Author Topic: Blog Posts: Spec Ops The Line  (Read 3629 times)

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
Blog Posts: Spec Ops The Line
« on: April 10, 2013, 03:14:09 pm »
Making a seperate thread for discussing my blog posts.  It's better to discuss them in a separate thread than in the chapter discussion thread.  Here's the what I wrote about Spec Ops:

I downloaded and played through Spec Ops: The Line, the first cover-based shooter I've ever played (not counting Mass Effect 2.) For one thing, I affirmed what I suspected, cover-based shooters are not for me. It may be realistic, but it sure is boring popping in and out of cover all the time, constantly shooting people. I think I was able to make it to around chapter 9 (right after the white phosphorous thing) before I just didn't feel like forcing myself to play anymore.

One reason why I felt compelled to play this game was because I heard people praise the story of this shooter in particular. If this is the best that the shooter genre has to offer, I am not impressed. Didn't particularly like any of the characters, the main guy was very generic and my two buddies were barely characters, I didn't know a thing about them except that they speak in cliches. I guess the themes of this game are something that should resonate, but they really didn't for me.

I guess I'm in the minority about this game, but I'm getting used to being in the minority. It's funny... maybe I'm getting old, because I feel more and more negative about the media I consume, including new games, movies, TV, comics, etc. Luckily there's a few new games I am looking forward to (Nino Kuni,) a few new anime I am enjoying immensely (the new Hunter X Hunter and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure), and as for TV shows, I still watch and enjoy Breaking Bad quite a lot. I don't want to turn into a grumpy old man, so it's nice that there are at least a few new things I'm enjoying. I guess my standards are just higher than they used to be.

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
Re: Blog Posts: Spec Ops The Line
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 06:28:25 pm »
I've pretty much given up TV as a time waster, but I came back for Justified. 

My video games are pretty sparse lately too.