Author Topic: Chapter 28: Discussion  (Read 35871 times)

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chapter 28: Discussion
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2011, 12:29:03 pm »
This is the most intense the comic has ever been.

By the way, I never thought cheating on Galdur's part. I just took him as the type to make random shots for the hell of it, on top his regular card playing skills.

The "hero call" as the other guy calls it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:33:53 pm by CrystalDragonSpaceMarine »

Ryuu

• Experimental
  • I like robot ninja chocolate monkeys!
    • MSN Messenger - r_y_u_u@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2011, 05:22:49 pm »
Her shock is very, very apparent and makes me wonder if she's exaggerating to lead him into a false sense of security.
i concur, i just can't imagine her reacting like that, specially not during a poker game

Flipside desktops, knock yourself out.
now with more pictures!

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2011, 01:57:45 am »
OUCH! She really did get played out.

Again, I like this.  It make's Maytag's Poker skill just that little bit more human.  She's bloody good, but she's not the best.  I wonder if this will make her give up or loose interest in the persuit... I wonder how she'll pay Glyph back... Maybe they'll still work out the whole time-share thing and get to using Glyph's device as if he was a radio station broadcasting multiple shows *shrug*.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2011, 06:15:55 am »
I'm sorry, but even though there's no cheating (as what Brion posted), something still doesn't seem quite right here. Maytag's a better poker player than that. I cannot believe her defeat was so overwhelming and yes, humiliating like that.  ???

dg86

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2011, 08:44:22 am »
Of course something's not right.  Hence the wink wink.

Ryuu

• Experimental
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2011, 08:46:11 am »
where did the second of those aces in front of may come from?

now with more pictures!

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2011, 09:44:57 am »
Marked cards? or he changed his hand?
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2011, 12:01:21 pm »
Recall: Brion specifically posted that there was no cheating.  ;D Thing is, though, something's still wrong. So what's up?  ???

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2011, 12:08:57 pm »
May lost on purpose? to make herself look as a easy mark?
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Blackwolf359

• Cage Dancer
  • Pie.... Mmmmm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2011, 12:26:38 pm »
The hell?!?! Maytag lost? O.o Is that even possible? I insist on an replay in slow motion! I'm sure I must have missed something!
If someone pushes you into the abyss...Jump...And grab them as you fall.
~Wolf

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2011, 02:18:29 pm »
where did the second of those aces in front of may come from?

There's meant to be a transition between this page and the last, if you go back and look at the bottom right corner of page 21.  So this is a different hand, where Maytag had 2 aces and Galdur had 2 jacks, but he happened to get 3 jacks to win.  In other words, I'm not showing any of the other hands, I'm skipping to the end of the game where she loses the last of her money.

As for why specifically Maytag lost, it's gonna be explained in the next couple of pages, don't worry.

Ryuu

• Experimental
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2011, 06:41:42 pm »
ah ok, i missed the transition on the prev page lol

now with more pictures!

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2011, 09:36:57 pm »
Poor May.  :(
Oh God, I want to cry now.  :( :( :(
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Ryuu

• Experimental
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2011, 12:10:30 am »
let them out, no shame in crying in this situation

now with more pictures!

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2011, 02:48:11 am »
Well looks like things are looking up. Galdur is maybe helping Maytag get better at the game?

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2011, 05:31:21 am »
Hang on, how could there be 5 jacks in play? Unless the decks are VERY different in the Flipside world, or this game consists of multiple decks shuffled together, there's only supposed to be 4 of a single rank. For example, jack of spades, hearts, diamonds and clubs.

So how could May have two jacks while Galdur has three?

dg86

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2011, 05:32:44 am »
LOL still can't get over the hero call.  What about the other two buy-ins?  Seems her poker skills are quickly starting to look like an informed ability.

Blackest_Eyes

« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2011, 06:24:19 am »
Hang on, how could there be 5 jacks in play? Unless the decks are VERY different in the Flipside world, or this game consists of multiple decks shuffled together, there's only supposed to be 4 of a single rank. For example, jack of spades, hearts, diamonds and clubs.

