Author Topic: Chapter 29: Discussion  (Read 49569 times)

Shadowcat

Re: Chapter 29: Discussion
« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2011, 01:33:58 am »
@Nettle
I think that May clearly does have feelings for Regina. Kissing her was a sign of affection beyond anything physical, and since Regina wasn't even aware of it, it was only for May's benefit. Besides, Regina was the first person that Fata picked out of May's memories in order to try to seduce her. The fact that it visibly affected May (enough to make her adopt her poker face in later panels) means that is was something that she found very difficult.

But anyway, the reason I decided to finally make an account and post is that i was going through my books, and i found foreshadowing:
http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=222

Perhaps we need to take a closer look at the intermissions from now on D=
(totally not serious)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2011, 04:55:51 am »
Indeed, we'll have to pay more attention to some of the old intermissions... Didn't Maytag say something about the Conclave being a bunch of guys who drank the blood of Virgins? *lol*

Also interesting to note are a few of the things Regina said such as:
"I love Maytag...! She's the best friend I've ever had. I'd die if something were to happen her!!"
"I'll stay by [Lucient's] side... no matter what"
"EWWWW...!! I can't kiss a girl!"

And Maytag to Regina:
"You know. It's probably best that we're parting now... I'm starting to have feelings for you that I shouldn't..."
"I hope he takes care of you and gives you as much attention as I would!  I hope he makes love to you as passionately as I would. I hope he loves you like I would..."

P.S. @Brion: Love the use of "shadows" of the past panels to remind us of the Book0 events.  Two pages and these girls are completely caught up... well... after a quick time lapse where Maytag explains it all and Regina comments on what Maytag's told her probably *lol*
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:14:42 am by charles »
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2011, 12:49:45 am »
Damn, this hit me hard!

Cute little Bern already with her swords and that trademark too big scarf for her, just :-*

And we see the father, I hope next we will see him in whole glory.

garion

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2011, 09:22:12 pm »
 Chapter 11, Page 28

I've been pondering what exactly Orrasong meant when he said The Split Rose was a children's fighting style, but from then on it seems to have served her rather well. (With the exception of the fight with Moss' Uncle.) Are we going to find out pretty soon here what he was talking about or is this something that's been tossed out? xD

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2011, 09:55:41 pm »
It has not been tossed out, don't worry.

BillMo

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2011, 08:11:55 am »
Has anyone thought that Crest and Bern' are siblings?

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2011, 01:32:33 pm »
It's nice to see Bern get some side story action that doesn't involve Maytag. Lately whenever there's a cut scene, it's like 2 pages of Crest or Bern and then back to 15 pages of whatever Maytag's doing. While Flipside is supposed to be a comic about two women, I often feel it's Maytag's story and Bernadette is just a side character in it. I hope Bern gets a long involved backstory or sidequest now :-*

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 23, 2011, 03:43:19 pm »
Keep fingers crossed for a sexy lady to show up who stopped the fight(it isn't Bern I think) who had thrown that ball or something similiar :D

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2011, 04:33:39 pm »
It's nice to see Bern get some side story action that doesn't involve Maytag. Lately whenever there's a cut scene, it's like 2 pages of Crest or Bern and then back to 15 pages of whatever Maytag's doing. While Flipside is supposed to be a comic about two women, I often feel it's Maytag's story and Bernadette is just a side character in it. I hope Bern gets a long involved backstory or sidequest now :-*

Much like we were seeing the story unfold from Crest's perspective through the first two books, I think we tend to see it unfold from Maytag's perspective for the most part now.  What Maytag knows or discovers, we know or discover.  But it could switch to any of them.  Probably going to be Bern making her own discoveries for sometime here.

I don't know about Bern and Crest being siblings. But maybe they're cousins.  Crest knows who his father was and Bern knows who her father is (pretty much) so they know they're different people. But it could be that because their fathers were both Lashoar knights that they were brothers or possibly cousins which still means that Bern and Crest are related, just more distantly.

TheShyOne

• Collared Pet
  • Hidden within the shadows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2011, 04:52:47 pm »
I don't know about Bern and Crest being siblings. But maybe they're cousins.  Crest knows who his father was and Bern knows who her father is (pretty much) so they know they're different people. But it could be that because their fathers were both Lashoar knights that they were brothers or possibly cousins which still means that Bern and Crest are related, just more distantly.

@charles: I'd be in awe if that were true... somewhat. (Sounds like a twist.)
Signified! :P

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2011, 08:01:38 pm »
Keep fingers crossed for a sexy lady to show up who stopped the fight(it isn't Bern I think) who had thrown that ball or something similiar :D

I bet it's a lobster woman.   

I've just got this feeling...

dg86

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2011, 10:34:46 pm »
So we go from Chibi Bern to flashback-Bern-but-with-scar.

Hmmm, I guess the origin of that scar isn't exactly something we're supposed to find out till later huh...

