Author Topic: Nine Circles Of Hell.  (Read 10408 times)

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
Re: Nine Circles Of Hell.
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 03:22:49 am »
Yeah well the other place is a bit dull  :-\
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Zearth

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 06:22:26 am »
by other place you mean heaven?

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 06:36:12 am »
Well what ever you want to call it. its a nice place to visit but I dont want to stay there lol

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 11:05:49 am »
Yeah well the other place is a bit dull  :-\

This reminds me of something.

I've always really like C.S. Lewis's portrayals of hell and heaven. Instead of the "hell is awful, but has all the good people and demons and is kind of a party really" and "heaven is really boring with clouds and harps and creamed cheese eating", Lewis's idea was that hell was really, really boring.

In Screwtape letters, the narrator complains about heaven playing music at all hours of the night and accuses God of being a hedonist for creating pleasure.

Of course, most Christians wouldn't have any of this, which is why Lewis was pretty chill in my book.

Zearth

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 03:10:58 pm »
I completely agree, C.S. Lewis has quite the idea of heaven and hell. but it almost just makes it seem like no matter where you go there is a downside where heaven is supposed to be your own personal paradise

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 07:58:43 pm »
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Zearth

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 08:13:20 pm »

thats amazing and definitely hell-like

tbeean

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 03:43:00 pm »
LMAO. got to love xkcd :')

and it would be hell. i'd never be able to get the tetris tune out my head D;

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 05:09:36 pm »
If you can get the circle filled up, just right, and get a few straight blocks, you might just be able to build a flat surface above it, with one gap, and then get it rolling.

...But being hell... I bet they removed the 4blockline :(
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Zearth

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 08:50:54 pm »
you only get squigly and reverse squigly

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2010, 11:28:07 pm »
That must be from what's his name that one guy, Dante, right?
Very little is said about hell in the new testament and pretty much less in the old testament. By the time of Dante i the middle ages the Catholic church has pretty much fucked the Christian religion irrevocably. Well not irrevocably, there are still some sects of Christianity that are pretty awesome, but the Catholic faith seems to me to be too full of twisted sex-negativism and guilt and fire-brimstone-horror to be healthy for people.

I'm just going to be reincarnated as an awesome person so see you guys next time!  ;D
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2010, 11:55:46 pm »
Nothing's said of hell in the Old Testament about hell because hell as such did not exist to Jews.

Most things refer to "the grave" (aka sheol), is just where you go when you die, good or bad (and probably didn't refer to an actual place, just a metaphore for oblivion/death.)

Though there's reference to a more hell-like "gehenna" as well, which seems to be more like purgatory (but this is coming from wiki, so i don't know).

In any case, I believe in Planescape's Great Wheel (though I'd probably end up in Hades...)

Zearth

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2010, 09:46:25 am »
christians are also taught that all our(everyone) sins are forgiven making it seem that nobody will go to hell anyways because we have a "clean slate" so to speak

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2010, 10:28:37 am »
Only other Christians get to be forgiven. If you don't accept that Jesus Christ is the human incarnation of the Almighty, you are pretty screwed. Basically, according to them, God thinks All Crimes are Equal and just by virtue of being a person and living your life you are guilty of enough sin to warrant eternal damnation. Catholics are even worse about this, claiming that you are born a sinner (I guess coming out of a vagina is too icky for the Almighty  ::)) and no matter what you do you'll be damned if you don't get baptized.
That's why in Dante's book ancient Greek philosophers that he respected like Socrates and Aristotle are in hell. They are guilty of living and dying before the invention of Christianity.

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2010, 10:46:54 am »
Only other Christians get to be forgiven. If you don't accept that Jesus Christ is the human incarnation of the Almighty, you are pretty screwed. Basically, according to them, God thinks All Crimes are Equal and just by virtue of being a person and living your life you are guilty of enough sin to warrant eternal damnation. Catholics are even worse about this, claiming that you are born a sinner (I guess coming out of a vagina is too icky for the Almighty  ::)) and no matter what you do you'll be damned if you don't get baptized.
That's why in Dante's book ancient Greek philosophers that he respected like Socrates and Aristotle are in hell. They are guilty of living and dying before the invention of Christianity.

The fucked up thing about this, and pardon me for goodwin'ing - Hitler has the blood of six million on his hands, and if he repents on his deathbed, he goes to heaven. Norman Bourlag, an athiest, has saved easily more than a billion lives to date, and that number increases every day, even after his death, but since he never accepted christ as his lord and saviour(because obviously, he had more important things to do, for example, saving the lives of over a billion people) is sent to never-ceasing, unimaginable torture for all eternity.

Dear Christians - WHAT THE FUCK?

