Author Topic: Chapter 38: Discussion  (Read 32221 times)

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 38: Discussion
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2013, 07:27:59 am »
She's crazy pants, but she's not insane.  She has some sort of cunning plan.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2013, 07:43:11 am »
Crest is already infected. His hair is being eaten away, along with his cheek.

Going by the look on her face, Suspira's resigned herself to die too.

It looks like she brought Crest there not only to witness, but so he wouldn't be left behind. She knows how much it hurts to be the one left behind after Kindred's death, and now the murder of her parents.

It wouldn't be surprising if she fully intended to take him with her from the beginning.

No. I respectfully disagree. Suspria certainly isn't going to assume Crest would feel the same pain she felt after Kindred's death. I think she'd die, but she wouldn't take Crest with her like this, not without his permission, at least. It wouldn't make any sense in that aspect. Crest still has issues to settle with Maytag...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:45:31 am by SAGG »

Shazam

• Collared Pet
  • Better than Morning Coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2013, 09:16:58 am »
I don't think so. Remember, she was asking for 'his help'

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1947

We haven't yet seen why he's there and what help, but this is so far exactly according to her plan. I think precisely because of Kin, she is going to be more likely to have planned for once rather than just have gone in brash and overconfident in her abilities, and we're seeing that planning so far despite her anger.

SparcMan

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • SparcMan's World
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2013, 10:13:28 am »
In spite of whatever has happened to her, she still seems to care about Crest and it seems unlikely she would put him in harms way so recklessly. She doesn't look alarmed either. I'm pretty sure she already has a plan to deal with this situation. On a side note, it seems like the flesh-eating bacteria cause no pain to the victim as none of the mages nor even Crest seems to be in any kind of pain. I suppose nerve endings are simply destroyed so quickly, that no pain response is generated.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2013, 06:26:10 pm »
Ha! Crest has Wound healer! lol!

"You thought I was crazy..."

Don't answer Crest!  Just kiss her then screw her til' she squeals!  All better... lol!

That dress on her looks even better... on the floor around her feet! :)
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2013, 07:13:47 pm »
Ha! Crest has Wound healer! lol!

"You thought I was crazy..."

Don't answer Crest!  Just kiss her then screw her til' she squeals!  All better... lol!

That dress on her looks even better... on the floor around her feet! :)

Huh. Forgot about that sword. Guess Suspria wins, huh?  ::)

Andrea

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2013, 12:43:58 am »
Oh my God, Brion please don't kill Suspiria!

She's still getting her flesh eaten while Crest is immune.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2013, 07:48:50 am »
Nah I think its obvious...well 'implied obvious' that Crest must have stabbed her with the blade first to cure the infection... and then himself.

'heh'...now to stab her again... only sweet-like, with a different weapon..! {Lascivious Grin :)}
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Shazam

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2013, 03:10:31 pm »
Nah I think its obvious...well 'implied obvious' that Crest must have stabbed her with the blade first to cure the infection... and then himself.

'heh'...now to stab her again... only sweet-like, with a different weapon..! {Lascivious Grin :)}

I dunno she's that horny, she's only got 20 or so of them. :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:13:13 pm by Shazam »

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2013, 06:30:14 am »
The New Suspira totally rocks! NOW she's really living up to the "genius" name.

As Sebastian once sang...

"Don't be shy, come on and Kiss de Girl!"

Speaking of clothes....

I've heard the saying "the clothes make the [man/woman]" before, but Qtalda takes it way too literally.

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2013, 07:17:17 am »
Dunno.  She kind of looks like she might be up the creek.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2013, 07:35:42 pm »
Okay, NOW I see what's finally culminated here. The new question is this: What's Crest waiting for? Why the (agonizingly long) pause?

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2013, 08:20:41 pm »
Sure looks like she's committing suicide.

Saratje

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2013, 09:55:02 pm »
I half suspect she'll change back to her usual self if stabbed again. It makes sense she'd drop the powers (but also her 'monster' looks) for Crest out of love.

Alternately, the sword shatters or breaks and Susperia goes far away to keep the disease from spreading. Thinking her dead, we may bump into her again in 5 chapters or so. Only to find out there's now also multiple Susperias without the memories or empathy of the original.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2013, 02:02:31 am »

.. No.  I think this is a test to see if Crest is really faithful to her.

Will he heal her or not  I don't know if I believe Susperia is in any actual danger... she trying to gauge how loyal he is... does he trust her enough even though she may 'seem' monstrous?

Does he love her?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:11:57 am by sunphoenix »

Enkida

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
    • Baldur's Gate Portraits
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2013, 02:44:25 am »
What's Crest waiting for? Why the (agonizingly long) pause?

I'd guess it's because he's not 100% certain stabbing her in the heart won't kill her, and Crest really is friends with Suspira and not batshit like some other characters in this comic. ;-)

I did have a question, though maybe someone mentioned it before.  How is the spell going to stop spreading?  We saw in an earlier panel already that it was taking out the vegetation.  Does it just peter out?  Or is it going to keep going, hit the city, destroy the world as we know it, etc?  (I don't think so, but I'm wondering how it dies out without taking out, well, everything with no counterspell.)
2 kids = no more comics, but you can still find me doing BG portraits now and then

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2013, 08:13:21 am »
@ Enkida - Yes, that was my second thought too.   Crest's expression is one of genuine concern... not quite the same as the expressions I've seen on Crest when he is afraid.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2013, 05:27:09 am »
What Crest is thinking. "Does it have to be the heart?"

