Author Topic: Chapter 30: Discussion  (Read 70634 times)

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 30: Discussion
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2011, 01:27:02 pm »
Hmm, yeah Regina is like May lvl1 version and could be a good match to Crest :P

As for today's page, I kind got a feeling that Blackbird will try to steal a kiss from Bern next update ^^

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2011, 01:48:13 pm »
Hmm not feeling Regina and Crest tbh. XD I'm just more curious what's up with her new mysterious personality, and what happened after she left with Lucient.

Disappointed with today's page -- it would have been nice to have seen a flashback, or having one of them retell an past experience together, or mention Clairen, instead of a vague "hahaha so many memories." While Blackbird is the chapter title and I'm sure we'll see more of her yet, her appearance so far has been disappointing for me.

xrdn

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2011, 02:49:49 pm »
im not feeling the crest/regina but im not saying they wouldnt work well together i just like the idea suspiria/crest i think they work well together
just want to see how things work out i guess

The Ghost

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2011, 03:14:27 pm »
Yay for new battle lines! First over Bern's personality, now over who Crest should date!

Hmm not feeling Regina and Crest tbh

As of right now I am in the same boat. Don't know why, but just not feeling it either. I could see why they make a good couple. Hopefully we'll see more of her.

As for today's page, I kind got a feeling that Blackbird will try to steal a kiss from Bern next update ^^

I got this same vibe. I really think Bern is going to be put to the test here. Could you imagine if Bern and Blackbird did start doing something naughty and the ring turns on...

Enkida

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
    • Baldur's Gate Portraits
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2011, 04:01:32 pm »
Quick art critique: Chapter 30, Page 19, Panel 5 (left side panel, middle row):

I think that horse's back right leg is bending in the wrong direction.  It looks like the horse's knee joint is bending like a human knee joint, that is in a forward direction.  But that particular joint on the hind leg of a horse bends in the other direction when it walks, that is to say, backwards:

Edit, wait, I found a better picture here...

Otherwise looks great.  I'm really intrigued by the character of Blackbird, and I like her design.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:05:23 pm by Enkida »
2 kids = no more comics, but you can still find me doing BG portraits now and then

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2011, 04:04:41 pm »
I wonder what ever happened to Bern's other admirer, Venice.  I would have thought for sure that she'd be hanging out with Glyph and Moby during Maytag's performances. Particularly while Bern was away.  But maybe she'd be embarrassed to confront Maytag after hitting on Bern.

Heck, maybe thats the pair-up.  Regina and Vennice (unlikely since Regina has shown that she's not bisexual or homosexual).

I agree that we might see a kiss stealing moment from Polly, but it could just as easily be her looking over her shoulder as she leaves to come back later or something.  Maybe she'll try to recruit her as well.  I wonder if Bern did mention what she's been up to, such as her relationship with Maytag, or (more likely) her reunion with Clairen and Clairen's death.

Marvallo certainly seems to be a bit of an industrial state, possibly relying on real world mechanics more than magic like Escariot.  I'm sure they have powerful sorcerers and all, but maybe not a university or significant organisation that really drives magic practice and benefits on a large scale.

I could imagine that Solstice might not have such technology due to the fact its surrounded by sorcerer run towns and may even have an aversion to certain technologies as well as sorcery.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2011, 11:23:00 pm »
Vennice is not such open person to hang with Glyph and Moby knowing what they do whatever they want and how open they are about sex, the other guy is too not with them.
So we may set two teams Team May and Team Bern, I kinda would send both Vennice and Crest to Bern's team, and seems Regina is slowly transferring from TB to TM :P

Also yeah, seems we won't get any kind of past flashbacks showing Bern life with her mother, or how she got that scar for now.
Maybe that will be shown when Bern would reunite with her father.

And we still don't know if Bern told Polly what her goal is, to find her father, I don't think either of one wants to mention Clairen, and i would find it strange that person like Bern would mention Polly about having a girlfriend out of the blue if not asked.

