Author Topic: Intermission 18: Discussion  (Read 20122 times)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
Re: Intermission 18: Discussion
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 10:55:45 pm »
I dunno... Moss supporting or uplifting someone?

Then again, maybe Moss just like's people's "ugly side" better.  I guess he would have some understanding for her considering the trouble he's made to hide the appearance of his eyes.

Heck, we don't even know why Fata Morgana is working for the Thin Man yet.  I'm a little doubtful she would be doing it for all this "truth of the world" stuff.  I can only guess there was a promise to alter her real, physical appearance or something.

Also... Is Fata Morgana black?  I'm just wondering about those puffy lips where were commonly used to depict southern African Americans in old Warner Bro's cartoons.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 07:43:23 am »
"Southern African Americans"? Isn't that a little too generous?
If your talking about the same cartoons I'm thinking of, Horrifingly Racially Insensitive Characatures might be alittle more accurate.  ;)

Also, I think her full lips are sexy. And they make her look more distinctive. My family all has full lips, and we're of French-Spanish and French-Polish-English descent.
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

akashayi

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 11:06:41 am »
I'm guessing, looking at those scars, Fata was another experiment of the Thin Man's.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 06:24:23 pm »
Hard to say.  Clarion had her asphixia to allow her inbuilt abilities.  Bloody Mary's marks were scars from healing wounds she gained after the Thin Man changed her.  Only her claws and eyes (maybe teeth) were physically different.

http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=678

I never quite know what to think about the prejudice behind those old Warner Bro characatures.  I mean, sure it was prejudice as a good portion of white America was back in that day, but at the same time it was also accurate to an extent.  Lets face it, they do have bigger lips while white people tend to have much more narrow ones, but due to the whole issue of prejudice you can't depict them like that any more but for me its like trying to depict a grown woman with a man's chest and no hips.  Cartoons need to pull the characature format a bit to correctly display then in the simple cartoon forms that people can easily recognize.

As for the way they acted and the format they were presented in, it was obviously an over-exageration of their manner, heavily leaning towards the stereotypical Southern South American, but so to is Yosemite Sam an exageration of either Southern White Americans or Wild West ones running around and shooting into the air, getting easily angry or insulted, etc.

...But yeah, I like her puffy lips *shrug*

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 10:36:54 pm »
I don't mind the full lips so much as the fact that the lips are a lighter colour then the rest of their skin. In real life, all the black people I've met have a similar or darker colour lips then the rest of their body, just like white people. I think it's ugly and unrealistic is why it bugs me.

Also full lips are not exclusive to black people, Charles.  ;)

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 12:12:02 am »
Hmmm. So we find out what fata really looks like. That's intresting. She doesn't seem that bad actually. The marks remind me of tatoos I like tatooed girls.

Admittedly, it is horrifically tough to draw ugly people in anime style without making them look ridiculous.

I dunno... Moss supporting or uplifting someone?

Being supportive and uplifting can be an excellent manipulation tool.

I never quite know what to think about the prejudice behind those old Warner Bro characatures.  I mean, sure it was prejudice as a good portion of white America was back in that day, but at the same time it was also accurate to an extent.  Lets face it, they do have bigger lips while white people tend to have much more narrow ones, but due to the whole issue of prejudice you can't depict them like that any more but for me its like trying to depict a grown woman with a man's chest and no hips.  Cartoons need to pull the characature format a bit to correctly display then in the simple cartoon forms that people can easily recognize.

There's a difference, though.

Take a look:

Afro Samurai. His features make him look obviously black, but not ridiculously exaggerated.

Now, blackface:

In your analogy of depicting a woman, this example is making them look like Eiken and saying "Hey, real women have tits, that's what they look like".

There’s a difference between highlighting features for caricature or for a cartoony style, and then there’s exaggerating those feature to highlight their foreign nature as something to be ridiculed and denigrated.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 06:01:21 am »
awww, I do believe Fata has a crush on Moss.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 08:53:20 am »
Yeah, it's certainly a pet the dog for Fata, but I don't know if it's one for Moss...
I like Fata. I hope we can see her super cute true form again soon.  :-*

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2010, 09:22:07 pm »
@CDSM: yes but those are two VERY different animation formats.  Afro Samuri is obviously supposed to be a much more realistic style despite still leaning to some mild characature while the other format is incredibly simple and exagerates these features much more.

You're comparing a detailed format of Japanese anime to a very simplistic American Cartoon format where the characters have only three fingers and are generally less realistic even than the Tezuka style of Japanese Animation.

Although if we do look at Tezuka's style applied to African Americans, we see than even that tends to put some emphasis on larger lips as opposed to almost any other character who simply has a line for their close mouth and no discolouration around it to suggest lips.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:24:08 pm by charles »

dorne

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 02:38:39 pm »
I'm intrigued by the relationship between Fata Morgana and Moss. One
can create illusions well, while the other can see the the weaknesses of
others involuntarily. Calling her by her true appearance, "a short ugly
girl, with bushy black hair and scars all over her body" Moss reveals to
Fata the few things she has kept secret from most people: herself. She
really does bear it all. Despite the way Moss says her weakness, he has no malice in his words, and only speaks the truth in that he can see her true self.

She transformed to Maytag in the intermission as her way of trying to use
her illusions to help someone else. "For you." This is possibly the first time I have seen Fata help someone gratefully.

There is also the deal with emotions, in which Fata states that the
incident with her and Moss she hadn't felt that much emotion in a long
time. Compare that to what she said earlier with Maytag, in which she
states that she is asexual, with no emotion on sexual acts. What she may
be looking for is not eros love, but a different love altogether.

Right now I have no reason to think that Fata will turn against Moss any time soon. Moss can read weaknesses, but he can't read minds, so anything is possible I suppose.

Also "Faytag" is hot in an innocent sort of way when she's doing using the illusion for Moss. Especially panels one and two in comic 1022.  :-*