Author Topic: Chapter 38: Discussion  (Read 32227 times)

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 38: Discussion
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 12:27:01 pm »
And you know that's not lean meat.

weirdguy

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 01:37:59 pm »
sorry to be critical here, but i think the sudden narration followed by the "tweeeest" sort of killed the impact of the whole thing

like, if there wasn't any words on that page, i think it would work better

ps: bloody mary in hoodie = cute

Smiles

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Easter is gonna be great!Heard he will Rise Again!
    • View Profile
    • AnimeCentral
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 01:08:38 am »
3 bloody marys? *blinks* color me intrigued
Just loving it! :-*
let's sit and chat a while and see if I don't make you smile .;)

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 08:08:33 pm »
OK having trouble with updates only coming three times a week now...these last few pages have left me dying to see the next one.

Why the hell indeed are there 3 Marys???  I assume Suspiria's fine, then, as well.  But what's happening??  Is the phalanx going down?  I hope there is at least partial resolution by the end of this chapter!  So many big cans of worms have been opened!

Shazam

• Collared Pet
  • Better than Morning Coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 07:49:04 am »
Well things are interesting then.

So some interesting questions that come up then are:

Does the spell do what Qtilda thinks it does? Perhaps it isn't simply a flesh eating disease, but something that disassembles and reassembles people elsewhere. Since we now have nano-magico machines floating about it's possible.

Was Qtilda perhaps an earlier experiment of the Thin Man? Is that why his/her face is covered and judgement is more extreme?

Where did the spell even come from?

Where are the 3 Marys, as obviously they are still getting fed people so not being held by an 'altruist'.

Fun times, fun times.

Jindra34

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 10:45:24 am »
And Qtilda's plan completely failed. Check better next time Qtilda.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 12:54:04 pm »
If there is a next time, by which I'm thinking somehow there won't...

Saratje

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2013, 01:38:16 am »
Theory: Whenever someone cuts a limb off Mary, not only does Mary grow a new limb, but the amputated limb itself also grows a new Mary.

One of the Mary's has much longer hair, I'm guessing she's the original, and not the Mary who got 'erased'.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:42:08 am by Saratje »

Jindra34

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 05:46:49 am »
Hey, what happened to the box?

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2013, 06:36:11 am »
Suspira - "How will you kill me when you're already dead?"

LOL!  Ok Kenshiro! :)

"Blade II", Blade - "...couldn't you just blush?"
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2013, 05:38:41 pm »
Hey, what happened to the box?

Guess it disappeared when they stopped focusing on creating it.

Shazam

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2013, 12:38:26 am »
Interesting.

A few questions:

• In panel 5, is that supposed to be the mage lifting his hand and seeing it being eaten away?
  • If it's a retribution trap and only the caster has the spell reflected, why are people other than Qtilda getting eaten away? Wouldn't it actually just put a box trap around the other casters?
  • Halcyon wasn't involved in the casting at all, so why would any spell reflect on him?

And not much there under Qtilda's clothing. I think another reveal is still due :)

Fun times.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:42:25 am by Shazam »

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 01:26:10 am »
Interesting.

A few questions:

• In panel 5, is that supposed to be the mage lifting his hand and seeing it being eaten away?
  • If it's a retribution trap and only the caster has the spell reflected, why are people other than Qtilda getting eaten away? Wouldn't it actually just put a box trap around the other casters?
  • Halcyon wasn't involved in the casting at all, so why would any spell reflect on him?

And not much there under Qtilda's clothing. I think another reveal is still due :)

Fun times.

Not to mention that Halcyon seemed to be not quite as much as a bad guy as the others here. he should be given a tiny break for his complicity. Man, things are REALLY getting interesting now...

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2013, 07:38:02 am »
Well things are interesting then.

So some interesting questions that come up then are:

Does the spell do what Qtilda thinks it does? Perhaps it isn't simply a flesh eating disease, but something that disassembles and reassembles people elsewhere. Since we now have nano-magico machines floating about it's possible.

Was Qtilda perhaps an earlier experiment of the Thin Man? Is that why his/her face is covered and judgement is more extreme?

Where did the spell even come from?

Where are the 3 Marys, as obviously they are still getting fed people so not being held by an 'altruist'.

Fun times, fun times.

