Author Topic: Chapter 30: Discussion  (Read 70636 times)

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
Chapter 30: Discussion
« on: June 09, 2011, 10:58:54 pm »
This is the thread for discussing chapter 30, "Blackbird."  You may have already guessed what this chapter's about, but there's more... cause this is gonna be a long chapter.  It'll be 60 pages, in fact.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 30: Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:53:28 am »
I can't wait!
60 pages, that will be a ride.

Also Blackbird looks gorgeous, beside Bern she's has the best design so far for me, that spiky bun kind of surprised me, it has to be a hell to stylise if of course this is not a magical hair again kind of thing.
No wonder Bern is so shocked there, Blackbird looks really refined and badass in this look than what we saw of her in that one panel in the past.

One thing bugs me is that we don't see Blackbird's legs in that first panel below the stool she sits on, like they would be cut.

Nettlekid

• Tender Young Virgin
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nettlekid2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 09:17:18 pm »
Oh so wait, is this a flashback or the present? For a moment, following the super-short flashback of cute lil Bern asking to learn the Split Rose, I thought we were moving into a midpoint flashback. For some reason, Bern looked younger to me here than she usually does. But this is happening in the present day, isn't it?

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 10:00:40 pm »
This is in the present, sorry for the confusion.

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 12:51:55 am »
One thing bugs me is that we don't see Blackbird's legs in that first panel below the stool she sits on, like they would be cut.

Proof that she's actually Fata in disguise  ;D

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 06:58:08 am »
I figured it was the present.  We've seen teenage Bern before.

I'm surprised that Blackbird didn't immediately recognize Bern.  With the distinct hair, the scar and the scarf she's kept her whole life, I'd have thought she would be just as easy to spot as Blackbird was for Bern to make out.

Its a very interesting tern of events... I'm trying to remember if this chapter will be the first of Book 7 or the last of Book 6... I think its the last of Book 6.  I wonder if this means that Blackbird is the cover for Book 6. *goes to check other chapter covers*
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 09:00:21 am »
I'm surprised that Blackbird didn't immediately recognize Bern.  With the distinct hair, the scar and the scarf she's kept her whole life, I'd have thought she would be just as easy to spot as Blackbird was for Bern to make out.
Maybe Bernadette was not that important to Blackbird as Blackbird was to Bern.

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 05:54:22 pm »
Or maybe, Blackbird wasn't actually looking for someone. Bernadette is searching for someone and is taking in details. Trying to remember stuff. Blackbird isn't. This is just one of the many days in the job.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 07:20:10 am »
I wonder what Clairen's nickname was... Could it really have been maneater even back then?

...nah, Bern would have realised that an assassin with the same name would be her.

Still loving the angle of parting Bern and Maytag while tempting them with other possible partners... I'm betting Maytag resists but Bern submits to temptation.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 12:07:01 pm »
It would be nice, after all meeting now her first real crush looking so hot and if in future Blackbird would help her find the father and all then who knows ^^
But I doubt it, Bern is a bit too loyal if mind controlling/altering magic isn't involved.
And the nickname for sure is another hidden thing from Bern past May doesn't know about ^^

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 12:16:28 pm »
I like Blackbirds face in that last panel. I really do.
That's all I have to say at the moment.

akashayi

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 03:54:07 am »
sn...snow patch? that's adorable XD

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 04:48:41 am »
It would be nice, after all meeting now her first real crush looking so hot and if in future Blackbird would help her find the father and all then who knows ^^
But I doubt it, Bern is a bit too loyal if mind controlling/altering magic isn't involved.
And the nickname for sure is another hidden thing from Bern past May doesn't know about ^^

I agree, Bernadette is so loyal that I don't really see anything going down between them besides some romantic tension, maybe some looks of longing or a parting kiss on the cheek lol. She's also supposed to have legendary tolerance to alcohol, so I don't think anything to blame on the henny will happen either. If something were to happen by magical means, I don't know, then I hope it isn't a scenario that's hard to swallow.