There is one Jack on the board, two in Galdur's hand, so he has three jacks. May just plays the pair of aces in her hand.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2011, 12:13:57 pm »

Where do you get the idea that May has 2 Jacks?  Isn't it clear from the picture that she has 2 aces?

jasonred79

« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2011, 05:32:37 am »
When you get right down to it, Maytag may be good, but at the end of the day, she's still a casual/ amatuer player. She basically plays for FUN, not for a LIVING.
Now, I dunno about you guys, but IMHO, there's usually quite a big strength gap between the amatuers and the pros. So, it seems pretty "correct" to me for Maytag to get cocky and challenge the best player around and get beaten. Plus, AFAIK, the really really good players who do it for a living will gravitate towards the big money and not really spend all their time gambling in the poorer towns. So, it's quite logical that up to now, Maytag has only been facing players of a certain calibre, and the really REALLY good players haven't bumped into her until now.

Also, frankly, Maytag is being far too cocky and prideful, which just goes to show how she's a real amatuer/ casual player.
Just now, she was playing on BORROWED MONEY, in order to try to make enough money to achieve her goal (soundstones).
A PROFESIONAL player would choose the richest, weakest opponents possible. Their goal here would be to MAKE MONEY.
Maytag? Er. She sets out to prove that she's the best there is. And goes all or nothing against the best player in town.
In the real world, even the best poker player in the world knows that he can have a bad night and can EASILY lose against the 2nd or 3rd best player.

Also... what was Maytag's plan, originally?  Challenging the best player in town is NOT a good way to make money. If you lose, you lose. If you actually beat him, you suddenly gain a reputation, and now none of the marks will play against you. If you're a good player and new in town, far better to play among the idle rich who have money to burn, play badly, and don't mind losing money to a beautiful woman.

So, in conclusion, it looks to me as if Maytag actually has some insidious plan going, and this whole thing is not about a poker game at all... hmm. Pretty expensive way to use 3000 gold though. I hope her plan is worth it.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2011, 09:32:16 am »
Yeah, swindling rich suckers might be the best way to make money, but how fun would it be to watch?
This way, May gets to meet a handsome stranger and gets some character development. Watching her con fat tourists all day might be practical and effective or advance the plot, but it would probably be excruciating to read about.

You have to see this in the context of the story. It's more dramatic this way. And notice how May learning how to be a better poker player from this fellow sort-of mirrors Crest's training to become a better sword fighter? That's probably on purpose.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2011, 10:23:03 am »
Maytag? Er. She sets out to prove that she's the best there is. And goes all or nothing against the best player in town.  In the real world, even the best poker player in the world knows that he can have a bad night and can EASILY lose against the 2nd or 3rd best player.

Yeah, you're right that part of it is she's cocky.  But the other part is that's the biggest game in town... Maytag doesn't have any other options if she wants to make that money fast, and even at the big game she can only buy in for 1,000, it would've taken her awhile to turn that into 25,000.  And that's just the minimum that she needs.

And also, I would say that Maytag is quite a bit better than an amateur at poker.  She's actually quite talented at reading people, and against even many good players she would come out on top.  (That's why I have Galdur complimenting her on the current page, it's not an empty compliment.)  It's just a case of there's always someone better.  The vast majority of players would have folded those 6's.

9_6

« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2011, 01:34:03 am »
I have no idea what that means but I'm sure it raises mays power level by at least 90.

jasonred79

« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2011, 03:29:48 am »
I have no idea what that means but I'm sure it raises mays power level by at least 90.
So, how long before it's OVER 9000!!!!

... sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Anyhow, even if Maytag "had to" play the biggest game in town, there's 5 players on her table, so that's 3 other players for her to fleece. From the looks of it, she seems to be the first one to get knocked out, so I am under the impression that she went head to head with Galdur the whole time? Or maybe she's just the most aggresive player on the table. Mmm.

BTW, May needed to turn the 3k into 28k, cause she has to pay back that 3000. Speaking of which, wonder how she's going to pay him back now... very interesting turn in the storyline. Will galdur not only be willing to take her under his wing, but to essentially pay her to be his apprentice? ... mmm...