Well, first guess is that even though the "Thin Man" may have called Mary a "failure," the others, especially Melter called her a "breakthrough" and they simply created more of her. Considering that Thin Man doesn't seem to give a hoot what his organization members do (outside from bringing him fresh test subjects), one or more of his subordinates could easily be experimenting on those three "Bloody Mary."
Interesting.

A few questions:

Fun times.

Qtalda revealed that the "Spell" is not a D&D "disintegrate" spell, but in fact summons a rather nasty bacterium that eats all organic elements. As Pru of "Charmed" once said about the "Nothing," "Good, bad it all tastes the same." This bacterium spread through the grass and weeds along the ground and got everyone in attendance, except for Suspira who is airborne because Qtalda did not have a containment "box" placed around her beforehand.

As for Halcyon, even if he is somehow not liable for the actions of his subordinates, he is still guilty of extreme criminal negligence in Suspira's case, as a simple contact attempt with Suspira's parents (for counselling if nothing else) would have quickly shown something was wrong. Further, since Qtalda's story clearly shows that Suspira's parents attempted to pull her out of school, and were quite adamant, their sudden "acceptance" and years-long silence should have been blaring alarm bells that Halcyon ignored.

The really scary thing about this is how thoroughly Suspira thought this through. To date she's been way too impulsive to pull something like this off. I just hope she's got some kind of plan to keep Crest from getting infected. Seeing how she may not know the true nature of Qtalda's spell, however, I consider the chances slim.

To the confessed murderer, Qtalda and her merry band of collusionists, I say "payback's a bitch, bitch! Hope YOU like being 'erased.' It's for the good of the country, after all. We can't have the Conclave go 'rogue' and start slaughtering citizens without trial now can we?"

Shazam

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 10:11:15 am »

Qtalda revealed that the "Spell" is not a D&D "disintegrate" spell, but in fact summons a rather nasty bacterium that eats all organic elements. As Pru of "Charmed" once said about the "Nothing," "Good, bad it all tastes the same." This bacterium spread through the grass and weeds along the ground and got everyone in attendance, except for Suspira who is airborne because Qtalda did not have a containment "box" placed around her beforehand.

Though he has used it before. I suppose he may have some sort of 'autoclave' spell to sterilize the cube. I admit I thought about whether it was just the spell spreading naturally in the grass, but that doesn't quite mesh with what Suspira claimed her false dummy did, which was reflect a spell on the person who cast it. Of course, she could have just lied but they were already afflicted.

As for Halcyon, even if he is somehow not liable for the actions of his subordinates, he is still guilty of extreme criminal negligence in Suspira's case, as a simple contact attempt with Suspira's parents (for counselling if nothing else) would have quickly shown something was wrong. Further, since Qtalda's story clearly shows that Suspira's parents attempted to pull her out of school, and were quite adamant, their sudden "acceptance" and years-long silence should have been blaring alarm bells that Halcyon ignored.

The really scary thing about this is how thoroughly Suspira thought this through. To date she's been way too impulsive to pull something like this off. I just hope she's got some kind of plan to keep Crest from getting infected. Seeing how she may not know the true nature of Qtalda's spell, however, I consider the chances slim.

To the confessed murderer, Qtalda and her merry band of collusionists, I say "payback's a bitch, bitch! Hope YOU like being 'erased.' It's for the good of the country, after all. We can't have the Conclave go 'rogue' and start slaughtering citizens without trial now can we?"

I wasn't really questioning whether Halcyon or anyone else was liable. I was more trying to picture how the effects of the flesh eating microbes afflicting everyone indiscriminately represented the 'reflection' of the spell back on the caster.

I'm still curious what will show up under Qtilda's robes, as unlike everyone else there isn't any decaying meat there, it's just empty. Hmm.

It's amusing, but it's fun to finally have bad things happen to what seem to be bad people. Nice cathartic.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2013, 10:33:27 am »

Hm. It's that cut and dry? Suspira's really not that much better than the Conclave to take the law into her own hands, you know...

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2013, 11:12:04 am »

Hm. It's that cut and dry? Suspira's really not that much better than the Conclave to take the law into her own hands, you know...

I don't believe Suspira is all that concerned about the law or the welfare of the country. 

