Author Topic: WikiLeaks and reactions to it  (Read 1957 times)

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
WikiLeaks and reactions to it
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:57:24 pm »
In the recent months, an Austrailian named Julian has made a few more or less vividly discussed videos and documents availiable on his web domain WikiLeaks, Many of these revolve around behaviour of coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Yesterday, another batch of 91k 'secret' documents were published, and frankly I was a bit phazed, not by the revelations but by the reactions to the publishing.
To me, the reactions carry an air of sociopathic reasoning, that the most focus and outcry isn't even touching the thought of demanding responsibility for the atrocities revealed by those in charge, but instead is more concerned about how the documents were leaked and that the contents of the documents poses a threat to, mailny US 'national security' and the safety of coalition troops in the middle east.

In my eyes, that reaction is more than a little preposterous and imbecile, since ALL substantial threats to US national security can be DIRECTLY deducted from the way US forces and agencies have, on presidential orders and directives or by administrations willfully turning a blind eye, acted in the field in foreign operations, mainly in the middle east, africa and asia since the 1950's! And that could be made by anyone with a little basic knowledge of modern history and applied logic.

EDIT: Links
1) CBS http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/07/26/world/main6713230.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

2) WikiLeaks http://www.wikileaks.org/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:00:23 pm by Emp_Dragon »

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
Re: WikiLeaks and reactions to it
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:59:46 pm »
Well, I can tell you that the "collateral murder" video was mostly bullshit. Not read anything from the new leaks, but IIRC, they're a bit out of date.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:03:02 pm »
I haven't vested that much energy into that video, for me it was more or less a shrug and a confirmation on why not to send kids to offencive wars...

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 02:03:35 pm »
Thing is he also risks operational security to those currently serving in Afgahnistan by revealing these documents. Watched a news program where he accoused the ISAF troops of war crimes but when pressed by reporters by what he meant he tried to fob them off and change the subject by saying they have to wait thier turn to ask questions and by selecting another reporter.  To me this bloke is a total ARSE just wanting his time in the news and has no concept of how he is putting others in danger by his foolish actions
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:36:03 am »
In terms of the concept of WikiLeaks, I don't agree with it.  It is essentially an invasion of privacy at the very least, and theft at worst (such as the leak of a fraternity's -- sorority's? -- initiation ceremy procedure).  I can understand the desire for less secrecy, but this is the wrong way to go about it.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 05:52:37 pm »
My understanding is that the documents didn't even get to WikiLeaks first so if they'd already leaked to the public domain then WikiLeaks just seems to be the main one taking the blame for widespread publication of them.  It could just as easily have been uploaded into a torrent site.  The real focus needs to be on finding the leak/s in their security rather than attacking the publisher but I guess its easier for the military and governments to redirect public anger and outrage at another source rather than deal with any heat that the documents might deal on them.

As for any attrocities listed in the documents (if there are any) then obviously those concerned should face the various agencies to be judged guilty or innocent.  What concerns me is if there are attrocities that the military are attempting to cover up.  Sure, shit happens in wars and I don't condemn people for mistakes that cost innocent lives in what can only be a situation of chaos, but there's no need to cover it up, you investigate and make corrections/changes to procedures if necessary to reduce repitition if possible.  In the case of blatantly willful attrocities that aren't mistakes, I most certainly believe these cases need to be prosecuted.  Certainly the accused might argue the insanity of the situation if they are guilty but the important thing is that its investigated and judged one way or another rather than covered up.  Heck, make them private military trials if necessary, the important thing is that if documents like this are leaked, you can come out and say that investigations, trials and judgements with convictions where applicable, where made for each incident and victims compensated where possible or necessary.

Apparently WikiLeaks did go over the documents for a number of weeks before releasing them.  Makes me wonder what they refrained from publishing, if anything, but I disagree with comparing military/government secrecy with personal privacy.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!