Author Topic: Chapter 29: Discussion  (Read 49515 times)

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
Chapter 29: Discussion
« on: March 23, 2011, 02:06:22 pm »
This is the thread for discussing chapter 29, "Connected by Rings."

Jety Lefr

• Forbidden Fruit
  • Close the world, Open the next. -Lain
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
    • Email
Re: Chapter 29: Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 02:19:49 pm »
It's of to a great start! Nothing could possibly go wrong... ;D
"Strive to be better than you've ever been before. Only you can know how much you have, and only you can give yourself more."

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 08:48:02 pm »
Is it wrong that I am hoping that Bernedette and Maytag break up? Or at least get in a fight? Not to piss off others that ship them, but I don't.  :-\
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 02:37:26 am »
I would.

I'm a bit disappointed seeing that Bern have gone alone, I kinda hoped maybe Vennice would sign for the trip with her, but maybe it's too personal and only May would have right to be with Bern on such occasion ;)

May resolve seems strong so I don't see her cheating on Bern anymore, but who knows what may happen during the contest, seeing all these new people and performers might tempt May a bit too much where just a masturbation won't suffice and there won't be Bern to help her like last time.
Bern cheating on May willingly without using foul magic I think is not possible, maybe if that black haired mercenary lady who was Bern first love would show up then maybe Bern would be given some temptation, and who knows maybe would fall for it in proper circumstances.

I still wonder if this Bern father news is real info or not a way to split them up doing by that Thin Man boy protege.
Capture Bern to get May?
Well it could work.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:39:06 am by Kiran »

Ranakel

• Collared Pet
  • Le gentleman
    • MSN Messenger - lekanar@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 03:41:24 am »
I still wonder if this Bern father news is real info or not a way to split them up doing by that Thin Man boy protege.

Then again, an entertainer talent show is just as good a trap. And even if it isn't, May doesn't quite realizes that having a wide broadcast is the ideal way to get spotted and captured by Melder. Bernadette's horseback departure basically means two things:
1) Maytag's doomed
2) Crest will have to protect her.

Well. Actually, the way things seem to be going, he'll most likely have to protect Suspiria once she'll have some problems/have expended all her spiritual essence.. But yeah, things will probably get pretty rough, pretty quick...

By the way, the narration works quite nicely, combined with flashbacks and all. It's not overpresent -some danger that always looms- and overall, it's nice. Because quite frankly, if maytag and bernadette discussing about this matter was done in front of us, it'd probably have taken half a chapter.
Kiss: Improvised temporary welding of two digestive tracts. Better than it sounds.
~Albert Cohen (adapted)~

Phalanx needs YOU ! Join now !

Jety Lefr

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 08:57:39 am »
... I don't like the idea of them breaking up at all, but this separation could be very good for the story. As we've seen them, they're almost always together, or not too far apart. How will they do on their own? What's Maytag going to do about her... needs? Temptation is strong...
"Strive to be better than you've ever been before. Only you can know how much you have, and only you can give yourself more."

Ranakel

• Collared Pet
  • Le gentleman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 07:00:49 am »
It's not as if they will be completely separated after all. Look at the chapter's title. Then look at chapter 26, page 23.
Kiss: Improvised temporary welding of two digestive tracts. Better than it sounds.
~Albert Cohen (adapted)~

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 05:48:58 am »
Not a Bern+May shipper, but this last page was SO SWEET!  :-*
I am just a sucker for gay marriage references, I guess.  :D

Ryuu

• Experimental
  • I like robot ninja chocolate monkeys!
    • MSN Messenger - r_y_u_u@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 10:29:24 am »
i find it hard to believe that one such as bernadette, who dosen't trust magic would have accepted the ring idea so easily without exploring all other alternatives first, it just seems a lil ooc to me.

Flipside desktops, knock yourself out.
now with more pictures!

Jety Lefr

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 12:56:29 pm »
@Ryuu
well we don't know that she didn't yet.

Ryuu

• Experimental
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 01:03:56 pm »
no, the way it written makes it quite clear that she didn't, or atleast it seems that way to me

now with more pictures!

Jety Lefr

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 01:06:50 pm »
I don't doubt it, I just don't like leaping to conclusions.
remember... unless stated as fact... there is always a possibility!
right?

Ryuu

• Experimental
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 01:55:39 pm »
thing is, with a comic very little is stated as fact as a character can always be lying, so you have to make assumptions based off character's actions and words combined with authors/artist's writing/drawing style. and i feel that bern, someone who wouldn't even take a portal to save a few days travel would use the rings instead of waiting for may.

now with more pictures!

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 02:48:22 pm »
i find it hard to believe that one such as bernadette, who dosen't trust magic would have accepted the ring idea so easily without exploring all other alternatives first, it just seems a lil ooc to me.
You forget, magic just healed Maytag's arm. Bernadette was uncomfortable about the whole arm issue, but you could tell she preferred a whole Maytag to a partial Maytag. If, in the light of those events, Bernadette became a little more open-minded about magic use, I would call it character development rather then out of character, but that's just me.  ;)

Jety Lefr

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 02:56:10 pm »
That's a very good point!
More one the recent page- I think those "wedding :-*?" rings are sound stones made to work with each other. That or something we haven't seen yet.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 03:04:47 pm »
Holograms?
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 06:49:38 am »
Well wedding rings can be quite useful, I don't know if in this fantasy setting people marry each other normally and all that which comes with it, but thanks to that both May and Bern can fend people off that they are taken already ;)

And I think that Bern accepted the ring even if it's magical one to a simple reason she will be about to contact with May, both can achieve their goals, and simply it's a nice reminder isn't it, to be connected with May officialy like that by rings.