Enkida

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
    • Baldur's Gate Portraits
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2013, 02:42:48 pm »
Ah, we're sorta wrong.

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1981

Second panel. I missed it because it's so tiny (aside: that scene should've been bigger IMO) - Crest cured himself by stabbing himself in the heart, and even said "I feel weird" while the sword was sticking out of him.

EDIT except technically that's not his heart, he stabbed himself in the sternum (OUCH, he must be pretty strong!)?  So maybe you are right ;)

On the more interesting second question, maybe the flesh eating spell stopped spreading when the caster died?  It'd be nice to have an official clue though.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 02:44:52 pm by Enkida »
2 kids = no more comics, but you can still find me doing BG portraits now and then

SparcMan

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • SparcMan's World
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2013, 01:10:22 am »
Perhaps he's feeling a bit squeamish about stabbing his girlfriend despite her physical appearance.

weirdguy

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2013, 03:11:16 am »
eh, kinda like that sword from inuyasha, apparently not capable of causing any harm

wonder who she stole that from hahaha

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2013, 11:22:58 am »
Perhaps he's feeling a bit squeamish about stabbing his girlfriend despite her physical appearance.

This.  Well put Sparc.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2013, 05:18:28 am »
Ah, we're sorta wrong.

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1981

Second panel. I missed it because it's so tiny (aside: that scene should've been bigger IMO) - Crest cured himself by stabbing himself in the heart, and even said "I feel weird" while the sword was sticking out of him.

EDIT except technically that's not his heart, he stabbed himself in the sternum (OUCH, he must be pretty strong!)?  So maybe you are right ;)

On the more interesting second question, maybe the flesh eating spell stopped spreading when the caster died?  It'd be nice to have an official clue though.

Well, the fact that Crest has not been re-infected implies that the "spell" has stopped spreading.

Even without evidence, Suspira's assertion is correct. Qtalda wouldn't have thought so little of killing Suspira's parents, nor been so good at it if she and her little band hadn't been doing it (and worse) for quite some time. They HAD to be stopped. The fact that they were the instrument of their own destruction was the sweetest part.

Crest, the world would NOT be a better place without Suspira. Save her, please, if you can.

SparcMan

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • SparcMan's World
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2013, 07:53:43 am »
I was going to feel pretty bad about Crest losing his girlfriend, but I'm not going to feel much pity for him if he lets her die.

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2013, 08:29:49 am »
I'm a little concerned that no one is going to be there to fix him if Crest breaks.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2013, 09:33:11 am »
@ Azure Priest and SparcMan - I agree 100% 

I'm glad Crest chose to trust her... loves kinda like that.  You trust your heart and hope the other is worthy of your faith... the alternative, is very lonely.

She was truthful with him {we hope..}, willing to just die if the one person she trusted felt it was best... and so he chose to trust her.

Sounds like the start of a Very nice relationship...  I hope it works out for them.  Crest may be a little... too cautious and pensive in his actions for all of us red-blooded fire & passion freaks, but I think he's a good guy on the whole.  He deserves a good woman to love.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:37:34 am by sunphoenix »

Shazam

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2013, 10:08:40 am »
I think this is pretty much the sensical approach. She really is scary now, and prior examples of Thin Man work center on Mary which doesn't set a great precedent. On the other hand, she was right and never actually 'attacked' the Phalanx members. She just set up a trap if they decided to attack her. If they'd decided to discuss it, they'd all still be alive.

Hopefully for both Suspiria and Crest something positive can be at the end of this rather than sacrifice and one or both of them being the ever melancholy and unlucky in love symbols for the strip. I suspect there is a good bit to come though, and look forward to reading it.

bartok

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2013, 12:29:42 pm »
I was getting nervous that maybe Suspiria really would get the ax. After all, it can be tricky to keep a story interesting when you have upset the power balance with an unreasonably strong character. As usual Brian, you've got me on pins and needles. Can't wait to see what happens next.

It appeared to me that Suspirira voluntarily infected herself the moment she touched ground. Regardless, it's interesting that she chose to give Crest the power to decide life and death for her.

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2013, 03:23:41 pm »
I think this is pretty much the sensical approach. She really is scary now, and prior examples of Thin Man work center on Mary which doesn't set a great precedent. On the other hand, she was right and never actually 'attacked' the Phalanx members. She just set up a trap if they decided to attack her. If they'd decided to discuss it, they'd all still be alive.

Hopefully for both Suspiria and Crest something positive can be at the end of this rather than sacrifice and one or both of them being the ever melancholy and unlucky in love symbols for the strip. I suspect there is a good bit to come though, and look forward to reading it.

If it was Something Positive, I'm pretty sure that the Redneck Tree would have gotten Crest by now.

Shazam

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2013, 10:08:13 am »
Aww. Now some fun stuff is coming. I forget, does May know about Suspiria?

As a side note, while I assume she'll heal as Crest did, I sort of like flesh eating cancer survivor Suspiria look. And Bryon! You almost had boobage! What's the world coming to when Flipside gives up that opportunity?