Author Topic: Sci-Fi Roleplay Discussion/Signup  (Read 23230 times)

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sci-Fi Roleplay Discussion/Signup
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 01:03:48 pm »
As far as exo-armor goes, I think it would be able to support far heavier weapons than what is man-portable today, and considdering he was armed and armored to milspec. when found, the gear he had would probably be hidden by the original crew or ditched out of an airlock to avoid unhealthy attention if some kind of inspection had found them onboard.
And when I say hidden, I include Torgal in those who would be completely unaware to where the gear would be.
All he remembers is that a few days after they were sealed-in in that severed engine bay by the blast doors, he and Ahzek drifted into unconsciousness due to failing life-support, and then he woke up in the medical bay/ a spare crew cabin on the Lucre some time later, dressed only in his underwear and the exo-armor and other terran military gear he wore when passing out would be missing.

For the status of your old gear, you're going to have to talk to Brekk :D

An independant trader with milspec equipment gets branded a probable pirate meaning a lot more paperwork and weeks spent waiting while the ship is almost torn apart looking for contraband and stolen property.

Sorry night, had forgotten about the fighter. It can still be around, but it does have to be stripped to strictly below military spec.

Ok, well let me know if this is ok:

2 seater craft, armed with a single Stormpulse cannon (think mini-gun that fires energy coated bullets) and some kind of directed EMP generator - with the intention of the fighter to get in close to enemy ships and disable them the cannon is merely for dealing with what little Drone/Fighter defense other ships may have and the EMP for disabling engines or other key systems so the target ship cant escape. (unless the Lucre has a good supply of ammo it's going to be running pretty low on firepower) It's also capable of both stelar and atmoshperic flight (else he couldn't really of gone planet hopping in it)

Okay, let's compromise. The ship is designed for a crew of two and has full (but very cramped) living area for the crew members because it's designed to be on patrol for 1-3 weeks at a time. 6 hardpoints which can mount the same type of missile the Lucre fires and it has a railgun which fires 3 inch projectiles for point defense and short range offense.

No stealth in space + no shields means getting close to attack full sized ships is suicide. Emp doesn't even work in modern times and are far less effective in space. The fighter is a scout/patrol/missile launch platform more like the torpedo armed PT boats of world war 2.
R.E.C.R.: There is no way you can defeat the superior power of my massive 56 kilobyte processor!

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 11:34:09 pm »
Sorry night, had forgotten about the fighter. It can still be around, but it does have to be stripped to strictly below military spec.

Ok, well let me know if this is ok:

2 seater craft, armed with a single Stormpulse cannon (think mini-gun that fires energy coated bullets) and some kind of directed EMP generator - with the intention of the fighter to get in close to enemy ships and disable them the cannon is merely for dealing with what little Drone/Fighter defense other ships may have and the EMP for disabling engines or other key systems so the target ship cant escape. (unless the Lucre has a good supply of ammo it's going to be running pretty low on firepower) It's also capable of both stelar and atmoshperic flight (else he couldn't really of gone planet hopping in it)

Okay, let's compromise. The ship is designed for a crew of two and has full (but very cramped) living area for the crew members because it's designed to be on patrol for 1-3 weeks at a time. 6 hardpoints which can mount the same type of missile the Lucre fires and it has a railgun which fires 3 inch projectiles for point defense and short range offense.

No stealth in space + no shields means getting close to attack full sized ships is suicide. Emp doesn't even work in modern times and are far less effective in space. The fighter is a scout/patrol/missile launch platform more like the torpedo armed PT boats of world war 2.
[/quote]

That's fine with me.... in Battlestar Galactica terms you're talking something similar to an armed Raptor I'm guesing.

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2011, 03:58:00 pm »
Thread started. Some people will be on the Lucre or the station, some will be on the ground either loading the shuttle or overseeing the preparation of the items in the warehouses that will be awaiting a later trip.

This world is drying out, becoming a desert as the atmospheric moisture boils away into space. The government is going heavily into debt with ships in the system's rings throwing ice balls to try to counter the water loss. There are riots concerning the raising cost of food and the incredibly high taxes needed to pay for the re-moisturization project but the particular riot at the shuttle port is people trying to buy their way off world.

Currently the Lucre is not fitted for passengers and would require buying a set of proper modules and hiring full time doctors so picking up people isn't an easy decision.
R.E.C.R.: There is no way you can defeat the superior power of my massive 56 kilobyte processor!