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2010, 11:46:19 am »
Well, I think that there might be a thing in some denominations (the only one I know for sure about is Catholicism, ironically) Mortal Sin: things that you can't get into heaven if you do them before getting absolved of before you die. Aldoph Hitler committed suicide (witch is in itself is a mortal sin, to add to his many many other mortal sins) so obviously he didn't get off the hook before he died. So the Catholics are off the hook on that one. If Hitler had had an abortion, however, he wouldn't have had a chance to be absolved, however, becuase he would be automatically excommunicated::)

Josheph Stalin, however, might have been luckier, I don't really know enough about Georgian Orthodoxy, but depending on their beliefs on weather or not they support the whole mortal sin idea and weather it negates being baptized, he might have ended up in Heaven. It wouldn't matter if he happened to be the most virulently atheistic mass murderer in history, and is responsible for horrible crimes not just against his own people in general but the very Christian church  he was baptized in specific, murdering something like 100,000 priests and nuns and being responsible for closing something like 450,000 churches by the 1940s.

:(

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2010, 11:58:18 am »
Well, you can go two ways on Stalin - all of his actions against religion were purely political in nature. He left the Seminary he had a scholarship to because he thought that it was an imperialistic institution, he thought religion had to be crushed out to create an ideal communist society, but there is no indication that it was reflective of his personal beliefs, as best I know, as if a religion agreed with him, he wouldn't bother them, he'd stick with them.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2010, 12:05:31 pm »
christians are also taught that all our(everyone) sins are forgiven making it seem that nobody will go to hell anyways because we have a "clean slate" so to speak

Well, that's the big paradox. If Jesus died for everyone's sins, why do only Christians benefit from it?
That gives rise to the theory that people send themselves to hell, they could go if they wanted to, but "refuse" somehow. Which I think is pretty ridiculous to say about a lot of people.

Only other Christians get to be forgiven. If you don't accept that Jesus Christ is the human incarnation of the Almighty, you are pretty screwed. Basically, according to them, God thinks All Crimes are Equal and just by virtue of being a person and living your life you are guilty of enough sin to warrant eternal damnation.

Yeah, God demands perfection, and if you are imperfect, you must suffer eternally unless you buy into his plan.

Catholics are even worse about this, claiming that you are born a sinner (I guess coming out of a vagina is too icky for the Almighty  ::)) and no matter what you do you'll be damned if you don't get baptized.

Well, it's supposed to be that because Adam and Eve sinned, we inherited that "sin nature" from them (since we were "there" with them, i.e. up the chain of sperm and eggs, even though we didn't any choices). So you are born a sinner, but from a Protestant point, you don't get the blame til you sin freely and knowingly (which you will eventually do, since it is in your nature).

Yeah, again, Protestant say Christ died for everybody ever...though how you are supposed to be saved before Christianity is kinda fuzzy (unless you were a Jew that believed all the prophecies) or if you live now and never hear. Supposedly not knowing is no excuse because creation is evidence enough to deduce there is a God, to realize you're a sinner and need salvation and go on a quest to seek him (in which case he will help you find him) or something.

Of course, Catholicism also had Limbo (where Socrates and peeps are), for virtuous pagans and unborn/unbaptized babies. Basically it's not suffering like hell, but it's not a big party like heaven. And they have purgatory, which means if you're pretty good, but not totally repented and stuff, you get to "pay off" all your sins, which is much more logical than automatic, eternal punishment with no hope of parole.

The fucked up thing about this, and pardon me for goodwin'ing - Hitler has the blood of six million on his hands, and if he repents on his deathbed, he goes to heaven. Norman Bourlag, an athiest, has saved easily more than a billion lives to date, and that number increases every day, even after his death, but since he never accepted christ as his lord and saviour(because obviously, he had more important things to do, for example, saving the lives of over a billion people) is sent to never-ceasing, unimaginable torture for all eternity.

Dear Christians - WHAT THE FUCK?

I feel I should mention that the idea of "deathbed" conversion is rather exaggerated when tackling this issue. The kind of conversion necessary for salvation entails a lot more than saying, "Oh Lord God, forgive my many sins" our of fear or caution, you have to genuinely believe it, genuinely realize the extent of your sin, and genuinely repent for them. I find it unlikely someone like Hitler could do that over the course of a few moments before he dies.

It is messed up on the other side of things, though.

Well, I think that there might be a thing in some denominations (the only one I know for sure about is Catholicism, ironically) Mortal Sin: things that you can't get into heaven if you do them before getting absolved of before you die. Aldoph Hitler committed suicide (witch is in itself is a mortal sin, to add to his many many other mortal sins) so obviously he didn't get off the hook before he died. So the Catholics are off the hook on that one. If Hitler had had an abortion, however, he wouldn't have had a chance to be absolved, however, becuase he would be automatically excommunicated::)

Well, the idea of excommunication or losing your salvation is rather unbiblical.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2010, 12:11:08 pm »
And yet again, hell is probably an invention of the roman catholic sect that through the late roman emperors quelled all dissent by force. The logic behind this is that scared supersticious people are very easy to manipulate into obedience to authority.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2010, 12:16:05 pm »
And yet again, hell is probably an invention of the roman catholic sect that through the late roman emperors quelled all dissent by force. The logic behind this is that scared supersticious people are very easy to manipulate into obedience to authority.