So that's why I expect Polly to do something to test bern a bit, and bern will eaither succumb and feel as hell guilty later(even from one small kiss knowing her) or will clearly state then she has a gf.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2011, 01:04:09 am »
I will tell you that I generally want to avoid doing a ton of flashbacks.  There might be a couple, but nothing extensive.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2011, 01:53:55 am »
I'd more imagine something like the time skip between chapter 29, pages 18 and 19 where Crest mentions wanting to talk to Maytag about Suspiria at the end of page 18 and then Maytag burst's out that he's been sleeping with her, letting us know that its been explained.

So we might just have a page start where Polly starts out by saying something like. "Wow, a steady girlfriend for nearly 4 years hu?" and/or "Clairen left shortly after you did.  I wish I'd had a chance to convince her into joining the Enforcers as well.  Maybe she could have avoided this "Thin Man" and her fate if I'd tried harder"

Or something like that, I'm just picking quick examples... I wonder if Bern and Maytag still remember the Thin Man, or if the Conclave took the opportunity to wipe all mention of him from their memories while they scanned them... doubtful they'd have done that.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2011, 01:12:36 am »
This was a weird transition of the scene...

Well seems MONEY are the real important thing to have here.

I suppose Bern might be a bit too naive to think that such little amount of money she got will help her find her father in Marvallo where you have to bribe everyone to get something out of them.

So now I kinda expect Polly to laugh from Bern in next scene, but again it may be a total miss like with the kiss last time ::)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2011, 01:26:24 am »
WOW! $600 for a night?

...well, if its an entire night, maybe thats not so expensive.

If we presume that 1 Platinum = 10gold then she should have $20,000.

We know that 1 Gold = $10
http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic/book0/fs03pg03.html

Although, I recall it mentioned somwhere that the value of gold was double that (i.e. 1 Gold = $20) but can't remember where that was written... Maybe its in the notes or forum somewhere *shrug*.

EDIT: WAIT! I can't tell if Platinum is more expensive than Gold or not.  If Maytag had more Platinum than Gold in her bag then that suggests it's worth less than Gold: http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=355

So if we presume it's 1/10th then she only has $200  :o
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:31:33 am by charles »

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2011, 01:40:02 am »
I agree Kiran, kinda weird transition, and I also agree Bernadette seems a little naive, almost little girl lost. She's traveled a fair lot, you'd think she'd be more self assured. Maybe meeting Blackbird and going back to your roots will do that to you.  :-\ I can't remember but I'm guessing platinum is not as much as gold.

Polly: You don't have nearly enough money to stay at an inn!
Bern: That's okay, I'll just camp outside. With my magical horse.
Polly: Camping with magical horses is illegal in Marvallo. You're going to have to spend the night at my place.
Bern: Let me protest a little before you insist and I finally agree and this leads to further possible sexual tension.
Polly: K

Xakyrie

« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2011, 03:30:41 am »
I'm surprised no one's catching the undertones here.  
follow along with me
Polly: "Sometimes I wish we could go back to the way we were."
end scene. end romantic feelings and niceness and all around good natured for old times sake.

now refresh, start again with next panels.

"its nothing, always pay extra if you want good service."
expectant looks follow... for those who are equally naive, she's asking for a tip for being her guide, as that was good service.

next page.

"... you really HAVE been gone a long time."
smile gone.
she then asks about money, saying the word MONEY, not once, or twice, but THREE times.

it's now become extortion and betrayal of old friends.

psh, all this drama over possible flings, this is so much more delicious as Bernadette meets betrayal after betrayal.
perhaps enough of it and she'll drop the nice girl act and attack of her own vocations.
remember: the comic IS titled FlipSide.  expect every reversal and twist.

also, judging from the picture listed here : http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=355
its very likely that platinum is worth more than gold as its listed on top.  the question is how much more?  i'm betting 1000 gold coins = 1 platinum.
so the problem is naive Bernadette has just possibly mentioned that she's carrying 200 Platinum, or 200,000 gold coins.
with the only hint of current pricings being "hey honey, one night is 60 gold", i'm sure the serious over kill of (again possible) gold coins is going to stir up some trouble to some prying ears.  I don't know about you, but I know its stupid to mention i've got 200,000 in cash on me when i'm walking through a street with lots of people wearing hoods to hide their faces.  That place looks crowded, and exceptionally shady.

on the other hand, if 200plat is worth like nothing >.>  i vote bernadette gets into some serious trouble for starting a fight.
besides, with all the hubbub on money and prices and that the ONLY law is No Force, and there are No Taxes... kinda makes it a scammers dream.
buyer beware, no using force if you get pissed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:52:54 am by Xakyrie »

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2011, 04:35:12 am »
yep, Bern is definietly about to get tricked.