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2011, 06:15:53 pm »
Posted a response. Let me know if I should be writing more or less or if I am directing a bit much. As I said, first roleplay I have joined.

As for the military equipment, most was dumped. What could be added to the stash was added but to make the rest of the crew believe in the story, the armour and some weapons were airlocked.

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2011, 12:17:04 am »
btw are you having an away team person Stormin?

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2011, 07:05:36 am »
I wasn't planning to. I could make one if it's needed but since I would have to play all the NPCs an active ground char might overload me.

Edit:

Most characters are probably going to be groundside, either on the station or on the planet. The cargo has all been offloaded and pretty much everything being flown out has been bought. About half of the loading has been done.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 07:19:22 am by Stormin »

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 10:38:44 am »
Stephen is a pretty friendly guy but being a Martian his appearance is pretty freaky.

A question on all the characters who are just picked up, are they all full members of the crew or is it something yet to be decided?

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 11:12:45 am »
Stephen is a pretty friendly guy but being a Martian his appearance is pretty freaky.

Take into account that Mari's effectively been forced labour on a pirate ship for the past few years, so it's been a case of "work, do as you are told, dont answer back or get a beating" which means she's generally nervous around everyone and at this stage see's the crew of the Lucre as her masters/overseer's. (From a character development point of view I'm kind of hoping that the crew will coax her out of this state of mind)

Her relationship with Raize is more complicated. In a way she's more scared of him than anyone else and she'll generally follow his instructions before anyone elses. She rarely refers to him by name, usually calling Raize "he" or "him" and Raize in return only ever calls her "girl" (I'm currently going to italicise this until I can think of a better way of highlighting it). However she also feels safer with him than without and he is very overprotective (he wouldnt, for example, be pleased to see her talking to Stephen alone and he'd be even less pleased if she left the ship without him).. it's complicated I'm hoping they'll get some time together so I can show this more.

So she's not really afraid of Stephen because he's a Martian, but because she sees him as someone who has power over her. The nervous look at the door in the first post was not her looking to escape but her worrying Raize might come in.

A question on all the characters who are just picked up, are they all full members of the crew or is it something yet to be decided?

I imagined this being Mari and Raizes second of third run with the ship but that they'd be official crew, not sure what you'd define as full members of the crew though.

I'm assuming the "away team" crew members are awake at this point which means Raize is currently doing a kind of guard duty in terms of making sure no stowaways come aboard (Given the relatively short time they've been with the crew he wouldnt go "planet side" without Mari although he would be willing to do shuttle runs)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:42:57 am by NightWraith »

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2011, 12:44:57 pm »
I'd say both Ahzek and Torgal would be probationary crew until the captain decides to permanent them after showing their worth, or letting go of them.

So, brekk, what Torgal has left is pretty much his interface body-glove, a vibro bayonet and his 6mm caseless pistol sidearm? (22 rounds in a clip, semi-auto action, EM-assisted acceleration (a couple of EM coils with a compact power supply adding some 20% muzzle velocity, provided magnetized ammo is used.)
He had 5.6 factory loaded clips with 6mm tungsten core rifle-shape bullets with teflon coated rare-earth magnetic jacket when he was found.

(The body-glove got about the same protection as a class 1A body armour today when it comes to firearms. eg, it will only stop shotgun pellets at medium-long range, but it does have interwoven fibres to stop slashing weapons)

The gear that was stowed/ejected contained a 500lb Mk4b powered exo-armor with it's equipment hardpoints fitted with extra oxygen supply tanks, a platoon level command/control/communications interface and a case of 34 55mm programmable missiles and a feeding shute to a semi-automatic shoulder mounted missile launcher and 4 clips of 50 rounds 2mm EC coil-rifle ammo each.
Aside from that, a 2mm coil-rifle with thermal/night-vision/optical sights with 1x-5x variable zoom and an exo-armor interface socket for HUD status, and 12 hand grenades, 3 Frag, 3 inc, 3 smoke, 3 HE.
The only stowed/ejected gear that could be used without the armor would be the coil rifle, the grenades and the oxygen tanks.

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2011, 03:11:18 am »
Everyone should have at least one of their characters at this meeting so tie up whatever you are doing after you get the call from the captain.

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 03:59:01 am »
I went ahead and forced that one. I think we can get a lot more character development with more people together in one spot. Or even preparing for a mission of some sorts.

As for the weapons NightWraith. That would be correct. Just the rifle, ammunition and one of each grenade.

