Author Topic: Happy Dreamcast Day!  (Read 4100 times)

Zweihander

Happy Dreamcast Day!
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:41:44 pm »
September 9th, 1999... the launch of the one of the best (and most ill-fated) consoles known to man. If you have a Dreamcast, celebrate. Play some good ol' Dreamcast games, whether they're legit or bootleg CD-R's. If I wasn't headed out of state tomorrow, I'd be spending all day playing Bangai-O and Mars Matrix, and perhaps some Giga Wing, Triggerheart Exelica, and Zero Gunner 2 on the side.

After its early demise in the US (largely thanks to Sega's poor marketing, something they've sucked at ever since the Sega CD), the Dreamcast kept kicking in Japan as the #1 system for arcade ports due to the ease in porting games to it. The last commercial game (authorized by Sega and such) was Triggerheart Exelica, in 2007. Additionally, such games as Rez, Ikaruga, and Shenmue II were ported to different systems for American release after their Japanese Dreamcast exclusivity due to high demand. It's been 11 years and homebrew games are still being mass-produced and marketed on renowned online sites such as Play-Asia.

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES, COME ON.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:47:14 pm by Zweihander »

akashayi

Re: Happy Dreamcast Day!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 01:18:51 am »
The death of the dreamcast still makes me sad.

Cynthia

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:13:04 pm »
The Dreamcast was way ahead of its time. It was the PS2 before the PS2, if it weren't for the fact that Sega's brand was so untrusted at that point it may have taken off. It was very advanced though, that was certain.

Zweihander

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:21:03 pm »
Up until that point in history (it may have been surpassed in the last decade, I haven't checked) Dreamcast had the best launch of any console, objectively. It sold more units initially, due to a strong lineup of highly-anticipated first-party titles (like Sonic Adventure) and third-party hits (like Soul Calibur). However, lack of support after its initial year, plus the lack of DVD support, EA Games support, and the ease of piracy brought it to its knees before the PS2.

Still, for those who remember, or for anyone in the future who discovers this little white box for themselves, the Dreamcast was an amazing system with a unique array of AAA titles. Much like the Saturn before it, its library may have been small in comparison to its Sony competition, but within that small quantity lies an unparalleled quality for both generations in question.

DruffyB

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 12:29:24 pm »
Mybrother has our Dreamcast and all the games....
this makes me sad...