Author Topic: Chapter 30: Discussion  (Read 70626 times)

ducky_worshiper

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 30: Discussion
« Reply #300 on: November 04, 2011, 08:00:05 am »
When was it ever dangerous to others?

I would say chapter 2 page 43 and onwards.  Although it would be more interesting if she didn't take initiative without her costume because she really didn't care about Crest getting punched and Orransong getting stabbed.  But that doesn't seem in character for what we've learned of Maytag, the girl who can rescue anybody from any situation at the mere cost of her own health, either.

This scene is the one that pops immediately to mind; however, I'd honestly have to reread the archives to answer this (something I won't have time to do until my weekend).

That being said, the guy in the last panel claiming "Good show!" bothers me.  Maybe, *maybe*, for someone who has already shown interest in, and has a history with, Maytag it could be somewhat interesting (as it is for the readers), but looking at it objectively...  If I were some random person who went to a bar/club/whatever to see an entertainer contest, this just wouldn't be entertaining.  I agree that the rules never said "funny" specifically, but I would just be sitting there going "um, wtf just happened? This is stupid/weird..."  I'm really confused as to how she intends to win based off of "Teehee strangers I like to pretend I'm shy so people like me ^_^"

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #301 on: November 04, 2011, 09:32:12 am »
I would say chapter 2 page 43 and onwards.  Although it would be more interesting if she didn't take initiative without her costume because she really didn't care about Crest getting punched and Orransong getting stabbed.  But that doesn't seem in character for what we've learned of Maytag, the girl who can rescue anybody from any situation at the mere cost of her own health, either.

But what could she have actually done to help Crest in that situation?   It's already shown that there's nothing much she can do to attack Voulger directly.  What would she have accomplished by not acting shy?

Instead, wouldn't it be better for her to pretend to be embarrased and weak so that she could attack Voulger when his guard was down?

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: November 04, 2011, 10:31:37 am »
If you're paying attention, you may have noticed that we've seen Maytag break character out of costume before.  In particular, in the flashback starting at chapter 11 page 18, there is nothing shy about the way Maytag is acting.

contreras

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #303 on: November 08, 2011, 11:21:38 am »
Still as in many posts before, I have no idea why she thought this was a good moment to share this info with.

my theory is that she felt outwitted by the "prank" so she needed something strong intelectually to counter attack

plus, bernadette is not there to overreact so it's a pretty good time to make the confession

TheCycoONE

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #304 on: November 09, 2011, 10:03:38 am »
That being said, the guy in the last panel claiming "Good show!" bothers me.  Maybe, *maybe*, for someone who has already shown interest in, and has a history with, Maytag it could be somewhat interesting (as it is for the readers), but looking at it objectively...  If I were some random person who went to a bar/club/whatever to see an entertainer contest, this just wouldn't be entertaining.  I agree that the rules never said "funny" specifically, but I would just be sitting there going "um, wtf just happened? This is stupid/weird..."  I'm really confused as to how she intends to win based off of "Teehee strangers I like to pretend I'm shy so people like me ^_^"

Guy in the last panel knows her.  At least I think it's the same guy has been stalking her since: http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=315.  Assuming it is the same guy he's more interested in character development than crude comedy.

As for the crowd in general, if they end up liking it we can assume that Brian didn't show us her entire show and after the reveal she went on to make a bunch of really funny jokes.

danzig

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #305 on: December 05, 2011, 08:37:55 am »
So Maytag just lost the competition for going into half an hour of boring exposition in the middle of a comedy routine, right?

Looks like their plan worked out after all!