Author Topic: Time for a Maytag gear power up?  (Read 8397 times)

TF Commando

Time for a Maytag gear power up?
« on: October 07, 2010, 12:21:36 pm »
Maytag has lost her D-Bag and everything in it after their capture at the inn.  But now she's in a city full of advanced magic, so she'll surely be able to replace everything and possibly get new magical tools as well.  Will she take the chance to "power up" and get more advanced weapons and gear?  Though her basic trick of knife-throwing is pretty low "tech."  Hmmm, thoughts?

akashayi

Re: Time for a Maytag gear power up?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 03:10:49 pm »
I don't think her knife throwing is very 'low tech' at all, given as she had always kept a wide variety of enchanted knives and potions on her and you always had to wonder where she kept them ;P
I think she's probably balanced in the middle of Bern's nonmagical style and Suspiria smashing buildings with a giant meteor.

All the same, I'm dying to see her get a new suit/toys and back into sexy action!

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 05:02:40 pm »
Hell yeah.  Maytag has other tallents that puts her on par with the warriors and sorcerers in her charisma, wisdom and intelligence.

Even a 2nd level sorceress like Dice could take Maytag out relatively easily if it weren't for Maytag's talk.  I'm guessing Bern would also have the skill to dodge and deflect knives thrown at her if she were to attack Maytag for some reason.

The information they provided is valuable but I'm not sure if it'll earn the girls money and all of Maytag's cash was in her d-bag.  Never-the-less it wouldn't surprise me if Bern shouts her a new costume and some other clothes together with a simple set of throwing knives.  Suspira can provide temporary enchantments but from memory the sorcerer has to actually construct the item, at least partially, for a permanent enchantment so I doubt she can give her any magick blades.

In any case, I'm fairly confident that they'll be chasing down Bern's father in the next chapter and might get that second magick sword wich would make Bern significantly more powerful since she's be on even terms with anyone using enchantments.  Maybe they'll actually ask Suspira or someone about the sword and it'll turn out to have some sort of "homing" ability to point them towards it's "sister sword" since they need to work together.

*looks at TF commando's avatar*  Is crossworlds still running? I used to love that but it went on an extended pause so I forgot to keep checking back. *goes to check*
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

9_6

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 11:23:29 pm »
Needs moar power levels.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 11:42:14 pm »
Easy solution I guess.  Maytag borrows some money and hits the poker tables (maybe with Crest in tow) to cash up and buy a heap of items, etc.  From memory, thats what she did as soon as she got into Solstice. http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic/book0/fs24pg04.html

I'd say Maytag can probably walk in to any reasonable size town, find some local poker rings and earn some quick money.  But after her initial run, people probably catch on that she's good and begin avoiding her until, eventually, she ends up only able to play at poker tables with others of respectable skill who slow down her take.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 01:23:48 pm »
I wonder if May could become a sorcerer apprentice, for sure she is highly inteligent and has really strong willpower.
If we would add to that her native skills and antimagic knight Bern with her father's swords that would be really nice combo.

9_6

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 01:56:35 am »
Let us not think in "techs" or "combos" but instead focus on the story.
The characters should grow, not their muscles.
The last thing I want to see is a blarutoball Z training montage.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 09:12:16 am »
Let us not think in "techs" or "combos" but instead focus on the story.
The characters should grow, not their muscles.
The last thing I want to see is a blarutoball Z training montage.

"Kah- May-Tag, MAYTAG!"

Meshakhad

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:41:03 pm »
I think we'll see a few strips where she goes shopping. A few possible lines:
BERN: Maytag, what are you doing in a weapon store?
MAYTAG: Well, I just got a new D-bag, but now I need to replace every that was in my old one. Ooh, that's a nice set of throwing knives!

Ryuu

• Experimental
  • I like robot ninja chocolate monkeys!
    • MSN Messenger - r_y_u_u@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 09:59:34 am »
or not if she's gona send all her gold on soundstones

Flipside desktops, knock yourself out.
now with more pictures!

Robochocobo

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 10:06:11 pm »
Anime style powerups are significantly overrated.  A character every so often acquiring a new knick-nack or trick over a very slow and gradual incline is much more reasonable.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 10:14:11 pm »
Anime style powerups are significantly overrated.  A character every so often acquiring a new knick-nack or trick over a very slow and gradual incline is much more reasonable.