...But again, who knows what Bernadette might do if Blackbird is her first love? We haven't seen Bernadette interact with anyone else she has/had feelings for, and we know she dated Clairen while pining for Blackbird instead. Bernadette keeps a lot of personal things to herself, and since this is going to be a long chapter and most likely focused on her, I'm really looking forward to getting inside her head and more of her character development. Only thing that's certain is that Bernadette has a taste for sexy women ;)

I also actually hope Maytag cheats on Bernadette. I know Maytag has some iron will, but if her greatest weakness is her promiscuity, I'd like to see her be human and succumb to it.

Jety Lefr

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Close the world, Open the next. -Lain
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 08:23:52 am »
I probably shouldn't be laughing, but "snow-patch" is just too funny!  ;D
"Strive to be better than you've ever been before. Only you can know how much you have, and only you can give yourself more."

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 06:13:42 pm »
Ohhh, Are we thinking Fata is the boy handing out the pamphlet?  He did mention knowing she was friends with Maytag because he was watching her so if Fata already has Maytag's memories she wouldn't need to have been watching.  Maybe Shepherd or Melter with an illusion or potion of possession?

...Maybe Mayweather and Taggerty trying to get her out of her Jester suit while she bathes so they can steal it.

I'm surprised that Maytag didn't figure that Moby would be comfortable with nudity around guys.  Guess its just Regina who needs to agree... Maybe she'll just wear a bathing suit *shrug*.

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 08:15:25 pm »
Soo Regina, trying to get May naked in the bath with you huh?

I guess Glyph hasn't gotten enough bath parties lately ;) But him and Moby though, I hadn't thought of that at all and love the possibility :-*

Trombonefellow

• Rose Petal Acolyte
  • Push Ki
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Trombonefellow
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Key
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 02:16:52 am »
I like the way things are going, but I'm a little annoyed with the rapid change of focus.
I was looking forward to a chapter completely about Bern and dat Blackbird (lawdy lawdy lawd dat Blackbird).
I have a boner...*plays a song*

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 03:30:33 am »
Yeah I'm too not too fond of this perspective change, somehow Glyph, girls and bath irks me in a wrong way ::)

It seems both Moby and Glyph are such kind of people Maytag would find interesting and similiar to her with sleeping around with other openly and not caring about the world, add to that a shy Regina who had gone with drastic change in her life and we might get a nice bath indeed :D

I'm too thinking that this will be a ploy to get Maytag costume so she will have to take up Moby's one.

But I want the story to go back to "Snow patch"!

Of course I don't say that Bern should make-out with Blackbird, but I think for Bern even getting a real kiss with her would be considered a major cheating.

But who knows, maybe this would slowly open Bern to all-girl threesomes :-*

Nettlekid

• Tender Young Virgin
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nettlekid2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 07:03:13 am »
I don't know what everyone else thinks about this, but what Moby said kind of irritates me. I don't believe in relationships, we're just sex buddies...Is EVERY new character in this strip like that? I know that a recurring theme in this comic is to be surprising, breaking away from conventional societal norms, and such freedom of sexual expression is one of the best, most efficient ways to bring that across, but there comes a time when it just becomes boring. I mean, on the very first page Maytag is spinning that out to us. That point of view is a fairly intrinsic part of Maytag's personality, and it works well in that context. When you contrast it with Bern, who's super faithful and strongly believes in relationships, it makes for a good kind of disturbance that builds plot-developing tension. Thus, because it's already a part of Maytag so strongly, the only reinforcement it needs is the sort that comes from a more minor character like Umber, which just provides the sort of "devil on the shoulder" for Maytag. But now, again and again and again we meet characters who may be quite different, with different upbringings and different views on life, but their sexual philosophies are remarkable similar. Especially when sexual philosophy has very little to do with the given situation. I know that the comic is meant to be a little raunchy and fanservice-y, but I also know that the author is talented enough to subtly slip it in without cramming it down our throats. Between Fata Morgana going on about how society perceives all but select types of sex disgusting, and now Moby saying she doesn't believe in relationships...It just gets the point where I stop caring about what anyone says. Am I in the minority about this, or does anyone feel the same way?

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 02:41:25 pm »
Yeah but sexual/relationship philosophy has a lot to do with much of the comic and the relationships between Maytag and Bern, not to mention much of the other major cast.  We tend to explore the extremes of these philosophies and if everyone was the same in the comic it would quickly become quite boring.  Most stories in the modern world tend to involve eccentric people/characters often at the extreme ends of social groups.

