Author Topic: Chapter 42: Discussion  (Read 56837 times)

mittfh

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
Chapter 42: Discussion
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:57:26 pm »
( Looks around, sees no-one's created the Chapter 42 thread, decides to be a devil and create it himself :D )

As I thought, we're back to Bern and Polly in custody in the Colosseum at Marvallo...

...and Berns got a visitor, fresh from her own ordeal in Lehm's Dark Cell...

This is going to be an interesting reunion :)

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chapter 42: Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 05:44:24 pm »
...or is it a dream of desire and nothing more? :)
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 01:46:55 pm »
...or is it a dream of desire and nothing more? :)

A dream, certainly. What kind of dream is at question though.

1.) A fever dream as Bern is in a healer's care after her compound fracture thanks to the arena's "tester."

2.) A magical delusion deliberately exploited by Polly.

3.) A dream fueled by desire, again exploited by Polly because Bern has neither the ability nor the option to refuse.

SparcMan

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • SparcMan's World
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 06:46:15 pm »
Can't say I can fault Bern. Polly is pretty damn awesome and (in my opinion) even more beautiful than Maytag.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 05:55:45 am »
So it was a normal dream after all. Bern, it's ok. Dreams go to strange places. Even lucid dreamers don't have 100% control over where they go. Besides, it's not wrong to have those feelings, Poly's really gone out of her way for you. It's how you act on them that could be problematic.

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 05:47:55 pm »
Poly's really gone out of her way for you.
An interesting misspelling... ;p

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 07:01:07 pm »
So it was a normal dream after all. Bern, it's ok. Dreams go to strange places. Even lucid dreamers don't have 100% control over where they go. Besides, it's not wrong to have those feelings, Poly's really gone out of her way for you. It's how you act on them that could be problematic.

I am a lucid dreamer.. and I can attest to that.. its hard to control your dreams..even when your aware.  The hardest part, I find, is staying asleep once you realize your dreaming.  I know some mental exercises to induce a lucid dream.. but its not a 100% thing!  Sometimes I just drift off and wake up in the morning.. other times I can induce a lucid state.. but it takes a lot of concentration and it still is not a 100% thing.  Especially, if I want to get some actual sleep that night and wake up in the morning rested and not spend all night trying to induce the lucid state.

I can't fault Bern either.. she loves Polly as well.

"A dream is a wish.. your heart makes..."
"When your fast asleep..."

"In dreams you will loose your heartache..."
"Whatever, you wish for you keep!"

- Thank you Disney.

But seriously, Polly is a hottie.. and an old friend of Bern... so it only likely she will feel an attraction to her considering her feelings toward women!

Polly is cute in that tough-girl but hot Goth kinda way... but I think I'd still prefer the Smoking hot blonde that is Maytag!
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

mittfh

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 11:55:12 pm »
So Polly and Bern have been separated, Polly's doing wonderful in her fights, but Bern's finding her reluctance to fight is rather problematic...

...which probably means they'll find some tough, mean opponents for whom, if she doesn't fight back convincingly, will ensure she spends plenty of time being healed and not earning credits towards her release...

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 09:17:25 am »
Hoo boy. In prison, weakness is something you dare not show.

Bern's in serious trouble now.

Abstract Vagabond

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 04:35:29 pm »
For what Bern is wanting, being passive obviously wasn't an option. As much as I hate the guy, he's right. Bern was given three chances. Sure, the third chance wasn't as fair as a one on one would be, but only as far as that the three on three gave her the opportunity to make the wrong choice in not fighting.

This isn't to say that she can't be passive, but to be so, she'd have to accept the consequences on that action. She would be willing to stay in the prison for however long it takes. To accept the label of being weak and a coward, truth be damned. Bern isn't wanting that. She wants out. And yet, she wasn't willing to show them that.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 05:30:54 am »
A bit late to realize that, Bern. If you had merely treated these fights as training, instead of stupidly crowning "honor before reason," you might have had a better time of it, but being a pacifist after being convicted for a crime of violence is really not going to work.

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 11:30:22 am »
Technically she committed that violent crime to save someone, and even then committed no significant violence, only imposed the threat thereof.  But this seems to be the legally sanctioned government's punishment.  I myself would argue that this government is likely corrupt enough that it would not be immoral to ignore its laws (aka escape).

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 09:45:14 am »
Technically she committed that violent crime to save someone, and even then committed no significant violence, only imposed the threat thereof.  But this seems to be the legally sanctioned government's punishment.  I myself would argue that this government is likely corrupt enough that it would not be immoral to ignore its laws (aka escape).

... Good luck with that plan. Even if she CAN get past all the guards, her fellow inmates, and whatever "police" might be nearby, she'd permanently be a wanted criminal, in every country, and would have a hell of a time living any kind of life because she'd never know who would turn on her, or when.

Granted, she may have been pushed beyond any human reason, but she DID break the country's one and only law and she must answer for it.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 05:12:49 am »

Possibly, but at least the new arena administrator 'seems' to be treating her as fairly as he is allowed to... he's likely the least corrupt. But carrying the outlaw mantle is a lifelong thing that should not be taken lightly.  Bern has always struck me as a law abiding and good-hearted individual... so being declared outlaw would be something she would want to avoid!