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2013, 11:15:55 am »

I don't believe Suspira is all that concerned about the law or the welfare of the country.

Right, and that's my point. She's no better than they are. She might as well cast that spell on herself, since the object(s) of her hate just might be destroyed. What would she have left to do is she succeeds? Destroy everyone else?

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2013, 01:17:30 pm »
I would argue Suspira is better.  No one has invested any responsibility with her.  Abusing Great Power is bad.  Abusing Great Power when you have been invested with Great Responsibility is reprehensible.  The crimes individual members of the Conclave committed deserved death (though perhaps not all).  They behaved corruptly by killing people without trial, basically denying those they had promised to protect basic human rights.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2013, 07:26:17 pm »
I would argue Suspira is better.  No one has invested any responsibility with her.  Abusing Great Power is bad.  Abusing Great Power when you have been invested with Great Responsibility is reprehensible.  The crimes individual members of the Conclave committed deserved death (though perhaps not all).  They behaved corruptly by killing people without trial, basically denying those they had promised to protect basic human rights.

So noted. However, where do we go from here if Suspira succeeds? Guess we'll find out.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2013, 06:21:18 am »

Yes, it is. Suspira is clearly acting in self-defense. That is NOT taking the law into your own hands, anymore then shooting an armed robber who breaks into your house. The Conclave (especially Qtalda) has not only confessed to murdering her parents, but have graphically demonstrated their intent and ABILITY to murder her, and upon failing to do so, have stated their unwavering intention to continue attempting to do so until they succeed, regardless of how many others get killed in the process. I should point out how Qtalda told the rest of her accomplices to search the woods for witnesses and "erase them."

Suspira, on the other hand, has given Qtalda every opportunity to not only confess, but to turn herself in. Heck, she even let her doll be "captured" and put up no resistance whatsoever. In fact, Suspira did not cast a single spell on any of the Conclave members, nor did she so much as lift a finger in their general direction. She did express outrage at Qtalda's blase admission that her parents died "for the good of [the country]," and the fact that she held the entire conclave responsible for their murder, but did not mention a single threat at any of them. Had they given her a fair trial instead of attempting to summarily execute her, they'd all still be alive.

At worst, Suspira is guilty of assaulting her fellow students, but as we saw with their behavior at Kin's funeral, when she was eating  dinner with Crest (where they assaulted her), and as they were heading to their dorms (thinking they were unsupervised talking to each other, planning further mischief directed at Suspira), she may well be justified in her attack on them. Halcyon also pointed out that this action is not deserving of death.

I do agree that we have to wonder what Suspira will do now. She is still quite angry, and bitter, and I don't blame her.

As to the three "Mary," I had a rather disturbing thought. Maybe they will be Poly and Bernadette's opponents. It's a pretty sweet deal for Mary and that country.

There really is no "downside" for her. As long as she's in the arena cells, the phalanx can't touch her.  If she kills her opponents, that just means more marks (which means she gets to stay in the cells longer, safe from the phalanx), and catered meals. (Yum)

As for the country, heck, they get rid of their strongest and most dangerous criminals who simply can not abide the "no violence" rule, because only those with a great many marks would choose the arena.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:35:14 am by Azure Priest »

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2013, 02:20:40 pm »

Yes, it is. Suspira is clearly acting in self-defense. That is NOT taking the law into your own hands, anymore then shooting an armed robber who breaks into your house. The Conclave (especially Qtalda) has not only confessed to murdering her parents, but have graphically demonstrated their intent and ABILITY to murder her, and upon failing to do so, have stated their unwavering intention to continue attempting to do so until they succeed, regardless of how many others get killed in the process. I should point out how Qtalda told the rest of her accomplices to search the woods for witnesses and "erase them."

Suspira, on the other hand, has given Qtalda every opportunity to not only confess, but to turn herself in. Heck, she even let her doll be "captured" and put up no resistance whatsoever. In fact, Suspira did not cast a single spell on any of the Conclave members, nor did she so much as lift a finger in their general direction. She did express outrage at Qtalda's blase admission that her parents died "for the good of [the country]," and the fact that she held the entire conclave responsible for their murder, but did not mention a single threat at any of them. Had they given her a fair trial instead of attempting to summarily execute her, they'd all still be alive.

