Author Topic: Chapter 36: Discussion  (Read 24659 times)

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
Chapter 36: Discussion
« on: February 21, 2013, 10:20:36 am »
This is the thread for discussing Chapter 36: The Thin Man.  What's up with this guy?

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 36: Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 12:04:48 am »
I thought the older guy was the Thin Man...
Looks I was mistaken, well for sure the guy looks to be very thin judging from cover if he is the one in the middle.
If he experimented on people then all of his crew are similiar experiments who were a success?
I like the designs of new characters as always, variety is a nice feature here.

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:54:07 am »
Sometimes I forget how awesome Maytag is.

ducky_worshiper

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:58:49 pm »

Pages like this remind me just how unlikable I find Maytag.

SparcMan

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
    • SparcMan's World
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 07:20:29 am »
I'm smelling a troll page today.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 03:13:44 pm »
That was a real page, of course, but you're right that that panel is meant to screw with your mind a bit.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:04:32 am »
Wow, what a creep, like some version of Mad Hatter...

It really makes me wonder with how everyone on TM side tells it's all done willingly, but remembering BM gory memories it's something else completly...

weirdguy

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 11:00:16 pm »
I'm kind of disappointed that he wasn't the bear

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 07:20:23 am »

Wow.  Maytag is soooo cute!  Blondes can ALWAYS get over on me.. darnit! :)

But on to the subject of the Thin Man... I think he does EXACTLY what his compatriots say he does!

I'm sure that he gives his subjects EXACTLY what THEY ask for... but there is a catch to that.  What people want is not always in their best interests!

I'm ALSO sure that Maytag would agree that people are ...in general VERY good at fooling themselves in to thinking all sorts of stuff about themselves that is patiently NOT TRUE!

Humans are very good are self-delusion and Magic as is presented in this universe is many times HARSHLY TRUE!  What you think you are and what you REALLY are colors  your magic or the magic that is used upon you.

So the thin man may only be doing what his subjects ask of him to do.. but in truth they can some times be VERY UGLY within their own hearts... their own hidden flaws that they don't wish to face or admit to.. and it ... grounds out in the TRUTH that magic reveals.

Maytag would be the first to agree I'd bet that people can be VERY UGLY inside even though they may personally think they are paragons of virtue!  With hidden or displaced anger fears, hatreds, preconceptions, avarice and the myriad of other personal flaws that we all dislike or worse do not see in ourselves!

May tag seems.. at least to me VERY adept as seeing herself and those around her for what they are.. as she knows the deception that she plays everyday... and accepts those limitations in her own heart. 

I think if the thin man does something for Maytag.. she will be one of the successful ones... because of her understanding of her true nature and the effects on those about her.  She truly has a good heart... at least I think so.

...sorry didn't mean to wax all philosophical there..
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:32:48 am by sunphoenix »
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Shay

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 07:18:39 pm »
I think some of that might be true. Giving people what they want, and it turning out wrong.
That doesn't explain Bloody Mary, but it could be Melter going off on her own, or Mary forgetting what she wished for, or any number of things.

I doubt Maytag would wish for anything though, precisely because she understands herself. She's said before how awful she is. Rotten to the core. I get the feeling she would view herself as the worst sort of person to get the Thin Man Treatment.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 05:40:41 am »
I doubt Maytag would wish for anything though, precisely because she understands herself. She's said before how awful she is. Rotten to the core. I get the feeling she would view herself as the worst sort of person to get the Thin Man Treatment.

I agree... unless she might consider him...'fixing' her?  Which I hope she is not pondering that.  Maytag is VERY self-aware... and I like her just the way she is!  :)
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Gillsing

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 08:05:09 am »
That last panel of page 14, is that where Maytag gets tired of the good cop/bad cop routine they've arranged to make her side with the Thin Man? Because those eyes do not look amused.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 06:12:30 pm »
That last panel of page 14, is that where Maytag gets tired of the good cop/bad cop routine they've arranged to make her side with the Thin Man? Because those eyes do not look amused.

Yeah.  That's what I'm getting too...  I think she's about to call them out of this little game and demand they BOTH get to the point!  She's not fooled...
We're all familiar with that look in her eyes... she's not acting "normal" anymore.. her 'Real' personality is assessing this entire setup...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:14:14 pm by sunphoenix »

you_been_mangoed

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 12:39:41 am »
Hello everyone!  First time posting.  To add to what Gillsing and sunphoenix are saying, I want to put out another theory.  I mean, Rhodes, Corona, and Marce could very well could very well all be puppets of Lehm.  But what if Rhodes is actually the "thin man", and all the other characters introduced in this environment are the puppets?  I mean, Lehm has quite an aversion to being called "Master", and Rhodes has an interesting pose on the cover of this volume.  Maybe that's what Maytag's suspecting.