That happens a lot in anime too.

garion

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 10:43:15 pm »
Are we forgetting maytag already tried poker and Galdur wiped the floor with her?

http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1108
http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=1113

She's in debt, and that's not changing anytime soon.

Robochocobo

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 11:57:37 pm »

That happens a lot in anime too.

Yes, but more often storytellers are drawn to the mid-season power up, or the time-skip powerup (which has become increasingly popular in shonen series as of late.  Even One Piece did it, and it seemed to be trying to avoid that kind of stuff for as long as possible.)  Whatever floats your boat as a creator, I'm sure you'll make it work.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 02:10:40 am »
Are we forgetting maytag already tried poker and Galdur wiped the floor with her?

You're reading conversations from February and earlier which were suggesting Maytag should hit the poker tables.  Gladur hadn't shown up yet and Maytag wasn't even hinting at hitting the poker tables yet.

On the story telling.  Yeah, most western stuff tends to be more gradual powerup as opposed to sudden, but anime/manga does have it as well.  Cardcaptor Sakura is a good example.  In fact, the way CCS did it is a fairly good example of how western ones normally do it.  One smaller item or skill at a time with each episode, rather than some fighting and then some transformation or something for a huge power boost.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:12:14 am by charles »

Kilravok

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 08:30:49 am »
I kinda don't like the new suit even though it shows more skin (or maybe because it shows more). I would have gone for a suit that covers more but is more 'fitted' around the chest area, kinda almost like Harley Quinn in the Batman comics/catroons has (but without the frilly)

garion

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 11:35:36 pm »

You're reading conversations from February and earlier which were suggesting Maytag should hit the poker tables.  Gladur hadn't shown up yet and Maytag wasn't even hinting at hitting the poker tables yet.

Whoops, now I feel like an idiot. X__X

You've got me watching CCS now! xD

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 07:37:31 am »
Well, let's analyze her strengths/abilities before.

With the D-bag, she has

1: mobility (Everythings in the bag, she's not weighed down and is obviously at least somewhat athletic.)
2: ammo capacity (lotsa knives)
3: Magic on tap.  (She doesn't use magic herself, but she can carry so many items that it's nearly as good.)
4: people reading skills.
5: knife throwing skills.

Am I missing anything?
This makes her a mobile, ranged attacker with good reaction and planning skills.   (Up to a point)

In order for her to get an upgrade, she needs to plug her weaknesses.

She's physically weaker, and while she's fast, she's not really a close in fighter.  Weak to magic. 

For Bernadette, the one big thing that jumps out, the whole "the best offense is an awesome defense."   Crippling her in stand offs.

I offer no suggestions, just observations.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 04:51:02 pm »
I guess if Maytag drank a potion for strength and reaction time then that'd work pretty well for close in fighting, presuming she also had two knives on hand.  She also had one for invisibility if I recall correctly too.  She's a lot better at the anti-magic angle than Bern is, with her ability to resist influencing spells such as fear and a ranged attack which can take out or disable casters.  Would have been interesting to see if she could overcome a potion of possession.

Bern could attack if she wanted to, her style is just geared towards defence so if she's up against an opponent who's skilled, she'll need to use that primary style.  If she was up against an unarmed caster, I'd imagine she would seek to close the gap quickly and attack.  Really, her weakness is against sorcery and that might be undone if she gets the sister sword to the magic one she's got... depending on if it protects against spells and not just magic weapons.

In essence, Sorcerers are really high powered.  We've seen them raise shields and still perform ranged attacks so if one does that to you, you're screwed to attack and screwed to defend except dodging, unless its an area affect of some description.  The main strategy to pull on a level 3 sorcerer, if you don't have anti-magic, is to wear them out, make them spend their spirit essence and last long enough to see them depleted of it, or pull some disruptive stuff like Maytag did with Dice.

Warlock

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 02:09:55 pm »
Well, I doubt Maytag will become a sorceress unless Suspiria ultimately parts ways from the team for good or Regina takes up sorcery again and joins the team.  Maytag has always relied on cunning and wits to defeat her enemies along with her various tricks and magical gear, she's never been a powerhouse type character.

And her tools of the trade, be they potions designed to increase her reflexes or heal her wounds, or magic daggers that silence people or drink their blood, have always been impressive.  I'd like to see her pick up some new gear too of course to go along with whatever old stuff she ultimately replaces, I hope she gets the Angel's Breath ring again.