I'm also curious as to how strong the other players on their table were. If they play against Galdur week after week, they are either almost as good as him, or just have deep enough pockets that they don't mind losing money to him every single time? hmm. Anyhow, I really got the impression that Maytag stepped into that game thinking she was the best player on the table, whereas she was actually the weakest. Well, maybe weakest is the wrong word. Most reckless? Stubborn? well, anyway, as for how good a poker player May is, there's a lot more to being a good player than being able to read people. At the end of the day, results matter, and her result is that she's in serious debt and having to rely on the compassion of friends and strangers. I guess I'm also a bit prejudiced, because I have heard of acquaintances who think they're good gamblers and borrow money and lose it all, and hope to make it all back in one big killing etc etc. Which is also why, if Galdur gives Maytag back her money, I will feel as if she's getting off too lightly. Sure, may just wanted to make enough money to achieve her dreams through gambling. But at the end of the day, who doesn't? I guess I just feel the resemblance to many people who've destroyed their lives through gambling problems and seeing may like this makes me feel a little uncomfortable... ... I know it's only a comic, but IRL, if one of my friends had just lost a huge amount of borrowed money gambling, and someone came up to them and said "no no, you're actually very talented, you should keep on playing", I would probably punch them in the face. Or at least freak out. And again, I have to remind myself this is just a comic, in anticipation of what's coming next: I get the nasty feeling that the comic is going to deliver the anti-public service annoncement of "How do you get out of large gambling debts? The solution is to borrow even more money and try to make it all back at the gambling tables!"

Suddenly occured to me the "normal" way that young attractive women have to pay back gambling debts. I don't think that's going to happen in this case though. Too much drama.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:14:23 am by jasonred79 »

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2011, 10:30:32 am »
Anyhow, even if Maytag "had to" play the biggest game in town, there's 5 players on her table, so that's 3 other players for her to fleece. From the looks of it, she seems to be the first one to get knocked out, so I am under the impression that she went head to head with Galdur the whole time? Or maybe she's just the most aggresive player on the table. Mmm.

She didn't have to play it, but if she wants to make such large amounts of money quickly it's the only alternative.  And also it's not a tournament, it's a cash game, so no one gets "knocked out," players can buy back in as much as they want, and leave whenever they feel like it.  There's obviously a lot more of the game I didn't show, so you can just assume she played with the other players as well.

Well, maybe I should have put (a few hours later...) in a narration box just so that people wouldn't have this misconception...

Which is also why, if Galdur gives Maytag back her money, I will feel as if she's getting off too lightly.

Don't worry.  If the end result was going to be no change, I wouldn't have bothered with the poker game.  She will not get that money back the easy way.

jasonred79

« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2011, 10:56:54 am »
No, I get that it was a few hours later. What I'm wondering is whether the other players were losing as heavily as Maytag or whether they were managing to keep their losses down. Did the other players get wiped out and have to buy back in multiple times, or was Maytag the big loser for the night? Or did the other players just have much much deeper pockets than Maytag?

Well, I guess I'm the only person on the forums who was wondering all this... I guess the other readers just concentrate on Maytag and Galdur and sort of ignore the other 3 players on the table... hmm. For that matter, I'm quite interested in how the place works. Did they change dealer partway? At one point I see some dude in a suit and wig acting as dealer, and at another point some lady in a black dress seems to be dealing the cards. Or am I mistaken?

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2011, 11:11:43 am »
What I'm wondering is whether the other players were losing as heavily as Maytag or whether they were managing to keep their losses down. Did the other players get wiped out and have to buy back in multiple times, or was Maytag the big loser for the night? Or did the other players just have much much deeper pockets than Maytag?

That's the sort of thing I need to leave to your imagination, but one thing I'll say is that considering this it the biggest game in town, it's reasonable to assume most of the players have deep pockets.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2011, 01:53:25 pm »
Brion's post count is mesmerising.

Yeah, cash game.  It could easily be a game thats been going non-stop for months or even years.  Dealers rotate and take shifts, players come and go, etc.

As Brion said, they have deep pockets in a game like that.  The other players are probably regulars who play a bit more cautiously around Gladur due to his reputation.  Maytag, on the other hand, is the kind of person who goes for the full attack.  She's too competitive to let it go and not test her skill to find a way to crack him.

"Once I set my mind to something, I do it. And I never crack."
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2011, 12:39:23 pm »
Why has May to tell Bern that Prostitution is a noble profession? IIRC Bernadette grew up in a brothel, so she should have a first hand view on how noble or not the prostitutes in Flipsideworld are.

Pwncho

• Harem Master
  • The bedsheet ghost
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2011, 02:23:20 pm »
Entrepreneurship in a noble profession?

I wouldn't mind in the slightest ;)

Besides, it's only a little dabble.
Mercury or bust