Author Topic: What Is Emo and What the Fuck is A Hipster?!?!?!?!?!?????  (Read 7574 times)

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
What Is Emo and What the Fuck is A Hipster?!?!?!?!?!?????
« on: August 17, 2010, 04:14:39 pm »
Basically "Hipsters" and "Emo" was brought up in the pop culture forum. I find these words very confusing, if semi-useless. No one seems to know what they actually mean, but everyone seems to like to call these names to people they hate.
I am curious about y'all's thoughts.
Also, I'm transplanting my reply from the previous thread. Enjoy!  :-*
I love my chemical romance! 

I also really like Fall Out Boy. And I LOVE LINKIN PARK SO MUCH IT MAKES ME WANT TO DIE! [holds up hands in devil horns!/]
Do Blink 182 count? How about that My Own Worst Enemy by Lit??? 

These so-called "hipster" and "emo" bands are some of the only somewhat hard sounding rock and punk bands on the radio. I think a lot of them are really good. I also love a lot of so-called "symphonic" and "goth" metal and I don't care if Evanescence used to be a Christian band or if Within Temptation is foreign.  I love "hipster music", apparently. 

I don't like the crappy fashions of worn by a lot of hipster kids (such as skinny jeans, if I wore those my balls would simultaneously stick out and ride up). I don't hang out at brew pubs. I hate fat tire (although to be fair I hate all beer), dislike going to live shows, I would never be needlessly rude to someone if I worked at a coffee shop, or music store or whatever. I definitely am not in the financial bracket that a lot of the things on "Stuff White People Like" but I still think that site is hilarious. Regardless of weather I can afford all of it, almost everything on that site could either be applied to myself or someone I know. I love Asian Girls, Religions That My Parents Don't Belong To, Dogs and Hummus for instance. 
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/full-list-of-stuff-white-people-like/

I fucking hate the idea that something (especially music) is cooler the more obscure it is, and I although I like Irony, "post-irony" and/or being so sarcastic that you aren't sure whether you are actually not telling the truth is both baffling and nauseating to me.

So am I a hipster?

Many might say yes, even though the folks I hang out with all swear up and down that they hate hipsters and not being anything like them. I think hipster mostly just "liberal white person who seems trendy and you don't like".

EDIT: Also, I am at a loss about what to say about Questionable Content, "the quintessential hipster webcomic" I like the comic okay in general, but I find most of the characters alternately identifiable and fun or hair-pulling-ly annoying. I almost stopped reading it because of all the super-annoying indy-rock references and then they suddenly disappeared. So what the fuck does that say?
[quote/]
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Zearth

Re: What Is Emo and What the Fuck is A Hipster?!?!?!?!?!?????
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 05:44:12 pm »
Hipster=Modern Hippie (nobody does the 60s version really but we still have the hippies)

Emo=Overly emotional person who is in need of constant attention and seems to dress as a cheap imitation of goth (originally started as a music genre that consisted of sad songs that caused an emotional response and has slowly become guys crying about how much they hate life)

But thats just my biased opinion (and btw i have been called both but i feel i am more hipster to be sure)

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:58:18 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(contemporary_subculture)

Quote: "Hipster is a slang term that first appeared in the 1940s, and was revived in the 1990s and 2000s often to describe types of young, recently-settled urban middle class adults and older teenagers with interests in non-mainstream fashion and culture, particularly alternative music, indie rock, independent film, magazines such as Vice and Clash, and websites like Pitchfork Media.[1] In some contexts, hipsters are also referred to as scenesters.[2]

"Hipster" has been used in sometimes contradictory ways, making it difficult to precisely define "hipster culture" because it is a "mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior(s)."[1] One commentator argues that "hipsterism fetishizes the authentic" elements of all of the "fringe movements of the postwar era—beat, hippie, punk, even grunge," and draws on the "cultural stores of every unmelted ethnicity" and "gay style", and "regurgitates it with a winking inauthenticity."[3]"

If that makes sense.

Most uses you will see, especially around the internet these days, refer to "young white person that's into indie stuff" or "young white person into weird stuff you don't like" much like "emo" means "young white person obsessed with depressive-histrionic behavior" which was nothing to do with the "Emo" subculture or music as such, similar to how "goth" means "young white person obsessed with dark and macabre stuff that wears all black" with has nothing to do with the actual Goth subculture.

It was my fault for using the word carelessly, I didn't think it'd turn into some kind of big deal.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:55:06 am by CrystalDragonSpaceMarine »

Zearth

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 08:49:09 am »
That does seem to be the main view on hipster but i personally dont agree with that. Not to mention my iPhone's dictionary defined the synonyms as "flower child, hippie"

But i suppose all words have different meanings to different people

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 11:56:15 am »
That does seem to be the main view on hipster but i personally dont agree with that. Not to mention my iPhone's dictionary defined the synonyms as "flower child, hippie"

But i suppose all words have different meanings to different people

I have never seen hipster equivalated to hippie. The main element of being a hipster is the idea of "cool". Hippies are more about peace, love, and nature and whatever.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 01:05:33 pm »
No, hippies are all about marijuana and acid and hipsters are about coffee and artisan beer.  ;)
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Zearth

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 05:40:49 pm »
well because of being called hipster and wanting a clear definition i looked it up and it said hippie so to protect my self esteem ill just keep it at that personally then (not to mention i prefer marijuana to beer anyways)