Author Topic: Chapter 36: Discussion  (Read 24668 times)

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chapter 36: Discussion
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2013, 12:52:55 pm »
Note that I used seemingly and not certainly, but based on this page, Blood Lust looks like it was added to make sure she keeps herself alive. Also remember Mary says outright her body moves automatically when the pain and hunger becomes too much.

AH...!   :'(  Thank you for the reminder...!  It has been a while.. I STAND corrected!

THAT is Fucked up!   >:( Yeah... this Thin Man is if not intentionally sinister is at the very least callously twisted and unconcerned about his subjects.  I hope Maytag remembers this information given to her by Mary!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:54:45 pm by sunphoenix »
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2013, 01:06:56 pm »
It's so tempting to explain in more detail what is going on in these scenes, but I really shouldn't say anything, should I?

maddhopps

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2013, 01:15:26 pm »
It's so tempting to explain in more detail what is going on in these scenes, but I really shouldn't say anything, should I?

Nothing outright, but small hints and clues would be cool. Right now, I'm thinking what's going on may relate to the idea of "betting thin".  I figure that idea is going come up again sooner or later.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2013, 01:17:33 pm »

Probably not... regrettably.

Though there could be some explanation if Melter did something to her... but I really have a hard time sticking up for the Thin Man with the scenes of her being hung about like so much meat on a hook her body mutilated and her being taken by Melter... most assuredly not by her consent!

Melter knew things that if he had not made her the way she is he could not possibly know, unless the Thin Man told him so... all the more reason I think this Thin Man is dangerously arbitrary and abusive of his obvious considerable talents. 

PEOPLE are not sketches to be 'tried out' and then discarded when one has "figured out" what they really want to do!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:19:53 pm by sunphoenix »
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2013, 03:34:52 pm »
Nothing outright, but small hints and clues would be cool. Right now, I'm thinking what's going on may relate to the idea of "betting thin".

I bet you just think that because it has the word "thin" in it!

we don't even know {if I recall} if that is the truth - that she even needed to eat people to power her regeneration.

Okay, here's a little hint.  She certainly had her bloodlust as a result of the experiment.  The comic makes that clear, so I'm not giving anything away by saying that.  However, can you answer this question: was her bloodlust intended from the beginning, or is it a part of what made the experiment a "failure"?

maddhopps

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2013, 05:12:24 pm »

I bet you just think that because it has the word "thin" in it!

... Maybe >_>

I could be misinterpreting it, but it sounded like the main idea behind betting thin was to add value to weak hands. Trying to convince someone to volunteer to be experimented on after you kidnap them, probably means dealing with a series of weak hands.  Against May the subject of Mary would definitely be a weak hand for him to play. I'm guessing what he is betting on is convincing May there was no malice on his part. If he can at least do that much then he can increase the value of his proceeding arguments.

Typing that out made me realize I'm probably just over thinking that bit though.

Okay, here's a little hint.  She certainly had her bloodlust as a result of the experiment.  The comic makes that clear, so I'm not giving anything away by saying that.  However, can you answer this question: was her bloodlust intended from the beginning, or is it a part of what made the experiment a "failure"?

Wait, does bloodlust =cannibalism? I thought they were distinct things.   

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2013, 11:53:06 pm »
Wait, does bloodlust =cannibalism? I thought they were distinct things.

In the Flipside world it does.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2013, 05:43:19 am »
Intriguing developments.  I ... honestly do not know what to think... is he mad or insightful?  Perhaps he is both - his insight has driven him mad.

Darque

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2013, 03:14:01 pm »
Hmm...Danzig stated that 'this world is a lie', and now the Thin Man explains that his experiments are related to the world not being as it seems.
This is just speculation, of course, but could it be that the Thin Man is aware of the fourth wall?
Maybe he plans on breaking it.  Literally.

The early bird is flying solo and will probably be killed by the earlier cat.

Confidence is that warm, fuzzy feeling you get before you comprehend the situation.

maddhopps

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2013, 12:33:49 am »
In the Flipside world it does.

The way Melter words it on this page and the way it is explained on this page made me think that bloodlust only caused the wanting to kill part, but not the cannibalism. I'm guessing now that the words in quotations on the Melter page may not have necessarily been his words, but may have been words Mary was recalling from another time. 

Hmm...Danzig stated that 'this world is a lie', and now the Thin Man explains that his experiments are related to the world not being as it seems.
This is just speculation, of course, but could it be that the Thin Man is aware of the fourth wall?
Maybe he plans on breaking it.  Literally.

I used to think the big reveal was going be that Flipside was just a D&D game,but then I noticed the other comic Brion F does and figured that would be too obvious. If it does go the breaking the fourth wall route it'll be interesting to see how he'd differentiate from other takes on the concept.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:41:08 am by maddhopps »

Flipthecannon

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2013, 04:47:50 am »
Seems that The Thin Man really does know all the right buttons to push.  Don't get me wrong, it's been clear that maybe the Flipside world/The Thin Man's motives haven't been straightforward for a while but I didn't expect him to state his goals like this.

Flipthecannon

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2013, 05:02:11 am »
Also what are the chances that The Thin Man's ability isn't to paint the truth but to read minds.  The paintings themselves could be part of a ruse (he may just have a talent for art) but his ability actually comes from reading thoughts and images from people's minds.  It would make it easier for him to figure out how to implant blood lust and other augmentations into people's brains as well as know exactly what to say to Maytag.  I mean that line about the world not being what it seemed like. That's very much Maytag territory.

Shay

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2013, 03:58:47 pm »
Oh. Are we going to see why it's called "Flipside" now? I always thought it referred to Maytag's personalities, but we now know that she doesn't really have two 'sides' of personalities so...  if there's another side to this world it would fit pretty well.

maddhopps

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2013, 05:06:11 pm »
That's an interesting point. I thought the name referred to Maytag's philosophy and her willingness to look at the other side of things. There are quite a bit of dualities in the story that the name can relate too.

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2013, 06:25:02 pm »
Anyone looking to uncover major truths (The thin man) is usually not to be trusted.  Just saying.  The truth is... there is no truth!    :)

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2013, 08:49:46 pm »
Oh.. you are sooo wrong!  There is indeed a definitive TRUTH... 'point of view' only comes into the picture when we, mortal men, do not wish to accept the truth that is self-evident.. and choose not to acknowledge what does not fit the world view we are comfortable with.

It is cliche' but soo true.. many people... "Cannot Handle the TRUTH!"