Or maybe my theories are just waaay out there   ;D

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 02:31:43 am »
Well we will see.

I kinda hope that May will ask them about BloodyMary case where she clealy heard that it wasn't a willing happy transfomation.

But if the Thin Man(whovever that is Rhodes or Lehm) changes them anyway due thinking that's for their own good and that kinda helps them to accomplish their wants, what might be May's hidden desires?
Be liked by everyone for who she is and not for who she acts?
Make Bern open sexualy?

I agree... unless she might consider him...'fixing' her?  Which I hope she is not pondering that.  Maytag is VERY self-aware... and I like her just the way she is!  :)
May would prefer to work on that on her own than make it by some cheat.
But who knows what her hidden subconciousness might to say about it if she would be put in the process anyway even against her will.

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 10:15:25 am »
Hello everyone!  First time posting.  To add to what Gillsing and sunphoenix are saying, I want to put out another theory.  I mean, Rhodes, Corona, and Marce could very well could very well all be puppets of Lehm.  But what if Rhodes is actually the "thin man", and all the other characters introduced in this environment are the puppets?  I mean, Lehm has quite an aversion to being called "Master", and Rhodes has an interesting pose on the cover of this volume.  Maybe that's what Maytag's suspecting.

Or maybe my theories are just waaay out there   ;D

Yeah, I kind of thought that from the beginning.

weirdguy

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 02:46:51 am »
looks like the jig's up

somebody needs to tone down the hamming  ;)

but really, just eat already, the food's getting cold

(if any of them had done their homework, they would know that they could just talk to her without having to bs)

Gillsing

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 07:26:30 am »
But what if Rhodes is actually the "thin man", and all the other characters introduced in this environment are the puppets?
That's an interesting idea. Certainly didn't consider that possibility. And he does appear to be the only 'real' person there. All the others seem to be highly unnatural. And as the supposed 'ally' of the only real prisoner, perhaps he intended to get her to confide in him so he could find out how to best modify her? Though I guess that could've been his job no matter who is the real Thin Man.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 04:16:56 pm »
looks like the jig's up

somebody needs to tone down the hamming  ;)

but really, just eat already, the food's getting cold

(if any of them had done their homework, they would know that they could just talk to her without having to bs)

Yeha they obviously don't know her very well.  Maytag is very good at this sort of 'bait and switch' stuff... it would not work on her.  They could have gotten a lot further with her by just speaking plainly. 

Now for some this might be a real stopping point in the negotiation, but this is Maytag here... she will likely not be put off by their "dishonesty" in trying to 'play' her... as she is familiar with 'dishonest' interaction with people - this IS her stock and trade as it were.  But she will want some straight answers... she is not the trusting sort so unless they are going to go to a more...persuasive or violent from of coercion... just asking her is the best option.  Though it would have been the best option in the first place... {as that would have spoken volumes to their honest motivations}.  May's too savy to be taken in by a "BS sob story"... and their amateurish play at 'handling' her is only wasting her time from her goals ...which will annoy her... not a good foot to get on with Maytag.  Now, she will be doubly suspicious {she's normally suspicious of people's motives in the first place - after all}.. they may have a slightly tougher time convincing her to agree to whatever it is they want her to agree to.

LOL! I'd sure never play poker with her...well at least not the card game... unless it were for toothpicks.. just so I cold spend time drooling over how pretty and super cool she is! :)

I think Maytag would be a neat friend to have.. and a terrible enemy to make.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:22:00 pm by sunphoenix »

ducky_worshiper

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 10:22:52 pm »
I really hope we eventually get to a point in the story where it's not just "Maytag is the most amazingest person in the entire world ever and can out-talk any situation with any person in the whole wide world because she's so smart and cool and savvy and amazing".

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 11:28:36 am »
I really hope we eventually get to a point in the story where it's not just "Maytag is the most amazingest person in the entire world ever and can out-talk any situation with any person in the whole wide world because she's so smart and cool and savvy and amazing".

Hahaha! I wouldn't call her ALL that! lol!  Maytag has some serious interpersonal trust and commitment issues! lol!

She's not the girl you take home to mom! hahaha!  Being ultra-suspicious and savy in manipulating people for your own ends might be a useful skill but its certainly not a socially well-adjusted way to approach your personal relationships!  I'd far from call that healthy! :)

Fun to be around as Maytag may be {you're always wondering what she will say and do next...} its hard to really feel she is dependable and not working another 'angle' every time you're around her!