(Still reading the comic actively, Brion. Still going strong! <3 )
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2011, 07:22:17 am »
GODDESS OF CUTENESS!!!  :-*

Yeah, either a fully scam from Polly here, or a trick to get them closer.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2011, 02:23:52 pm »
yep, Bern is definietly about to get tricked.

Not with her friend there, she won't. Recall that Bern's buddy is a cop of a sort there, and apparently just as bad as Bern herself, here. Only a fool would try something stupid.  ;D

Yeti

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2011, 11:27:00 am »
EDIT: WAIT! I can't tell if Platinum is more expensive than Gold or not.  If Maytag had more Platinum than Gold in her bag then that suggests it's worth less than Gold: http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=355

Maytag also has more gold in her bag than silver, and those electrum coins must be priceless. Dealing with coins which are both heavy and take up a good deal of space one should seek to carry as many of the highest denomination possible. No - I think you were right with your initial belief that platinium is worth more than gold returning to the again initial question of how many golds in a platinium.

xrdn

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2011, 05:28:52 pm »
yeah i do believe everything right now is just the calm before the crapstorm

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2011, 06:12:46 pm »
EDIT: WAIT! I can't tell if Platinum is more expensive than Gold or not.  If Maytag had more Platinum than Gold in her bag then that suggests it's worth less than Gold: http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=355

Maytag also has more gold in her bag than silver, and those electrum coins must be priceless. Dealing with coins which are both heavy and take up a good deal of space one should seek to carry as many of the highest denomination possible. No - I think you were right with your initial belief that platinium is worth more than gold returning to the again initial question of how many golds in a platinium.
Yes but in certain times and cultures, silver was considered more valuable than Gold... Or rather, Silver pieces were more valuable than Gold pieces.

If Bern really has $20,000 worth of money on her, I can't imagine that she'd be concerned about money but *shrug*

If she does have that much, maybe she's worried about having enough to still find her father and get home (although Maytag could always bring more for the return journey through the portal).

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2011, 12:41:41 am »
200 platinium is only 2 silver, and stay at inn cost one silver?

Wow Bern really is naive, and poor...

Maybe we could get an info about currency in some intermission.

Or really prices here in Marvallo are much more higher, or Bern camping all the time doesn't have any kind of idea about real prices.

It's really lucky she met her old friend who won't use her, or let's hope she will try ^^

And now we would need a joke page where whole Polly home is decorated with Bern's portraits :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:43:36 am by Kiran »

das-g

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2011, 02:25:22 am »

Makes me wonder whether the metals gold, silver and platinum occur in different relative proportions in the Flipside world than in ours. Or maybe the gold and silver coins are much smaller and lighter than silver coins?

Maelstrom

« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2011, 04:36:18 am »
Quick art critique: Chapter 30, Page 19, Panel 5 (left side panel, middle row):

I think that horse's back right leg is bending in the wrong direction.  It looks like the horse's knee joint is bending like a human knee joint, that is in a forward direction.  But that particular joint on the hind leg of a horse bends in the other direction when it walks, that is to say, backwards:
All mammal knees bend in the same direction.  What you mistake for a knee is the back of the horse's foot - remember, that horses walk on the nail of their single, streightened finger.
Knees and elbows of horses are by their sides:

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4521/horsejoint.png
Blue circle - knee
Red circle - anckle joint (back of the foot).
Green circle - the first joint of the middle toe.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2011, 05:13:49 am »

Makes me wonder whether the metals gold, silver and platinum occur in different relative proportions in the Flipside world than in ours. Or maybe the gold and silver coins are much smaller and lighter than silver coins?

