am »
I feel like the Bernadette arc has been dragging way too long already and actually yelled out "NOO!" when I saw the "Intermission" today. Despite that, I think you should do as you were planning on from the beginning and go with Maytag. Might want to change the pacing a bit though.

For clarity: 1. Maytag

Zuul

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2015, 08:39:25 am »
Kill them, Bernadette in the Colosseum, and free Maytag!  :-*

So i'm voting for both...  ;D

LazarWolf

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2015, 09:23:51 am »
3. Crest (Suspiria Storyarc)

Kimau

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2015, 10:58:58 am »
2. Bernadette

Seilican

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2015, 11:35:54 am »

signed up on forums just to vote

Thanks for the awesome comic keep up the good work

pachel

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2015, 12:22:05 pm »
I vote for Crest storyarc.

As much as I want to see what happens in the Bernadette storyarc, I think leaving it for now and coming back to it is good storytelling. As a previous poster mentioned Bernadette's arc and Maytag's arc are both at critical moments and Crest's needs to catch up a little bit. Besides, somehow I get the feeling that Crest's comeback as a character is going to start tying things together somehow. For the pacing of the story I think that would be the best way to go.

And for everyone complaining about all the dialogue in the last chapter, I think it was all justified and set everything up really well. I really like Bernadette as a character but it is interesting that I've been finding myself viewing her behavior in the Colosseum as frustrating and weak, even though it's true to who she is. I'm dying to see what she does in this fight, but all in good time.

MarkVonShief

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2015, 12:50:31 pm »

Keep the order - Maytag

ImFromNASA

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2015, 01:55:19 pm »
This is so hard!!! I want to see Bernadette kick some ass, but I also want to know about the Dark Cell. Ughghahgghaghg.

I choose:

greenglowinggoo

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2015, 02:11:00 pm »

Hey, umm why not just make an actual poll, instead of having people put their answers in the forum?  It'd make it easier for you to see the answers, cause lots of people aren't even following the format.

monimoni

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2015, 02:27:01 pm »

I dont think now is the time to change to another arc, since not much actually happened in this one. Like somebody said, this could work well in paper format, but in the online medium we have to wait a LOT to get to the point of the whole ordeal. Makes you stop caring about the story.
You built up a lot of anticipation (the "auction" scene ughh, and where Warden is telling us how Bernadette is weak and is gonna die), and when it's finally time to satisfy that anticipation you switch to another character??!!! Honestly after so much talking I was expecting something to happen in the the last 2 pages, but then more talking about how Bernadette is too weak to survive, and then nothing for another I don't know how many weeks...
I'm not saying to get another 60 pages of Bernadette but just a couple more would be nice to get to the point of the whole thing. By the time the next storyline is done I will have forgotten about Bern.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:33:12 pm by monimoni »

MarSper

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2015, 02:27:43 pm »
 My vote is:
3. Crest (Suspiria Storyarc)

thepotato

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2015, 02:42:09 pm »
Registered just to vote - big fan for years!  Anyway, I know this vote will hardly count amid the flood of Bernadette votes, but I had to try:

3. Crest + Suspiria

It pains me to see Crest being the invisible demoted protagonist - he needs some time to shine!!  Plus I really wanna know what's up with Suspiria!

Keep at it Brion!  :-*

Ryuu

• Experimental
  • I like robot ninja chocolate monkeys!
    • MSN Messenger - r_y_u_u@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2015, 05:11:23 pm »
my preferences are 3 and then 2 in that order. i really want to see where Bern's arc is going,but a part of that is the cliffhanger speaking. and i really like the crest/suspira pairing (pretty sure i said that before), sop would love to see more development to it.

Flipside desktops, knock yourself out.
now with more pictures!

sirgarberto

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2015, 06:34:41 pm »

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2015, 08:39:28 pm »

Like some of the others, I am disappointed in how slowly Bernadette's current arc is progressing.  I can understand suspense, but this gives me the impression that you're afraid of putting Bern in danger (understandable, but I'd like to see some kind/any kind of action).  I choose Maytag over Crest because I feel that she is the stronger character and the one with the clearest focus--beat the Dark Cell and win treasure, so she can host her own show and become famous.  It's selfish, but she knows that.  At least she's confident in who she is.  Crest seems unsure of his ability to win back Suspiria, even though he's determined to try.  Bernadette is unsure of her ability to survive in the Colosseum, despite Polly's faith in her.  Maytag is comparatively free of such doubts, as she tends to act impulsively according to her self-interest.  Therefore, I think that her story should move at a faster pace and in a clearer direction.  However, I wouldn't mind if you throw a few curveballs her way  ;D.

ThatGuy

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2015, 09:47:28 pm »
I really enjoy all the arcs for different reasons - nice work!

My vote is for Maytag's arc.