In general... people don't like being manipulated or treated like they need to be 'handled' with every interaction... it be-speaks a lack of trust in their friendship and honesty or actual concern for their own well-being for their own well-being beyond what you can get out of them at the moment!

Well this is how Maytag interacts with EVERYONE on principle... that's not healthy, and people come to resent it... see her recent failing with Crest!

I like Maytag as a dramatic character... but she's got more issues than a half-price comic book store! lol!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:32:09 am by sunphoenix »

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 12:59:41 pm »

So then, I take it you are predicting that Maytag will be in complete control of this situation, fail to be surprised at anything, and talk her way out of it?  Let's see if your prediction is right...

ducky_worshiper

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 09:24:10 pm »

So then, I take it you are predicting that Maytag will be in complete control of this situation, fail to be surprised at anything, and talk her way out of it?  Let's see if your prediction is right...

I'm actually actively hoping that it's not, but the previous 36 chapters aren't really giving me a lot of hope.

Shay

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 12:28:27 pm »
I think the worst situation she talked her way out of, was when Bloody Mary was eating her. Mary wanted to eat her, she didn't want that. So her solution was 'become the friend of the lonely girl so she won't eat me'. She had something to offer.

Even when she was negotiation with the Xibulba'd knight in exchange for Bern's life, she made it into a negotiation using intimidation.

With this group, they want to experiment on her (or change her or use her or something), and she doesn't want that. But she doesn't have anything to offer as replacement for that, like she did with Mary. She doesn't have a way to intimidate, like with the knight.

If I were Maytag right now, in a room full of potentially hostile people, obviously trying to manipulate me, without anything to negotiate or intimidate... I would be very nervous.

Stargoat

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 02:48:46 pm »
I think the worst situation she talked her way out of, was when Bloody Mary was eating her. Mary wanted to eat her, she didn't want that. So her solution was 'become the friend of the lonely girl so she won't eat me'. She had something to offer.

Even when she was negotiation with the Xibulba'd knight in exchange for Bern's life, she made it into a negotiation using intimidation.

With this group, they want to experiment on her (or change her or use her or something), and she doesn't want that. But she doesn't have anything to offer as replacement for that, like she did with Mary. She doesn't have a way to intimidate, like with the knight.

If I were Maytag right now, in a room full of potentially hostile people, obviously trying to manipulate me, without anything to negotiate or intimidate... I would be very nervous.

I expect this is not quite right.  They clearly want something from her, otherwise they would not bother with the ruse.

Gillsing

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 09:56:24 am »

What? Are you suggesting that they arranged this whole charade just so Maytag could 'catch' them and feel all savvy and clever and on top of things, when this is all part of Plan A? Except she's well aware of that possibility, so she knows she must pretend to feel clever so they'll think that they've got her mind where they want it. But they too are aware that she might be aware, so more subterfuge awaits! :)

Actually, I'm pretty sure these guys did do their homework, so it does seem more likely that they do know what she's capable of. After all, they have plans for her. Plans that depend on those mental abilities. And the Thin Man is hardly the easily foiled type of villain, is he? It's not as if he's regularly put in Arkham Asylum by Batman.

Shay

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 11:15:03 am »
What? Are you suggesting that they arranged this whole charade just so Maytag could 'catch' them and feel all savvy and clever and on top of things, when this is all part of Plan A?

Oh man, that would be the best!
I like when Maytag's confidence ends up being unfounded. Like in the poker game where she ended up losing, hard.

It would be really unexpected (and sort of satisfying) if the next page was something like "we don't care what you want to make clear. We just wanted to verify you were smart enough to be a good test subject. Off to the experimentation table with you! You can't stop us."

I get the feeling Stargoat is right though, and they wouldn't do the charade at all unless they wanted something from May.

sunphoenix

• Kinky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 11:02:15 am »
Yep don't bother lying.. just skip ahead of this amateurish "Foreplay" to get right down to the serious life-shattering - mind, body and soul rape...

Hmm.. I think the 'Thin Man' may like her style.  Hopefully he won't hurt her too much.

weirdguy

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 12:11:22 pm »
actually a good chance they could all be friends if it weren't for the whole "using hundreds of people for spare parts" thing

Smiles

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Easter is gonna be great!Heard he will Rise Again!
    • View Profile
    • AnimeCentral
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 12:28:05 am »
hehe april fools lol! <3 good one brion :D
Just loving it! :-*
let's sit and chat a while and see if I don't make you smile .;)