Bern's not trusting magic mostly cause so far beside Maytag arm fixing, she only had negative encounters with it like we see through comic.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 10:24:55 am »
There are numerous examples of Bern caving in and using magic throughout the comic, even in Book 0.  She's gotten a little mellower about it over time, but the portal thing is like a special exception.  That she doesn't like using portals has more to do with them seeming scary to her.  It's one of those irrational fears, kind of like a fear of flying.

Ranakel

• Collared Pet
  • Le gentleman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 05:51:51 pm »
Makes sense. After all, magic items in general are just as far as I understood it distasteful for the knightly types, while portals specifically are said to steal your soul.

Besides, she does carries and tried to use a magic sword while searching for its other part. Swords made by the one that adopted her, and that he wanted the knights to use -which they refused-... And let's not forget that while belonging to the Lashoar knights require to forsake the use of magic, being Maytag's knight has... Other requirements. And even though they are not easy, I see Flipside as a tale of adaptation, of evolution, of compromises and discussion. (And mutilations, but that's besides the point) So, that kind of issues fits the theme the way I, humble recent reader see it.

What intrigues me the most actually, besides when will May be kidnapped, is some little words from Oransong, some chapters ago. I wonder if seeing Bernadette's adoptive father, we will get to finally understand what did he meant by saying the split rose was a children's fighting style.
(And if that's going to be a reason for evening the ground between her and Crest :P )
~Albert Cohen (adapted)~

Jety Lefr

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 06:01:24 pm »
Speaking of which, I miss Crest. He doesn't really do much...
I hope he get's a larger role in this chapter than in the last ones.

Ranakel

• Collared Pet
  • Le gentleman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 06:19:57 pm »
Which makes me think... Giving an emo young hero such a following simply because he is overshadowed like that...
It's genius. Evil genius.
~Albert Cohen (adapted)~

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 06:28:45 pm »
Now that I've finalized the script, I can tell you... Crest's subplot takes up about 6 pages this chapter.  So it's not a ton, but he gets his share... the developments for his character are gonna be coming slowly, but they are coming, so don't worry.

There's also several new characters being introduced this chapter, one of which is *really* important.

I think you guys are gonna like this chapter, I think the story moves at a nice pace, while still retaining the all-important cinematic feel.  I'm pretty happy with it.  But chapter 30 will probably be the most important chapter in the story so far.

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 07:29:58 pm »
Is it wrong that I am hoping that Bernedette and Maytag break up? Or at least get in a fight? Not to piss off others that ship them, but I don't.  :-\

While I don't know about breaking up, I'd definitely like seeing them get into a fight, or Maytag give in to temptation and cheat. For me, Maytag's cheating made her a more believable character, and I liked how she wasn't perfect.

Sadly I don't think Vennice will ever get it on with Bern, but I'd definitely love to see how Bernadette reacts if she ever runs into her first love Blackbird someday.

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 11:21:22 pm »
but I'd definitely love to see how Bernadette reacts if she ever runs into her first love Blackbird someday.
That hapened in book 0. And now that girl is dead.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 12:10:11 am »
Now that I've finalized the script, I can tell you... Crest's subplot takes up about 6 pages this chapter.  So it's not a ton, but he gets his share... the developments for his character are gonna be coming slowly, but they are coming, so don't worry.

There's also several new characters being introduced this chapter, one of which is *really* important.

I think you guys are gonna like this chapter, I think the story moves at a nice pace, while still retaining the all-important cinematic feel.  I'm pretty happy with it.  But chapter 30 will probably be the most important chapter in the story so far.
One important one is Bern father I assume?
Or that character is important in an evil sense?
Or that's someone new and she/he will become a part of main cast?

I'm actually hyped to see who is Bern's father for real.
If he left first sword for Bern he knew Bern would follow soon to get the second sword since they don't work without a pair.

Crest getting few pages each chapter for his own development I think is enough.

So in chapter 30 May will meet the Thin Man personally or will be kidnapped again and changed, this actually makes me wonder if you can accept that dark cell and not become a monster, but a being with power without any drawbacks, so far all Thin Man's creations were stronger each time.
And if May has so strong willpower to accept it fully. I wonder if the Thin Man is looking for a secret of evolution or he is just mad scientist, or like it was said he is right and whole Enclave and world is wrong.

but I'd definitely love to see how Bernadette reacts if she ever runs into her first love Blackbird someday.
She met not her real love but a substitute who in the end was cheating on her with her real love interest :P
Who knows maybe that Blackbird lady too became Thin Man's experiment and Bern will meet her soon?

As for current page, lol soon Bern will turn into a proper magical knight with magical swords, magical rings, and magical portals in the pocket ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:50:14 am by Kiran »

zblues

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 11:01:11 am »
Meh, I won't be happy until Maytag realizes she loves Crest and leaves Bern, but that will probably never happen so meh. lol

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 12:24:45 pm »
Cute.

Bernadette won't like the portal idea, though.

Ranakel

• Collared Pet
  • Le gentleman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 05:57:29 pm »
Bernadette won't like the portal idea, though.
The way I see it, she wouldn't like it if she was to cross it herself. But she knows better that to impose her beliefs on others. Especially when Maytag is involved. After all, she is already asked a lot (what with the monogamy and all) so I don't think the prospect of her lover joining her via carried portal is as much a problem as May having to remain chaste except for the occasional masturbation.
And she will activate the ringlet just at that kind of moment won't she ?
~Albert Cohen (adapted)~

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 07:22:35 pm »

I mean Blackbird, who was introduced in Chapter 20, not Clairen from Book 0.

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2011, 10:57:02 am »
I mean Blackbird, who was introduced in Chapter 20, not Clairen from Book 0.
O, I confused these two. Sorry.