Umm...no.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2010, 12:33:00 pm »
Well as a aircraft mechanic my personal hell will be working for a outfit working in the Canadian bush on out of date aircraft who's spares are hard to get. (think I've said this before  :-\ )

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2010, 02:22:11 pm »
Well, you can go two ways on Stalin - all of his actions against religion were purely political in nature. He left the Seminary he had a scholarship to because he thought that it was an imperialistic institution, he thought religion had to be crushed out to create an ideal communist society, but there is no indication that it was reflective of his personal beliefs, as best I know, as if a religion agreed with him, he wouldn't bother them, he'd stick with them.

I hate when people say this about Stalin. It doesn't matter why he did what he did against the church, his actions are unforgivable. Do you think the priests and nuns he has murdered were thinking "Oh well he's going to shoot me to death because of my religion, but that's okay because he is only converting everyone in the country to atheism for political convenience." 
And if he didn't believe that religion was so bad, it brings to mind, oh I don't know, WHY DID HE MURDER SO MANY PRIESTS AND NUNS?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:24:19 pm by RoninAngel »

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2010, 02:38:51 pm »

This is actually pretty much what I think. Most of the bad stuff in the religion is the fault of the hierarchy getting a hold of it.
I might be wrong but I heard that the early Christian faith was much more like a pretty mellow deal where you also had to thank Mother earth and stuff.

My brother read the dead sea scrolls when they were published in the early nineties and he really got into them.

Zearth

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2010, 08:40:25 pm »
christianity is also very well founded on pagan ideas/dates (such as christmas which was the celebration of the winter solstice or some such thing)

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2010, 10:20:59 pm »
This is actually pretty much what I think. Most of the bad stuff in the religion is the fault of the hierarchy getting a hold of it.
I might be wrong but I heard that the early Christian faith was much more like a pretty mellow deal where you also had to thank Mother earth and stuff.

My brother read the dead sea scrolls when they were published in the early nineties and he really got into them.

Some early church father (Origen I think) did believe in universal salvation. Some even believed that eventually Satan would come around. Which, to me, is the only system that makes sense because a God that only goes halvsies on his master plan is kinda...underwhelming.

But yes, Christians were supposed to be mellow. Meekness is a pretty strong theme. You don't get that now. Today's Christians are largely like the Pharisees in the Gospel (i.e. religious hypocrites). That was the whole point of Christianity's upposed "approval" of slavery, slaves were supposed to serve their masters cheerfully not because slavery was right, but because they were just supposed to be above all the selfish desires of their own freedom. Again, that kind of humility isn't something you see these days. And you can kind of tell that these writings were supposed to be changing with the times (just like Christianity threw out stuff like dietary laws when they weren't needed). Christians today are too focused on the letter of the law, instead of understanding the spirit behind that law (i.e. love thy neighbor). Everything is supposed to funnel back into that.

christianity is also very well founded on pagan ideas/dates (such as christmas which was the celebration of the winter solstice or some such thing)

That's only so far as holidays like Easter and Christmas go. Most of that is stuff invented by the Catholic church to distract from pagan holidays by filling in their own, and justifying it with birth of christ/resurrection memorial. Otherwise it's not founded on pagan ideas at all (unless you go way, way back to Babylonia, etc.).

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2010, 02:55:53 am »
And the catholics were one of the most violent and opressive early christian sects

Zearth

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2010, 10:17:12 am »
Yes all very true EMP, and CDSM i do mean if you go back to the actual foundings of the church and not just holidays.

But how are we not making fun of scientology yet? it seems to make fun of itself nowadays.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2010, 10:59:02 am »
Because it's not a religion, it's a fraudulent pyramid scheme!

And I think historical facts about my own faith is very interesting and that it's crucial to scrutinize how it has evolved to be able to separate true teachings from later political corruption, and thus be able to separate fellow faithful from the heretics. (WBC anyone?)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:04:12 am by Emp_Dragon »

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2010, 07:56:28 pm »
Yes all very true EMP, and CDSM i do mean if you go back to the actual foundings of the church and not just holidays.

I'd be interested in knowing what and where.

But how are we not making fun of scientology yet? it seems to make fun of itself nowadays.

Because scientology is so unbelievably stupid it's not fun anymore.

Zearth

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »

Because scientology is so unbelievably stupid it's not fun anymore.

You have seen the south park on it right? it just makes it so much more of a joke.