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 24, 2011, 01:21:54 am »
Much like we were seeing the story unfold from Crest's perspective through the first two books, I think we tend to see it unfold from Maytag's perspective for the most part now.  What Maytag knows or discovers, we know or discover.  But it could switch to any of them.  Probably going to be Bern making her own discoveries for sometime here.

That's my point, the intro is said this is a story about two women. Even when it was told from Crest's point of view, it was much more of him crushing on Maytag and stalking her lol, though it was nice to see his background and family life. The story from Book 0 has always been heavily focused on Maytag -- I'm hoping here we'll get a long stint in Bernadette's point of view, or sometime soon. I too hope Blackbird shows up to stir things up a bit.    :-*

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2011, 07:49:04 am »
I too hope Blackbird shows up to stir things up a bit.    :-*
Any chances, that ball throwing woman is Blackbird?

Nettlekid

• Tender Young Virgin
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nettlekid2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: May 24, 2011, 08:02:11 am »
Sorry for my ignorance, but who's Blackbird? I read Book 0, but some of the names are still a little disconnected in my head.

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: May 24, 2011, 08:57:08 am »
Sorry for my ignorance, but who's Blackbird? I read Book 0, but some of the names are still a little disconnected in my head.
IIRC she was not in Book 0. The first mention of her I remember was here: http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=803

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 24, 2011, 11:28:00 am »
What Bern saw in her...
She doesn't look to appealing in that two past panels.
Seems just like Bern had her first puppy crush.

Some bad ass girl showed up in today's extra page update, either Blackbird or maybe someone else from Bern old gang?
That hairstyle and dark lips with collar...
Kinky :P

Don't tell me Blackbird is Marvallo mayor :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:32:44 am by Kiran »

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 24, 2011, 06:45:19 pm »
Still a possibility it's Blackbird with a new hairstyle. Don't know if that's some kind of cigarette holder the new character is using, but Blackbird was smoking in that flashback.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2011, 05:23:21 am »
Looks like the stick of a lollipop to me.  She's clutching it way too tight with her teeth for anything else.

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2011, 09:53:42 am »
Only one law - no violence.
Does that mean theft and fraud and all these things are allowed? Even murder if you find a way to do it without violence?

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2011, 01:13:53 pm »
Why all Brion's dark-haired characters are just so damn hot!?

First Vennice, now this new lady.

Love her style!

Now question is if Bern is shocked since she knows her or it's just about her looks :P

Logical outcome would be this is Blackbird, who instead of being gang leader become an enforcer of law in the city.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 12:48:05 am by Kiran »

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2011, 04:00:00 pm »
It does look like Blackbird, she had a similar center hair cowlick in the flashback.^^

I must agree with Kiran, Vennice and now this new lady are quite striking!  :-* Flipside imo had been lacking in the dark-haired female variety until late.

garion

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2011, 09:53:52 pm »
Is that bouncy ball of epicness standard for all enforcers or is she just a badass like that? I can already tell I'm gonna like her, especially if that cocky way she holds herself stays.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2011, 04:04:55 am »
Well... who better to tempt Maytag than Regina and who better to tempt Bern than Blackbird?

Here I was expecting a meeting with Bern's father and maybe danger to Maytag from Moss/Fata or the Thin Man and instead we have another test of the girl's relationship.  Should be interesting.

...alright, so Xenfa/Zenfa could probably tempt Maytag fairly good as well.

akashayi

« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2011, 10:21:33 pm »
Also, because someone had to take Suspiria's crazy-hair-having place after she changed it :P

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: May 27, 2011, 03:32:09 am »
Ouch! Steal Maytag's outfit.  I guess Moby's costume will come into play, unless Regina tries to lend hers.  Another costume change. Yay!

I actually like seeing all these different Jester costumes.  I wonder what this one will have.  The others have mostly all been some kind of body suit, so I wonder if we might get one with "extentions" of some description.

Jety Lefr

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Close the world, Open the next. -Lain
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: May 27, 2011, 06:32:41 am »
I do hope she has a spare.
"Strive to be better than you've ever been before. Only you can know how much you have, and only you can give yourself more."

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2011, 07:23:12 am »
Maytag's already lost in that card game. Let's hope it doesn't happen with her jester costume possibly being taken!  >:( I want to see her succeed!  ;D

Puyon

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2011, 12:43:51 pm »
We can hope that Moby's done with that outfit by then. But Maytag did get that outfit rather quickly so it might not be hard to replace... assuming she can or has the money for it.

Nettlekid

• Tender Young Virgin
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nettlekid2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2011, 03:22:14 pm »
Nah, remember she said she spent everything she had left on that new one, and NOW she's 3000 gold in debt to Glyph. It's going to be Moby to the "rescue," but depending on Moby's style the new costume may be even more detrimental to Maytag's spirit than losing her old one. OR, Moby's secret inner talent will shine through and...and...it'll be a disaster.