Author Topic: Intermission 30: Special Voting Thread!  (Read 40880 times)

snowstreak

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Intermission 30: Special Voting Thread!
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2015, 03:16:33 pm »
3. Crest (Suspiria Storyarc)

I am really interested in seeing what is going on with Suspiria

ProfessorBill

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2015, 03:24:06 pm »
2. Bernadette in the Colosseum

And as brutally honest Krinny was...

2. Bernadette (Colosseum Storyarc)

I don't meant to criticize, but really?
First you give us this nice backstory with Bern in the Colosseum. However this entire arc has been DRAGGING along. Painfully so.
Finally get to see a potential fight scene, and what do we get? Ten pages of talking, 50-60. Then you are going to take that fight away?! WHY?

When I First read this comic, I got the feeling it was about Crest.
Then we started getting more backstory with Bernadette and Maytag. It is clear you wanted to take the story in a direction that focuses more on them.
In my opinion, whatever happens with Crest is just a bonus at the moment.

We just got over 60 pages of the Dark Cell, and 30 Pages of Crest.
We DON'T get to see many fight scenes in the comic at all. What I see is lots of dialog, mind games, and social interaction.
Don't get me wrong, I sort of like that about the stories so far. But it wouldn't hurt to take a break from that now and again.

Let the voting decide, and hope all things go well.

Edit: Felt like modifying my post.

What are we going to get in contrary to picking Bernadette?

We can get Maytag.
She will either brute force her way through the Dark Cell (Boring), think of some cliche way to overcome the fear, or think of a 'brilliant solution". (Because YAY for stupid side characters, why couldn't the Thin Man have thought of that for the X amount of years he's been attempting this?!)
Either that or she will outright leave, which goes down a whole other storyline we don't need to see or think about. She will leave with nothing, not have her dimension bag the Thin Man conveniently still has, and learn of Bernadette's fate.

We could get Crest and Suspiria.
Now that the conclave is mostly out of the way, Suspiria has very little in her way that's going to stop her from finding the Thin Man. While finding him alone would be a difficult task, this will inevitably lead us back to Maytag and possibly mess up her attempts at entering the Dark Cell or her future. In which case what's the point?
Crest might come into play and try to talk her out of it. "Yes, your parents are still alive. There right here, see? Stop being crazy please?" BORING.
Everyone here is fighting each other, when both of their goals are the same thing. Find the Thin Man. Except nobody can see past their own tunnel vision for the sake of drawn out story.

Bernadette is the only person who is currently working her way out of a very bad situation. She was dealt a shity hand, and is now trying to deal with it. And now you want to shift focus away from that?

I gotta say, I agree on a lot of those points.  I don't think the story lines would be *boring*, per se, but I really do feel like the pages are dragging on a bit.  And Maytag's become her own cliche; she's predictable.

Obviously no one should tell you how to create your own comic.  It's just (hopefully) constructive criticism.

Also, hitting us with an intermission as soon as we're about to *finally* see some action?  Are you trolling us or what?

(Or are you just trying to get more forum subscribers?)

Davmor

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2015, 03:31:19 pm »
2. Bernadotte Colosseum

squallevoker

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 03:33:59 pm »
Crest (Suspiria Storyarc)!  : D

Enkida

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
    • Baldur's Gate Portraits
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2015, 03:34:17 pm »
2. Bernadette in the Colosseum

I stand by my critique in the critique thread. I'd have taken option 3 if this arc hadn't been drawn out an extra 30 pages for the supposed "suspense" of nothing really happening besides the pages and pages of Polly and Bern feeling verbally guilty at one another.  At this point I just want someone to get stabbed, LOL.
2 kids = no more comics, but you can still find me doing BG portraits now and then

quille

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2015, 03:35:31 pm »

Mostly because the previous chapter was 60 pages of pacing nightmare. Literally more than half of it was spent going back and forth over the choices which could have easily been wrapped up way more tightly. Admittedly trying to read into Bernadette's character has been frustrating because of how much she's been saying how she shouldn't be relying on Polly, and yet repeatedly throws her friend and herself in situations where she does nothing but rely on her.

But seeing that I don't care about Maytag or her Dark Cell stuff, I'm a little biased to choose between Bern - who I may be holding out hope for her to not get hit with the stupid stick any more than she has in vain - and Crest, if only because I'm more interested in knowing what is going on with Suspiria.

I don't intend to be mean or anything, but you should really work on your pacing because these arcs shouldn't take as long as they have been. I usually don't mind when a story is moving slow to progress the characters, but it seems like no one has been going anywhere lately.

P.S. I've been reading this comic for years and also am one of those who just registered to vote.

Chnmmr

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2015, 03:37:00 pm »
I vote for (2)

The pacing on her chapter in my opinion has been painfully slow and feels dragged out.  It has finally reached a great point that has people excited, so to change now and leave it at a cliffhanger for another couple of months is too much.