At worst, Suspira is guilty of assaulting her fellow students, but as we saw with their behavior at Kin's funeral, when she was eating  dinner with Crest (where they assaulted her), and as they were heading to their dorms (thinking they were unsupervised talking to each other, planning further mischief directed at Suspira), she may well be justified in her attack on them. Halcyon also pointed out that this action is not deserving of death.

I do agree that we have to wonder what Suspira will do now. She is still quite angry, and bitter, and I don't blame her.

As to the three "Mary," I had a rather disturbing thought. Maybe they will be Poly and Bernadette's opponents. It's a pretty sweet deal for Mary and that country.

There really is no "downside" for her. As long as she's in the arena cells, the phalanx can't touch her.  If she kills her opponents, that just means more marks (which means she gets to stay in the cells longer, safe from the phalanx), and catered meals. (Yum)

As for the country, heck, they get rid of their strongest and most dangerous criminals who simply can not abide the "no violence" rule, because only those with a great many marks would choose the arena.

And so Halcyon deserves the same fate, eh? You seemed to cut him a tiny break. He was completely bamboozled by Qtalda. I'll tell you what: How about Crest, feeling that Suspria's gone too far, thrusts himself in that ring to stop her? Will she continue, I wonder...?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:23:41 pm by SAGG »

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2013, 03:34:53 am »

Personally.. I agree with you 100%!

Halcyon even when Qtalda confessed to her crime and then EVEN told her cronies to search the woods for any witnesses to 'erase'... Halcyon STILL did not speak up or take action to oppose her directly or even condemn her actions! 

Sounds like collusion to me... even if the silent Roman Catholic Church [1940's] assent at Nazi brutality and murder of Jews - "quiet approval".  No less reprehensible!

Perhaps if he would have acted to try and oppose Qtalda... Susprina would have acted to protect him from the spell backlash?
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Shazam

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2013, 01:02:56 pm »
Personally.. I agree with you 100%!

Halcyon even when Qtalda confessed to her crime and then EVEN told her cronies to search the woods for any witnesses to 'erase'... Halcyon STILL did not speak up or take action to oppose her directly or even condemn her actions! 

Sounds like collusion to me... even if the silent Roman Catholic Church [1940's] assent at Nazi brutality and murder of Jews - "quiet approval".  No less reprehensible!

Perhaps if he would have acted to try and oppose Qtalda... Susprina would have acted to protect him from the spell backlash?

Whoa.

Collusion implies some ongoing turning of a blind eye. This seems to be a momentary shock, 'You did what?' while Qtalda and others have a plan they are executing. He just found out he was a 'figurehead' and there was this whole conspiracy under him, and < a minute passes as his world view is shattered.

Not that I'm invested in him as a char, but just calm down on equating lack of immediately challenging half a dozen of his peers, who now are a threat to him too, when he finds out something terrible... to people turning an ongoing blind eye to WWII atrocities.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2013, 03:42:45 pm »
The more I think about it, the more I see Crest being the key to everything here...

Jindra34

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2013, 04:15:39 pm »
Uh-oh... this isn't looking good for Crest.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2013, 07:22:36 pm »
Ok.  Granted perhaps collusion is a little too strong of a word... moot at this point cause the only thing he's in collusion with now is dust!~

And no it does not look too good for Crest nor the entire world if this can't be stopped!

Shazam

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2013, 08:51:44 pm »
Uh-oh... this isn't looking good for Crest.

True, but again she's a Class 4 sorcerer now and a prodigy. This is what she planned for. She likely had a plan, it may even be why Crest is there.

I'm still wondering what Qtalda is. Just air under those clothes and bandages so far. Does she keep her actual body elsewhere? Is that what she meant by having safeguards against the spell?

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2013, 03:17:45 am »
Suspira seems to be resigned to killing herself. Crest might be spared the spell because she'll sacrifice herself--?

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2013, 07:26:44 am »
Crest is already infected. His hair is being eaten away, along with his cheek.

Going by the look on her face, Suspira's resigned herself to die too.

It looks like she brought Crest there not only to witness, but so he wouldn't be left behind. She knows how much it hurts to be the one left behind after Kindred's death, and now the murder of her parents.

It wouldn't be surprising if she fully intended to take him with her from the beginning.