Author Topic: Chapter 28: Discussion  (Read 35864 times)

parameciumkid

• Kinky
  • http://helia.heliohost.org
    • AOL Instant Messenger - parameciumkid
    • View Profile
    • Helia - The Girl in the Yellow Dress
Re: Chapter 28: Discussion
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2011, 08:08:00 am »
No, Maytag, it is you who has the medium-sized pair. ;D
Hi.
I've been out for two years, so warn me if I act like I missed something obvious. ^^;

...oh, and to anyone who missed me, I'm open to hugs, kisses, and intense tearful cuddles.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2011, 09:34:07 am »
that TOTTALY flashed through my mind
Hehehe! Good Pun. Maytag just got played by a card shark. He LET her win the first hand, and is now going to win the last.

Ryuu

• Experimental
  • I like robot ninja chocolate monkeys!
    • MSN Messenger - r_y_u_u@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2011, 10:55:17 am »
I dobt may is bad enough to get sharked that easy

Flipside desktops, knock yourself out.
now with more pictures!

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2011, 01:50:42 pm »
Well this is all compressed time. Brion has to show that this guy is better then Maytag, but he can't waste time re-establishing that Maytag is also good. (If that is indeed Brion's plan for this scene.) It can be very tricky to make a scene like this without coming off as a Bag of Spilling.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BagOfSpilling

I also agree that Maytag will probably lose this pot, but then win it back. And Galdur is attractive, so I have a feeling that some kind of fanservice might be involved as well...  ;)
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2011, 02:20:41 pm »
It can be very tricky to make a scene like this without coming off as a Bag of Spilling.

The closest to "Bag of Spilling" would have been when Maytag lost her dimension bag a few chapters ago.  Since the money she's playing with now it borrowed, it's not the same thing even if she loses it.

Alcapter

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2011, 02:06:58 pm »
dont know why but i have a bad feeling Maytag is gonna lose this one.

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2011, 02:50:26 pm »
dont know why but i have a bad feeling Maytag is gonna lose this one.

I find myself concurring...   :-[

Ryuu

• Experimental
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2011, 02:53:48 pm »
it's the way it's written, makes it quite clear that this hand is important, therefore, she looses
(the whole all in thing kinda makes it important too, but the way it is written is more so, i would expect her to loose this hand even if she hadn't have gone all in)

now with more pictures!

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2011, 04:49:40 am »
Telepath was the first thing I thought of as well, but they'd have pretty intense magick detectors there, so you'd think they could pick up on something like that, particularly in a town like Eschelon.

Something doesn't feel right here, but it could just as easily be that the guy really is good and Maytags met her match.

Maytag is confident, impulsive and impatient.  Its likely that she would seek the biggest poker game so she could get the money as fast as possible with the presumption that she'd come out on top.  If she truly hasn't met her match in many years, as she indicates, then there's no reason for her not to hit the high-roller's tables.

It was $1,000 buy in.  But she borrowed $3,000 from Glyph, so provided she didn't buy in over that amount, she can buy back in at least twice before she's cleaned out.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2011, 01:40:42 am »
OUCH! Called her.

I note that he opened both eyes. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Other option is that he could see something past her poker face, maybe spotting a tell, or maybe he took a chance so he could confirm a tell for the future.  If he's spotted something, then she's done for until she can figure out what he's worked out.

Eversist

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2011, 04:14:00 am »
Well, didn't she bet the rest of her chips anyway? So she's out of money, and out.

The only way that she's not outta there is if he's bluffing, too. Right? My poker knowledge is spotty.

Edit: Ohhhh. So she has $2,000 still?

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2011, 04:56:48 am »
May was all in meaning she put in all of her money
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2011, 05:40:08 am »
Ok, I'm no poker expert, but he only has one pair (king). Wouldn't Maytag just need "three of a kind" to beat him? We haven't seen her hand, but she shouldn't need aces to beat a pair, unless the rules for this table are a bit odd.

Yeti

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2011, 07:22:25 am »
Ok, I'm no poker expert, but he only has one pair (king). Wouldn't Maytag just need "three of a kind" to beat him? We haven't seen her hand, but she shouldn't need aces to beat a pair, unless the rules for this table are a bit odd.

The only hole cards we know of is May's ace. They both have the pair of kings so those are essentially cancelled out - which is why she's announced ace high. Her other card has not hit the board and will likely prove an insignificant kicker. If as she predicted he has a medium pocket pair then he's won it. If he has just one of his cards paired then he has it. The chances of May having won the pot here are.. well non-existant really unless the fellow is trying to gift her chips.

Ryuu

• Experimental
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2011, 08:50:39 am »
can't say that came as a surprise

now with more pictures!

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2011, 09:41:03 am »
It seems like he has probably cheated in some way to beat Maytag. I hope that's not the case, I would have preferred it that if he beat her he did it using skill alone.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2011, 11:35:31 am »
Maytag does still have 2000 gold left at this point, since she only bought in for 1000.  In a normal poker game, you aren't allowed to put more chips on the table in the middle of a hand.

They both share the pair of kings so the kings do sort of "cancel out," unless one of them had a smaller 2 pair in which case the kings would counterfit that two pair.  (So if someone had 8's and 3's, the 3's would be counterfitted by the Kings and they would instead have King's and 8's.)  Maytag announces "ace high" because she only has the kings on the board, so essentially all she has is an Ace kicker.  If Galdur has any pair other than the Kings, he wins.

Also, if any of you have watched poker on TV before, you may be more used to watching tournaments.  This game is a cash game, which means the blinds don't raise, which means there's no hurry to win all the money.  So in this sort of game, a large bet on the river is normally a much bigger deal, and almost always means a very strong hand.  Although at the high levels of internet poker, everyone plays aggressively all the time, so you never know.