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 05:07:03 am »
About Raize's spike-gun.. my original intention was to make it something like a personal coil or rail-gun with a 5-shot magazine, a power pack that's good for 50 rounds and a short (say 15 second) charge time between rounds. But I get the suspicion that would be classed as military tech so need to figure out a different propulsion mechanism

As for the weapons NightWraith. That would be correct. Just the rifle, ammunition and one of each grenade.

Do you mean Emp?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:16:13 am by NightWraith »

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 05:20:25 am »
Personal weapons are chemical powered, coilguns require a powered armor's generator to work and they are not much better than a normal heavy machine gun. The advantage of those lay in greater ammo storage mostly.

Better chemistry allows less 'gunpowder' to be used and the guns are fair improvements over today's weapons but except for a few exceptions I'm keeping the tech level fairly close to modern day. There will be improvements in everything and stuff will be cheaper too. For example, spending the equivalent of $200 can get you a pair of glasses which will automatically translate writing you are directly looking at.

And don't worry too much about what specific gear each person has. You don't need exact lists, if it makes sense for you to have brought something then you have it. The explosives guy can be assumed to have C4 and detonators when they need to blow something up on a mission for example, no need to list things.

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 05:22:51 am »
I need to leave for work in about 20 minutes, so I'll give Brekk 15 or so before I post the Gov's speech.

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 06:10:51 am »
Do you mean Emp?

I suppose I do... Working with several tabs and inbetween actual work here. Confusion abound :P

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 09:06:30 am »
Ok, so hybrid tech like coil-assisted chemical weapons or 'fallout2'-style 'gauss' rifles doesn't exist?

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 04:46:58 pm »
They exist, but the power requirements are not man-portable without assistance. Except for the Linear Drive for FTL travel in this universe there have been no real breakthroughs, only improvements in engineering. Things are smaller, cheaper, better but if you were teleported there, you would be able to understand pretty much everything.

Even the precursor aliens were the same tech level. Different designs but they never got beyond what humanity is at. Evidence shows that they only existed as star-faring civilizations for a thousand years or so before they died off. This sort of thing fueled a million conspiracy theories and even spawned a few short lived religions when the newest colony worlds began failing... before becoming part of the background noise.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2011, 06:08:26 am »
Is it too late to join in with a Flight Engineer character?
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2011, 06:34:07 am »
Is it too late to join in with a Flight Engineer character?

Well I'd only object on the grounds that I'd spend the entire RP waiting for the line "She cannie take any more captain"  ;)

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2011, 06:44:32 am »
I was thinking of making my character Scottish but thought that was a bit much lol

Edit: How's this?

Name: Mitchell Gant, but usually gets called Chief or Flight.
Position:  Chief Flight Engineer/Mechanic
Description: humanoid from Lunar 12 late 40?s in appearance but with various bio-mechanical upgrades is in fact a lot older (his birth date records have been lost), short cropped black hair going white and pale skin colour since he mainly stays in the artificial half light with his beloved propulsion systems. Wears white oil/grease stained standard Military issue overalls and never with out a rag or some sort of lock wrench in his pockets, wears black leather steel toe capped combat boots. Has been given the Ominshia Corp upgrades of OC 1200Echo bionic eyes so he can see various visual light spectrums for heat, steam or radiation leaks in any type of light levels. Also have two multi-purpose servitor arms grafted to his spinal column on his back. They can be fitted with various tools from plasma cutters to sliding grips.  Unlike many of his type Mitchell remains human in appearance and still keeps his human birth name instead of using his Hexadecimal designation.

Experience: Inducted into the halls of the Ominshia Temple on the outskirts of Lunar 12 Mitchell quickly learned the skills and gained the upgrades needed to become a Grade A line unit used for basic duties on the ramp (refuelling and basic repairs) and after showing the capacity for understanding more about the Mechanicus was then moved up into the higher levels being taught Machine Code, Propulsion Systems, air frame design and intensive repair with minimal support and instruction.  Finally left the Temple as a G class unit but refused the final upgrade of replacing his vocal chords with a mechanical voice unit showing that some of his "humanity" still remained.  Has mainly served aboard military vessels as various ranks until gaining the prestigious rank of Chief Flight Engineer but once his uplink with the Temple at Lunar 12 got severed after  it was destroyed he broke from his line code and has served on various types of craft either civilian transports but has mainly been with privateers.