Moby is different in the fact that she simply doesn't believe in relationships (at least for herself, possibly everyone).  Moby may even be less experimental sexually than Maytag, heck she could easily be straight, but Maytag obviously likes relationships and getting close to people which is why she's already been involved in two major relationships in her life and tempted to enter others.  Maytag simply likes the notion of open relationships much like Umber's.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 04:33:01 pm »
Yeah, Moby is different from anyone else so far.  She's not into relationships, and I'll just go ahead and tell you that she is in fact totally straight.  May actually does believe in relationships, she just tends to prefer open relationships.  As for straight-forward monogymous people in the comic, there's at least 3 major characters like that, maybe more.  See if you can guess which ones.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 05:06:43 pm »
Bern, Crest, Regina?

Not sure on Crest.  He didn't like the notion of Maytag cheating on someone with him, but if he was in a relationship maybe he'd be happy if it was open *shrug*

MAYBE Suspira.  She did have that threesome but didn't really like it.  Thats probably it for the MAJOR characters.  Some minor ones include Bloody Mary, Nigel... Not sure about Sierra.  She might only want a monogymous relationship for herself, but she was pretty keen to see Crest getting humped by anything and everything with tits.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 01:39:41 am »
Bern, Crest, Regina?

Not sure on Crest.  He didn't like the notion of Maytag cheating on someone with him, but if he was in a relationship maybe he'd be happy if it was open *shrug*

MAYBE Suspira.  She did have that threesome but didn't really like it.  Thats probably it for the MAJOR characters.  Some minor ones include Bloody Mary, Nigel... Not sure about Sierra.  
I too would bet that loyal monogamous ones are Bern, Crest and Regina, maybe also Vennice too from minor characters.
I'll be pretty surprised if Blackbird would turn into monogamous one too, but so far we only know she had a relationship with that former Bern gf and nothing more.
She might only want a monogymous relationship for herself, but she was pretty keen to see Crest getting humped by anything and everything with tits.
She was just a desperate mother there.

As for current page it really looks like Regina is forcing herself to live up to May standards.
Regina doesn't know that May has a girlfriend, right?

As for how sexuality and take on relationships go I like the variety given in the comic so far, we see various examples coming from both sides, with May and Bern conflict in the middle of things.
Personally I wouldn't like to see Bern change into a person who would be able to accept an open relationship with May(maybe some threesomes from time to time just to keep things lively but nothing more on constant basis, but seriously it would be hard for me to imagine Bern staying calm when someone else, male or female, would be claiming May).
And also I don't want to see May limiting her own happiness just to be with Bern and start to resent her due to it in longer time, or beat herself over if she would now cheat on Bern.

Like I sad many times in the past I wouldn't mind May and Bern breaking up staying of course best friends, but instead getting partners more similiar to their own nature.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:42:10 am by Kiran »

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 05:22:20 am »
Maytag's facial expression at Regina being fine with this is priceless.

Yeah, I'm thinking Regina is trying to push herself to be like Maytag or something.  The Jester suit and occupational change were the first hints and this has fairly well put doubt out of mind.  She's idolised Maytag and is pushing herself to be like her.

Interesting character examination to see just how far someone can go to be someone they're not.

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 10:23:36 am »
This strip made me wonder if there were plans for Regina to end up in a jester suit early on ;)

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 10:41:00 am »
Haha, true.
Now we just have to wait till May will brick Regina out of this 8)

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 11:48:33 am »
This strip made me wonder if there were plans for Regina to end up in a jester suit early on ;)

Yep, there was!

akashayi

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 10:49:51 pm »

Yep, there was!

Sneaky! *stocks up on bricks*

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 04:55:19 am »

Yep, there was!
Don't tell me that Bern too will turn into jester and will have her own official brick act? :o
Jester triangle combo where Bern throws bricks instead of pie ^^

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 07:15:06 am »
I could see Bern juggling bricks too. She'll end up getting her own D-bag and fighting enemies with an endless supply of throwing bricks that she pulls out from nowhere.