And yes, those are anti-cheating devices in the room.  I'll just go ahead and tell you that there isn't any cheating going on in this game, just so you know.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:37:24 am by Brion Foulke »

Alcapter

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2011, 12:57:57 pm »
And yes, those are anti-cheating devices in the room.  I'll just go ahead and tell you that there isn't any cheating going on in this game, just so you know.
shoot, and i was betting that the guy is cursed/gifted with the future telling ability (like he can see the future with his right eye when its closed), so he could behave differently and change th future :P,

or maybe that is stupid :P

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2011, 01:40:07 pm »
I'm pretty sure I would never have any time traveling/reading abilities in Flipside just because I don't believe it makes sense for time to be a tangible thing.  So one of the limitations on magic in the Flipside universe would be that magic can't in any way effect time.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2011, 03:55:20 pm »
Some of them play it as more of a guesswork type of thing.  So you're seeing the possibilities of the future based on what your magick can pick up about present and past events but the further forward you go, the more possibilities you're dealing with and the wilder the probabilities get based on the predictions and presumptions the magick needs to make on what the factors are doing.

You fire a gun and its fairly easy to predict what the bullet will be doing when its a metre away from the gun because you're not looking to far forward from the moment of shooting.  But try and predict what it'll be doing 500 metres from the gun and it gets harder as gravity becomes more of a factor together with wind resistance, breezes, temperatures, moisture and obstacles between the gun and 500 metres away, not to mention the chance of the bullet tumbling as it looses velocity.  Certainly, there are many computer models that could calculate it with some accuracy based on the data, but its still only a estimate, even for the short time it would take the bullet to travel that distance, since its working on all the factors as it believes they will exist at the time of the shooting.

In this case, our poker guru would have to use magick to see back through time on a player's previous games and playing style to compile a good prediction of what Maytag might do beyond what she's presented at the current table game.  But it would have to be done before the game so you go into it with more knowledge but no enchantment.  Otherwise its likely that some kind of viewing magick like that which can pick up the details from a long time ago could be used to simply see the cards as Maytag picked them up only a few moments ago.  Another, probably easier, method would be to read Maytag's memories somehow, or obtain her previously read memories from whoever has them to know all she remembers about her own playing style.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2011, 10:18:32 pm »
Isn't good poker playing essentially playing your hands correctly, then staying alert to your opponent as best you can and only bluffing occasionally and when you need to? Seems like bluffing too much would screw up your ability just play your cards when you have good ones.

"3 kings? I'll guess I'll pretend that I have nothing and fold if anyone calls!"  ::) Doesn't make any sense to me.

EDIT: And Maytag's big red eyes in panel 7 are adorable!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:01:07 pm by RoninAngel »
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2011, 11:12:20 pm »
Isn't good poker playing essentially playing your hands correctly, then staying alert to your opponent as best you can and only bluffing occasionally and when you need to?

That's the ideal way to play against amateurs, yes.

But at the very high levels of play, players are extremely aggressive and bluff all the time.  "Balance" becomes extremely important, which basically means that for any given action, you want to bluff about the same amount as you make value bets, otherwise you will be too predictable.  If you simply play your cards, your opponents will always know what you have and will destroy you.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2011, 02:36:14 pm »
shoot, and i was betting that the guy is cursed/gifted with the future telling ability (like he can see the future with his right eye when its closed), so he could behave differently and change th future :P,

Oh, I forgot something!  Actually, it's already mentioned in the comic that time travel magic is impossible:

http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=870

Ryuu

• Experimental
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2011, 05:38:29 pm »
the thing is, that chaos theory does allow, to a certain extent the future to be predicted, if he could somehow understand the momentary status of every particle of matter int hat room, he could predict the future with a reasonable degree of acuracy

if we had a computer powerfull enough, and where able to program the exact state of every single atom in the universe into it, we could predict the future with 100% accuracy (of corse, a computer large enough to store that data and perform calculations on it would be many times the size of the universe!(unless it was hyper dense, it would still however take more matter than there is in the universe))

now with more pictures!

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2011, 05:43:27 pm »
That's true, but at that point you're requiring computers to be near-omniscient, and I don't know if such a thing is even possible, let alone achievable.

As far as magic is concerned, I think that in order for such a thing to be possible, a person's power would have to be at a near-god level.

Ryuu

• Experimental
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2011, 06:42:18 pm »
tbh, he wouldn't even need to know that much to know what cards may has

now with more pictures!

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2011, 06:53:00 pm »
But if it's just about knowing her cards, there's no need for "predicting the future" magic, he simply needs clairvoyance.

Ryuu

• Experimental
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2011, 08:37:45 pm »
true, i kinda shot myself in the foot there, i was merely making the point that it would be possible to know the future, not that it would be practical in this situation

now with more pictures!

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2011, 12:42:00 am »
WOW! He bet on sixes!  She could have had higher pocket pairs, the Kings or possibly even have paired with the eight on the Turn or tripsed the three or two with pocket pairs.

I actually like the idea that Maytag might not be the greatest player in all of Iscariot.  She can still earn money here, from the others, but she'll have to remain weary of this guy or he'll clean her out of it again.  It could even be a tactic of his to make good players wary of pulling a big bluff on him so they play meekly against him... I suspect Maytag would go the opposite way and match his aggressive stance to fight through... Maybe she'll even gime him another Hero Call to appear more prone then buy back in the third time and lure him into a third one while she has a good hand.

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2011, 07:40:21 am »
Her shock is very, very apparent and makes me wonder if she's exaggerating to lead him into a false sense of security.