I dare say, I've been a loyal follower of this comic from the absolute beginning and it pains me to admit that this chapter almost caused me to stop reading the comic (or at least check in every few days.)  Please, lets see the Arena arc come to a fulfilling end! :)

Marduk

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2015, 03:49:53 pm »
2, Bernadette.  I've been wondering what she will do: collapse and let them kill her, snap and kill them, or stick to her convictions and just defend herself until they give up - which may or may not involve injuring her opponents.

bartok

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2015, 04:16:56 pm »
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:19:06 pm by bartok »

Purphoros

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2015, 04:19:23 pm »
It seems like Bernadette has a head start, but maybe the vote can be flipped...

1. Maytag (Dark Cell Storyarc)

Why?
- Because we already have waited way too long for the conclusion, and I'm sure it will prove to be more interesting and complex than just another fighting scene.
- I can get hundreds of fighting scenes only a few clicks away, animated even, or play them myself. But some more of the authors philosophy is not that easily available.
-And of course, because all those babies who cry "No, please no cliffhangers" don't have any sympathy from someone who finally wants to know what the final layer of the black boxes defense is after waiting for what feels like almost a year.

Underground Pyro

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2015, 04:37:32 pm »
Because screw it, Bern will win anyway.

NeKaan

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2015, 05:00:37 pm »

MaronaPossessed

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2015, 05:26:21 pm »
1. Maytag

To keep the normal flow going.

Sabio

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2015, 05:48:24 pm »

quille

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2015, 05:57:00 pm »
-And of course, because all those babies who cry "No, please no cliffhangers" don't have any sympathy from someone who finally wants to know what the final layer of the black boxes defense is after waiting for what feels like almost a year.
Maybe it's just me but I find it immature and discourteous to resort to calling other members as "babies" for stating opinions that differ from yours. Personally speaking, it's not the cliffhanger that bugs me, but the slow pacing that dragged on for the entire chapter. The fact that the chapter is called "The Indomitable Blades" but we didn't actually get to see their relevance during 60 pages of dialogue is even more disappointing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:00:27 pm by quille »

NakedRei

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2015, 05:59:41 pm »

ResidentWeavil

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2015, 06:04:21 pm »
2. Bernadette

The whole trip to visit dad has dragged on much too long. Didn't she leave to find him about 500 pages ago?

MakoSDV

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2015, 06:29:37 pm »

Sverre

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 06:58:25 pm »
2. Bernadette(Colosseum Storyarc)

Please!

Nakani

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 07:05:25 pm »

Dont cliffhanger me on this one! GAH!

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2015, 07:41:11 pm »
Guys, please keep the criticism in the criticism thread.  And absolutely no fighting in here.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 07:58:44 pm »
Bern! PLEASE let it be her! After that insanely long scene with her, Polly,  and the warden, I, er, WE deserve to see this through!   ;D

TomeWyrm

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2015, 08:10:34 pm »

We're in the tail of the buildup to the climax of the current arc (of which the Colosseum is but a sub-arc) and that strikes me as a very poor choice for the location of a cliffhanger.

Maytag would be my second vote, Crest has never really interested me, and Suspira hasn't really been interesting since she killed the conclave. Plus I like worldbuilding :-p

Rowen Morland

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2015, 08:40:24 pm »

I won't be even a little sad if it is a different outcome but right now I'm just thinking: "Tell me he said, I've got to know."

(Of course I believe that Bernadette will win, so I can always wait to see it happen.)

Vetala

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2015, 08:55:39 pm »
Crest (Suspiria Storyarc)

Walruswithbenefits

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2015, 09:02:11 pm »

Timestaller

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2015, 09:10:20 pm »

FireWater513

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2015, 09:24:03 pm »

I imagine Bernadette will win by a landslide, and I almost voted for it because it's a huge build up to a cliffhanger. But when I think about it it isn't as big a cliffhanger as all that, it's just that the last chapter was REALLY slow. The entire chapter was basically one big conversation in a cell. Full week goes by and basically 'they talked more'.
I know that's part of the limits of making comics in this venue, but still...
While I'm anxious to get the action going on that fight, I think it would be more artsy to swap to another character and come back to Bern later.

tanukipurple

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2015, 09:54:22 pm »

I signed up for the forum to vote, and read all the comments. Much of the remarks I agree with, tho I am not so annoyed with the focus and pacing as some seem to be, I'm pretty patient. I love this comic, and have been reading for quite some time. It has helped me a great deal, as I really identify with Maytag. It's very refreshing g seeing a comic that explores things that you do :)

Trenzalore

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2015, 10:30:08 pm »
2. Bernadette (Colosseum Storyarc), I really want to know if she gets badass or not..

PS -  could always throw in 4. Bloody Mary,  because just as many shows and comics have discovered it can be surprising which characters the audience falls in love with,  and I think just about everyone loves Mary and I refuse to believe her story is at an end :)

But also, I agree with Shazam that there should be a better conclusion/continuation to the Bloody Mary character. She really caught my interest, and of course the interaction between her and Maytag is quite interesting