Nah, in earlier times, Silver coins really were more valuable than Gold.  About 15 Gold = 1 Silver was the steady ratio until the 1800s

IronSoul

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2011, 05:48:24 am »
I thought it might also have been a commentary as to how much the value of currency differs across national borders. I mean, wasn't 200 platinum a fairly good amount of money in Iscariot? I wonder if it's a parody on more laws and bureaucracy and its consequences. Or maybe Bernadette's general lack of street smarts.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. I could see Brian going for at least more depth in the world with the currency difference though.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2011, 05:58:45 am »
Yeah, they could also be taking note that inflation is a problem in Marvallo, but if they're using the same coinage I can't imagine that the values of services and wares could differ that much or people of Iscariot would be exporting like mad to Marvallo and coming home with riches.

Its probably more to do with accommodation being scarce or something, so Marvallo (or at least that town) costs a lot for temporary accommodation, rent, land purchase, etc.

But even in our world, 1 Silver ($100) a night isn't too high above the general minimum for staying in a major town or city.

IronSoul

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2011, 06:02:57 am »
Yeah, they could also be taking note that inflation is a problem in Marvallo, but if they're using the same coinage I can't imagine that the values of services and wares could differ that much or people of Iscariot would be exporting like mad to Marvallo and coming home with riches.

Its probably more to do with accommodation being scarce or something, so Marvallo (or at least that town) costs a lot for temporary accommodation, rent, land purchase, etc.

But even in our world, 1 Silver ($100) a night isn't too high above the general minimum for staying in a major town or city.

No no, other way around, other way around. Realistically, even at its highest value, 100 platinum being worth one silver is a huge loss. I'm saying Iscariot is having the economic problems, as platinum is much more valuable than silver (if that was different in the past, I stand corrected, but I've never heard of that) and 200 being knocked down to 2 is also pretty staggering.

I'm saying that Marvallo's economy is actually pretty good in spite of their rather lawless system, while Iscariot's economy is doing poorly.

popeyes

« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2011, 06:33:11 am »
Based on panel 4 of this page: http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic/book0/fs05pg14.html
1 silver = 10 gold

And based on the current chapter page as of this post, http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1249,
1 silver = 100 platinum

In the Flipside universe, for some unknown reason, silver is worth more than gold and platinum (Due to sorcery perhaps?)

Yeti

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2011, 09:34:50 am »
Yes but in certain times and cultures, silver was considered more valuable than Gold... Or rather, Silver pieces were more valuable than Gold pieces.

If Bern really has $20,000 worth of money on her, I can't imagine that she'd be concerned about money but *shrug*

If she does have that much, maybe she's worried about having enough to still find her father and get home (although Maytag could always bring more for the return journey through the portal).

Looks like you were right. I wonder if this actually makes electrum coins the most valuable.

Nettlekid

• Tender Young Virgin
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nettlekid2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2011, 10:46:33 am »
I just...I can't get over the name Polly. That Blackbird looks so tough and cool, badass and running the town. But "Polly" is the equivalent of that same cool girl falling on her face. I can't stop thinking of "Polly wanna cracker," Polly-O string cheese, and of course Basil Fawlty's manic raving "POLLY! Polly!...MANUEL!!" from the British comedy Fawlty Towers. I've been having trouble with Regina (just because that's my mom's name, so it's kind of weird for me >_>) but...Polly...Why not something like Abigail, and her nickname would be like Nightingale/gail?

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2011, 01:09:29 pm »
I just...I can't get over the name Polly. That Blackbird looks so tough and cool, badass and running the town. But "Polly" is the equivalent of that same cool girl falling on her face. I can't stop thinking of "Polly wanna cracker," Polly-O string cheese, and of course Basil Fawlty's manic raving "POLLY! Polly!...MANUEL!!" from the British comedy Fawlty Towers. I've been having trouble with Regina (just because that's my mom's name, so it's kind of weird for me >_>) but...Polly...Why not something like Abigail, and her nickname would be like Nightingale/gail?

I didn't like the name Polly initially but now I'm used to it. I never cared for the name Regina either, and I absolutely hate the name Abigail xD Authors can't please everyone -- they're always going to come up with names and characters and storylines that don't jell with people. I voice when I'm displeased or happy with something in the comic, but I truly believe in the end authors should do their own thing in the end and take suggestions with a grain of salt.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:11:34 pm by vintage »