"Away Team"
Name: Frazer Naylor
Description and history: age 17 human from Earth with blonde hair military style buzz cut. Wears camouflage fatigues since he is a deserter from Earth Force Marine Corps and has turned rogue. Has basic rifle and battle field aid skills given to conscripts. Carries basic kit, flak jacket, Bergen, Bull Pup style Mk 45 standard issue Self Loading Rifle with optic sights and Combat Knife.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:32:29 am by Oddball »

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 10:06:45 am »
Hehe, I bet Frazer would have gotten quite a shock when encountering Torgal for the first time since he would be wearing an exo-armor interface body glove with senior rank seargeant markings of the same corps XD

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 02:46:38 pm »
Waiting be approved before posting anything to the story. could my Engineer character be this so called expert of the Gov's?

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 03:03:48 pm »
The expert is going to be a pure NPC.

First char is way over the top on cyborging for this setting. Artificial limbs exist but they do not give massive advantages and you cannot have extra limbs. The artificial eyes functions are over the top as well.

I'll say that any artificial eyes are limited to 20 megapixel with 3x digital zoom, 24 hour battery life. Recharging and data port is a small dot just in front of the ear on the side the eye is on.

Accuracy is limited with artificial limbs as well, precision tools are usually not suited for use as attachments to them. Weapons accuracy matters less because the body is always twitching anyways so superhuman accuracy is never expected when shooting and even non milspec modern combat weapons have an extremely limited ability to self correct.

Second char looks fine, maybe add in some vehicle training because we can always use more shuttle pilots and I'm pretty sure that it would be a pretty common skill.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 03:28:37 pm »
Ok here's my second character. Working on my main one just now:

?Away Team?
Name: Frazer Naylor
Description and history: age 17 human from Earth with blonde hair military style buzz cut. Wears camouflage fatigues since he has just deserted from the Earth Force Marine Corps 4th Battalion, and has turned rogue. Has basic rifle, battle field aid and transport skills given to conscripts. Carries basic field kit consisting of flak jacket, Bergen, Bull Pup style Mk 45 Self Loading Rifle with optic sights and Combat Knife.

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 03:40:12 pm »
Maybe add a few years to his age too unless this is his first trip. In pure travel time the Lucre can do about 180 light years per real year, not counting stops. That's not long at all. In the coma you don't stop aging either. Assume about 3 months awake time for every 12 months spent on a ship where the crew isn't kept awake during the journey. A 50 light year trip can take 5 or 6 months total time.

I designed the FTL this way both as a limitation to speed and as a reason the ships will be fully repaired between episodes and everyone healed up. Repairs can be done while flying, the crew just doesn't go to sleep. Injuries heal during the coma.

On family run ships, few people go into coma during the trips since there's children and such to take care of (for obvious reasons children can't spend the vast majority of their formative years asleep). On Ark ships nobody uses that.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 03:54:16 pm »
Ok make Frazer 19 out on his first operation but mainly he does not want to be there, that's why he deserted. hows this for my engineer character?

Name: Mitchell Gant, but usually gets called Chief or Flight.
 Position:  Chief Flight Engineer/Mechanic
Description: humanoid from Lunar 12 on Earth Halo, late 40?s short cropped black hair going white and pale skin colour since he mainly stays in the artificial half light with his beloved propulsion systems. Wears white oil/grease stained standard Military issue overalls and never with out a rag or some sort of lock wrench in his pockets, wears black steel toe capped combat boots.

History: Inducted into the Omnishia Temple at the heart of Lunar 12 where he learned basic mechanical skills to become a Class A Line worker (refuelling and basic repairs).  after showing the capacity for understanding more about the Mechanicus was then moved up into the higher levels being taught Machine Code, Propulsion Systems, air frame design and intensive repair with minimal support. Gant finally left the Temple as a Class G rated mechanic and was drafted into the military serving aboard various classes of craft (cruisers up to carriers) eventually gaining the rank of Chief Flight Engineer.   After being reported as KIA when the cruiser he was on got attacked by pirates he lost faith in the System and started working with various operations. 

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 04:04:05 pm »
That works. Sorry to stamp down on ya, I just hate the brainbug some people have about artificial parts always being better than natural ones.
Feel free to join in as though you were here the whole time, even being in the meeting as though you came in and sat down with everyone else.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2011, 04:09:48 pm »
No worries, been reading the Horus Heresy Mechanicum again that's where most of the ideas came from about Gant (who came from Fire fox).

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2011, 01:02:38 am »
Brekk, I had meant the Lucre's fuel. The shuttles have to be refuelled on the ground every trip up anyways.

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2011, 01:17:58 am »
I know. I was actually referring to the Lucre. Doing such a roundtrip will cost.