And besides, sometimes... you have to fight for what you believe in and is dear to your heart that is!  Bern was ready to fight for her dad's life... so clearly she s NOT a true pacifist!

dg86

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 11:25:13 am »
LOLz.

The Bronze is strong with Bern.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 05:41:35 am »
And the testing warden is actually HELPING them?

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 10:08:52 am »
And the testing warden is actually HELPING them?

No, I think she's getting ready to propose the Triple Bloody Mary solution.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 02:01:44 pm »
Bern, you know what? Just end it. Now...  ::)

SparcMan

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • SparcMan's World
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 06:01:59 am »
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that she's not just there to rub it in. She's got a proposal in mind for Bern to get her out of the situation she's in. I have little doubt that it's not going to be easy though.
Why would she be helping Bern? I would guess that she's intrigued. Poly clearly believes Bern can hold her own in a fight so she probably thinks that there's some kind of task Bern could do that would at least be entertaining regardless of the outcome.

Maybe even an all-or-nothing situation where Bern either goes free (and Poly too I hope) or stays much longer.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 07:45:20 am »
There is also the fact that she was skilled enough to land not one but TWO perfect counter-punches on the warden before being shut down, and hard. That's worthy of a little respect, sure. The warden probably doesn't like the care-taker too.

Furcas

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 06:40:09 pm »
Bern sweating like a pig.

Daikun

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 01:16:40 am »
Page 15 is up.

And it's a...repeat? :'(

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 10:13:15 am »
Yeah, Bern is somehow going to be ending the Triple Bloody Mary threat with the combined magic killin' swords that Frank Zappa gives her.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 10:47:21 am »
Bern sweating like a pig.

Sweat and tears.

I've done the math. At rank D, if Bern was getting three matches a week, she would need 166 weeks to pay off the remaining 498 marks.

Assuming the Flipsideverse has the same 52 weeks a year that we do, that would be three years, 10 weeks of brutal, bloody fighting three days a week.

The dungeon's 1 mark/ week would have her there for the better part of 10 years.

Now we have to see what the Warden has in mind and hope she wasn't there just to rub their faces in it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:20:32 am by Azure Priest »

Saratje

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 09:43:33 am »
Oh no! I bet it's Bernedette fighting Polly to the death, with a take-it or leave it condition. Polly will then without doubt accept, forcing Bernedette to fight her. Beat a rank A to surpass rank A. Hope not!

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 03:36:59 pm »
Assuming the Flipsideverse has the same 52 weeks a year that we do, that would be three years, 10 weeks of brutal, bloody fighting three days a week.

It does indeed.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 04:53:32 am »
Yeah, Bern is somehow going to be ending the Triple Bloody Mary threat with the combined magic killin' swords that Frank Zappa gives her.

Bwahahaha...{snicker}...he really IS isn't he!

Oh no! I bet it's Bernedette fighting Polly to the death, with a take-it or leave it condition. Polly will then without doubt accept, forcing Bernedette to fight her. Beat a rank A to surpass rank A. Hope not!

There is no doubt Polly LOVES Bern... and ths would be a very sad but possible end to her... cause though she might make Bern fight... there would be no doubt to us readers {at least}... Polly would let Bern kill her. 

I sincerely hope that is NOT what the Warden s proposing.  It would storywise be tragic... but also just a little too pat and easy a solution... though indeed Bern would never be the same again.  I think Polly should be allowed to be around for some time for the drama of the love triangle between Bern, Maytag and Polly.

Personally I would like to get a chance to see Bern and Polly take on ALL takers in a battle Royale!  That would be cinematic and awesome!!

Oh... and Rest in Peace Tom Magliozzi... 'now your safe from all your ex-wives alimony claims'.  You will be missed... especially your laughter! :(
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 05:51:09 am by sunphoenix »

IronSoul

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 01:13:09 pm »
At this point, I think any ultimatum the Warden would offer Bernadette would be "a pat and easy solution", though it might be hell for Bernadette. Of the speculations listed, I think it's far more likely for Bernadette to have to kill Polly. I can't see the Bloody Mary clones being in Marvallo.

Whatever happens, I hope Bernadette comes to her senses soon. I started disliking her when she first ended up in Marvallo, and I've been liking her less and less each time we've seen her since.

Also, hello everyone :)

Abstract Vagabond

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 07:01:30 pm »
I sense that the warden can be easily disliked because she simply does what she's required to do. That part that I like about her now is that she doesn't have anything against Bern. She wouldn't give her this help if she did. It may not be much help, but is within the guidelines of what her job is. Another chance? Well, will have to see the next page or two to know how much of a chance it is.

mittfh

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 12:09:39 am »
Things are about to get interesting :)

I think the Warden's intruiged by the pair of enchanted swords, so it's fairly likely she'll give Bern a chance to use them in something other than the bottom-of-the-pile matches she's scheduled for - albeit on the understanding that if she breaks out of her funk and actually shows some decent swords[wo?]manship, she'll be able to ascend the ranks quicker (besides which, effective strategies combined with double sword wielding are likely to be a crowd-pleaser so could be good for business). "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours."